HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
My obsession is not with DD. It's with Gionta, DD & Gally on the top 3 lines. Of those three I prefer to have only one. And my choice is Gally.

I was big fan of DD - maybe a little too big of a fan. I was seduced by his vision & hockey sense. These playoffs showed me that if he doesn't play with players that can create space & time for him, DD will continue to perform like he did this year: good in the regular season & a washout in the playoffs.

You can't have both Gally & DD on the same team - we'll make no mention of Gionta. So that's why I would trade DD.
Where is it written you can't have those 3 guys on the same team?

That's probably the most preposterous thing I read on these boards...and I have read some pretty ridiculous stuff!

Should Boston't cup be taken from them because their top playoff line was too small with both Marchand(5'7" 180lbs) and Recchi(5'8" 185lbs) on the same line?

Maybe Ottawa can be disqualified from the playoffs because they have too many smurfs in Alfredsson Karlsson Pageau Turris?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Where is it written you can't have those 3 guys on the same team?

That's probably the most preposterous thing I read on these boards...and I have read some pretty ridiculous stuff!

Should Boston't cup be taken from them because their top playoff line was too small with both Marchand(5'7" 180lbs) and Recchi(5'8" 185lbs) on the same line?

Maybe Ottawa can be disqualified from the playoffs because they have too many smurfs in Alfredsson Karlsson Pageau Turris?
Pierre Gauthier is that you?

When a team wins the cup with 3 sub 5'8" players then come and tell me my post is preposterous.

Nothing more preposterous than comparing Marchand & Recchi with our three water bugs.

Marchand 5'9"
Recchi 5'10"

These two are closer to Pleks than to our smurfs. Couple that with the fact they're on a team with Chara, Thornton, Lucic, Campbell, Horton, Boychuck, McQuaid. Who do our smurfs have? Prust, Moen every second blue moon and White when he's played.

Yeah, your comparison really fits. Before you call anybody's post preposterous have a look at the nonsense you bring to the table.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Markov: : A former #1 defenseman that due to injuries, is slower, was bad defensively this year, and is going to run out of gas due to injuries/age. A #3-4 defenseman at the least a #2 at the very best (won't happen next year, happened this year).
I think we might be pleasantly surprised of Markov next year. Last season was long for him, he played in Russia before the NHL restarted and clearly lost a step during the season due to fatigue. While this might happen again we can hope he'll be better prepared next year due to actually having played last year. Its also expected that Subban gets much more ice time from the get go next season, hopefully Markov plays 20-22mins instead 25+ like he regularly did last season.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:

When a team wins the cup with 3 sub 5'8" players then come and tell me my post is preposterous.

Nothing more preposterous than comparing Marchand & Recchi with our three water bugs.

Marchand 5'9"
Recchi 5'10"

These two are closer to Pleks than to our smurfs. Couple that with the fact they're on a team with Chara, Thornton, Lucic, Campbell, Horton, Boychuck, McQuaid. Who do our smurfs have? Prust, Moen every second blue moon and White when he's played.

Yeah, your comparison really fits. Before you call anybody's post preposterous have a look at the nonsense you bring to the table.
Seriously tho and he claims that Alfreddson and Turris are smurfs lmao they're 5'11 and 6'1 far from smurfs, Turris would be considered a big player on our team

The problem is pretty obvious, it's ok to have DD or Gio or Gally but when you have 3 on your team, it's not ok. We played our best game of the series when we played physical, we had non-physical Pacioretty out of the line-up aswell as Gio, inserted "skates like he's 24" Halpern and Ryan White. We played a lot better with size in our line-up than the smurfs and non-physical 6'2 220lbs Pacioretty, who's turned into a sniper rather than a PWF.

DD only plays well when he has two 6'2+ wingers (like last year). We obviously don't have that, and we can't afford it unless we trade, so bump DD to the 3rd line.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Seriously tho and he claims that Alfreddson and Turris are smurfs lmao they're 5'11 and 6'1 far from smurfs, Turris would be considered a big player on our team

The problem is pretty obvious, it's ok to have DD or Gio or Gally but when you have 3 on your team, it's not ok. We played our best game of the series when we played physical, we had non-physical Pacioretty out of the line-up aswell as Gio, inserted "skates like he's 24" Halpern and Ryan White. We played a lot better with size in our line-up than the smurfs and non-physical 6'2 220lbs Pacioretty, who's turned into a sniper rather than a PWF.

