HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Seconded, although I don't know enough about Zadorov. If Pulock drops below 10 he's the steal of the draftIMO.
If Pulock goes higher than 15th, its a bad pick. Zadorov, Ristolainen and Nurse all look like better prospects at this point.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
If Pulock goes higher than 15th, its a bad pick. Zadorov, Ristolainen and Nurse all look like better prospects at this point.
I haven't seen a lot of all the prospects but what I have seen I take Pulock before any other d man.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He'll be right around that 15-20 area, imo. No way I take him above any of these three unless I'm looking for a bit more of a finished prospect at this point. Potential wise, these three have much more left in them, imo. The draft is all about potential, so I don't see any team picking him before these three.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Did you watch Pulock play this year? I dont get how you come to that conclusion at all. As for Zadorov, you can see him on Sportsnet tonight at 6pm.
I watched him a few times, but he was on the 2nd worst team in the league and he was playing with a cast after he got hurt in January. Before that he had 10 goals and 31 points in 40 games. You put him on a team like the Oil Kings who have more weapons that teams have to defend against, and have him not get injured and he's a top 5 pick in this draft. JMO but look for him to have a huge year next year when he returns healthy.

Edit: I'll have to check out the Knights game tonight to see if Zadorov is worth all the fuss.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
I watched him a few times, but he was on the 2nd worst team in the league and he was playing with a cast after he got hurt in January. Before that he had 10 goals and 31 points in 40 games. You put him on a team like the Oil Kings who have more weapons that teams have to defend against, and have him not get injured and he's a top 5 pick in this draft. JMO but look for him to have a huge year next year when he returns healthy.
Not a chance. I smell an avatar bet. I say Pulock doesnt go top ten. You in?

Old
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
nando2392

Pulock or even Morrissey! i would get Morrissey with a second first

Old
05-17-2013, 02:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
He'll be right around that 15-20 area, imo. No way I take him above any of these three unless I'm looking for a bit more of a finished prospect at this point. Potential wise, these three have much more left in them, imo. The draft is all about potential, so I don't see any team picking him before these three.
I'd like to know how those 3 have a higher potential then Pulock. I see his top potential as this generations Al Macinnis, and worst case scenario he's a less physical Johnny Boychuck.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:53 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Nah, lets see what happens over the summer. If he gets moved to a contender I'll take a bet that he's equal to or over a PPG. I think that's almost a guaranteed win for you, but I think he has the potential.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:57 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I'd like to know how those 3 have a higher potential then Pulock. I see his top potential as this generations Al Macinnis, and worst case scenario he's a less physical Johnny Boychuck.
If he had the upside of Al MacInnis (pretty lofty expectations, no?) and a downside of Boychuk, he would be close to Jones territory.
I haven't seen Pulock play and i understand that you really like him as a player, he does have a good skillset but you even admitted that you hadn't seen Nurse, Risto or Zadarov play so how can you make a proper comparison between those 3 and Pulock?
The general consensus seems to be that those 3 are clustered as the 2nd tier after Jones then there's a fairly steep drop off towards the next group of defensemen.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If he had the upside of Al MacInnis (pretty lofty expectations, no?) and a downside of Boychuk, he would be close to Jones territory.
I haven't seen Pulock play and i understand that you really like him as a player, he does have a good skillset but you even admitted that you hadn't seen Nurse, Risto or Zadarov play so how can you make a proper comparison between those 3 and Pulock?
The general consensus seems to be that those 3 are clustered as the 2nd tier after Jones then there's a fairly steep drop off towards the next group of defensemen.
This draft is a toss up though, some guys have Risto going in the 20's! I've seen Risto at the WJC's and he reminds me a little of Klefbom. I have seen Nurse once but was not impressed enough to see why people want to take him in the top 10. I think if he was 6 feet people would be talking about a late 1st or early second instead of top 10. I think a lot of guys are getting to caught up with his size. And yea I haven't seen Zadorov but he sounds like a heck of a defenceman, sounds a lot like Jared Cowen IMO. But like I said I haven't seen him play.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Raab, I'm warning you don't do it!

