HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Increasing Skating Speed / Endurance

Old
09-30-2006, 10:18 PM
2x4*

vCash: 500
Increasing Skating Speed / Endurance

Going to be hitting the weight room at school every other day, what are a few key work outs to increase skating speed and endurance.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 11:52 PM
MikeD

eliptical machine, leg press and the rest wont be found in a weight room. Why does everyone assume speed is gained by strength alone? Technique improvement, foot movments and placement improvement with ladder and agility drills are MUCH more beneficial than anything found in a weight room. Strength is desired? LUNGE WALK....want more than that...do WEIGHTED LUNGE WALKING.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I wouldnt focus as much as lifting as I would cardio. Squats and lunges are great.

Pylo's are the key.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:35 AM
MikeD

any one ever get a chance to use the "RUSSION BOX"? it does look like a great tool for building strength, coordination and explosiveness. Two inward cantered platforms where the skater leaps laterally from one to the other.

Endurance is targeted with aerobic and anaerobics. Substantial increases in VO2max can be achieved, suprisingly, with anaerobic drills.

Old
10-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Orthodox Caveman

elliptical machine is great for leg speed/endurance.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:15 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel48Briere View Post
Going to be hitting the weight room at school every other day, what are a few key work outs to increase skating speed and endurance.
Sprints. Came highly recommended to me by a WHL Captain. (Good player, to boot)
Sprint 1 minute, take a minute break. Repeat.

Also work on your techinique. The fastest skater I know is a former National junior Figure Skating Champ who teaches powerskating. Only 5-8, he is an amazingly efficient skater who can do amazing things with his edges.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
2x4*

That russian box... any ideas for doing this at home?
I would probably just build my own out of wood later on, but until then, do you think just leaping from side to side on the ground like one would on the russian box would be effective?

Old
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
eliptical machine, leg press and the rest wont be found in a weight room. Why does everyone assume speed is gained by strength alone? Technique improvement, foot movments and placement improvement with ladder and agility drills are MUCH more beneficial than anything found in a weight room. Strength is desired? LUNGE WALK....want more than that...do WEIGHTED LUNGE WALKING.
I don't need to go the gym as I have or create everything I need. I will soon start plyometrics. I'm planning on doing my 30-minutes mix of running and sprinting on one day, and doing plyometrics on the other day. If it's too much, then I'll reduce the time.

Hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 04:26 PM
MikeD

the russian box looks like it is an easy to build item. Google it for a picture and desription. its dry land Plyoi equivalent would be low hurdles that you leap over from side to side.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:43 PM
2x4*

One question about the dry land option. How many reps and sets do you think would be a good amount for a days work? Also I am guessing adding leg weights would increase the effectivness of the exercise.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
its dry land Plyoi equivalent would be low hurdles that you leap over from side to side.
Not sure if this is what MikeD means but I've seen video of pro hockey players using a 2ft high cube. It's used to build explosive power in your legs. Stand with your left foot on the ground, left leg straight and right foot on the center of the cube, right knee bent. Your right (bent) leg drives you upward so that your left foot can step in the center of the cube. You then step your right foot down on the ground. Repeat the process, now driving upward with your left leg. 1-2-3. If you're not used to it, you'll get winded pretty quickly. And make sure you're driving your bent leg to full extension.

If you're not familiar with Power Skating do as much reading on it as possible. You'll get a lot more power and speed in your skating if your front leg is bent at a near-90 degree angle. Your rear foot bites into the ice and you push hard until that back leg is straight. This is why everybody's talking about lunges and such for training. Personally, I don't see much good in using an eliptical for hockey training. Good way to burn calories but the strides are very short. IMO you'll find much more benefit from the stairmaster where machines are concerned. Weather permitting, running outdoors will be the best thing for building your endurance. If you're not used to running, there are some great articles at runnersworld.com. Look for hills and interval training to get started.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 05:08 PM
2x4*

Stairs anygood?

Could try running the stairs at the UB stadium (Mike D knows what the UB stadium is I think)

Old
10-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Stairs anygood?

Could try running the stairs at the UB stadium (Mike D knows what the UB stadium is I think)
Not a bad idea. I used to do stair climbing. I climbed about 150 floors a day. It took an hour each time. I used the elevators to come back down. I'd prefer this activity to running outside during Winter. I've heard about guys who got problems exercising in the cold. I don't want that!

Old
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
MikeD

Sure do know the stadium there. I have sat and watched the football team get their *** handed to them many many times....lol

Def a good work out.

Did you not download the year yound fitness program i linked for you in another post? It gives you example drills, routines and outlines for all aspects in a year round program. Put in two links. one for Midget age and the other for a pro/collegiate level program.

Old
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Did you not download the year yound fitness program i linked for you in another post?
Not yet. I'm always slow to try something new. But eventually, I'll try.

Old
10-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
definitely. Doing sprints on and off for 20 minutes is a better workout for you than going for an hour+ long jog.
WOW! For 20 minutes? If I can do that for 5 minutes, that'll be great!

Old
10-02-2006, 12:30 AM
2x4*

Well I can skate with the adult leaguers just fine. 6 goals, 1 assist 13 shots, +4 in 2 games
The again I am not hauling around a beer belly like 1/2 the guys there.

Try outs are in about 20 days or so.
Ill just keep hitting the ice a few times a week, and do some other stuff in between. Everyday I go out I find that I can skate faster, harder and longer each time.

Yea MikeD i downloaded them, they were kind of confusing lol.

Old
10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Hockeylover

Congratulations, Daniel!!!

I just did two 200m sprints (three minutes apart), and it hurt. Funny that after a 3km jog, I could do three or four. I guess the jog was good at warming up my legs.

Old
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
mac-sniper

who are you trying out for?

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
who are you trying out for?
Highschool team.
Williamsville North Varsity. Either Federation or club team.

Old
10-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
There are no short cuts to become a great skater, you must have really solid thighs (remember that this is almost the only muscle group that you must build up in a gym), ankle and stomach muscles.

If I where to set up a skating program for a kid today, I would pretty much only focus on straight ahead speed off the ice, and built the rest on the ice.

There is a secret for a hockeyplayer to become a good skater, don't do to much in the gym. There is a two-step program that beats the most complex programs.

1. I would highly recommend you to do allot of leg press, don't know the exact term in eng., but standing up with the bar on your back, go deep (beyond "90") and press up. Remember to go deep! Don't just go 8*6 at 80% for two month. There are great programs out their with up to 20 sets per session. If you want I can search for one I used, it where 16 sessions, from 8 to 20 sets per session. Really good. The optimal hockey player would be built like a marathon runner, but have thighs like Ronnie Coleman. Don't go the beach 2007 route if you are serious to becom a good hockeyplayer...

2. Find a hill, run up for the hill pulling a weight tied to your waist behind you. This exercise is to skating what E=MC2 where for physics. It works, ask Pavel Bure and Marian Hossa. The motion running normaly up for a hill dragging a weight is pretty simular to a good skating motion. The biggest advantage are that all the muscles you need to skate in thie exercise works together, I can't stress enough how important that are.

(3.) Don't cheat with the situps, no shortcuts here. I am not including situps in my off the ice program, any coach who don't include a 20 minute stomach session after a practise on the ice don't deserve a job!

Quote:
any one ever get a chance to use the "RUSSION BOX"? it does look like a great tool for building strength, coordination and explosiveness. Two inward cantered platforms where the skater leaps laterally from one to the other.

Endurance is targeted with aerobic and anaerobics. Substantial increases in VO2max can be achieved, suprisingly, with anaerobic drills.
Yeah, had a off ice coach who where a big fan or Peter Twist, who wrote a book together with Pavel Bure.

Not the biggest fan of it, though I am 6'3 and we only used one size. Its probably a good to build cordination.

Last edited by Ola: 10-03-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
MikeD

Quote:

Yea MikeD i downloaded them, they were kind of confusing lol.
Good...now you havea grasp at how much you need to educate yourself. That training program is dumbed down for hte intermediate. Then again, us goalies are generally a notch or two above in brain cell count over you out players

Old
10-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Hockeylover

There is something that will help me in increasing speed: Losing weight. In the last few weeks, I have been eating chocolate bar after chocolate bar and a lot of bread with jam on it. I have finally stopped this craziness. Tomorrow I'm starting a more sensful diet. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, meat will make up for 80% of my food intake. And lots of water.

For your information, I'm 5'8 and 187 pounds. Most of the fat is in the belly! I'm considering liposuction.

Old
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Dry land....great!

Quote:
One question about the dry land option. How many reps and sets do you think would be a good amount for a days work? Also I am guessing adding leg weights would increase the effectivness of the exercise.
Daniel,

I have a dry land portion what I use for my team. We do dryland twice a week at 5:20 AM before we jump on the ice at 6:00 AM

Here is a sample of our dry land portion that we do on ice.
Sample

If you would like to get the dryland portion, let me know via PM and maybe we can work something out.

Head coach
http://www.passthepuck.net

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:13 PM
hockeyjoe_16

I got this one from a football linemen, but the best thing I've found to build leg drive is car pushing. Just don't do it alone. It's a little hard to explain having your own car back over you lol. It's sounds strange but it's a very good leg workout.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote