HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Snider "I didn't pick Bryz"

Old
05-17-2013, 05:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I said it before, and I'll say it again: this team isn't going to win a championship until Ed retires

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
"I think we would have won that Cup (instead of losing in the Final to Chicago) if we had been a little more solid at the time in goal and not switching around so often". Geez Ed, that's the under-statement of the year and, if you believed that, why did you allow the exact same thing to happen the year following, following which you dumped both Richards and Carter who, by the way, are now likely thanking you immensely (along with Bobrovski and JVR, by the way). What a clown and RJ8812 has it right, "this team isn't going to win a championship until Ed retires".

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

LMAO! I didn't read the article at first when I saw this thread..just read all the comments first and the whole time I was thinking to myself..what an insulting denial!

The dude sent his private jet and lavished Bryz with praise and deference and it was no secret that from the crop of available goalies Bryz was the only one with the highest pedigree at the time.

Of course the article after I read it exposes Snider's BS....

I really hate Snider when he takes Flyers fans for fools.....he should know better but obviously his life of privilege and his big ego won't allow him to eat his humble pie...

Quote:
The article also reported that Snider met personally with Bryzgalov that summer, even sending his private jet to pick up Bryzgalov from New York after his flight in from Russia.

“I was very impressed with him,” Snider said. “He was intelligent, fun to be around. It really was a nice meeting.”
The Emperor has no clothes...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I said it before, and I'll say it again: this team isn't going to win a championship until Ed retires
Nobody matches Bill "Dollar Bill" Wirtz and how he was instrumental in Chicago not winning for years and Snider is no cheapo but man I do think he has become bad kharma.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:24 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
LMAO! I didn't read the article at first when I saw this thread..just read all the comments first and the whole time I was thinking to myself..what an insulting denial!

The dude sent his private jet and lavished Bryz with praise and deference and it was no secret that from the crop of available goalies Bryz was the only one with the highest pedigree at the time.

I really hate Snider when he takes Flyers fans for fools.....he should know better but obviously his life of privilege and his big ego won't allow him to eat his humble pie...

The Emperor has no clothes...

I see what you're getting at, but it's still a bit presumptive. I could see a scenario where Ed was excited that Paul and the team had a good chance to sign what was perceived to be a top (UFA) goalie, and in the excitement, he got "involved" and helped woo him over with the lavish treatment to try and help seal the deal.

It doesn't mean it was Ed's idea to make Bryz the team's target. More likely there was some discussion about goalie options and Bryz was one of the top candidates...maybe Homer or someone on the staff made a case for Bryzgalov...I highly doubt Snider was the one making the call on those kinds of player decisions...I can see him giving his blessing to the signing, but I have a ahrd time believeing Snider overrided Homer and his staff to pick the player he personally wanted.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

Being stubborn and in denial is very common for people who are older than dirt.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-18-2013 at 12:56 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:44 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Its funny to see Snider diss Al Davis. As a Flyer fan and a Raider fan, a much bigger Flyer one at that, Ed Snider couldnt shine Al Davis' shoes.
Having an owner like Snider, Davis, Steinbrenner, and/or Jerry Jones used to be a godsend because you used to be able to buy a championship in pretty much all of the 4 major sports. If you were willing to open up your wallet, and you had some reasonably competent guys in your front office, you could be a perennial contender.

With the salary cap, advanced stats, increased scouting, etc. that is no longer the case. In fact, most big money FA acquisitions these days end up hurting rather than helping, bogging you down with huge cap figures and little room to make moves.

This is a new era for sports, and I fear that we'll never see an owner like Snider, or Jones win another championship... because for all the money they have in their pockets, their impatience, willingness to overspend, and desire to be involved in the decision making makes them a (rather large) net negative.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:48 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
"I think we would have won that Cup (instead of losing in the Final to Chicago) if we had been a little more solid at the time in goal and not switching around so often". Geez Ed, that's the under-statement of the year and, if you believed that, why did you allow the exact same thing to happen the year following, following which you dumped both Richards and Carter who, by the way, are now likely thanking you immensely (along with Bobrovski and JVR, by the way). What a clown and RJ8812 has it right, "this team isn't going to win a championship until Ed retires".
I'm sure you're just trying to be politically correct, but you might as well change that "retires" to "dies" because Ed has already proven that as long as there's life in that ticker of his, he will not give up control of the Flyers and he certainly won't stop poking his nose into personnel decisions.

If you think otherwise, you're going to be sorely disappointed...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:48 AM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Being stubborn and in denial is very common for people who are older than dirt.
And people who are very wealthy and don't have people in their lives working for them who are going to call them out on their BS.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think this (along with Bryz's comments the other day) may be the proverbial death knell of the formerly neverending Bryz vs. the Universe saga.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:45 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Having an owner like Snider, Davis, Steinbrenner, and/or Jerry Jones used to be a godsend because you used to be able to buy a championship in pretty much all of the 4 major sports. If you were willing to open up your wallet, and you had some reasonably competent guys in your front office, you could be a perennial contender.

With the salary cap, advanced stats, increased scouting, etc. that is no longer the case. In fact, most big money FA acquisitions these days end up hurting rather than helping, bogging you down with huge cap figures and little room to make moves.

This is a new era for sports, and I fear that we'll never see an owner like Snider, or Jones win another championship... because for all the money they have in their pockets, their impatience, willingness to overspend, and desire to be involved in the decision making makes them a (rather large) net negative.
This is the single biggest reason why the Flyers won't win until Ed passes. He comes at it from way too much of a fan perspective, and he puts immeasurable pressure on the management team to make moves every offseason. About the only major offseason shakeup that's worked so far was the Timonen and Hartnell signings. The signings or trades for Briere, Pronger, and Bryz have all been disasters, in my opinion. The Richards/Carter saga is still up in the air, but if the Kings win another one and this core doesn't, then you have to consider that a big time loss on top of a huge embarrassment.

Wealthy owners need to just be the wallet anymore. Look at what it did for Dan Snyder and the Redskins. Trust the hockey minds to do their jobs like Jacobs has done in Boston.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
This is the single biggest reason why the Flyers won't win until Ed passes. He comes at it from way too much of a fan perspective, and he puts immeasurable pressure on the management team to make moves every offseason. About the only major offseason shakeup that's worked so far was the Timonen and Hartnell signings. The signings or trades for Briere, Pronger, and Bryz have all been disasters, in my opinion. The Richards/Carter saga is still up in the air, but if the Kings win another one and this core doesn't, then you have to consider that a big time loss on top of a huge embarrassment.

Wealthy owners need to just be the wallet anymore. Look at what it did for Dan Snyder and the Redskins. Trust the hockey minds to do their jobs like Jacobs has done in Boston.
As a Redskins fan, the best thing that ever happened to that franchise was the hiring of Mike Shannahan and Bruce Allen. Both are very strong personalities and they told Snyder flat out that they make the football decisions and that Snyder needed to trust them to do the right thing.

That's the thing with owners like Davis, Snyder, Snider, etc......As a GM, you need to be a strong willed GM and let them know that you're running the hockey operations and they need to trust the decisions you make.

Now, do I think Ed said to Holmgren that Bryzgalov was the guy he wanted? I don't think he said Bryzgalov's name, but that he told Holmgren the goaltending carousel needs to stop and that Holmgren needs to get a starting goaltender. I think Snider pushed the idea of getting a starter and that Holmgren jumped on what the boss said.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
As a Redskins fan, the best thing that ever happened to that franchise was the hiring of Mike Shannahan and Bruce Allen. Both are very strong personalities and they told Snyder flat out that they make the football decisions and that Snyder needed to trust them to do the right thing.

That's the thing with owners like Davis, Snyder, Snider, etc......As a GM, you need to be a strong willed GM and let them know that you're running the hockey operations and they need to trust the decisions you make.

Now, do I think Ed said to Holmgren that Bryzgalov was the guy he wanted? I don't think he said Bryzgalov's name, but that he told Holmgren the goaltending carousel needs to stop and that Holmgren needs to get a starting goaltender. I think Snider pushed the idea of getting a starter and that Holmgren jumped on what the boss said.
Bingo.

This is prototypical ********* double-talking; nothing more. "I didn't pick Bryzgalov... I just told Holmgren he has until the start of next season to get the best goaltender we haven't had since Lindbergh and Hextall, or he's out of a job."

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:04 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm sure you're just trying to be politically correct, but you might as well change that "retires" to "dies" because Ed has already proven that as long as there's life in that ticker of his, he will not give up control of the Flyers and he certainly won't stop poking his nose into personnel decisions.

If you think otherwise, you're going to be sorely disappointed...
Yup, the only way Snider's going out is in a box.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

It's another reason why the Flyers hire so many ex-players for management positions. Ed loves his "yes men" that feel a sense of loyalty to him. It's no secret that Snider has been calling the big shots. A lot of that stems from the Stanley Cup teams that he constructed, and how he was the guy to make the decision to get tougher. Since then, he thinks he's fit to make personnel decisions.

I don't think he specifically told Homer to get Bryz either, but he put a ton of pressure on him to end the goalie situation. So Homer went after the biggest fish of a weak UFA crop just to show that he was listening. Because of that, we have this fiasco.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Snider actually asked someone else to be the General Manager of this team before he asked Holmgren. I can't remember the guys name but I don't think he is a loyal person to Snider. He turned the job down though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Snider actually asked someone else to be the General Manager of this team before he asked Holmgren. I can't remember the guys name but I don't think he is a loyal person to Snider. He turned the job down though.
He offered Colin Campbell the job prior to Homer. Campbell rejected it.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
That's who it was. Couldn't remember it. He doesn't just want his former players though, I honestly think he brings in the person he thinks will lead them to the promised land.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Really? I'm kind of happy about that. Wasn't a fan of him as the Director of Hockey Operations or whatever he was.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
This is a trainwreck crashing into a fiery debacle.

05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I'm kind of happy about that. Wasn't a fan of him as the Director of Hockey Operations or whatever he was.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2645568

Old
05-18-2013, 06:05 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
We are doomed until this ******* steps away or dies. He truely is the Al Davis of hockey.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The first thing about being a Flyers fan is that you never believe anything these guys say

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:50 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
We are doomed until this ******* steps away or dies. He truely is the Al Davis of hockey.
This is one of the most ludicrous statements I have read on HF.

Snider is FAR from a problem. He wants to win, he spends to win, and largely, this team HAS won. He is ABSOLUTELY nothing like Al Davis. The Flyers have played MANY different styles of hockey in the last 15 years and draft as good as anyone. The Raiders made overreaching draft picks on flawed players left and right for the last 10+ years and try to play a style in the NFL that is stale and predictable.

There is a TREMENDOUS amount of luck that goes into this business, and there is NO sure fire guarantee of how best to win a stanley cup. If we had gotten Kane instead of JVR we would likely be a VERY different team....pure dumb luck.

We have made some crushing choices (to our organizational depth) the last few years trading away picks chasing "our window", and the main piece of that effort had an extremely unlucky injury and his career is over. This has undoubtedly set us back now, but we also got within 2 games of a cup because of it.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 05-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:05 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

This is why I love HFBoards. Continues to give me plenty of angles for me and my crew to write about. Thanks for sharing this.

I agree with RJ the most. Once Snider is gone, and his whole "mentality" is out the window, we can finally win.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote