HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  #676
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I actually thought Richards would be solid for most of the 8 years we gave him because he always relied more on his smarts and ability to see the ice well, and not his physical abilities. But man, he has really declined.
Marc Recchi was able to play into his late 40s because of this and yet he didnt score as much as he used to, he still always contribute and was one of the big reason Bruins went to the Finals that year.. 14 pts in 25 games for the 43 year old at the time...... there is no way Richards got stupid overnight.. something else must be going on in his personal life..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  #677
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gomez resulting in a good player down the road doesnt make the stupid signing any less egregious.
Yes it does. Without the stupid signing McDonagh's traded somewhere else or patrolling the blue line for the Canadiens. I mean WTF!

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
  #678
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Can anybody confirm how the amnesty buyout works? By that I mean, is there a timeline that it has to happen by? Does it have to happen next year or can it be "banked' and used, lets say 3 years down the line.

The reason I ask, do you use the buyout next year on BR......or do you give him one more season and see what happens to his game? If we use it next year on BR, what elite 1st line centers ( if not elite, at least a quality 1st line center ) is there to get?

Clowe is more than likely not returning, so what top line winger do we replcae him with? If BR is bought out and Clowe is gone.......there are two large holes to fill, with not much out there come July 1.... correct?
I'm not sure exactly when this period ends, but it does have to be used sometime within the next season.

I was all for giving Richards one more year to prove himself, but his game has degraded so poorly that Torts barely gives him ice time anymore.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
  #679
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Unless this is strictly post lockout, you're missing Bobby Holik at $9 mil per for 5 years. Paying a 50 point guy Forsberg type money was pretty insane.
Considering they paid him just 2.5-5 million more than the next highest bidder, it wasn't that bad considering two other teams were at or north of 40 over 5 years.

The problem is what the Rangers were expecting from a career 46 point a year guy up to that signing.

Just because he signs a super star contract doesn't mean he is a superstar player, the contract doesn't make the player.

Bobby Holik didn't completely crap out. He started off slow his first year coming in out of shape, but he was on pace for his career averages in year one and in year two, while in better condition, posted numbers that were similar to his 6 years average prior to coming to NY.

Holik shares blame, but the Rangers were the bigger idiots on this signing.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  #680
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Can anybody confirm how the amnesty buyout works? By that I mean, is there a timeline that it has to happen by? Does it have to happen next year or can it be "banked' and used, lets say 3 years down the line.

The reason I ask, do you use the buyout next year on BR......or do you give him one more season and see what happens to his game? If we use it next year on BR, what elite 1st line centers ( if not elite, at least a quality 1st line center ) is there to get?

Clowe is more than likely not returning, so what top line winger do we replcae him with? If BR is bought out and Clowe is gone.......there are two large holes to fill, with not much out there come July 1.... correct?
has to be used by the summer of 2014

pld459666 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:51 PM
  #681
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
I'm another for a Newbury or a Haley experiment. They're more 4th line types anyway. They might do something stupid but they'll give you hard, gritty minutes which is pretty much the type of play that Thornton, Campbell and Paille give the Bruins.

BTW Drury declined to the point (and he was our captain) where he was being sat out, benched or playing 4th line. He was a shell of the player we signed from Buffalo by the time he was bought out. A player who is not a go to guy on the ice is not a leader. When your teammates stop looking at a player for a big goal or a big play--when they start looking at others the role that player has is then marginalized.

Richards should be bought out this summer. If not--then take away his 'A' and buy him out next summer.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
  #682
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Marc Recchi was able to play into his late 40s because of this and yet he didnt score as much as he used to, he still always contribute and was one of the big reason Bruins went to the Finals that year.. 14 pts in 25 games for the 43 year old at the time...... there is no way Richards got stupid overnight.. something else must be going on in his personal life..
difference is that Recchi retained his speed better than Richards has.

Recchi also retained his physicality and defensive awareness.

Brad Richards is an offensive player that more often than not doesn't decline well. When you are not a fast, physical or defensively responsible player and your offensive skills start to diminish, there's nothing there to compensate for your short-comings.

Recchi's offensive skills disapated with age, but he was able to redefine his game because he was still pretty damn good player in other facets of the game and those limited gritty veteran players tend to show up in the PO's.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #683
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
difference is that Recchi retained his speed better than Richards has.

Recchi also retained his physicality and defensive awareness.

Brad Richards is an offensive player that more often than not doesn't decline well. When you are not a fast, physical or defensively responsible player and your offensive skills start to diminish, there's nothing there to compensate for your short-comings.

Recchi's offensive skills disapated with age, but he was able to redefine his game because he was still pretty damn good player in other facets of the game and those limited gritty veteran players tend to show up in the PO's.
Agreed, but what troubles me is his brain. I actually have no idea how that degraded so quickly. I can understand his skills diminishing but his IQ fell off the map.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  #684
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Agreed, but what troubles me is his brain. I actually have no idea how that degraded so quickly. I can understand his skills diminishing but his IQ fell off the map.
He's a player that still believes in his ability to make those plays he is no longer making.

The hardest part for any athlete is to recognize your own diminishing limitations and in that regards I kind of feel bad for the guy.

Some of the passes off his stick that are not getting completed now, he was making just 3 seasons ago. He probably doesn't want to believe that his skills are fading and he's fighting it.

sad and frustrating at the same time because we need him to be better and more accepting of his limitations in order for us to move to the next round.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
  #685
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
As far as Recchi goes, I remember Recchi as being a world class skater when he was younger.

