HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michel Therrien NOT Finalist for the Jacks Adams

Old
05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I really disagree, I think we're leagues better at every position and in terms of depth and toughness than 06-09 Montreal Canadiens.
Our D was better back then. And honestly, if we don't improve at that position, I'd rather not see too many awards because we're not going to top 2nd place next year over a full season.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Joe Cole

While MT did a great job, the one thing that kept him off that list is that when the team suffered some setbacks, he did not get them back on track to where they were.

How much is his fault/responsibility, who hows, but that is how they measure coaching. How you bounce back.

I say congrats to MT. Next year, I expect even better.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I'm fine with that. Lots of good candidates.

Therrien was probably 4th.

We were very critical of Therrien this year, and for good reasons.

He did a good job, but I don't think he was one of the best coaches in the league this year.
Had the Habs remained FIRST in the conference, he would have been there over Boudreau, I am pretty sure.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Travis Moen

TBF he should be finalist for the worst coach in the NHL...

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

They might be biased towards late-season performance...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
They might be biased towards late-season performance...
They are, see the Ovechkin nomination for the Hart

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
While MT did a great job, the one thing that kept him off that list is that when the team suffered some setbacks, he did not get them back on track to where they were.

How much is his fault/responsibility, who hows, but that is how they measure coaching. How you bounce back.

I say congrats to MT. Next year, I expect even better.
Pretty much this. If this was an 82 game season and the team came out of it's post-Emelin slump, then he'd be in the top 3, but the team never came out of the slump even into the post season so we'll never know if he was a good coach or just on a hot streak in a shortened season until next year

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:48 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
How is Maclean a better candidate?
Half his team is based of AHLers??

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I didn't care much who was going to be nominated for that award, and to be honest Boudreau, McClean and Quenneville are all very good choices. I can totally see why they are the 3 nominated. I am going to go ahead and bet if there had been a 4th, Therrien would have been the guy. He was probably close behind those 3.

When we were hearing about Crawford, Hartley and Therrien, I felt all 3 were horrible choices. I wasn't happy or mad when Therrien got the nod because I felt Bergevin had the choice between poop, crap and excrement. But Therrien really exceeded my expectations. He was exactly what the doctor ordered. I won't claim to know how good technically he is because I don't have the type of knowledge necessary to judge that (I doubt anyone on this board does really), but one thing is sure, I don't remember the last time I've seen the habs carry the play like they did and be the best team night in night out over such a long period of time. I remember Carbo's habs finishing first based on no injuries and an incredible PP, but they weren't dominant like the habs were this year. Carbo's habs also had really strong goaltending. Huet/Price both played terrific that year.

Going into the season, I felt that we had a pretty weak lineup with no real star up front (Pacioretty could be that guy but he decided not to play like it this season). That said, we had a lot of depth on offense.

On D, we had a lot of questions going into the season. Emelin wasn't in too many people's heart to start the season from what I kept reading. At the beginning, he got a lot of flak too. He won people over by season's end though. People seemed to realize what he brought to the table when he got injured. Diaz had not really succeeded in establishing himself in his rookie season. Bouillon was hated from the get go. Subban was a hold out and missed training camp. Markov was a huge question mark due to having not played in the NHL for 3 years. It was a questionable defense that we had going into the season.

Price was supposed to be our best player but I didn't find we got to where we are because of his heroics. I thought we were the better team on the ice most nights and could have used better goaltending, especially at the end of the season.

Considering all that, you can't argue with the results. This is not a team of all stars. Compare with the hawks, the ducks... I don't find we compare very favorably.

How much of the turn around is due to Therrien, and how much to natural rookie additions, Prust, etc ? It's difficult to tell but I find a lot of people are dismissing Therrien because of early bias. The least you can say is that the team played a style favorable to its strength and which hid the team's weaknesses. He also got the team to show up and give the max they had for at least 40 games out of 48. It's rare that the team came out of the gate flat not ready to compete. For this, I give him full marks and maybe he wasn't the best technically, but I felt they got enough of that with Martin, and they were ready for something else. Eventually, Therrien's methods will get old and he'll be replaced and the cycle will begin anew but right now I had zero expectations and came away impressed.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
I'm fine with him not being nominated. There are enough people telling him how great he is, and how much he has changed for the better. The last thing we need is his head getting any bigger.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I'm fine with him not being nominated. There are enough people telling him how great he is, and how much he has changed for the better. The last thing we need is his head getting any bigger.
Has he given you the impression that he was getting a big head? If so, what do you base it on ?

I have seen so many posts with hateful undertones on Therrien since the team has been eliminated. It feels like the guy really came in with 2 strikes against him and couldn't possibly win points with some people.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

I can understand Maclean, and even Quinville since the Blackhawks had a season to remember. But, what the hell Boudreau? Anaheim has a relatively stacked team. Does he deserve credit for turning the ducks around? yeah, but the talent was there. There are 5 other coaches (including Therrien) I would nominate before Boudreau.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Has he given you the impression that he was getting a big head? If so, what do you base it on ?

I have seen so many posts with hateful undertones on Therrien since the team has been eliminated. It feels like the guy really came in with 2 strikes against him and couldn't possibly win points with some people.
Your previous post up above was spot on but you're wondering why he had 2 strikes on himself? Refer yourself to his two previous coaching stints and how they ended.

The man could not change the formula, win or lose*, and people are very sensitive to that.

*Hence the "big head" idea, he seems(/ed) too set in his ways

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

It was really just a comment in general not against MT. I personally feel that when coaches get too high on themselves they take the focus away from the team and more onto themselves. Therrien was not like this at all this season, and I would not want that to change.

I wasn't attacking him, as I feel he did a good job, especially with the young talent on the team. Sure I disagree with some of the ice time a few players got or didn't get but he has more experience in this matter than I do so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want MT to get Brian Burkeitis and become the face of the franchise over the players and if he is truly a team first guy, not being nominated will mean the same to me as to him - nothing.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I can understand Maclean, and even Quinville since the Blackhawks had a season to remember. But, what the hell Boudreau? Anaheim has a relatively stacked team. Does he deserve credit for turning the ducks around? yeah, but the talent was there. There are 5 other coaches (including Therrien) I would nominate before Boudreau.
Talent or not on the roster he still turned that team around, just like Therrien did. You can't blame him for having good players, if that's the case Queneville shouldn't be nominated either with guys like Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook on his roster..

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Stacked Team?

It's the same team that finished 2 points ahead of Montreal in 2011-2012, except that they lost Visnovsky and added Winnik, Allen and Souray.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Stacked Team?

It's the same team that finished 2 points ahead of Montreal in 2011-2012, except that they lost Visnovsky and added Winnik, Allen and Souray.
Exactly, aside from the known names like Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan and Selanne (and even then that's a stretch at this point of his career) they have a really average team.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed...no matter how much you might think, "oh all he has to do is open and close the door for his star players", he was gonna get nominated based off that no matter what.
Not that I care about this trophy, coaches can get fired the year they bring the team to the cup or win this trophy, and they last on average about 2.5years. So really, who cares.
I also think MacLean due to the injuries his team suffered is going to win this hands down.
That being said, Quenneville has some top end talent on his team, and they were favored to win the West. That doesn't mean it's an easy job, but when you look at the performances of other coaches, I rather focus on the ones that don't have as much elite talent and exceeded expectations.

This trophy is very unclear like a bunch of other ones. They never give Norris trophies to actual defensive Dmen. They don't give the Selke to an actual defensive checking center anymore. The Hart trophy isn't always given to the actual MVP of the team, I mean how is Crosby nominated when his team plays just fine without him.
So who's the best coach in the NHL, and why does it change every year?
Is Boudreau really a top 3 coach in the NHL because the Ducks played like garbage last year?
Should Therrien really be a nominee because our previous GM lost his cool and decided to put him a garbage coach that had no idea how to coach us, and also decided to sell assets leading us to a top 3 pick? I mean, I'm not taking anything away from Therrien, he still lead us to a division title, but just how much of it was really thanks to him is what I'm curious of.
PK continued his natural progression (he always took major progression steps in terms of development, this isn't new).
We finally got Markov back.
We got two very solid rookies that just fell into Therrien's lap.
Eller progressed on his own (I'm giving zero credit on Therrien for Eller. This kid has been pushed away by every single coach, low minutes, scratching, benching, defensive duties, other centers that are just as unproven and less promising were given more leeway and opportunities, no PP time, weaker linemates, etc. I give Eller 100% credit).
Bourque was determined to bounce back.
We added Prust who ended being very key for us.
Diaz had a solid start. Emelin did fairly well. These guys followed their footsteps from last year.

As I said, it could have been worse. If we had RC again here, I'm sure we'd have finished outside the POs.
What will be interesting is how Therrien follows through (likewise for Bergevin). We finished dead last in the East last year so it's kind of tough for people to set standards high after that. However, this year we finished at the top, so next year people will expect improvements and better results. We will see if they can provide them.

I swayed away from the subject, but all this to say, to me, the Jack Adams=Best coach, not most surprising results. Babcock is the best coach in the NHL with Bylsma behind. I don't think Boudreau or Therrien are even close to being the best coaches.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Djeez
Fower Porward

Good. Jack Adams is for the best coach, not the best motivator.

Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:50 PM
WhiskeySeven*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeez View Post
Good. Jack Adams is for the best coach, not the best motivator.
Cam on boys lets play with ******. Play 'ard, 'it them in da corners, Cam on boys, lets go! Lars your benched.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:52 PM
WhiskeySeven*

Hey mods, I have a question: why is respe.k a banned word? Did a many people on the forum use it to abuse Therrien or something?

Old
05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Michel Therrien NOT Finalist for th Jacks Adams

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't consider MT to be a great coach but I think he deserved at least a fair shot at being named for the award.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:43 PM
digmor crusher

Its a disgrace, 15th to 2nd doesn't deserve a nomination??? Maclean, Boudreau, sure, Quenville, no way. I hate when the media spout its so hard for a coach to keep a team at the top. No way. What has he done, well, the same thing as the year before. Its the leadership in the room who keeps a team competitive, not the coach who was there the year before, he has just done what he has always done.

\That is all

digmor crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Its a disgrace, 15th to 2nd doesn't deserve a nomination??? Maclean, Boudreau, sure, Quenville, no way. I hate when the media spout its so hard for a coach to keep a team at the top. No way. What has he done, well, the same thing as the year before. Its the leadership in the room who keeps a team competitive, not the coach who was there the year before, he has just done what he has always done.

\That is all
if the last 10 games of the season were of any indication, I think we would have finished nearly in the bottom in a 82 games season.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote