HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IIHF World Championship 2013

Old
05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
all US games are aired on NBC Sports...I believe all Canada games are aired on TSN as well..so it is getting coverage
Probably doesn't help they are overseas..i'm assuming all the games are in the afternoon. I don't have cable so I don't see Sportscentre or anything like that.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

some of the games start in europe when it's morning in NA... when you normally have to work

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

The Canucks' own Edler in with a dirty knee on knee on Staal. Hopefully he gets a lengthy suspension from IIHF competition

https://vines.s3.amazonaws.com/v/vid...rYmFgqB.1OrFg3

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:41 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

USA with an incredible beat down of Russia 8-3. John Gibson in net.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
USA with an incredible beat down of Russia 8-3. John Gibson in net.
OV was playing with a broken foot though.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The Canucks' own Edler in with a dirty knee on knee on Staal. Hopefully he gets a lengthy suspension from IIHF competition

https://vines.s3.amazonaws.com/v/vid...rYmFgqB.1OrFg3
This is exactly why I hate NHL players playing in these stupid tournaments including the Olympics. I'd be extremely happy if the Hawks players took a pass on Sochi in 2014.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:03 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
OV was playing with a broken foot though.
team Russia

Old
05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Sweden beats Canada in a shootout.

Canada will miss the medals...yet again.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Sweden beats Canada in a shootout.

Canada will miss the medals...yet again.
Meh, wake me up when the Olympics are on.

Old
05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

lol, that's bad and kind of embarrassing for Canada, again

Old
05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
lol, that's bad and kind of embarrassing for Canada, again
Why? It's not like it's our top team they are sending, that and not many fans in Canada really care about this tournament. They also lost to a pretty good team in Sweden.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Why? It's not like it's our top team they are sending, that and not many fans in Canada really care about this tournament. They also lost to a pretty good team in Sweden.
No, it is embarrassing and no, Sweden was not a good team.

Whether you care about this tournament or not (I don't), it's still embarrassing when Canada sends a team filled with NHL stars, including a Rocket Richard winner, and you can't even advance to the Medal rounds - I mean, 4 years in a row? Really? C'mon.

Sweden had 8 NHLers (including 2 goals; both back-ups), and lost their best defenseman to a 5-minute kneeing major and Canada still couldn't win. That's sad, no matter how little you care or how you slice it.

Again, I don't care about this tournament. If Canada wins, good, if they don't, it doesn't bother me. But just because it doesn't bother me, doesn't mean it's not embarrassing in terms of the view from the hockey world.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
No, it is embarrassing and no, Sweden was not a good team.

Whether you care about this tournament or not (I don't), it's still embarrassing when Canada sends a team filled with NHL stars, including a Rocket Richard winner, and you can't even advance to the Medal rounds - I mean, 4 years in a row? Really? C'mon.

Sweden had 8 NHLers (including 2 goals; both back-ups), and lost their best defenseman to a 5-minute kneeing major and Canada still couldn't win. That's sad, no matter how little you care or how you slice it.

Again, I don't care about this tournament. If Canada wins, good, if they don't, it doesn't bother me. But just because it doesn't bother me, doesn't mean it's not embarrassing in terms of the view from the hockey world.
Nobody is going to look at their losses in the WC and think..hmm..I think Canada is on the down swing in international competition.

I don't care who they sent, they aren't our best players. It's not embarrassing, because outside of the players that are playing, not too many people even care or are paying attention to the tournament.

Even if they won gold I don't think many people would care. And how is Sweden not a good team? Just because they don't have NHL stars? they beat NHL stars, so clearly they ARE a good team.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Didn't even know Canada was out until I read this topic right now tbh

theaub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
This is exactly why I hate NHL players playing in these stupid tournaments including the Olympics. I'd be extremely happy if the Hawks players took a pass on Sochi in 2014.
I disagree. No one would give a rat's ass about Olympic hockey if NHL players weren't allowed. It brings out the best competition. It's also the premier event of the Winter Olympics and brings in big TV ratings. If we had to rely on the World Championships then I'd lose all interest in international hockey.

I'm with Hawkaholic; the World Championships don't really prove much. The IIHF 2012 World Rankings have Canada at 5 and the US at 7. They give the same amount of points for winning gold at the World Championships as they do for winning gold at the Olympics. What a joke

Pepe Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:38 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Nobody is going to look at their losses in the WC and think..hmm..I think Canada is on the down swing in international competition.