Players that have that efficient compact strides that make skating look easy are the ones that last longer. Guys with inefficient strides or mediocre speed almost never last/age well in today's game..........

That's why McDonagh or Moore as an example, will be around for as long as they like, while Brad is already on the proverbial scrap heep.


With my above generalization, I am negating catastrophic or chronic injuries because obviously they can interfere with longevity as well.

Miamipuck is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
  #686
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
As far as Recchi goes, I remember Recchi as being a world class skater when he was younger.

Guys that are world class skaters the ones that have that efficient compact strides that make skating look easy are the ones that last longer. Guys with inefficient strides or mediocre speed almost never last/age well in today's game..........

That's why McDonagh or Moore as an example, will be around for as long as they like, while Brad is already on the proverbial scrap heep.


With my above generalization, I am negating catastrophic or chronic injuries because obviously they can interfere with longevity as well.
Scott Gomez

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  #687
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's a player that still believes in his ability to make those plays he is no longer making.

The hardest part for any athlete is to recognize your own diminishing limitations and in that regards I kind of feel bad for the guy.

Some of the passes off his stick that are not getting completed now, he was making just 3 seasons ago. He probably doesn't want to believe that his skills are fading and he's fighting it.

sad and frustrating at the same time because we need him to be better and more accepting of his limitations in order for us to move to the next round.
This was like the NYR version of Old Yeller.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
  #688
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Scott Gomez
Hahahaha he stinks.

Miamipuck is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  #689
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,331
vCash: 500
I don't think I can stand to watch him for another season honestly. So infuriating knowing how much money he is making to literally be the worst forward in the lineup.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
  #690
rangers1314
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
Id rather see Newbury as the 4c right now
+1. Either him or Haley. At least they will forecheck and get in on the Bruins D

rangers1314 is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
  #691
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 500
You buy him out this off season if there is a move to make, and you need that space.

Otherwise, you give him another season, and wait on it.

There's no point to buying him out before the buyout deadline otherwise.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
  #692
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You buy him out this off season if there is a move to make, and you need that space.

Otherwise, you give him another season, and wait on it.

There's no point to buying him out before the buyout deadline otherwise.
What for you waiting for?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  #693
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You buy him out this off season if there is a move to make, and you need that space.

Otherwise, you give him another season, and wait on it.

There's no point to buying him out before the buyout deadline otherwise.
I know I'll get crap for this, but I'll say it anyway:

Rangers may be better off buying out Richards and seeing if they can make a package to try to get Shea Weber.


Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 05-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
  #694
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
You buy him out this off season if there is a move to make, and you need that space.

Otherwise, you give him another season, and wait on it.

There's no point to buying him out before the buyout deadline otherwise.
You buy him out now because his play is not good enough. Throw in the fact that the risk of injury completely risks the ability to buy him out.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:34 PM
  #695
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
how about instead of buying him out how about a trade... if Gomez can get traded im sure Richards has some value..


how about Richards to Bolts for Eric Brewer??

Rangers can use some size on defense and another shot from the point.....

Richards goes back to the team where he has good memories...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  #696
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,233
vCash: 50
If Richards retires after a trade we take back his cap hit for the duration.

He WILL be bought out. The only question is if it will be after this season or next.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
  #697
IHeartMattCooke
Registered User
 
IHeartMattCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how about instead of buying him out how about a trade... if Gomez can get traded im sure Richards has some value..


how about Richards to Bolts for Eric Brewer??

Rangers can use some size on defense and another shot from the point.....

Richards goes back to the team where he has good memories...
Richards is untradeable. If we trade him and then he retires for any reason (injury, ineffectiveness etc.), the Rangers are on the hook for his cap hit for the duration of his contract. Not an option.

IHeartMattCooke is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  #698
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What for you waiting for?
There's next to no point in buying out Brad Richards right now, with a chance he'll have something of a rebound season next year. All indications are that his ailments are 100% mental, and that's the type of thing likely not to carry over from season to season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I know I'll get crap for this, but I'll say it anyway:

Rangers may be better off buying out Richards and seeing if they can make a package to try to get Shea Weber.
I don't exactly see the point. With a healthy Staal (which, sadly, seems to exist for 1/4 of a year these days, but that shouldn't continue), we have the best defense in the league.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
You buy him out now because his play is not good enough. Throw in the fact that the risk of injury completely risks the ability to buy him out.
This is the only consideration. Richards doesn't play too much of a physical game, which puts that risk lower, but it's the only thing i'd take into consideration.

When is the buyout deadline in the offseason?

Callagraves is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  #699
DudMan28
Registered User
 
DudMan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
I think they have to buy him out this summer. You can say it was no training camp or whatever, but by now he should be in shape and playing better. I think this team is fine moving forward with Brass and Step as the 1C/2C. Think of the guys we could bring in our bottom 6 with Richards money off the table. It needs to be done this summer.

DudMan28 is offline  
Old
05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
  #700
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
There's next to no point in buying out Brad Richards right now, with a chance he'll have something of a rebound season next year. All indications are that his ailments are 100% mental, and that's the type of thing likely not to carry over from season to season.
I disagree. If someone is suffering from something mental it can take a long time to get over; sometimes never.

Richards might bounce back. He might also continue to be a detriment to the team and get worse.

Riverdale is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.