HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

If you were Poile who would you trade?

Old
05-16-2013, 07:51 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
He will be in NHL, but should be a third line centre to start, so not to much pressure. He has already played and excelled against NHL players
That doesn't make sense. He's a top 6 talent. That's where he belongs. He played against Mikko Koivu, held his own and got complemented by Koivu at how good he is. If he can hang with Koivu he will do fine against NHL competition night in and night out.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hanging with Koivu and a few NHLers is different than playing against all NHLers for a full 82 games getting 20+ a night a typical top 6 player would get.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I'd love to see Stastny in gold. Bring him in for a draft pick and a prospect or Blum and I think it makes a big difference.

Wilson-Stastny-Kostitsyn (who I think will have a bounceback year)
Bourque-Fisher-Hornqvist
Smith-Legwand-Forsberg
Spaling-Gaustad-Clune/Yip

That's not a bad lineup. Much stronger up the middle. Three lines that can score, and a fourth line that will chip in some offense.
That's a lot of depth for sure and the type of team BT loves.

I'd pencil Beck into it somewhere though. IMHO he's more ready than Forsberg.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hanging with Koivu and a few NHLers is different than playing against all NHLers for a full 82 games getting 20+ a night a typical top 6 player would get.
Yet other guys have done just that. If you have the horses you play them. If we land a guy like Barkov you put him in there. Same with Forsberg. We're not getting these kids to play bottom 6, these are top 6 talents and that's where they need to be. That's also why you have vets that help them through the transition. It's rough sometimes but you have to put them out there. If they have the qualities we believe they have we have a Toews/Kane tandem for years to come. They'll be bumps along the way but you live with them and go forward as fast as you can.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:30 PM
PFL615

I can't wait to see if FF puts on more size and how much he improves after playing at the end last year and with a full camp. Kid is mature already but another summer under his belt and NHL workouts.. Interesting#!

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Yet other guys have done just that. If you have the horses you play them. If we land a guy like Barkov you put him in there. Same with Forsberg. We're not getting these kids to play bottom 6, these are top 6 talents and that's where they need to be. That's also why you have vets that help them through the transition. It's rough sometimes but you have to put them out there. If they have the qualities we believe they have we have a Toews/Kane tandem for years to come. They'll be bumps along the way but you live with them and go forward as fast as you can.
I'm trying to find an 18 year old center that played 20 minutes a game his draft year.

Toews didn't, Tavares didn't, Stamkos didn't, Getzlaf didn't. I'm trying to think of someone that did and I'm drawing a blank. Can you tell me who has?

Let's be realistic, if it does happen it's on a team with no center depth, we have centers, good centers, just not good scoring line centers.

I'm with you, I want Barkov or Lindholm here, I want them playing big pp minutes, but it's unrealistic to expect either of them to play 20 minutes a night, as 18 year olds in their first year on NHL ice.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

After years of being a Thrashers fan, I'm just skiddish (sp?) about plugging in guys right out of the draft not named Crosby and Stamkos. Bogosian is just now starting to come around (though has been getting injured lately) and Burmistrov at one time had so much promise. Why on earth do you start a 170 lb. #8 pick right out of the draft? Even Kane arguably needed an extra year or two extra with Vancouver before hitting the big time. Personally, I have no problem with Barkov or whoever spending another year in the juniors.

Edit: Though in no way would I ever compare the Preds system to anything Thrashers.

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 05-17-2013 at 07:23 AM.
AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:40 AM
token grinder

If we draft Barkov, the best thing to do with him and Forsberg is put them on a line, and I hesitate to call it a 4th line with it's connotation here, but a 4th line that you put out in enviable situations. Give themm PP time, offensive zone faceoffs, late game situations when you need a bit more offense and a maybe a few extra shifts at home when you can control the matchup a little better. Forcing kids to play 17+ minutes a night will have us in the lottery again, ala Edmonton. It does not work.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If we draft Barkov, the best thing to do with him and Forsberg is put them on a line, and I hesitate to call it a 4th line with it's connotation here, but a 4th line that you put out in enviable situations. Give themm PP time, offensive zone faceoffs, late game situations when you need a bit more offense and a maybe a few extra shifts at home when you can control the matchup a little better. Forcing kids to play 17+ minutes a night will have us in the lottery again, ala Edmonton. It does not work.
Completely agree.

Protect their es minutes and give them reasonable pp time.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
thomast

The thing is that Barkov is very ready and gifted player defensively for his age. We are talking about kid who played in a shutdown role in WJC team as 16 year old putting 4points in 7 games without any PP time. We are talking about kid who was one of the best two-way players in entire FEL as 17 year old. He had 3rd best +/- for fowards in entire league, Top 10 in goals scored, top 10 in points scored, top 5 in faceoff%(he was 3rd in first half of the season not sure where he ended up), Top 10 in TOI for fowards in entire league, 8 minutes of penalties in entire season, it's not statistic in FEL but Barkov leads by far in takeaways for all players in FEL(no one is near as good as him in takeaways in FEL). Plays in first PK unit for his team and in all situation. Was used in all situation in FEL as 16 year old leading his team with +5 when other players averaged about -8. He was the only + player who played majority of the season with the team.

Mostly when young players are cracking to the team we are thinking about rookie mistakes, learning processes, sacrificing for player developement but Barkov is very ready player already posessing special combination of physical and mental majurity for his age. He looked like experienced vet at the playoffs when he had 5points in 5games before he got injured and he was best player in the series and led the series in points. I would play Barkov in all situations because if not it is waste of his defensive talent. We all know about his offensive upside and high-end skillset but most of posters outside of finland doesen't realise that Barkov is elite defensively for his age. He is a player who might be perennial selke competitor. That 1st line C who plays in every situation and contributes offensively like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron etc.. They all are 1st line C of last 3 SC champion teams. I think that Barkov has great potential to become as valuable player as them for his team which drafts him.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It's not just about defensive play or size. It's about letting an 18 year old adjust to the speed of the game, the physical play of the game, an 82 game schedule, a smaller rink, 1000's of miles from home.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
maplepred

Quote:
It's not just about defensive play or size. It's about letting an 18 year old adjust to the speed of the game, the physical play of the game, an 82 game schedule, a smaller rink, 1000's of miles from home.
Exactly!
If he is brought in and expected to be a top player right away as an 18 year old that is too much pressure on him, I have no doubt he is amazing in every aspect of the game as well and I drool every time I read about him or watch him play, but why rush the kid?! He has twenty years to destroy the NHL and win some cups with us!!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think our most pressing need is still on the blueline. I love Josi and Klein both but what happens if Weber goes down? He's a physical blueliner, injuries are part of that role.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

What about OKT?

It would be nice to have a solid #4 defenseman added this summer.

05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What about OKT?

It would be nice to have a solid #4 defenseman added this summer.
well yeah, can't believe I forgot him....

Old
05-17-2013, 06:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

All these ridiculous trade proposals for Weber and the 4th overall pick have drove me nuts. I'm going to start telling them there all fantastic trade proposals.

Or maybe I'll wait until this last infraction expires.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:42 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
All these ridiculous trade proposals for Weber and the 4th overall pick have drove me nuts. I'm going to start telling them there all fantastic trade proposals.

I have been tempted to make a Weber trade thread proposal but don't want to do all the work. Go through very team and think what we should get from them for Weber in a trade and post it with the premise of if you can't make a proposal like any of these don't bother.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

They are all "fantastic" proposals!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:29 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I find it refreshing to have asinine pick trades now instead of constant Weber headbashing

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
They are all "fantastic" proposals!!!
cyanide, 1,000 cuts, bullet to the brain or noose ... choose it

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:38 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok so Burmistrov wants out of WPG, can't adapt to WPG's North South style of game.....

Any interest?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, he's got a lot of talent.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Predsrule

Wpg will prob want more then we would be willing to give up. They have good depth on d and that is the only real spot we can over offer.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:15 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'd love to land Burmi, but not pay much. While he has upside, he's had three seasons now and hasn't shown much (statistically).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:18 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'd love to land Burmi, but not pay much. While he has upside, he's had three seasons now and hasn't shown much (statistically).
Sounds like Blum!
Maybe jets could like the Canadian prospect Ellis?!?!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote