HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dion Phaneuf

Old
05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
John Stamos
Watch the hair!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
He can't play that many himself. Gardiner was more impressive in the playoffs with similar ice time. And I'm sorry but looking on behindthenet Phaneufs matchups really don't look that hard.
you must have been looking at the wrong player, because Phaneuf had the hardest QoC for any d-man who played 20+ games. Also the worst QoT on the list aswell. But please don't let the facts (that you clearly looked at) get in the way of your judgement.

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Phaneuf is a UFA. If he takes a nice hometown discount, say 4.5 that would be HUGE. Realistically I see him taking possibly $5 mil.

Rielly has got #1 D-man written on him, he reminds alot of Duncan Keith. If he progresses the way he has (basically NHL ready next season), you'd be somewhat strong with a top 6 of Rielly/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Gunnar/Fraser/Franson, with Blacker and Finn inching up on the list.

Brewsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
madmike77

He won't go anywhere. And I don't think he'd fetch a ton - likely close to what Bouwmeester got the Flames - a mid-to-low 1st and a couple of middling prospects.

The problem is he is still overpaid - and he's a UFA after this season. Although the UFA part could be good because I don't think there's any way he'll get close to 6.5 million on a new contract - likely closer to 4.5 - 5.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

vCash: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19Duchene9 View Post
David Jones and Greg Zanon. Jones is a capable of scoring 30+ goals and Zanon is an elite shot blocker. Really fits the holes in your team.

Wait there is more!

Then maybe Stastny + 3rd 2014 if Stastny signs with the leafs for JVR and Morgan Reilly? Stastny fills the 1st line hole the leafs drastically need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
No to both....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
Wow, u have got to be kidding. Colorado would give David Jones away for nothing, they tried at the trade deadline with no takers, thanks to his contract. So Zanon for Phaneuf Come on now

AND

JVR alone is worth more than Stastny. If this was 4 years ago, then maybe Stastny has more value but not now after 3 down seasons. AND you want our top prospect and future franchise defenceman? Give ur head a shake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post

What in the blue Hell is this?!?!?
I love threads where Avs fan's apparent ninja-like humor confuses Leaf fans.

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
I love threads where Avs fan's apparent ninja-like humor confuses Leaf fans.
Whats an Av's fan ?

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
Whats an Av's fan ?
Bazinga!!!

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Habsawce

Toronto should trade Phaneuf while his value is somewhat high (I guess?), since he's really not very good. He has very low hockey IQ and is not going to get any better than he is right now.

I would imagine if there is a good return they would though, hard to think Nonis has much faith in this guy after watching him in the playoffs.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Toronto should trade Phaneuf while his value is somewhat high (I guess?), since he's really not very good. He has very low hockey IQ and is not going to get any better than he is right now.

I would imagine if there is a good return they would though, hard to think Nonis has much faith in this guy after watching him in the playoffs.
Phaneuf is a 45-50 point defenseman who plays some of the toughest minutes for defensemen.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Phaneuf is a 45-50 point defenseman who plays some of the toughest minutes for defensemen.
Oh you mean 5-8 years ago when he played for Calgary and got 45-50 points or now when he plays against top players and is a minus player?

I'm confused?

Old
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Habsawce

Look, I'm not trying to bash Dion Phaneuf. He's a good hockey player but he's not a 6.5/year Captain type of hockey player in my eyes. All I was trying to say was that if some other team was willing to trade for him and give a decent return I believe Toronto would be foolish not to do it.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Oh you mean 5-8 years ago when he played for Calgary and got 45-50 points or now when he plays against top players and is a minus player?

I'm confused?
He got 28 points in 48 games this year and was the anchor of our PK (top 3 in the league) and played in every other situation as well. He was matched against the oppositions' top lines every night and carried our defense.

I understand he's not a perfect... but trading him away from the Leafs would immediately downgrade our defense and team toughness. Unless a player coming back is BETTER than Dion, we'll take a huge step back next year.

Dion needs a parter who can play huge minutes and provide the shut down compliment he needs to open up his offensive and hitting game. A Roman Polak type of guy.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 251
From Ottawa:

Milan Michalek F 4,333,333 Cap Hit in 2013-2014
Mark Borowiecki D (Lowish Cap hit, strong D prospect)
Round 2 pick.

Michalek is pretty fragile but if he's healthy he can get you 20+ goals.
Borowiecki is a largish D prospect that could trend upward for you guys but shouldn't be a key cog for us.
The second round pick is futures. The Senators are trending upward so it should be in the 40ish range so a long-term future.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
From Ottawa:

Round 2 pick.

Borowiecki is a largish D prospect that could trend upward for you guys but shouldn't be a key cog for us.
The second round pick is futures. The Senators are trending upward so it should be in the 40ish range so a long-term future.
We don't need wingers. It's probably the only position we're completely set at.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
From Ottawa:

Round 2 pick.

