HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek: Do you buy him out or someone else?

Old
05-17-2013, 08:35 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Mike Komisarek: Do you buy him out or someone else?

I think a lot of people are assuming that Mike Komisarek is most likely to be given one of the two amensty buyouts Toronto will have. He was a healthy scratch for a lot of games and eventually placed on waivers, then sent down to the Toronto Marlies. However after next season he is going to be a UFA, so do you think Dave Nonis wants to waste one of his two buyouts on him given his contract status and might choose to use them on players with longer term contracts?

Last edited by ULF_55: 05-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.
MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:40 PM
unitedstars

Not worth wasting and I still think he fits Carlye's system well as the 6th man and second unit pk

unitedstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:42 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Buy out Grabo instead ?
hopefully one of the two gets dealt, the other bought out

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

4.5 cap hit, 3.5 salary.

Move him to a team that needs to reach the floor.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Of course. He is not good enough to play for us and no team will take his salary or his cap hit when they can have him for minimum when he is bought out.

They should buy out Liles as well unless they can find someone to take his contract.

Grabovski is a good player and I think they should hold on to him. Sure the contract isn't that great but he is a #2 center with a 2-way game who is a hell lot better than he played this season. Give him some good offensive linemates instead of McClement/Komarov and his production should go up too. Not using him in an extreme shutdown role would probably help too.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Dump him or buy him out.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Might be a dumb question, but if we don't use our buyout.... do we get to hold onto it to use whenever we'd like? If so, I don't think buying out Komisarek is really a pressing need right now.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:28 PM
agropop

Really depends on how aggressively they intend to spend in the offseason. One would signal the other I suppose. Otherwise, there's little sense in using them altogether... We've been given a couple fire extinguishers, but there's no fire.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Jerkini

The fact that players like Jessie Blacker and Korbinian Holzer were called up to sit in the press box for the playoffs tells you everything you need to know about Komisarek's future with the team.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Might be a dumb question, but if we don't use our buyout.... do we get to hold onto it to use whenever we'd like? If so, I don't think buying out Komisarek is really a pressing need right now.
Can use it as late as next summer.(2014)

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Roo

didnt he already waive his NMC to go down? If so, why bother? Its only MLSE money, so if the're OK to spend it, then I would use the two buyouts on other contracts.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Rob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
didnt he already waive his NMC to go down? If so, why bother? Its only MLSE money, so if the're OK to spend it, then I would use the two buyouts on other contracts.
Because having a 4.5 million cap hit can potentially affect signings this summer I would think,

Rob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Leafs can use a compliance buyout on two contracts. They can only use the comp buyouts this June 2013 or next June 2014. The only opportunity to comp buyout Komi will be this June 2013 before the FA period which starts this year on July 5th. So the decision to use one of the buyouts on Komi will depend on whether Nonis projects he will need the cap space ($4.5M) gained to sign FA's for the coming season. Nonis will not be able to check out the market in free agency and then decide afterwards to buyout Komi.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:10 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
His cap still affects the Leafs now even if he's in the AHL.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Of course. He is not good enough to play for us and no team will take his salary or his cap hit when they can have him for minimum when he is bought out.

They should buy out Liles as well unless they can find someone to take his contract.

Grabovski is a good player and I think they should hold on to him. Sure the contract isn't that great but he is a #2 center with a 2-way game who is a hell lot better than he played this season. Give him some good offensive linemates instead of McClement/Komarov and his production should go up too. Not using him in an extreme shutdown role would probably help too.
Good post. My thoughts as well.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
garce

I suspect, but don't know of course, a deal has already been struck. Komi continues to good soldier next season and stays with the Marlies. The Leafs try to move him but failing that he has a future in the organization. No buyout necessary.

garce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:59 AM
kihei

vCash: 3202
Grabo's trade value went up in the playoffs. We should take advantage of that fact.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Conan

i still believe komo can bounce back....

Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Kb21

with 1 year left no point in wasting it. just let him be the 7th man or see if a team like the isles want his cap hit.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Why wouldn't you buy out Komisarek? He's not going to regain his old form(because the old Komisarek is a myth that was spread by Hab fans claiming they had a stud at the time), He's probably not going to remake the team, and no one would blow 3.6 million in cap space on the farm team, so what do you do? Buy him out

Lobstertainment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
There is no point in buying him out and using cap space on him. We've dealt with this situation for a few years now, it's in the team's best interest to let it ride out or move him somewhere because he's already agreed once to be moved so it's not like he's going to stand in the way of anything.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
Why wouldn't you buy out Komisarek? He's not going to regain his old form(because the old Komisarek is a myth that was spread by Hab fans claiming they had a stud at the time), He's probably not going to remake the team, and no one would blow 3.6 million in cap space on the farm team, so what do you do? Buy him out
Why would you buy him out?? Who cares how much salary is on our farm team. He has 1 year remaining, why pay him for 2 years when you can pay him for one as he plays on the Marlies, it doesn't affect the Leafs at all.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:08 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Why would you buy him out?? Who cares how much salary is on our farm team. He has 1 year remaining, why pay him for 2 years when you can pay him for one as he plays on the Marlies, it doesn't affect the Leafs at all.
Even if you bury players in the minors their cap hit remains with the team outside of about 900 000 .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:17 AM
The Big D

I'm not sure the $4.5 (or $3.6 if in the minors makes or breaks the leafs cap space this summer. There is only one year left on the deal & ideally you use the compliance buyouts on guys with term.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:36 AM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
I'm not sure the $4.5 (or $3.6 if in the minors makes or breaks the leafs cap space this summer. There is only one year left on the deal & ideally you use the compliance buyouts on guys with term.
Exactly. It's an entertaining thought to rid that amount for a defensive defenceman who has had problems returning to the lineup...

I thought he was performing well enough to stay in earlier on. A pity. Flipping him was the ideal scenario.

Long Island's a Hail Mary at this point.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote