HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Matt Kassian would challenge Big Mac, then hang on for dear life.
We all know none of our tough guys can measure up to anything the mighty Pens have to offer.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The conversation around here has been too cordial. Neil or Cooke will do something tonight to set the tone just about right.
I feel like I'm preparing to attend a cricket match or something. I had to dig out my white boaters.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
If the Sens want Neil and Kassian to run around and do stupid stuff
Why would the Sens want that?

Old
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
Why would the Sens want that?
Why call the police on Letang? Why call an investigation on Cooke? Why the Spartan thing years ago?

I don't know why your team does some of the things it does. Sens team owner...

Old
05-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
We all know none of our tough guys can measure up to anything the mighty Pens have to offer.
Like BGL a while back, a tough guy gets to the point in his career where no one wants to fight him anymore because they don't want a beat down, unless it's some young kid trying to make a name for themselves.

But do you really think Kassian or Neil would want to throw down with MacIntyre? I mean seriously, if he was on any other team, I would be saying the same thing, Mac is a beast. A beast I never want to see in the NHL because he sucks at the game, but great at fighting.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
mikelegacy
formerly mikelegacy

Quote:
I like your sarcasm, and if it were anyone else, I would just scoff at his comment, but Big Mac is probably the most feared fighter in all the league.

I don't want him anywhere near the lineup for the Pens though. Playoffs are about guys like Brenden Morrow and Iginla. Grit guys with skill, not grit guys that add nothing to your team but fighting. Big Mac barely even lays big hits that I've seen.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Like BGL a while back, a tough guy gets to the point in his career where no one wants to fight him anymore because they don't want a beat down, unless it's some young kid trying to make a name for themselves.

But do you really think Kassian or Neil would want to throw down with MacIntyre? I mean seriously, if he was on any other team, I would be saying the same thing, Mac is a beast. A beast I never want to see in the NHL because he sucks at the game, but great at fighting.
Exactly. BIG MAC > prime Mike Tyson any day. His fists are like an SKS. Also I heard Melnyk does all these crazy things because he is worried Big MAC will beat him up!

Old
05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:

What would Kassien or Neil do if Mechagodzilla and Rodan descended from the rafters and attacked Karlsson? This is just as likely as Mac drssssing for the Pens.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:

I don't see Neil or Kassian running around looking for ANYONE to fight. Not in this game.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
I don't see Neil or Kassian running around looking for ANYONE to fight. Not in this game.
I expect McLean to have his team sit back, seal off the boards tonight and give the Penguins fits like the Isles did.

This could be easily overcome with a couple adjustments, but the Penguins coaching staff won't deviate and will make them take the hard road.

Should be interesting.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

I keep seeing things that the Senators supposedly have to do. Some with more sense than others. Hit and bloody the Pens. Keep the Pens from getting the man advantage. Improve their PP. But no one mentions one thing that may be more decisive. Solve Vokoun.

Vokoun may be the most underrated factor in the playoffs. He now has three games under his belt, almost half the games the Pens have played. Two of those three games were against one of the most offensively gifted teams in the league, the Islanders, where he faced an amazing amount of rubber.

And right now he is leading the playoffs with a .962 SV% ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary ), and giving up 1.28 goals a game ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary ) good enough for third in the NHL playoffs.

It is not as if this is new for him, he has been one of the better goalies in the league since the lockout. He merely has been hidden on bad teams. But he always put up eye popping numbers.

If you are scoring less than 4 goals per hundred shots faced, you are not going to win many games.

I am not saying that the Senators can not solve him. They can. I am saying far too little attention has been paid to that facet of the game, mostly because I think Vokoun is overlooked.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not saying that the Senators can not solve him. They can. I am saying far too little attention has been paid to that facet of the game, mostly because I think Vokoun is overlooked.
Beating a goalie no matter who is requires the same general formula. His tendencies no doubt have been studied and the formula has been tweaked. Solving Vokoun isn't any more difficult than solving any other goalie.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Beating a goalie no matter who is requires the same general formula. His tendencies no doubt have been studied and the formula has been tweaked. Solving Vokoun isn't any more difficult than solving any other goalie.
I keep reading about what the Sens need to do ... and then pages of reasons why it won't work. No wonder this series is so damn dull.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Kassian would try and fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Matt Kassian would challenge Big Mac, then hang on for dear life.
Sure.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
wingnutks

Both Isles games, and the Sens game, Vokoun was pretty bad with his rebounds, especially the ones around his waist and chest.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We're doomed.

vCash: 368
Quote:
I keep reading about what the Sens need to do ... and then pages of reasons why it won't work. No wonder this series is so damn dull.
When Andre Benoit (if he plays) scores a hatty then does a one leg kneeling fist-pump slide toward the Penguins bench tonight, dullness will be a thing of the past.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
arian487

I must say, this series and topic has been very civil from both sides. Some solid discussion and analysis from both sides. The habs series topics was a complete cluster ****. Excuses after every loss, fans blaming everything besides their team. If we lose to the Pens, then so be it. At least we didn't lose to the habs and have to listen to their crap for another series.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
When Andre Benoit (if he plays) scores a hatty then does a one leg kneeling fist-pump slide toward the Penguins bench tonight, dullness will be a thing of the past.
Good, glad I have something to look forward to.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Pghkev
#47 FATTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
Yeah seriously. Don't get why certain Pens fans want to dress no skill enforcers in anything other than a Flyers series.
I will bet anything that the Sens will cheap shot someone tonight. They would be less inclined to do so with Mac dressed.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Why call the police on Letang? Why call an investigation on Cooke? Why the Spartan thing years ago?

The hell are you on about?

What does Melnyk have to do with Neil and Kassian taking runs at guys?

And why would they take runs at guys?

My head hurts.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghkev View Post
I will bet anything that the Sens will cheap shot someone tonight. They would be less inclined to do so with Mac dressed.
Yes, of course. That'll be the key to our game. We want to win, so let's take cheap shots that will increase our chances to put Pittsburgh on the power play. A flawless plan.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
No, it really wasn't close. Watch the end of game 6 and tell me the Penguins were in trouble at any point. The only "trouble" was self inflicted (Fleury and a lack of urgency...if the Penguins didn't know they had it in hand they would have thrown the body more, won more puck battles and generally played actual Penguins hockey)
Dude...the pens were in a heap of trouble in that series. You're seriously saying the pens didn't try that hard because they knew they were going to win? They didn't throw the body or win more puck battles because they were outskated handily. Isles were exploiting the pens weaknesses. Don't be a blind homer.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:

I don't think any of that affects the actual team/coaches....

Old
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghkev View Post
I disagree. Having Mac is like the having the bomb during the Viet Nam war. Everyone knew it wasn't going to be used, so it made no difference. When he suited up this year, it was like tossing a big pylon out there. Why would anyone fight a pylon?

Old
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:

What do any of those things have to do with the team on the ice and how they play?

Closed Thread