HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
e46330ivs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Totally different beast, though. I was talking about a non-quattro A4, so pretty much a civic with LED lights
wow Im a little behind on my product knowledge I had no idea Audi had a non all wheel drive vehicle, I would assume FWD since the engine sits over the axle?

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
wow Im a little behind on my product knowledge I had no idea Audi had a non all wheel drive vehicle, I would assume FWD since the engine sits over the axle?
Yep FWD. It's really not performance oriented. I hate that torque steer feeling...

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
coladin

Quote:
For potential raw power Audi as the advantage though, I have a buddy with an RS4 with a simple tune he's up to almost 550hp he blows the doors off my M3 in a straight line, but when we went to Tremblant last year was quite embarassing almost 5 second difference each lap and he had close to 200hp on me. The advantage I had was I run Michelins while he had lowly Pirelli's.
Yeah, but with if YOU were driving the Audi, hmmm?

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Yeah, but with if YOU were driving the Audi, hmmm?
Thats a great point he drives not to crash, I drive to post the best time possible, Ive never actually crashed at a track but there's been some close calls testing the limits, fortunately never in my own car. I've driven is RS4 in the Gatineau hills on a 2am run and no I dont feel as comfortable over 180kmh as I do in my M3.

Old
05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
coladin

Quote:
Thats a great point he drives not to crash, I drive to post the best time possible, Ive never actually crashed at a track but there's been some close calls testing the limits, fortunately never in my own car. I've driven is RS4 in the Gatineau hills on a 2am run and no I dont feel as comfortable over 180kmh as I do in my M3.
That last tight corner at Mt. Tremblant just before the pit straight i was in a 2013 CLS63 and in an attempt to be more aggressive I hopped the curb and the car went into crash mode. The seat belts went so tight I nearly passed out, the car thought I was going to flip! That was scary...

Old
05-15-2013, 03:31 PM
e46330ivs*

thats a tough hairpin to find the apex most people lose 1-2 seconds easy, I go really wide and cut in at the last second.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
That last tight corner at Mt. Tremblant just before the pit straight i was in a 2013 CLS63 and in an attempt to be more aggressive I hopped the curb and the car went into crash mode. The seat belts went so tight I nearly passed out, the car thought I was going to flip! That was scary...
Now try getting rammed by a ram(Irony?) while you sit in your ****box hyundai with no airbags. WOOOOW, I cheated death

Old
05-16-2013, 10:10 AM
coladin

Quote:
Now try getting rammed by a ram(Irony?) while you sit in your ****box hyundai with no airbags. WOOOOW, I cheated death
On Canada AM they discussed how those mini SUVs are not doing well in crash tests. Subaru was the only one that had a good rating while many, including Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape and the Kia Sportage among others all scored POOR.

Old
05-16-2013, 11:27 AM
coolasprICE

so what do you guys think are the odds that this car has rolled back mileage, accidented etc..

spoke to the dealer he says they have all the paperwork... but I imagine that could be fake too.

http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehic...AdIdZ415496336

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
so what do you guys think are the odds that this car has rolled back mileage, accidented etc..

spoke to the dealer he says they have all the paperwork... but I imagine that could be fake too.

http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehic...AdIdZ415496336
The car seems really clean.. 90K Is really plausible.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:46 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Got a letter from my Honda dealership saying that I'm eligible for a "free" upgrade to a 2013 model of equal or lower value if I trade-in my current car (2010 Civic EX-L).

Sounds too good to be true. Anybody ever experienced this?

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
Got a letter from my Honda dealership saying that I'm eligible for a "free" upgrade to a 2013 model of equal or lower value if I trade-in my current car (2010 Civic EX-L).

Sounds too good to be true. Anybody ever experienced this?
not an expert but I'm assuming you are in a lease or finance. You're at the point when you might churn with an other maker, and by breaking the contract early you are effectively returning a car that has more value now than at its expiration, so they'll resell it at a higher price while locking you in for x more amount of time.

Prices haven't gone up maybe (if I'm not mistaken, maybe new civics are cheaper now?) so you might want double check if your payments (assuming you have montly payments) are still aligned with current market prices.

I think Kia and others are really stealing market share of their loyal honda drivers. This is good news for the consumer and prices.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
The car seems really clean.. 90K Is really plausible.
i always like to investigate any kijiji or type of adds.

dug this one up on the dealer

ABC De L'Automobile
4276 Bd Metropolitain E, Saint-Léonard, QC H1S 1A2, Canada
+1xxx-xxx-xxx
1 review ·
"Ne Jamais acheter de voitures à cet endroit. C'est un voleur."

Hmm... Buy in confidence is my motto. After speaking to him for 1 minute on the phone + this 1 and only review, I'm going to save my precious time and follow my gut instincts.

I hear too many horror stories and scams from these small no-name dealers.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
not an expert but I'm assuming you are in a lease or finance. You're at the point when you might churn with an other maker, and by breaking the contract early you are effectively returning a car that has more value now than at its expiration, so they'll resell it at a higher price while locking you in for x more amount of time.

Prices haven't gone up maybe (if I'm not mistaken, maybe new civics are cheaper now?) so you might want double check if your payments (assuming you have montly payments) are still aligned with current market prices.

I think Kia and others are really stealing market share of their loyal honda drivers. This is good news for the consumer and prices.
thanks. your explanation makes sense. I'm currently financing at 0,9% with 2 years left.

The new model is comparable to the price in 2010.. maybe slightly lower. Was not looking for a new car, but I'll check it out out of curiosity

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
i always like to investigate any kijiji or type of adds.

dug this one up on the dealer

ABC De L'Automobile
4276 Bd Metropolitain E, Saint-Léonard, QC H1S 1A2, Canada
+1xxx-xxx-xxx
1 review ·
"Ne Jamais acheter de voitures à cet endroit. C'est un voleur."

Hmm... Buy in confidence is my motto. After speaking to him for 1 minute on the phone + this 1 and only review, I'm going to save my precious time and follow my gut instincts.

I hear too many horror stories and scams from these small no-name dealers.

Well... It costs nothing to go see!

If you or someone you know have some basis in mechanic you could just ask him to take a look...

Old
05-17-2013, 09:07 AM
e46330ivs*

Sold my M3 last night, possible new car tomorrow going to check this thing out in Toronto tomorrow, hope it looks as good in person as it does on the pics he sent me.
IMG_6665-1.jpg

Old
05-17-2013, 12:10 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Well... It costs nothing to go see!

If you or someone you know have some basis in mechanic you could just ask him to take a look...
actually it does. Time, and then extra precautionary steps since car is not certified and the burden of doubt and 2nd guessing. all are costs to me.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:23 PM
coladin

Quote:
Sold my M3 last night, possible new car tomorrow going to check this thing out in Toronto tomorrow, hope it looks as good in person as it does on the pics he sent me.
Attachment 64541
That looks delicious

Old
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
coolasprICE

You know I finally understand why people buy new.

It's just easier. Buying a used car is a real ****ing pain in the ass if you are looking for specific few models. You need time and patience for a worthwhile deal.

I'm thinking of just getting a new car from the U.S and drive it back. **** it.

It's just that I wanted to try a Subaru and all the new ones are nasty ugly imo. the nicest foresters and legacys were like from 05 to 07 more or less. The 2013-2014 look like every other car in the world.

They imo ruined the legacy with that typical round trunk. (sorry, not sure what else to call it).

Styling today for ''economy'' or 'mid-priced'' looks the same and I'm not such a fan

Old
05-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

It's just easier. Buying a used car is a real ****ing pain in the ass if you are looking for specific few models. You need time and patience for a worthwhile deal.

