HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Old
05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
TheKule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi0308 View Post
Top 4 dman don't grow on trees. Does anyone know any possible UFA or RFA we might take a chance at for D?
Rob Scuderi, Andrew Ference, Robyn Regehr.

TheKule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Superstar

Re-sign Bozak for $4 mil per, buy-out Liles, let MacArthur walk, move Grabo to the wing and have Colborne develop as the 3rd line centre.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
stanleyorbust

Nonis only needs to make some adjustments. The core is in place.

Kadri is ready to take a step up.. maybe even solve our #1 center issue.

Bozak can stay for a reasonable rate...

Find a good back up goalie.. Scrivens isn't horrible.. but could upgrade.

Find some more heart and soul, rough guys with skill. Boston dominated us physically in the last few minutes of game 7. Having a few more players such as Clarkson in the line up wouldnt hurt. We have some in the system, but maybe we can get a fillers for a decent price.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

Andrew Ferrence... that would be interesting, indeed.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Stephen

Bickell
Clarkson
Torres
Horton
Ference

A sprinkling of these guys with finals appearances would be nice. Is Valteri Filppula a UFA? I'd be happy to add that skillet and pedigree as an antidote to a David Krejci... And it weakens the Wings.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:19 PM
blueNwhite89

If no partner for Phaneuf can be found, I'd feel alright rolling out with something like this for next season:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Rielly - Fraser

Ideally we would trade Liles and either sign a veteran 7th D or retain O'Byrne for that purpose.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Mitch44Leafs

Ideal offseason:
Sign Clarkson
Sign Bozak
Sign Bickell
Sign/Trade for #2 Defencemen (Not sure who)

Buyout Grabovski or trade him for whatever you can get
Buyout Liles

Lines:
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Bickell - Colborne - Kulemin
Komorav - Mclement - Orr

Phaneuf - #2 D
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnarsson - Fraser
Extras/Prospects: Rielly, Blacker, Kostka, Holzer

Bickell adds some skill and size to our third line. Colborne deserves a shot in the NHL and will go with the increase in size. The addition of Clarkson is key. He is what we need. Someone who lives in front of the net and has good puck possession stats. Leafs need to hold onto the puck more and have traffic.

The #2 Defencemen will be key. My target would be Edler (Would be hard and key assets would be going the other way). Better to go big then a short term solution. Imagine Phaneuf - Edler and Rielly - Gardiner and Franson - Gunnarsson in the future

Mitch44Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the compliance buyouts...

Why would you buy-out Grabovski or Liles??

There is still this thing called trading. And furthermore, who are you replacing them with? If you're buying out players to just make holes in the roster, then you're about as competent at armchair GM'ing as Lindsay Lohan is at managing her public image...

Grabovski is a core part of this team. He's got speed, endurance and is all heart. He's had seasons where he's been a serious offensive threat, and others where he's been a little more modest.

If we're all going to be fixated on his post-season contributions, can we please compare his abilities/production to Tyler Seguin? Let's forget about draft position and what the "clearly" means for ceiling/development. Yeesh...

Liles can at least fetch a 2nd rounder. He's still the same player from Colorado and he's on a better contract. There are teams that will want his services. He just doesn't fit with Toronto anymore, because of guys that do the same thing. Not every team in the NHL has a glut of PMD.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Mitch44Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post

There is still this thing called trading. And furthermore, who are you replacing them with? If you're buying out players to just make holes in the roster, then you're about as competent at armchair GM'ing as Lindsay Lohan is at managing her public image...

Grabovski is a core part of this team. He's got speed, endurance and is all heart. He's had seasons where he's been a serious offensive threat, and others where he's been a little more modest.

If we're all going to be fixated on his post-season contributions, can we please compare his abilities/production to Tyler Seguin? Let's forget about draft position and what the "clearly" means for ceiling/development. Yeesh...

Liles can at least fetch a 2nd rounder. He's still the same player from Colorado and he's on a better contract. There are teams that will want his services. He just doesn't fit with Toronto anymore, because of guys that do the same thing. Not every team in the NHL has a glut of PMD.
The reason people, including me are talking about buying them out is that cap management is key next year. They have huge cap hits for their production. They are expendable. Obviously if you can trade them for picks, prospects, etc you do it.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Bickell
Clarkson
Torres
Horton
Ference

A sprinkling of these guys with finals appearances would be nice. Is Valteri Filppula a UFA? I'd be happy to add that skillet and pedigree as an antidote to a David Krejci... And it weakens the Wings.
There are quite a few power forward guys around. Clarkson, Clowe, and Horton are the big ones, but Bickell and Torres are good options too, and Penner might thrive under Carlyle. Depending on contract demands, Jarome Iginla and Brendan Morrow would be excellent leaders to add. Kyle Chipchura can't play top-6, but would be an amazing 4th liner.

Filppula is a UFA, and he would be an excellent 2nd or 3rd liner. If Grabovski remains as our 3rd liner center, Filppula would be a good fit there.

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44Leafs View Post
The reason people, including me are talking about buying them out is that cap management is key next year. They have huge cap hits for their production. They are expendable. Obviously if you can trade them for picks, prospects, etc you do it.
You don't have to use both buy-outs this summer.

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:17 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Here's how I'd do things...

- Trade Grabovski and Liles if possible (if not buyout)
- Buyout Komisarek
- Let O'Byrne, Orr and Hamilton walk
- Let MacArthur walk unless cheap (2.5 or less)

Re-sign Bozak 4 year x 3.75 per
Re-sign Fraser 2 year x 1.2 per
Re-sign Kadri 1 year x 3.5
Re-sign Komarov 2 year x 1.1 per
Re-sign McLaren 2 year x .850 k per
Re-sign Colborne 1year x 1.2
Re-sign Franson 3 year x 3.25
Re-sign Gunnarsson 4 year x 3.0
Re-sign Kostka 1 year x .950 k

Sign David Clarkson 5 year x 4.5 mil
Trade Grabovski +1st 2014 +2nd 2013/ Frattin / Percy + to Phoenix for Yandle

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Here's how I'd do things...

- Trade Grabovski and Liles if possible (if not buyout)
- Buyout Komisarek
- Let O'Byrne, Orr and Hamilton walk
- Let MacArthur walk unless cheap (2.5 or less)

Re-sign Bozak 4 year x 3.75 per
Re-sign Fraser 2 year x 1.2 per
Re-sign Kadri 1 year x 3.5
Re-sign Komarov 2 year x 1.1 per
Re-sign McLaren 2 year x .850 k per
Re-sign Colborne 1year x 1.2
Re-sign Franson 3 year x 3.25
Re-sign Gunnarsson 4 year x 3.0
Re-sign Kostka 1 year x .950 k

Sign David Clarkson 5 year x 4.5 mil
Trade Grabovski +1st 2014 +2nd 2013/ Frattin / Percy + to Phoenix for Yandle
How does Colborne get paid more than McLaren and as much as Fraser per? We don't need to trade that much for Yandle, we have Gardiner and also Rielly waiting to come up.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Brody
High.

vCash: 551
Three things that could make this a dream offseason:
1. Filpulla - 1B/2A center
2. Streit - Top 4 dman, could play with Phaneuf
3. Clarkson - Adds some grit in our top nine, replacing MacArthur

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Most of this article is nothing more than a same old same old , with more questions than possibilities or answers. Its one of those "fear pieces" that reporters love to write because it makes the Leafs seem like they have to pull a rabbit out of their hats while every other team simply gets to put pen to paper in order to solve their problems.

This new line of questioning regarding "Kessel or Phaneuf" is just dumb as well. If the Leafs erase either player, thats essentially saying their two biggest contributors were not that paramount to their success this year and next year.

Nonis' job is no different than 29 other GMs. Toronto media would love to make it seem otherwise.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:48 PM
MakeTheIronSing

I would also love nothing more than to see Grabovski on opening night. I still think he's awesome and now has a lot to prove. I think buying him out is way way way to drastic of a decision.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:49 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post

I kind of agree on Liles, although they did once give Kubina away for a bag of pucks, so trade value is tricky. Still I don't see him as a buyout. Grabovski had three decent years before this season so it seems pretty unlikely his talent disappeared in his sleep. Nonetheless, the contract was fat for a 50-55 pt guy and he was far from that this year. I see any return in a trade being very iffy, and likely tied to another underachiever in return. I really doubt they drop a guy after a single bad season, and eat the resulting huge buyout cost, so i am guessing he will stay around. There is no Getzlaf to tempt them to free up cap by whatever means necessary.

nuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:55 PM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
I would also love nothing more than to see Grabovski on opening night. I still think he's awesome and now has a lot to prove. I think buying him out is way way way to drastic of a decision.
Not going to say its financially optimal to pay a checking center 2c money, and for that, he may get traded. But to buy out a good, serviceable player like him just so someone else can sign him for cheaper is hilariously dumb.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:12 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

What's going to happen with Komisarek? Since Toronto can only buyout two players should Nonis use up one of them on him or save them for other players like Grabovski and Liles, if that's what he thinks is best. The only plus I can see for not buying out Komisarek is that after next season he becomes a UFA and maybe Nonis can talk another team into trading for him.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:00 PM
PemIceKing

I like this model...what about Komisarek?
McLaren is worth resigning
vet goalie

PemIceKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Andrew Ferrence... that would be interesting, indeed.
Can't do it.....he'd elbow Grabo in the showers after the game.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Ideal offseason:
Sign Clarkson
Sign Bozak
Sign Bickell
Sign/Trade for #2 Defencemen (Not sure who)

Buyout Grabovski or trade him for whatever you can get
Buyout Liles

Lines:
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Bickell - Colborne - Kulemin
Komorav - Mclement - Orr

Phaneuf - #2 D
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnarsson - Fraser
Extras/Prospects: Rielly, Blacker, Kostka, Holzer

Bickell adds some skill and size to our third line. Colborne deserves a shot in the NHL and will go with the increase in size. The addition of Clarkson is key. He is what we need. Someone who lives in front of the net and has good puck possession stats. Leafs need to hold onto the puck more and have traffic.

The #2 Defencemen will be key. My target would be Edler (Would be hard and key assets would be going the other way). Better to go big then a short term solution. Imagine Phaneuf - Edler and Rielly - Gardiner and Franson - Gunnarsson in the future
Can we not end this experiment already? I get that #1 centers are hard to get...but geez. The thought of signing Bozak to be ours sucks.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:31 AM
hockeyfanz

Dont know what the answers are but hoping the Dave Nonis is smarter than most of the people in this thread and smarter than the previous buffoon running the show.

the simplicity of what Nonis needs to do is comical..just add a #1C and find a partner for Phaneuf...

What? Oh yeah...lets make signing Tyler Bozak a top priority too...like he is something special.

Nonis does have his work cut out for him. Leafs are nothing but a bubble playoff team IMO...there game 7 display of crapping the bed shows how good they really are. Not that good.

On talk radio, they were discussing how that collapse of epic proportions was actually a good thing...because it really magnified what the make-up of the team actually is and didn't give management/ownership some false sense of security for the future.l.

Being the 5th best team in the Eastern Conference over 48 games and getting bounced in the 1rst round..in the fashion that the Leafs did is really not a solid foundation of planning the future on. In fact I would say the 7 games vs. the Bruins is probably a lot more useful to Nonis in determining which direction the team needs to go as far as individual player evaluations than the shortened 48 game sked did.

I think Nonis is smart and he doesn't have any special attachment to any player on this roster..which is a good thing. He doesn't have any pride to swallow or ego to protect...He can freely make decisions on players solely based on their performances in the most important games the Leafs played in the past decade.

I do believe Nonis will make significant changes to this roster. I for one am looking forward to how this GM can put his stamp on this team. Its not good enough and the answer is really not slapping a band aid on a fragile and mentally weak team.

Lets go Mr. Nonis. Show us what you can do.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Mitch44Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Can we not end this experiment already? I get that #1 centers are hard to get...but geez. The thought of signing Bozak to be ours sucks.
Who could we have next year that would be better? I would take an upgrade over Bozak any day of the week. For the pieces we would have to give up its not worth it. I would try and trade up in the draft and take one of the top ranked centres (Monahan)

I dont believe Statsny or someone of his ilk is what we need at our stage.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Who could we have next year that would be better? I would take an upgrade over Bozak any day of the week. For the pieces we would have to give up its not worth it. I would try and trade up in the draft and take one of the top ranked centres (Monahan)

I dont believe Statsny or someone of his ilk is what we need at our stage.
The problem with resigning Bozak is that he'll want term. If we sign him for 4+ years...then we have commited to having him as our #1 for to long. As far as options, i'd take Staz....sign Weiss or Ribs. Bozak is a good 2 or 3 C, problem is, we have Grabo, Kadri, Colborne and McClement.....so i don't see Bozak as a fit.