HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You have to be kidding. Seguin may not be a perfect player, but he'd be an incredible pick up. If the Bruins lost their minds and were ok with Gagner + the 7th +? then the Oilers would have to do that.
Not kidding. Have you been watching him this year? He is no longer playing with Begeron and Marchand. He has been demoted. Another non-physical perimeter player. We dont need another one of those. Not sure he is an upgrade on Gagner atm tbh.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Gagner+7th+ for a soft winger?

Big pass.
I know he has struggled at C for the Bs but he has only played like 4 games there over the last 3 years. Yeah maybe it's because Claude thinks he's ineffective there... Fair enough. I'd still trade for him and try him at C. In a new system, Seguin might thrive even more.

I have also watched the Bs throughout the playoffs.....Seguin has gone to the front of the net. He is fighting there. The puck never goes there when Seguin is there but I think that is a positive in Seguins development. Avhebgetsvoldervhe is going to get stronger and win more of those board battles he presently loses.

In the end his skill is still evident and he still has loads of potential. I would love him here

Old
05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not kidding. Have you been watching him this year? He is no longer playing with Begeron and Marchand. He has been demoted. Another non-physical perimeter player. We dont need another one of those. Not sure he is an upgrade on Gagner atm tbh.
Come on IATL.... He got demoted for the last 2 games but found himself back in game 7 in OT (yes I know it was because of injury) and he helped out on the game winning goal.

Yesterday he had very good moments and some bad moments but even with your hate for him you have to acknowledge his talent and that he is still dangerous (even with his offensive struggles lately).

Old
05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
DousedInOil

Hall-Seguin-Yakupov
Horton-RNH-Eberle

Get er done MacT.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
The Big Unit

I think that's a non-starter for the Bruins. They won't trade Seguin and Chiarelli would likely hang up the phone unless it's one of the big 5 coming back; and even then he only listens before probably saying no. Not worth the price Boston would want imo.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Come on IATL.... He got demoted for the last 2 games but found himself back in game 7 in OT (yes I know it was because of injury) and he helped out on the game winning goal.

Yesterday he had very good moments and some bad moments but even with your hate for him you have to acknowledge his talent and that he is still dangerous (even with his offensive struggles lately).
Jagr is playing with Marchand and Bergeron. Last night included.

He lost his spot to an old man, probably because he was scoreless in the first six playoff games.

He is soft as a kitten's tummy. We dont need any more of that on this team.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

He lost his spot to an old man, probably because he was scoreless in the first six playoff games.

Boston would never say yes to that package anyway, so you have nothing to worry about.

You don't trade a talent like that because of six playoff games. RNH/Seguin would be the most talented 1-2 down the middle in a few years outside of Crosby/Malkin.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
doubledown99

Quote:

Yes he was demoted for yesterday's game and game 7 against the Leafs.

The whole trio (Bergeron, Seguin, Marchand) were struggling to score. Yes only Seguin was demoted but it also has to do with the talent on the roster. The Bs are stronger on RW so it was easier to do a shakeup there.

Marchand scored his first goal yesterday so not like he wasn't struggling either. In any case, Seguin is still getting shots and has been creating chances. He just hasn't converted. He's slumping but that doesn't mean he isn't talented and wouldn't be a good fit on the Oilers.

But everybody has a right to their opinion

Old
05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
The Big Unit

I think the point is that we need a big power forward on the 2nd line. Seguin isn't that guy.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I think the point is that we need a big power forward on the 2nd line. Seguin isn't that guy.
If that's what you want, honestly you're going to have to draft Nichushkin and be patient.

A top six power forward is extremely hard to acquire otherwise.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If that's what you want, honestly you're going to have to draft Nichushkin and be patient.

A top six power forward is extremely hard to acquire otherwise.
Done! I've waited 7 years already for a playoff spot. Might as well be a contender when we finally get there.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
rockinghockey

I am just hoping that we do upgrade at the fwd position. I really do think that Gagner and hemsky both have to be moved to get some size in the top 6. I know that we need a 2C if we move Gagner, that is managements job to do.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Boston would never say yes to that package anyway, so you have nothing to worry about.

You don't trade a talent like that because of six playoff games. RNH/Seguin would be the most talented 1-2 down the middle in a few years outside of Crosby/Malkin.
Except Seguin is a soft RWer who isn't better than our top 2 RWers... Maybe he can play center, maybe not. It's no more likely than Hall playing center though

05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Yes he was demoted for yesterday's game and game 7 against the Leafs.

The whole trio (Bergeron, Seguin, Marchand) were struggling to score. Yes only Seguin was demoted but it also has to do with the talent on the roster. The Bs are stronger on RW so it was easier to do a shakeup there.

Marchand scored his first goal yesterday so not like he wasn't struggling either. In any case, Seguin is still getting shots and has been creating chances. He just hasn't converted. He's slumping but that doesn't mean he isn't talented and wouldn't be a good fit on the Oilers.

But everybody has a right to their opinion
Marchand and Bergeron both have 5pts. Sequin has 1 and is a -2.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Myers has regressed every season since his rookie year.

His issue is mental. He beats himself over mistakes and then his play suffers even more. There is no way I would give up Eberle for him. It is even foolish to consider it. Myers right now he is a basket case. Maybe you can hire him mindset coaches and psychologists and get him right but there is no guarantee.

This could be just another example (in a long line of them) of taking more time with defensive prospects. When a dmen loses his confidence especially over a long period it is really difficult to get them back to their old self, never mind improved.

I don't blame HFOil lusting after him.....you guys are figuring he will get back to his old self (most likely even better) but that his wishful thinking at best.

In real estate they say its better to let speculators guess because that is the easiest way to go broke. The best way to be successful is to give up the first 20% and only come in when all signs point to success (and give up the last 20% because you don't want to get stuck).

I think the same could be said in Myers case. Yes we might get him cheap now but their is no guarantee of a positive return (and huge risk with his cap hit). I rather wait and see if he can regain his form and pay a little more later when you are more assured of what you are getting.
Very true everything is mental at this point but you bring him here surrounded by players his own age and similar contracts and same expectations he can thrive. Yes in real estate you can go broke but you also dont have a buy-clause like in the NHL lol, give him 2-3 years. And he's from calgary so that might help being close to family.

Last edited by Uindicator: 05-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Marchand and Bergeron both have 5pts. Sequin has 1 and is a -2.
Are you purposely saying Sequin instead of Seguin?

If so, that's brilliant. Referencing that inside joke in an argument against him.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
17Kurri

I'd love to acquire Seguin, but we are in no position to be dangling our 7th overall for anything less than a massive overpay. Seguin, as much as I generally like him, is not a massive overpay.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I'd love to acquire Seguin, but we are in no position to be dangling our 7th overall for anything less than a massive overpay. Seguin, as much as I generally like him, is not a massive overpay.
You think the 2010 2nd overall who's a pretty damn good player in his own right isn't a massive overpay for the 2013 7th overall? Are you expecting Seth Jones to fall into our lap?

Old
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
frag2

With the arena issue all settled, I wonder if Katz will open his wallet a tad more now that he knows there's an inevitable flow of cash when the new Arena is up. Maybe Nicushkin will be drafted and contract bought out from the K?

Old
05-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You think the 2010 2nd overall who's a pretty damn good player in his own right isn't a massive overpay for the 2013 7th overall? Are you expecting Seth Jones to fall into our lap?
Do you think Sam Gagner would get you Calgary's sixth overall pick this year? Maybe Barker would get Vancouver third overall?

Old
doubledown99

Very differing opinions on Seguin.

Personally I'd give up a Kessel return. Our 1st this year and next year for Seguin.

Maybe the 7th overall turns out great but we are getting a more developed player in Seguin.....not expecting people to agree but that is what I would do.

It's Boston is kind of in the same position with Seguin as they were years back with Kessel

Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I'm thinking he meant 7th + Gagner. Or at least I hope so. Seguin doesn't make our team better, but he is an "overpay" for just 7th

Old
05-17-2013, 02:55 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Do you think Sam Gagner would get you Calgary's sixth overall pick this year? Maybe Barker would get Vancouver third overall?
great work you remember when some players were drafted too. Seguin is better than either of the players you've mentioned by a mile (Barker? Really? why not mention Daigle while you're at it) and also a few years younger. Seguin is also highly regarded by the Bruins and most other NHL teams. For some reason this fact has escaped you. Don't compare Seguin to Gagner, who has never lived up to expectations and is hard pressed to get extended by the Oilers just because you don't like Seguin's production this year.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm thinking he meant 7th + Gagner. Or at least I hope so. Seguin doesn't make our team better, but he is an "overpay" for just 7th
No need for the quotation marks around overpay. 7th overall straight across for Seguin IS an overpay by Boston. 7th overall + Gagner would result in Boston hanging up the phone. They'd want us to overpay for Seguin and that won't cut it for Peter Chiarelli.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Forget Gagner, he doesn't do anything for the trade from Boston's perspective.

I don't know what you guys are basing Seguin's "greatness" on, but hopefully it isn't points. Because if it is points, the 7th overall from Seguin's draft year, Jeff Skinner, actually has more points than Seguin. Maybe we should do 7th overall for Skinner (who, btw, I also like quite a bit)?

Closed Thread