Old
05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He had 101MPH slap shot at the skills competition, good first pass, half decent skater, who does that remind you of?

Edit: I know it's Button but I'm not the only one making the comparison.

Last edited by raab: 05-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Nurse and Zadorov are still very raw, so still have a lot of physical and skills development potential left in them. Ristolainen is more developed than both Nurse and Zadorov physically and skill wise, but less so than Pulock. Imo, Pulock is as finished a product as there is in this draft. Some teams will like that, but not likely at the expense of potential home runs like Nurse, Zadorov, and Ristolainen.

Overall, I like Pulock a lot, but just have trouble seeing him developing much more than, say, a Travis Hamonic type, with better offense but not as good defense.

If he goes high, I could see the hometown team, the Jets, taking him at 13.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:12 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
He had 101MPH slap shot at the skills competition, good first pass, half decent skater, who does that remind you of?
Marc-Andre Bergeron?

Old
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Do you have any idea how many junior age players could do the same thing over the years since MacInnis was drafted? I would venture to say hundreds. And how many more MacInnis' have there been?

It takes much more than a hard slapshot, good outlet pass, and decent skating nowadays.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Edit: I know it's Button but I'm not the only one making the comparison.

Just because he has an elite level slap shot doesn't mean that he has Al MacInnis upside. MacInnis was one of the best players of his generation.
I know that Dnicks was half joking about the MAB comparison but there's a better chance that he becomes MAB than MacInnis.
If scouts saw MacInnis upside in him, he would be fighting for #1.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Do you have any idea how many junior age players could do the same thing over the years since MacInnis was drafted? I would venture to say hundreds. And how many more MacInnis' have there been?

It takes much more than a hard slapshot, good outlet pass, and decent skating nowadays.
Obviously, but the potential is definitely there is all I'm saying. Doubtful he reaches it but even if he's a 15-15 guy who plays 22-24 min a night I'd be more then thrilled. Imagine having 2 PP's we could put out that could arguably be as good as most teams #1 PP.

We could see this in a few years:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Schultz-Smid

TBD-Gagner-Yakupov
Pulock-Klefbom

Get a left wing that'll stand in front of the net and let Pulock and Yakupov set up one timers to force teams to cover down low and high.

Last edited by raab: 05-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Corey Potter?

Old
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Corey Potter?
I'd be very surprised if Potters shot is over 100MPH, and Potter sucks at skating.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
nando2392

Quote:
Obviously, but the potential is definitely there is all I'm saying. Doubtful he reaches it but even if he's a 15-15 guy who plays 22-24 min a night I'd be more then thrilled. Imagine having to 2 PP's we could put out that could arguably be as good as most team #1 PP.

We could see this in a few years:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Schultz-Smid

TBD-Gagner-Yakupov
Pulock-Klefbom

Get a left wing that'll stand in front of the net and let Pulock and Yakupov set up one timers to force teams to cover down low and high.
Sounds great, but i would get Pulock with a second first round pick only. Josh Morrissey also intrigues me. He has Mike Green upside

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmemte-zyv0

Last edited by nando2392: 05-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 05:48 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Pulock, Morrissey, Bowey.

If Monahan (who I want) doesn't get critiqued for missing 10 games and being on a horrendous team, why does Pulock?

Old
05-17-2013, 06:39 PM
doubledown99

First a big slap shot does not make Al MacInnis. Al Iafrate had a bigger slap shot than him and he was nowhere near as good. MacInnis had the hockey smarts (plus many other attributes) to go with his slapper....the combination made him a hall of famer.

Pulock or any other dman in this draft should consider themselves lucky if they get mentioned in the same breath

Old
05-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quick (possibly dumb), but how does Pulock's skillset compare to say Karlsson of the Sens? Do they play a similar game at all?

05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Quick (possibly dumb), but how does Pulock's skillset compare to say Karlsson of the Sens? Do they play a similar game at all?
No..

Old
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
nando2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Josh Morrissey has a similar style of play. I think the oilers should take him if he falls to se cond round or get another 1st round pick

Closed Thread