It's just that I wanted to try a Subaru and all the new ones are nasty ugly imo. the nicest foresters and legacys were like from 05 to 07 more or less. The 2013-2014 look like every other car in the world.

They imo ruined the legacy with that typical round trunk. (sorry, not sure what else to call it).

Styling today for ''economy'' or 'mid-priced'' looks the same and I'm not such a fan
I have purchased new from the US, it's not quite as simple as just driving it back.
The first hurdle is to find a dealer that will sell new to a Canadian, most dealer manufacturer agreements have terms that prevent US dealers selling new to Canadians.

Used is a different story. that's easy.

Also look for a car that is assembled in North America and under NAFTA, that save the payment of duty. You also have to make sure the car meets Transport Canada standards (daytime running lights, child seat tether bolt, bilingual air bag deployment warnings, immobilizer anti-theft, etc.)

Then there's the importation process that requires a recall letter from the manufacturer, an export of the VIN from the US, and the registering of the VIN in Canada with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

I just glossed over these steps and I don't mean to imply you haven't thought of these things, just letting you know.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:

Im going to Toronto to check out a used car tomorrow, taking the car right to Budd's BMW paying $90 for the inspection, if they give me thumbs up I buy, buying from the states is worthless nowadays, you want to talk headaches, having to pass vehicle threw customs is a nightmare and then most vehicle need headlight retro fit which isnt cheap on some vehicles, and some vehicles need seatbelt retro fit which again isnt cheap. Pay a reputable dealer to do a pre safety inspection and if they give you thumbs up you buy.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:17 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I have purchased new from the US, it's not quite as simple as just driving it back.
The first hurdle is to find a dealer that will sell new to a Canadian, most dealer manufacturer agreements have terms that prevent US dealers selling new to Canadians.

Used is a different story. that's easy.

Also look for a car that is assembled in North America and under NAFTA, that save the payment of duty. You also have to make sure the car meets Transport Canada standards (daytime running lights, child seat tether bolt, bilingual air bag deployment warnings, immobilizer anti-theft, etc.)

Then there's the importation process that requires a recall letter from the manufacturer, an export of the VIN from the US, and the registering of the VIN in Canada with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

I just glossed over these steps and I don't mean to imply you haven't thought of these things, just letting you know.
For sure. I noticed some dealers actually specialize with canadian customers... would they prepare or help with the paperwork?

Quote:
Im going to Toronto to check out a used car tomorrow, taking the car right to Budd's BMW paying $90 for the inspection, if they give me thumbs up I buy, buying from the states is worthless nowadays, you want to talk headaches, having to pass vehicle threw customs is a nightmare and then most vehicle need headlight retro fit which isnt cheap on some vehicles, and some vehicles need seatbelt retro fit which again isnt cheap. Pay a reputable dealer to do a pre safety inspection and if they give you thumbs up you buy.
ya, but if you are buying a car stock without much mods, most of these things are the same, no?

Old
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
For sure. I noticed some dealers actually specialize with canadian customers... would they prepare or help with the paperwork?

ya, but if you are buying a car stock without much mods, most of these things are the same, no?
Some dealers do specialize and they will do the paperwork. On my deal for my Honda Accord the dealer did the recall clearance letter and completed the paperwork for US customs.

On your other question many cars built in US for their market are compliant with transport Canada regs by default. My accord required no modifications .

If you arent sure pm me and I can take you through the process. Brokers will tell you it's difficult but that is to justify a fee.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:47 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Some dealers do specialize and they will do the paperwork. On my deal for my Honda Accord the dealer did the recall clearance letter and completed the paperwork for US customs.

On your other question many cars built in US for their market are compliant with transport Canada regs by default. My accord required no modifications .

If you arent sure pm me and I can take you through the process. Brokers will tell you it's difficult but that is to justify a fee.
Where in the USA did you buy??

Old
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Where in the USA did you buy??
Ray Laks Honda in Buffalo Ny

(I live in ontario)