HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
#PeskyPens

Old
05-17-2013, 07:05 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
#PeskyPens
I think you mean #PeskySens

Old
05-17-2013, 07:13 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Nice one Anderson.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
#ualberta

So who do the sens start in game 3
So do do the pens start in game 3

Old
05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
So who do the sens start in game 3
So do do the pens start in game 3
Lehner, I think. Anderson lost two games, so, it's Lehner's chance.

I think Vokoun keeps starting as long as they keep winning.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

Nah, you gotta continue with the guy that got you there. Sens wouldn't even be in the playoffs without Anderson. You start Anderson every game in the series in my book. Especially at home where you have a chance to win one.

I called Pens in 5 and sticking with that.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:41 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

It's a tough decision for the sens Replacement makes a good point above. And they might have Spezza back would they really not start Anderson

You are probably right on the pens but I will say Vokoun hasn't been much better then Fleury lately

This pens sens series has been my favorite in the second round so far

Old
05-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Soundwave

If I'm Ottawa I go back to Anderson. He is going to be tough to beat three consecutive times, play the odds and hope your home crowd gives you a boost.

Pittsburgh will stick with Vokoun until he costs them a game.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
It's a tough decision for the sens Replacement makes a good point above. And they might have Spezza back would they really not start Anderson

You are probably right on the pens but I will say Vokoun hasn't been much better then Fleury lately

This pens sens series has been my favorite in the second round so far
You can't have watched fleury in the islanders series.. how many did he let in from behind the net? 4? Shots that were missing the net entirely were going in.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:30 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The intent of the rule is to abate clear and conscious delay of game. The type of cynical play where a player just wanting to get off the ice and end play for any reason could just dump it over the boards even if he had time. Basically it was just get a linechange play.
Usually occurring when a tired line was out there and wanting a change.

The trouble is, as with many things, once a rule is developed theres a slippery slope that ends with what happend last night. Where a player, with no intent, and pressure, and who's stick was interfered with, and was being physically challenged at the moment ended up INADVERTENTLY dumping the puck slightly over the glass. Slightly.

There was no intent, none, it wasn't intent to delay game.

See how the spirit of the rule and application of the rule end up being different things?

I kind of like the rule. But I have zero faith in how NHL zebras define and apply it. Also, is the glass height exactly standardized in all NHL arenas.
The reason a rule like this is dumb to some is because most rules in the NHL fall into different categories. Puck over the glass is a technical penalty, as where open ice head shots are subjective (was it shoulder first, was the defending player vulnerable, did player leave his feet, was there intent, was there an injury, did player have past history, and so on).

The NHL has to follow one of the 2 paths to ever get any reasonable understanding from fans.

Perhaps will all these headshots x player who gave the shot is out of the game regardless of injury to the other player, just based on eliminating that type of play. I think the only way that they get removed is that these type of hits ABSOLUTELY have to go under review (much like a goal or not a goal) in that game.

I am probably one of the few that feels the war room is a better suited place to make these calls then Shanahan making that call in that moment, (I am not for eliminating shanny's job but lets make things less complicated). Watching afterward what happened changes interpretation, and also its antithetical to weigh everything on Shanny with the expectation he has to do something for a call being asked to review when maybe it doesn't merit a review or punishment yet your asking him to do so - While I can imagine at that same time Shanahan has seen piles of calls in the game not called that should be under review.

Its like two diametrically opposing positions on circumstances that have over taken the game. You want to be subjective yet your weighing in other factors like injury, and past history.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I think the delay of game penalty is great and works great personally.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:46 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I think the delay of game penalty is great and works great personally.
They should review it.

Remember when Peckham put the puck through the camera hole on the glass and they still called it a penalty?

Old
05-18-2013, 02:52 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Inspired performance by the Redwings, young and old today.

They simply out-played and out-classed the Hawks in today's game, out-shooting them in every period of the game - that's a rarity against a team that prides itself on puck-possession and out-shooting the opposition.

Detroit simply shut them down. Datsyuk did an amazing job of shutting down the Toews unit, and Zetterberg did the same for the large part against Kane's squad. Ericsson once again showing why he's Detroit's best all-around defenseman. Great plays against the top Hawks forwards, and a great Pronger-esque breakout pass to Franzen for his goal.

Chicago seemed to be a shadow of their normal selves today. And I personally hope DET pulls it out against them this series.

Babcock's press conference the other day was epic. Great poise and confidence in his team. He basically told everyone to "settle down" after DET got outshot 40-21 in Game 1, that his team is having ups and downs, and that he stays along the same line no matter what.

I'd scoffed originally at his comments, but how true they were! Great performance all around from the Red Wings.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Philly85
Moody'

That was a helluva press conference by Babcock yesterday, he is a cut above. Watched the entire game today, amazing execution and all round performance by Detroit. If Datsyuk hangs around next year when DET switches over to the EC, they should be able to steam roll over some teams, guaranteed playoff birth.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Toydarian

It doesn't bode well for CHI if Toews doesn't get a little bit of offense going.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:22 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It doesn't bode well for CHI if Toews doesn't get a little bit of offense going.
When he picks up the primary shut-down matchups, he always falters offensively. His saving grace is his ability to shut-down whoever he's matched up against. For example, Datsyuk has effectively shut him down in this series, just like Koivu did in the other one. It's Kane's magic that saves them. BTW I'm talking about even-strength production, not PP.

The other team's top shutdown unit is usually reserved for Kane's unit, and it's amazing that he's able to play through it and produce regardless. Keep in mind for a large portion of this season he didn't have Patrick Sharp on the wing. He was literally carrying that unit with Bolland/Stalberg or something of the like with him.

Toews doesn't necessarily need to produce in this series because he's got Kane on the other unit. DET is smart splitting up Dats/Z.

Datsyuk's unit will shut down the Toews unit at ES (this includes Hossa/Saad). But there's enough 2-way presence on that line that the unit of Abdelkader-Dats-Franzen will likely be shut down as well.

The key matchup in this series is the Zetterberg unit vs Kane's line. Kane-Bolland/Handzus-Sharp vs Filppula-Zetterberg-?Cleary.

Z severely outplayed that unit today, and for me that's why Detroit won.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Philly85
Moody'

shutdown centre shutting down a shutdown centre, I like it. In a matchup between Dats and Toews, I'll take 13 every time.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
shutdown centre shutting down a shutdown centre, I like it. In a matchup between Dats and Toews, I'll take 13 every time.
And he doesn't need Hossa to do it either. Hell, he's carrying a 3rd liner on that line.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
InjuredChoker

It was more of a Datsyuk against Kane line and Zetterberg against Toews line this game.

Z is better shadowman than Datsyuk, maybe the best in the league. Datsyuk is better in neutral and offensive zone, and picking people's pockets but not as good as just shutting one guy down. Z is better against north-south players like Toews, Dats is used against east-west players like Kane.

http://timeonice.com/default.html?Ga...0232&submit=Go

Old
05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
It was more of a Datsyuk against Kane line and Zetterberg against Toews line this game.

Z is better shadowman than Datsyuk, maybe the best in the league. Datsyuk is better in neutral and offensive zone, and picking people's pockets but not as good as just shutting one guy down. Z is better against north-south players like Toews, Dats is used against east-west players like Kane.

http://timeonice.com/default.html?Ga...0232&submit=Go
Interesting, they switched the matchups from Game 1 I guess. Whatever it is, it's working.

Toews has been a non-factor at ES with either Zetter/Dats on him, and Kane's game has really been shutdown by Dats in game 2.

You're right, given the people Dats/Z have drawn matchups against in past series/games:

Zetterberg - Crosby, Marleau, Kesler
Datsyuk - Malkin, Thornton, Sedin's

Old
05-18-2013, 06:32 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Interesting, they switched the matchups from Game 1 I guess. Whatever it is, it's working.

Toews has been a non-factor at ES with either Zetter/Dats on him, and Kane's game has really been shutdown by Dats in game 2.

You're right, given the people Dats/Z have drawn matchups against in past series/games:

Zetterberg - Crosby, Marleau, Kesler
Datsyuk - Malkin, Thornton, Sedin's
They did switch it, it was as you said in game 1.

Z has lost a step and can struggle a little with fast, agile guys like Kane. Dats loves playing against guys like that. Zetterberg likes to be little chippy and physical, as he was against Toews today.

I'd expect that matchup to stay the same, as the series enters Detroit.

But Hawks likely insert Stalberg on that third line for game 3, he's speed has been poison against Wings.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Fuhryous

For those who have a strong disdain for Jack Michaels...have a listen to the Sharks PBP radio announcer on KFOX if you are forced to listen to the game like I am tonight. He puts Michaels into Foster Hewitt territory.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Spawn

Kings are a frustrating team to watch. 1-1 in another dull grinding game... You just know they are probably going to get the next goal.

Boring zzz

Old
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
GreatKeith

The Kings are slowly ruining hockey. It's the dead puck era all over again.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:58 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Sharks win to make it a vague sort of series.

Closed Thread