I don't care who they sent, they aren't our best players. It's not embarrassing, because outside of the players that are playing, not too many people even care or are paying attention to the tournament.

Even if they won gold I don't think many people would care. And how is Sweden not a good team? Just because they don't have NHL stars? they beat NHL stars, so clearly they ARE a good team.
That's not the point. It would have been embarrassing if Chicago lost in the 1st round to Minnesota. Just because they lost, doesn't mean they couldn't win the Cup the next year, but it's still embarrassing.

Canada has access to far more talent than Sweden, or any other country at the tournament.. and for 4 straight years, they can't even get to the medal rounds. That's embarrassing. Does it mean anything for the Olympics? No, but again, that's not relevant to the embarrassment of sending talented team after talented team, and losing to inferior competition.

And C'mon. It's not hard to see the players on both teams and see Canada is far and away the superior team. It's not even remotely close, talent-wise. Obviously, in a 1-game elimination game anything can happen, but Canada shouldn't be losing to Sweden when they're that undermanned.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Even if it wasn't our very best team...it wasn't just garbage. Guys like Stamkos, Giroux, and Staal were there...and many others. They were all NHL players.

I mean we lost to Switzerland for heaven's sake and Slovenia took us to OT. What does that tell you?

I predict we miss the medals in Sochi. It's going to be the Torino fiasco all over again. It's clear we can't compete on olympic sized ice.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I mean we lost to Switzerland for heaven's sake and Slovenia took us to OT. What does that tell you?
It tells me that our best players weren't playing, and the guys we do send either don't care very much, or don't gel well together on Olympic size ice.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
I predict we miss the medals in Sochi. It's going to be the Torino fiasco all over again. It's clear we can't compete on olympic sized ice.
I would say Canada will medal. Which one, dont know. Canada will send its top players. Goaltending and team defense is problematic though.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:48 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

As far as the WC, yes most NA fans dont care but its interesting nonetheless to see the prospects. John Gibson just beat Russia and has yet to play an AHL or NHL game. Gibson posted similar sv% numbers as he did at the WJC. This kid is a monster. LeBlanc tallied 3 points for tournament. Trouba and the younger players looked great.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Hall
Eberle
Duchene
Staal
Staal
Skinner
Ladd
Giroux
Stamkos

that are guys that are on the list of the best at their positions. 5 of them have a good chance to make the olympics roster

that result was embarrassing

Old
05-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Hawkaholic

No one cares = not embarassing

Old
05-18-2013, 04:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Hall
Eberle
Duchene
Staal
Staal
Skinner
Ladd
Giroux
Stamkos

that are guys that are on the list of the best at their positions. 5 of them have a good chance to make the olympics roster

that result was embarrassing
They usually lose at the tournament and haven't made the medals for a while. However, it's not an important tournament and hardly anyone in Canada pays attention. "Pathetic" is a better word than "embarrassing."

Like I said upthread, I worry about what's going to happen in Sochi. Even with our "best players" available, I think the team is still going to have trouble stopping/preventing goals. I also worry about the team's ability on international sized ice. The two olympics where they've been successful - Van and SLC - were in North America. Torino and Nagano did NOT go well.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

having those players not playing like they can and not winning for about 4-5 years now is embarrassing , no matter how you look at it and as longer as it takes them to win the WC the more embarrassing it will get.

and if you think nobody cares, then fine but those players care for sure and I see a former 1st overall picks, a Calder winner, PPG players and Richard Winners on that list.

Every other team would kill for talented players like this. In Socchi, Canada won't win. They won in NA and in europe, they will have more problems despite having the best roster. They want to win the SC, not the olympics.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Hawkaholic

You have to question if the players playing even care some of the times. I mean, a free trip to Europe, with a bunch of cool guys from different teams in the NHL. Probably more party time than being serious time.

That and consider that these guys NEVER play together, whereas Im pretty sure half of Sweden, Russia, etc have played lots together in their careers.

It's not embarrassing, when no one outside of where you are playing cares. It will be embarrassing if they don't medal at a tournament that means something with all of our best players.

And in the end, Canada lost to the best team, so again, not embarrassing.