DD only plays well when he has two 6'2+ wingers (like last year). We obviously don't have that, and we can't afford it unless we trade, so bump DD to the 3rd line.
bump him off the team not third line where he wont do anthing , if he cant produce on the top line and 1st wave of pp time , what is he going to do on the third line

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:07 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I won't be complaining if the following are replaced or just leave in the most obvious cases:

Kaberle
Nokelainen
Halpern
Weber
Armstrong
Ryder
Moen
----
Gorges (would need to be replaced obviously)
Gionta (same)
Bourque (same)

There's a certain hypocritical culture I can't really stand any more with the habs "leadership". I would want Gorges & Moen to follow Cole to change that and maybe Gionta if necessary, although he doesn't fit that bill. He just happens to be the captain of said leadership.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
bump him off the team not third line where he wont do anthing , if he cant produce on the top line and 1st wave of pp time , what is he going to do on the third line
As much as I want DD gone, it's probably best to keep him on the 3rd line centering Chuckie and possibly Clarkson, would be an interesting line.

Pacioretty-Pleky-Gally
Bourque-Eller-Gio
Chuckie-DD-Clarkson
Prust-Halpern-White
Moen

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Diaz
Bouillon

This should be our line-up if we decide to keep the same line-up, it's not horrible with the addition of Clarkson, but cap space would suggest Clarkson would be the only player we would be able of adding. Give more ice time to Tinordi and Diaz, less to Markov-Emelin.

The only thing I dislike in the offence line-up is Gio on that 2nd RW spot, I think he's not skilled enough anymore to compete with full force on that line, specially with Bourque on there. Lack of creativity, hopefully Lars could bring. 4rth line needs HW

Old
05-18-2013, 12:24 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
What's the obsession with dumping Desharnais now, he's better than what we can sign for 3.5 mil. The playoffs showed Galchenyuk isn't ready for the additional defensive responsibility of playing center. The smart move is to keep Desharnais till Glachenyuk is ready then trade him for an asset(s). Why is taht so hard for "supposedly" smart hockey fans?
what playoffs did you watch ? DD cant carry Glachy`s jock strap right now

he had no pp time , limited minutes and still out played and out scored the midget

he will be 210 lbs in camp , proved he can play with anyone and will be our big #1 center this team has lacked in 20 years

like the announcer for UFC says , " IT IS TIME " , he has nothing left to prove , he got his taste in a shortened season

how the f can he not play ahead of DD who showed us in the playoffs with hjim on your top 6 or team , he was utterley usless and a complete dissapointment

he is ok on a crap team in the reguaar season thats it when nothing is on the line

if we cant see what his worth is we all need

Old
05-18-2013, 12:29 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Everyone should agree with this:

Kaberle --> Out (Why did we get this guy for Spacegoat? Had a couple of months left on his contract... Why did you do it Gauthier? WHY?)

Moen --> Out (Disappointment all year long. What happened to him? He looked even slower, less physical, less effective in the 4th line role this year... Fed up with him.)

Desharnais --> Out (I admit it, I'm still not over our horrendous playoffs this year and Canada's loss yesterday got me even more down, but four more years of Desharnais? At $3,5M? F me! There is no way in hell Bergevin hasn't facepalmed over this signing. He might be useful in the regular season, but I can't imagine a different scenario than this year's come playoff hockey with respect to this player. It`ll be a miracle if he`s gone before next year`s start of the season, so he`ll be back sadly.)

Weber --> Out (There's nothing more to add.)

Drewiske --> Out (Gone as fast as he came here.)

Ryder --> ???? (I think a question mark characterizes him perfectly.)

Gionta --> Last Year (One last year, don't do anything fancy Bergevin. Don't do a Spacegoat type of trade, just let him be. Please.)
agreed add Cube and Armstrong to that list

Old
05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

I wonder what kind of trade value DD could get on the market.

If Edmonton is ready to trade their 7th overall pick for our 1rst+DD I do, that would be an ideal profitable trade.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:48 PM
CP31

Quote:

If Edmonton is ready to trade their 7th overall pick for our 1rst+DD I do, that would be an ideal profitable trade.
No way they do that imo

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
No way they do that imo
Valery Nichuskin, apperently going 6th would be such an ideal pick.
6'3 200lbs, russian RIGHT winger(position we lack size so desperately)
Apperently he's a dominant physical sniper. By reading his resume he looks like an Ilya Kovalchuck type of guy, but I agree I think Montreal would have to give something like Tinordi that high up in the draft.

EDIT: Seems a lot like Ovie actually, probably a mix of Kovy and Ovie :p

Last edited by Galchenyuk4habs: 05-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 03:00 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:

To even suggest a trade like this would be to completely disregard the Oilers needs. This has a zero chance of ever happening. The Oilers have enough all offense no defensive awareness types. If they make a move it will be to add a veteran like Clowe and some NHL quality defensemen. DD isn't on their radar even in the slightest.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Galchenyuk4habs

bump

Old
05-19-2013, 12:48 AM
bsl

Quote:
People I'd like to see go:

1) Gionta - but I am quite certain he's going nowhere. TRADE

2) DD - I was a big fan of David but these past playoffs showed me that he needs to be insulated by two big, bruising bone-crunching, forwards and this team doesn't have enough to spare. So it came down to keeping Gallagher or DD. Gally showed me more and I want only one smurf in our lineup. TRADE

3) Ryder - I got a love-hate relationship with this player. Right now after the putrid playoffs he had, I'm in my hate cycle and don't feel like paying him the term & money he'll expect. DON"T SIGN.

4) Kaberle - From the press conference sounds like MB still has hopes of trading him for a smelly jock strap but I'm 99.99% certain he'll be BOUGHT OUT

5) Webber - Not even worth explaining. TRADE

6) Diaz - Besides Emelin & Tinordi, we need another tough, stay-at-home, crease clearing defenceman. It came down to Gorges or Diaz. I opted for player 61. TRADE

The uncertain ones:

1) Moen - if I could get a good deal I would unload him. He no longer wants to play his game

2) Halpern - if he's not expecting too much I would keep him

3) Bouillon - I'd slot him as our 7th d.

4) Drewiske - I really didn't see enough of him & I don't know if he would appreciate being d #8.

The far fetch

1) Shop Price. See what his market value is and at the same time see what an up & coming goalie (Bernier for example) costs. If we come way ahead I'd go for it. An example of what I mean:

Price for a top 3 pick (would mean Mackinnon or Drouin), a 2nd rounder this year and a prospect

Bernier for Kristo + spare change.

I would jump on this trade. Many posters keep saying we got a lousy defence. I don't think so. I think our defence is in the top 7. We just need one gritty player back there. We just had an inconsistent goalie who made our D look bad.

But this ain't gonna happen. that's why I placed it in the far-fetch.

So I'd see our team like this

Bourque Pleks ******
Pacioretty Eller Gally
Prust Chuckie ******
Moen White/Halpern Armstrong

Markov Emelin
Gorges Subban
Tinordi *******
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

We need 2 forwards and one defenceman. Both of the forwards would have to be grittier than the three we let go. And those two would have to add power to our forward lineup & maintain the speed. The one D - well I explained above what I'd expect.
There is an understandable lack of patience here.

Good effort, but I keep seeing posts where we dump Gio, DD and Gorges this summer. It is not going to happen. For many reasons.

Bergy is not going to give up picks and prospects to get us into the second round next year. He just won't, and he should not.

I'm pretty sure he has a mandate to maker this team better over the longer term, or he would not have taken the job.

Longer term means using draft first of all, then timely trades, and LASTLY, UFA, the worst way to start building.

YOUTH is the new key in the NHL. Average age is going down.

I've posted a few times that Bergy will likely do the following this summer:

1. Obviously, go all out at draft. Trade up if TT has a 1st round gem he wants badly.

2. Offer players under contract that are not in the plan next year or are fading, for trade. Get as much as possible. Even a fifth is good. Look at Gally! In this group, would be:

Weber
Kaberle

3. Have quiet discussions with other GMs on players that can be kept for now, but may get a surprising offer of picks/prospects for making the team better long term. In this group would be:

Moen
Diaz
DD
Gorges

Losing any of these guys makes the team worse short term, and that is a balance Bergy has to make. I don't expect any of these guys will get an offer of picks/prospects good enough to justify being worse next year, but you have to try.

4. Buy out Kaberle if he cannot be traded.

5. Gio stays. He is the captain, and it would look very bad on Habs to trade him this summer. He gets his final year here. He's still good for 20.

6. Let UFA vets go. Go with youth next year. In this group:

Ryder
Army
Halpern

7. Trade for a YOUNG, big tough 3rd line winger with heart and potential for 15 goals. Stay far away from Clowe and Clarkson. This is Bergy's biggest challenge, and it may be impossible, as very few teams have that type of young player who is expendable. Give as few picks/prospects as possible for this player. This player has to be in the 7 year plan, if any picks or prospects are given for him. Otherwise, no trade.

8. Trade or UFA for a monster fighter with OK skills who can play 8 minutes on line 4, back up Prust, and keep the other team honest with Gally and Chuckie. Should not cost too much.

9. Trade or UFA big dependable crease clearing third pair D man. Preferably YOUNG. Not a top 4, a top 6-7. This guy preferably is also seen as part of the longer term, or don't do it. Thus is where trading Diaz and Moen to a top ten team that wants the cup now might work.

This is realistic. A lot of posts here are not, due to impatience. Get used to it, this is going to be a 3-4 year process. We will find our gems in the draft, and through a very few good trades, not in UFA.

And then, the process is ongoing. The 70's Habs rebuilt while winning, and that is ultimately what I want to see.

BSL's new rule: Stop trading for and UFA shopping for old plugs. Make almost every non emergency deal for a player/prospect that can be part of this team for the next 4-7 years, or don't do the deal.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Saintpatrick

Great post BSL. We saw what impatience can do to a team long term. Gainey's UFA rebuilt was disastrous.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:04 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
what playoffs did you watch ? DD cant carry Glachy`s jock strap right now

he had no pp time , limited minutes and still out played and out scored the midget

he will be 210 lbs in camp , proved he can play with anyone and will be our big #1 center this team has lacked in 20 years

like the announcer for UFC says , " IT IS TIME " , he has nothing left to prove , he got his taste in a shortened season

how the f can he not play ahead of DD who showed us in the playoffs with hjim on your top 6 or team , he was utterley usless and a complete dissapointment

he is ok on a crap team in the reguaar season thats it when nothing is on the line

if we cant see what his worth is we all need
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen. Sure Galchenyuk is awesome and he's had a great stretch of games and sure Desharnais really struggled but its hockey. Things change fast and unexpectedly all the time. Desharnais in 2011-12 was great, maybe he's the one that had a sophomore slump?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:09 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen. Sure Galchenyuk is awesome and he's had a great stretch of games and sure Desharnais really struggled but its hockey. Things change fast and unexpectedly all the time. Desharnais in 2011-12 was great, maybe he's the one that had a sophomore slump?
I think DD can bounce back. Not 100% sure but it can definitely happen.

Galchenyuk can hit a sophomore slump and it wouldn't shake my confidence in him but honestly I think he's just too good for that to happen.

He's not some borderline star like we've had for years now. He's just purely the real deal. He can be effective in so many ways. I just can't imagine how good he'll be once he gets stronger and quicker/faster. He'll be one of the most electrifying players in the game. **** we lucked out getting him.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:29 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Said the same things about Gomez.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:36 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
6'1" may be a solid height for an NHL player, especially for this team, but with Turris' physicality and weight, he would easily be one of the weakest players on the team. He is in DD territory in terms of strength and balance.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:51 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
6'1" may be a solid height for an NHL player, especially for this team, but with Turris' physicality and weight, he would easily be one of the weakest players on the team. He is in DD territory in terms of strength and balance.
Not even remotely close.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:15 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Said the same things about Gomez.
Said the same things about Plekanec as well.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:18 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:

Marchand 5'9"
Recchi 5'10"

And yet Boston is one of the smaller teams in the NHL. Detroit, the most successful franchise over the last 2 decades, is also one the smaller teams in the NHL.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Said the same things about Plekanec as well.
What Pleks does for this team is really underrated. Most of the time he's up against the best line on the opposing team, plays the PK and takes most of the defensive zone draws.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
And yet Boston is one of the smaller teams in the NHL. Detroit, the most successful franchise over the last 2 decades, is also one the smaller teams in the NHL.
lol http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl_po.php?tid=32

2 players are 5'09
2 players are 5'11
5 players are 6'00
3 players are 6'01
5 players are 6'02
2 players are 6'03
3 players are 6'04
1 player is 6'09 (GUESS WHO?)

I'd love to have a small team like this

Stripper is online now   Reply With Quote