HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
  #176
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,504
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post



I would crap my brain.
so would I and I wouldnt endorse the move either. Just trying to make a point about this whole Vezina nomination argument

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:16 PM
  #177
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
GTD just laid out, point by point, why what Bob did in his time in Philly is rare and something special...something that showed amazing potential for the future, especially considering his circumstances...and your rebuttal is basically "nah, that's no big deal."
I thought I responded in a fair manner. I'm not really sure how else I could have responded. His argument basically is Bob was young, had raw talent, no coaching and was able to succeed, thus he had amazing potential. I said that I didn't see it that way for the reasons discussed above. Couldn't I say that GTD's rebuttal to my argument is basically, "nah, it is a big deal." (I'm not saying that, but I think it would be the same thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Look no further than me. I did think Bryz was going to struggle here (and I was not alone btw). I also thought Bob was going to be better than Bryzgalov in less than a season's time at the point when the trade to get Bryz was made, and I said as much. The rest of the assertions you make above are more or less true, which make the trade look at least defensible. My basic point however is that it was a foresee-ably bad idea to get Bryz.
Well then it looks like you were right. I certainly didn't see it coming, and I think the majority was in the same corner. IIRC, the people who didn't like it were not upset about Bryz getting signed because he was going to suck. It was his contract, the fact that they wanted a different goalie, or the fact they wanted to stick with Bob.

Quote:
The Flyers didn't foresee it, and that's an issue for me. Not because it's not okay to occasionally guess wrong on how a situation or player will turn out (as I said before time makes fools of us all). This wasn't one of those situations though. Bob had already shown you everything you needed to see to know that he wasn't going to be that headcase that couldn't put it all together. Combined with physical talent he was also showing, they should've known better than to ever let him go.

It's their job to see this ****. Many of us saw it easily even from a distance. And I understand that you didn't see amazing potential there (and apparently you still disagree about whether or not it was there to see). Here's the thing though, whether or not you saw amazing potential is one thing, whether or not it was there is pretty much closed to debate given how much ass he kicked this year. The proof is in the pudding, and the evidence of this past season isn't on your side my friend.
Yeah with hindsight the evidence is not on my side. Clearly with the benefit of hindsight the move has not worked. But again, at the time I think it was the safest bet. You can talk all the amazing potential in the world that you saw and a couple other posters on here saw apparently, but as you said, the proof was in the pudding. Bryz was a recent Vezina nominee and Bob was a guy who played well for most of 60 games. I know I keep saying this but I think it is a good analogy, they took the bird in hand rather than the two in the bush.

Quote:
MacKinnon and Stamkos played in juniors. You say later in this post that the KHL is probably the second best hockey league in the world. Bob played in the KHL...with no coaching. He also played on the worst team in the KHL, a league with for less parity than the NHL, and was top ten in save percentage for goalies the year before he signed here. He was a pretty damn good.

Also, I don't really see how killing it in juniors can be amazing, but playing well for a full 60 game stretch in the NHL isn't even impressive. That makes no sense. To reference your example, Stamkos' first 60 games in the NHL weren't amazing.
I think you are misunderstanding the argument I made. I wasn't saying that he didn't have potential because he played in the KHL or something like that. I was saying that I don't think your reliance on the fact that he had no "formal goalie training" in his career doesn't really hold the weight when the guy has been a professional in the second best league in the world for 4 years prior to coming to the NHL. If he was 17 and playing with no training and he came over after the draft and made the NHL, then that argument would be a lot weightier. But at age 21 (or was he 22 when he got here?) after playing against some of the best players in the world for four years, I just don't see the lack of "formal goalie training" as something to hang your hat on in this context.

Quote:
So if I follow your argument here, experience against KHL competition is more or less the same as formal training, and thus I am wrong to bring it up as something that suggested Bob still had a much higher ceiling than what we'd seen?
Pretty much.

Quote:
That's silly, and if it were the case he would not have brought all of the technical flaws into the NHL that he did. He succeeded in the KHL the same way he succeeded here, on athleticism.

Spending four years relying on your athleticism doesn't teach you how to be a good technical goaltender. It teaches you have to rely on your athleticism. So if anything the fact that he'd been playing for so long, developing certain habits, actually strengthens my argument that his lack of a technical foundation was a very big issue. An issue that, once resolved, would allow him to be one of the better goalies in the league. Again, the proof is in the pudding here.
That actually makes and I see where you are coming from. But again, it doesn't really change anything. He's doing it for four years at the pro level against some of the best players in the world. I understand what you are saying about technical flaws and such, but if you are playing there for years, you may have some technical flaws, but you know what you are doing. You are learning through experience. It may not be what Jeff Reese is saying, but you are learning. It's not like he played those years over there and was just flailing around like Dominik Hasek in a crazy scrum. Someone scores on you, you adjust, etc. Like anyone doing anything without formal training. And I do see what you are talking about in saying that makes his potential higher, and that may be the case, but again, I wouldn't couch it as amazing. Like I said earlier, MacKinnon, Stamkos, etc have (had) amazing potential. When you say amazing you are talking about someone being amazing. I know that you say you saw this coming, but you are in the minority. For the most part, unless I am completely forgetting something or missed something, no one was saying, "there goes Bob, he's going to win a Vezina or two" when this whole ordeal started.

Quote:
Fair enough. If you proceed from the premise that Bryzgalov looked like a far safer bet at the time (which was an understandable opinion to have held), then you can argue that it wasn't a trade made out of impatience. I have a hard time getting there however, because when I look at what the two goalies bring to the table (and indeed this was my opinion at the time of the trade as well), the only thing Bryz had on Bob was that he'd already established himself a bit more (although a full season as a starter is establishing yourself in my book).

But if you don't agree that Bryz looked like a safer bet, rather if you share my appraisal of each goalie's abilities (an the Flyers may well have not) then the only advantage to trading for Bryz is that he is already developed into what he will be, i.e. you don't have to wait for him. Even that I find a little silly because I thought the gap between the two was not that big back then, and Bob only had room to grow.
Fair enough. I think we have fleshed this out to the maximum (both now and in the past with other posters). I just wanted to respond and not leave the argument out there hanging.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:53 AM
  #178
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Fair enough. I think we have fleshed this out to the maximum (both now and in the past with other posters). I just wanted to respond and not leave the argument out there hanging.
Agreed. Good debate.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
  #179
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Blue Jackets.....

Answer: BIG FAT RAISE!


Quote:
The Blue Jackets and goalie Sergei Bobrovsky contract talks have stalled.

“We’ve talked. We’ve exchanged ideas,” general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said this week. “But we haven’t made any progress, really. It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”

The RFA will be looking for a nice raise from this $1.7 million he made last year. The Blue Jackets will send him a qualifying offer, but he’ll reject it. Bobrovsky could get an offer sheet, with the Blue Jackets having seven days to match.

“That’s something we can’t control,” Kekalainen said. “It’s obvious what we’re going to do if it goes that far. We have great ownership; committed ownership. We would match any offer there might be, but I’m optimistic we won’t get to that point.”


http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...bobrovsky.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
  #180
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Blue Jackets.....

Answer: BIG FAT RAISE!
There is an info on Sports.ru that SKA St. Petersbourg (the team he played during lockout) is making him a huge offer, however he wants to stay in NHL.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:18 PM
  #181
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,913
vCash: 156
It'll be interesting to see if his work ethic diminishes after getting his payday.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
  #182
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
There is an info on Sports.ru that SKA St. Petersbourg (the team he played during lockout) is making him a huge offer, however he wants to stay in NHL.
wow can you imagine if the KHL steals a top NHL star of the future..

that would be a huge WIN for them..

hopefully Bobo stays in the NHL, as i dont watch/follow the KHL and i'd be sad to see him go.

either way im happy all his hard work and grit is seeing hime throu to a big payday.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
  #183
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It'll be interesting to see if his work ethic diminishes after getting his payday.
I truly hope not.

I think Flyers dealt a goalie equivalent of Datsyuk away.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:15 PM
  #184
MP92
Catching flies
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Yeah I'd imagine he wants to stay in the NHL. Although if he decided not to I would lmao. The Flyers wouldn't have to deal with him for years to come.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:22 PM
  #185
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,929
vCash: 50
It'll certainly be interesting. Question: if Bob does end up signing with the KHL again, how does the trade look?

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  #186
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It'll certainly be interesting. Question: if Bob does end up signing with the KHL again, how does the trade look?
We got three draft picks out of it for a guy that went on to Russia before he could play us.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  #187
MP92
Catching flies
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It'll certainly be interesting. Question: if Bob does end up signing with the KHL again, how does the trade look?
A lot better for Holmgren. Not so much for Columbus. He at least got something for Bob while the Jackets would get nothing.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:58 PM
  #188
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It'll be interesting to see if his work ethic diminishes after getting his payday.
I'm quite certain that Bob has more integrity and character than Bryz, Leighton and Boosh combined. He isn't going to the KHL and banish himself. He'll get his raise and raise his game even more..haunting us next year in the conference.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
  #189
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,913
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm quite certain that Bob has more integrity and character than Bryz, Leighton and Boosh combined. He isn't going to the KHL and banish himself. He'll get his raise and raise his game even more..haunting us next year in the conference.
That's basically the worst case scenario for a former Flyers goalie, with our ongoing crease crisis. So, it's probably what will happen.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
  #190
MP92
Catching flies
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'm quite certain that Bob has more integrity and character than Bryz, Leighton and Boosh combined. He isn't going to the KHL and banish himself. He'll get his raise and raise his game even more..haunting us next year in the conference.
Bryz and Leighton, sure. I don't think Boosh belongs in that sentence though.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
  #191
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Wow, I can't even imagine the blue jackets losing Bob! That would be crippling to their franchise, they better sign him, haha.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 03:27 PM
  #192
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Wow, I can't even imagine the blue jackets losing Bob! That would be crippling to their franchise, they better sign him, haha.
Anyone know the transfer rules with RFAs? UFAs obvious have unfettered discretion to go wherever they want, but I would imagine that RFAs would be under some restrictions about going to a different league since the KHL couldn't compensate CBJ with picks.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:34 PM
  #193
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,001
vCash: 500
Bob seems like a guy who wants to play at the highest level so I see him staying here but I wonder what happened to his girl friend. I remember she initially didn't get a visa so he could only see her when he was in Canada.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:49 PM
  #194
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone know the transfer rules with RFAs? UFAs obvious have unfettered discretion to go wherever they want, but I would imagine that RFAs would be under some restrictions about going to a different league since the KHL couldn't compensate CBJ with picks.
I believe all free agents are free game when it comes to the KHL and NHL.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:57 PM
  #195
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
Bob seems like a guy who wants to play at the highest level so I see him staying here but I wonder what happened to his girl friend. I remember she initially didn't get a visa so he could only see her when he was in Canada.
I believe they ended up getting married.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:02 PM
  #196
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I believe all free agents are free game when it comes to the KHL and NHL.
Most recent big name example I can think of would be Radulov.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:53 AM
  #197
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Most recent big name example I can think of would be Radulov.
Wasn't Radulov still under contract when he went to the KHL? I know UFAs obviously can go wherever they want, but I would imagine there has to be some sort of restriction with RFAs going to another league.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:58 AM
  #198
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 500
There's no rules preventing RFA's from leaving to another league. As long as his deal is up he's free game regardless if he's a RFA or UFA.

Ryan O'Reilly was a RFA and signed with a KHL team this past summer.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  #199
DecadesofFutility
Registered User
 
DecadesofFutility's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
If Bobrovsky wins the Vezina.
It would mean conclusively that Holmgren has failed as GM.
He would need to be fired and replaced with someone who has a clue how to build a hockey club.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:32 PM
  #200
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It'll be interesting to see if his work ethic diminishes after getting his payday.
"But I also remember one particular moment. Someone once compared Sergei to Vladislav Tretyak and he was a little upset and very quick in responding that 'I'm not Tretyak, I'm Bobrovsky'."

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ng-way-already


I don't think he will stop working to be the best - as he quickly points out he wants to be the best and carve out his on 'legend'.

We (Flyers) messed this one up - gut feeling.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.