Not a chance. Doesn't solve any Leaf problems and destroys our defense.

I guess I'd love this trade from Ottawa's perspective... their D gets a lot better and the Leafs return to the league's basement.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
We don't need wingers. It's probably the only position we're completely set at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Not a chance. Doesn't solve any Leaf problems and destroys our defense.

I guess I'd love this trade from Ottawa's perspective... their D gets a lot better and the Leafs return to the league's basement.
We aren't trading Karlsson for Phaneuf, let's be real.
We aren't trading Cowen for him.
Gonchar is ending is tenure here and he's not what you want.

We'd have to send salary back, and you'd want a "D" prospect. Gryba maybe?
The thing is, we can't give you what Phaneuf provides, which is an experienced, minute-munching D-man that can give 30ish points a year and has some leadership. Milo would at least give you some scoring death since it looks like Kule/Frattin & co. are somewhat incosnsitent. We're not taking a 6.5 cap hit back without giving you some so...make a proposal?

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:

I'm confused?
5-8 years ago? He got 44 points last season and was on pace for 48 through this season.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
veedubn1

Quote:

The thing is, we can't give you what Phaneuf provides, which is an experienced, minute-munching D-man that can give 30ish points a year and has some leadership. Milo would at least give you some scoring death since it looks like Kule/Frattin & co. are somewhat incosnsitent. We're not taking a 6.5 cap hit back without giving you some so...make a proposal?
I don't think there's a deal to be made between the two clubs.

The Leafs are trending upwards as well... the only thing you could offer that could get them to listen would be Spezza. The Sens are performing well enough without him and he'd be perfect for the Leafs top line.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Kbs

Quote:

I don't want to trade Phaneuf, so I'm not going to make a proposal.

Also, we don't need scoring depth. We haven't had trouble scoring in years, so picking up another winger doesn't help us at all. If we did trade him for whatever reason, I'd suspect it'd be for a centre or a defenseman.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
you must have been looking at the wrong player, because Phaneuf had the hardest QoC for any d-man who played 20+ games. Also the worst QoT on the list aswell. But please don't let the facts (that you clearly looked at) get in the way of your judgement.
Correct. Now look at the matchups, which is what I was talking about, not his QoC and QoT. Granted those are pretty good indicators of his minutes.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
I don't think there's a deal to be made between the two clubs.

The Leafs are trending upwards as well... the only thing you could offer that could get them to listen would be Spezza. The Sens are performing well enough without him and he'd be perfect for the Leafs top line.
I'd agree with this. I don't expect Sens fans to say yes, but that's probably what it would take.

If Phaneuf is traded, it wouldn't be for spare parts from another team. It would be a hockey trade.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
5-8 years ago? He got 44 points last season and was on pace for 48 through this season.
Then he should have said 44-50 points and on pace means nothing, Subban was on pace for like 75 points, think he would have achieved that?

For me it comes down to Phaneuf having all the physical and natural talents in the world to be an elite player but he is easily one of the worst players in the league in regards to hockey IQ. He makes horrible decisions on the ice over and over, not sure how others don't see this.

There's no need for anyone to go into a big Corsi Fenwick argument about Phaneuf, it's been done before a million times. I just believe it would be beneficial for the Leafs to get something of value for him if they could move him.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Then he should have said 44-50 points and on pace means nothing, Subban was on pace for like 75 points, think he would have achieved that?

For me it comes down to Phaneuf having all the physical and natural talents in the world to be an elite player but he is easily one of the worst players in the league in regards to hockey IQ. He makes horrible decisions on the ice over and over, not sure how others don't see this.

There's no need for anyone to go into a big Corsi Fenwick argument about Phaneuf, it's been done before a million times. I just believe it would be beneficial for the Leafs to get something of value for him if they could move him.
Jesus.

It is 1 bloody point difference.

Could Erik Karlsson have hit 75+ points.. before he hit 75+ points?

Subban has the potential to do that and the facts support that theory in over half a season of sample size.

Phaneuf holding a pace of 4 points higher than his previous season is also crazy isn't it? There is no way a player like Phaneuf could achieve that.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:32 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
I just believe it would be beneficial for the Leafs to get something of value for him if they could move him.
You think the Leafs could trade Dion and become a better team?

Or are you suggesting the Leafs just accept anything... like a 2nd rounder?

Old
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
johnnyutah

I would trade Dion str8 up for a 5th overall pick. But that is just because I REALLY like top 5 picks. It would probably prevent the leafs from making the playoffs, most leaf fans wouldnt do it.

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

MN wild are collecting captains...what would it take?
he would rock as a partner for Brodin.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote