HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Don't The Habs Ever Get Any Credit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2013, 06:44 PM
  #1
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Why Don't The Habs Ever Get Any Credit?

I know RDS always gives the Habs credit but TSN, SPORTSNET, THE SCORE, CBC and some radio networks never give them any credit no matter what they accomplish. This is one of the most successful sports franchises in north America. The New York Yankees get respect anywhere in north America yet just in Canada alone the Habs get hardly any.

When listening to the main stream sports media in Canada at least I always hear talk about the Leafs and other teams and how good they are and how a team like the Leafs have improved and analyze them for an extended period of time. Here are the Habs a team that went from last to 2nd in the east and the best team points wise in the NHL for a Canadian team and that all we hear is "oh they went from last to 2nd place thats impressive". We never hear guys from TSN, SPORTSNET, CBC, or THE SCORE elaborate on why they think the team was so much better yet they just change the subject and move on.

I am so tired of the most successful NHL franchise being tossed to the side by the media and how everyone seems to have a hate on for them. The only thing I can think of is that all of the main media outlets are based out of Toronto. Which is a joke in itself. What happened to unbias reporting thats all I ask for as a fan. Not for the media to only talk about the Habs but to talk about the Habs at the same respect and depth of the Leafs or any other Canadian team.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:55 PM
  #2
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Because for decades the Habs beat the **** out of any team, anybody. why do you think people in Boston hate our team so much?

Because we "dive"? LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruins%...adiens_rivalry

TSN is located in Toronto, as well as CBC. Do you really think it's already not hard enough for them to not show they hate the Montreal Canadiens? There's no way they will give credit to our team.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:55 PM
  #3
xxsciroccoxx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Haters gonna hate!

xxsciroccoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
  #4
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
WakeUpNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
No credit? Twenty years if futility might explain it.
Plus being the ROC favorite whipping boys suits CBC just fine. Healy, Cherry, PJ Stock... all haters/losers that blame the Habs organization for their own shortcomings.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  #5
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Because for decades the Habs beat the **** out of any team, anybody. why do you think people in Boston hate our team so much?

Because we "dive"? LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruins%...adiens_rivalry

TSN is located in Toronto, as well as CBC. Do you really think it's already not hard enough for them to not show they hate the Montreal Canadiens? There's no way they will give credit to our team.
Just too bad they they have to focus on the ********* team in sports. I think reporting and bias go hand and hand these days. Too bad real reporting is gone.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:07 PM
  #6
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
No credit? Twenty years if futility might explain it.
Plus being the ROC favorite whipping boys suits CBC just fine. Healy, Cherry, PJ Stock... all haters/losers that blame the Habs organization for their own shortcomings.
He gives more credit to the habs than anyone at CBC!

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:10 PM
  #7
WakeUpNHL
Registered User
 
WakeUpNHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
He gives more credit to the habs than anyone at CBC!
That's because after all the beatings he got from the 70's Habs team has turned him into our Bia****tch.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:11 PM
  #8
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
He gives more credit to the habs than anyone at CBC!
He still always find a way to hate them. Everytime the analysts need to show who they think is gonna win "X" award, it is always another player from another team with PJ. No Subban, no Gallagher, no Therrien, no Bergevin.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  #9
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,886
vCash: 500
Because TSN and CBC are in Toronto and they get more views the more they talk about the Leafs.

Also, for some reason our poor playoffs completely invalidates our whole season whereas the Leafs' historic choke job doesn't matter because they played 2 more games than us.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  #10
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Because TSN and CBC are in Toronto and they get more views the more they talk about the Leafs.

Also, for some reason our poor playoffs completely invalidates our whole season whereas the Leafs' historic choke job doesn't matter because they played 2 more games than us.
couldn't be said any better

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
  #11
dcyhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Too bad there aren't more Quebecois refs. The band of Torontonians we have are bitter that they can't help the leafs because the few fans the unviable American franchises have would leave if they didn't get all the calls and they take it out on the habs.

This year's series seriously worried me because the habs will have to be massively better than anyone else to take another cup. Being good enough won't fly. Every series they've been in since '93 has had zany reffing:

Against buffalo with Vigneault they had sabres cycling without the puck to run Moog with no call and Hasek got calls when people tried to take the puck off his stick without touching him.
Justin Williams was allowed to whack people in the head with no calls. I admit he kept doing it after the habs series but he didn't get anyone the way he got Koivu after that, either. He went on a scoring spree because no one would defend him because they knew they would get hit in the head by his stick.
Even the series against Boston that they won featured some glaring non-calls, and then there was Mclaren...
Against the senators this year you just look at game 4. What can you say? WWF. Shameful. Beyond the obvious calls the refs were looking at the Ottawa players to decide what to do on faceoffs. Crazy...

In the regular season there are a number of refs that are worth at least a goal for the opponents, like Chris Lee, but in the playoffs it gets crazy. Homer calls are normal, there was a study that indicated the home field advantage in all sports was due to partisan officiating, but it's normally a small advantage.

I think the habs may be toast long term. The leafs too, oddly enough. The reffing against Boston (in the Toronto series) wasn't quite as blatant, but there was bias. Habs fans and Leafs fans will attend games if the team sucks. American teams won't. It's pretty clear the league gets that, and wants to maximize profits (and TV contracts, the Canadian outlets will pay even if there are no Canadian teams yet again).

We need a Canadian hockey league. The NHL has sunk too low.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
  #12
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,118
vCash: 500
Forgetting about external factors for a moment, the Habs don't get respect because they don't deserve it:
  • 20 years of futility.
  • Their best player, Carey Price, has been inconclusive at best in the playoffs and he's been in the league for ages already.
  • They have a small, incoherently assembled team that does not evoke any intimidation or envy from any other team in the league.
  • No star talent up front to focus on.
  • No team identity - they're not "tough team", they're not the "skilled team", they're not the "character team" - for nearly 20 years. Management coasted on Koivu's personal victories as if the entire organization had his conviction and acted in kind.
  • No cutting edge in the management - yeas of "nearly" getting that piece or this piece have rendered them bit-players at every deadline and in free agency (and when they do dabble in free agency or trades they turn into the laughingstock of the league. Gomez, Gionta, Spacek, Gill, Moen, and Cammalleri all in one week. Thanks Bob, you shouldn't have.)
  • Years of tending to the gluttonous local media have led to this symbiotic relationship of bs fed back and forth - though this could be a metaphor for Montreal public works.

The media doesn't care about us on the ice because our team hasn't been very interesting and we still have the stank of Jacques Martin's awful negative-hockey only just starting to fade but still lack any established game-breaking dynamism that neutrals love to watch. The media don't care about our back-office dealings because we're very boring in everything we do: we don't draft off the board, we don't trade for or sign marquee players and half of the noise we generate is in French and is therefore non-existent for the rest of the league.

I say, instead of blaming everyone except the Habs, maybe the fans should reconsider what makes their great organization so great because they've been anything but great in everything except pomp and excess - capitalized when the reigning GM retired his own number in an extravagant show of insouciant pride and pale arrogance.

I started reading columns critical of the Canadiens organization and the general gist of it is: we have our heads firmly up our own ***** when it comes to our organization and on-ice product. Mediocrity and pomp all the way through.

And I say this as a die-hard fan who has faith in the team and even during Gainey/Gauthier/Present saw upward development and progression - it's just taking way too long and we're close to spoiling the current batch of mid-20s players like we did the last one. How many years longer will Price, Gorges, Patches and Pleks be at 100%?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:46 PM
  #13
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
He still always find a way to hate them. Everytime the analysts need to show who they think is gonna win "X" award, it is always another player from another team with PJ. No Subban, no Gallagher, no Therrien, no Bergevin.
Yeah but that could be their honest opinion. I seriously doubt it is intentional avoiding of choosing a Habs player/management especially since it helps their hockey rep if they are correct. The actual awards will tell, but realistically, how many do you think will be winners in that list of candidates ... one maybe?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, Montreal has been nothing but an average team for the last twenty years, nothing more than any other team in Canada, so they get no more than average coverage and discussion of one of the non core viewing area teams. Also, keep in mind that one third of Canada's population lives within 200 miles of the Air Canada Center so no doubt there is going to be more concentration for the team with the largest fan base and that will garner the most viewers. It is a business afterall.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:47 PM
  #14
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
A couple of reasons...

1. Historically, the Habs have eliminated many teams in 100 years of playoff history and have smashed the dreams of almost every Eastern fan base at one time or another. Look it up. Hockey fans remember the hurt.

2. Politics... Its easy for outside observers to dislike the politics and policies of Quebec, in general. And with very good reason too (won't go there, though).

True that Cherry gives Montreal credit on occasion.

Habs against the World!

Ps. Despite it all, the Canadiens fans number in the millions... spread far and wide.


Last edited by Born in 1909: 05-17-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:30 PM
  #15
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
A couple of reasons...

1. Historically, the Habs have eliminated many teams in 100 years of playoff history and have smashed the dreams of almost every Eastern fan base at one time or another. Look it up. Hockey fans remember the hurt.

2. Politics... Its easy for outside observers to dislike the politics and policies of Quebec, in general. And with very good reason too (won't go there, though).

True that Cherry gives Montreal credit on occasion.

Habs against the World!

Ps. Despite it all, the Canadiens fans number in the millions... spread far and wide.
Actually, I think most people outside of Quebec really just don't care about hockey from and politics based on the last century one way or the other. To them that is last century's news and nothing to bother talking about.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:37 PM
  #16
sammy d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Forgetting about external factors for a moment, the Habs don't get respect because they don't deserve it:
  • 20 years of futility.
  • Their best player, Carey Price, has been inconclusive at best in the playoffs and he's been in the league for ages already.
  • They have a small, incoherently assembled team that does not evoke any intimidation or envy from any other team in the league.
  • No star talent up front to focus on.
  • No team identity - they're not "tough team", they're not the "skilled team", they're not the "character team" - for nearly 20 years. Management coasted on Koivu's personal victories as if the entire organization had his conviction and acted in kind.
  • No cutting edge in the management - yeas of "nearly" getting that piece or this piece have rendered them bit-players at every deadline and in free agency (and when they do dabble in free agency or trades they turn into the laughingstock of the league. Gomez, Gionta, Spacek, Gill, Moen, and Cammalleri all in one week. Thanks Bob, you shouldn't have.)
  • Years of tending to the gluttonous local media have led to this symbiotic relationship of bs fed back and forth - though this could be a metaphor for Montreal public works.

The media doesn't care about us on the ice because our team hasn't been very interesting and we still have the stank of Jacques Martin's awful negative-hockey only just starting to fade but still lack any established game-breaking dynamism that neutrals love to watch. The media don't care about our back-office dealings because we're very boring in everything we do: we don't draft off the board, we don't trade for or sign marquee players and half of the noise we generate is in French and is therefore non-existent for the rest of the league.

I say, instead of blaming everyone except the Habs, maybe the fans should reconsider what makes their great organization so great because they've been anything but great in everything except pomp and excess - capitalized when the reigning GM retired his own number in an extravagant show of insouciant pride and pale arrogance.

I started reading columns critical of the Canadiens organization and the general gist of it is: we have our heads firmly up our own ***** when it comes to our organization and on-ice product. Mediocrity and pomp all the way through.

And I say this as a die-hard fan who has faith in the team and even during Gainey/Gauthier/Present saw upward development and progression - it's just taking way too long and we're close to spoiling the current batch of mid-20s players like we did the last one. How many years longer will Price, Gorges, Patches and Pleks be at 100%?
Your so wrong, has nothing to do with anything you listed, Leafs are worse in every aspect. There is only 1 thing networks care about and that is ratings. Leafs draw more on most networks only because Habs games are on RDS. If Habs drew more viewers nationally the media would be all over them. Plus all these networks are based in Toronto. Toronto has been craptastic for years yet people watch, that is the only thing networks care about.

That is all.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:48 PM
  #17
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
I know RDS always gives the Habs credit but TSN, SPORTSNET, THE SCORE, CBC and some radio networks never give them any credit no matter what they accomplish. This is one of the most successful sports franchises in north America. The New York Yankees get respect anywhere in north America yet just in Canada alone the Habs get hardly any.

When listening to the main stream sports media in Canada at least I always hear talk about the Leafs and other teams and how good they are and how a team like the Leafs have improved and analyze them for an extended period of time. Here are the Habs a team that went from last to 2nd in the east and the best team points wise in the NHL for a Canadian team and that all we hear is "oh they went from last to 2nd place thats impressive". We never hear guys from TSN, SPORTSNET, CBC, or THE SCORE elaborate on why they think the team was so much better yet they just change the subject and move on.

I am so tired of the most successful NHL franchise being tossed to the side by the media and how everyone seems to have a hate on for them. The only thing I can think of is that all of the main media outlets are based out of Toronto. Which is a joke in itself. What happened to unbias reporting thats all I ask for as a fan. Not for the media to only talk about the Habs but to talk about the Habs at the same respect and depth of the Leafs or any other Canadian team.
If we want to get more credit, we'll have to ice better teams. We've been terrible for years. It's only now that we finally have some young elite players to build around. As we get better it will get recognized.

As for us not getting credit, Subban and Gallagher are up for individual awards and the only reason Theodore beat Iginila for the Hart was because he was from Montreal.

As for the Leafs... they've been ripped on for years now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:05 AM
  #18
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
For those saying that the Habs don't get much respect from the Canadian media because they haven't been 'successful' for the past 20 years, it doesn't explain why other Canadian NHL teams (*cough* Leafs *cough*) 'deserve' more admiration.

In any case, I don't think they are particularly anti-Habs, moreso they're slow to praise and quick exaggerate team problems.

I suppose RDS is supportive towards the Habs, but I have the feeling they're stuck in the old glory days during the dynasties with many prominent Quebecois players on the team. They also like to cheer on players from Quebec on other teams almost as much (like Patrice Bergeron).

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:38 AM
  #19
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
The Yankees comparison is a bit moot, considering they've been contenders almost every year for a long time and have won championships recently.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:50 AM
  #20
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
For those saying that the Habs don't get much respect from the Canadian media because they haven't been 'successful' for the past 20 years, it doesn't explain why other Canadian NHL teams (*cough* Leafs *cough*) 'deserve' more admiration.

In any case, I don't think they are particularly anti-Habs, moreso they're slow to praise and quick exaggerate team problems.

I suppose RDS is supportive towards the Habs, but I have the feeling they're stuck in the old glory days during the dynasties with many prominent Quebecois players on the team. They also like to cheer on players from Quebec on other teams almost as much (like Patrice Bergeron).
In what world have the Leafs gotten more admiration? They've been laughed at for a long time now.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:05 AM
  #21
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
In what world have the Leafs gotten more admiration? They've been laughed at for a long time now.
By CBC, Sportsnet and TSN? The Leafs are hardly laughed at. They're supported like RDS supports the Habs (and are impartial towards the other teams).

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:29 AM
  #22
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk27 View Post
The Yankees comparison is a bit moot, considering they've been contenders almost every year for a long time and have won championships recently.
In the early 90's when the Yankees were terrible they still got respect. Maybe even more respect in the years that the jays won the world series. In the united states that is we all know the jays were the soul focus in Canada.

For anyone saying the reason why we don't get any coverage because we have sucked for years is respectively wrong. Sure the leafs get laughed at all the time for decades but in the end they get the most props from the media where the habs get hardly any talk any analysis and any credit weather its an individual performance or a team performance like this year for example. People say we have been crap for years and thats why we don't get credit but this year we are a top 5 team in the entire league and still get no credit other than possible awards. Seems like no matter how we do the team gets **** on.

Honestly I don't mind that the mainstream English media pays hardly any attention to us cause it's less pressure and less time for the "experts" to set high expectations on the team. Less pressure the french media is enough

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:39 AM
  #23
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
We don't get more respect because they haven't been more relevant/competitive year in year out than a team like the Sens in the last 20 years.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:00 AM
  #24
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 550
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
A couple of reasons...

1. Historically, the Habs have eliminated many teams in 100 years of playoff history and have smashed the dreams of almost every Eastern fan base at one time or another. Look it up. Hockey fans remember the hurt.

2. Politics... Its easy for outside observers to dislike the politics and policies of Quebec, in general. And with very good reason too (won't go there, though).

True that Cherry gives Montreal credit on occasion.

Habs against the World!

Ps. Despite it all, the Canadiens fans number in the millions... spread far and wide.
Tiesto is a habs too

Genesis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:45 AM
  #25
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
By CBC, Sportsnet and TSN? The Leafs are hardly laughed at. They're supported like RDS supports the Habs (and are impartial towards the other teams).
They aren't really supported or denigrated so much as put under the microscope.

Sportsnet ignores MTL because they don't cover their games, goes the same for Winnipeg.

CBC is generally pretty bad on Habs but the primary reason for that is their guy in Montreal is PJ Stock whose closer to Steve Carell's character from Anchorman than real hockey analyst.

TSN, seems to cover MTL pretty even handedly, pretty much the same as any Canadian team that isn't the Leafs. People might rather they act like the home town broadcasts on their TSN-Habs regional channel coverage like Sportsnet does but TSN doesn't work that way. They obsess over the Leafs like everyone else but that's how you pay the bills in English Canadian sports coverage. Montreal gets as much attention as Vancouver and probably more than Calgary/Edmonton.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.