HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 08:21 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I would take Ristolainen or Pulock over Zadorov and Nurse
I'm opposite except I don't mind Pulock. I like the size and physical play by Zadorov and Nurse. That size only adds more side to the defensive end.

Here is my list I'd be happy with any.

1. Zadorov
2. Monahan
3. Gauthier -unlikely
4. Nurse

Old
05-17-2013, 08:43 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Josh Morrissey has a similar style of play. I think the oilers should take him if he falls to se cond round or get another 1st round pick
Morrissey reminds me of a grittier and tougher Rielly.

Man what a opening Mem Cup game. How tough are the Avs going to be with Jones and Siemens? I know he was on for both goals but he is one mean sob. So far loving how he and Sutter are playing (though with Sutter and actually Siemens its to be expected).

Edit: maybe I spoke to soon regarding Siemens. Dumb penalty there

Last edited by doubledown99: 05-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Quick (possibly dumb), but how does Pulock's skillset compare to say Karlsson of the Sens? Do they play a similar game at all?
Think Jason Garrison with better offensive instincts

05-17-2013, 10:04 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

The thing that I guess seems obvious to me, and I know we talk about this every draft, is if the Oilers can grab another 1st around 15-22, you'd think we could get a C and a d-man.

Would something like MPS get you a first?

Old
05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
The thing that I guess seems obvious to me, and I know we talk about this every draft, is if the Oilers can grab another 1st around 15-22, you'd think we could get a C and a d-man.

He would, but I don't think it's a worthwhile move.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

As a Blades fan, boo Zadorov.

But as an Oilers fan, I would definitely be interested in him if we can get another first round pick.

Impressed with the Blades effort tonight, but turnovers cost 'em. Looking forward to seeing MacKinnon and Drouin live next game, though.

One Blade I wish the Oilers would've kicked the tires on was Josh Nicholls. Rangers just grabbed him, though.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

I don't know if its worth it necessarily. Grab the C with our 7th, and then use 37th on whatever dman falls (Morrissey, Bowey, etc) and then use Anaheim's (55th?) on Subban or Jarry

Old
05-17-2013, 10:37 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Just not sure if any of those d-men would be available with #37 (or alternatively one of the centers we want).

Old
05-17-2013, 10:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Just not sure if any of those d-men would be available with #37 (or alternatively one of the centers we want).
Someone always falls beyond where they should. We might not get "our guy", but we can probably get another high calibre dman if we're smart about it. We may only need to move up a couple spots, or not at all

Old
05-17-2013, 11:38 PM
puckfan13

Posted this in the Mem Cup thread on prospects board:

Don't know if I'm buying Zadorov in the top 15. Just got a bad feeling about him and transitioning to that lightning quick pro game, I don't like d-men that don't make instant plays when retrieving the puck. Might get pushback on this one but that's just my personal opinion.

Domi is a decent player. We'll see as the tourney goes on, should be interesting to keep tabs on. His dad is going to be in the middle of everything at the first sign of trouble/adversity in his pro career though (probably Hodgson's dad on steroids (literally)), but I have to think that Domi will play in the league. That low centre of gravity and exceptional core strength is key and one of the aspects that I believe will make his transition successful in due time. His quickness/explosiveness and nose for creating chances is terrific as well. Lots to be worked on like any prospect but I think he's the real deal. Wouldn't be mad with him inside the top 15.

Horvat is just terrific as always, I question the high-end offense if you're taking him top 10. I could see him exploding for points in the OHL next year because he's the kind of guy who will be able to figure out the league with his head and rack 'em up - but at the pro level we will see. I think he's so complete he almost cheats for defense a little. I'd like to see a real nasty side to him more but I just don't think that's his personality. His demeanour seems more Bergeron than Bolland or Kesler, he will be a very good 2C in this league for years though IMO - hockey sense and defensive awareness through the roof with this kid.

I absolutely love this tournament, it's one of my favorite hockey events of the year but have to admit this game was a snoozer. Had trouble focusing for the entire game, didn't watch in its entirety.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:42 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Think Jason Garrison with better offensive instincts
Jason Garrison is an exceptional defensive d-man. Maybe one of the most underrated in the area in the league, really is a poor man's Shea Weber even down to the beard and BC birthplace. Pulock's D is not there right now and I don't know if he has the sense for it to be. However, Pulock played a TON of minutes this year which might have affected his decision-making a bit with the fatigue factor. His upside to me is a less spastic James Wisniewski, which is quite a good player.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:44 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Josh Morrissey has a similar style of play. I think the oilers should take him if he falls to se cond round or get another 1st round pick
I would honestly take him in the top 10 and consider taking him with the 7th overall pick. He has Jake Gardiner clone written all over him. Breathtaking skater and calm decision-maker with the puck on his stick. That's good enough for a 7th overall for me, but opinions diverge quite a bit with this guy, I'm probably one of the most bullish on him on these boards.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:50 PM
nando2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I would honestly take him in the top 10 and consider taking him with the 7th overall pick. He has Jake Gardiner clone written all over him. Breathtaking skater and calm decision-maker with the puck on his stick. That's good enough for a 7th overall for me, but opinions diverge quite a bit with this guy, I'm probably one of the most bullish on him on these boards.
I agree with you 100%, but i think we could get him with a second first at around 15th overall. I would add that he has an awesome shot

Old
05-18-2013, 12:10 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Jason Garrison is an exceptional defensive d-man. Maybe one of the most underrated in the area in the league, really is a poor man's Shea Weber even down to the beard and BC birthplace. Pulock's D is not there right now and I don't know if he has the sense for it to be. However, Pulock played a TON of minutes this year which might have affected his decision-making a bit with the fatigue factor. His upside to me is a less spastic James Wisniewski, which is quite a good player.
I disagree. That's exactly why I compared him to a more offensive Garrison. To me, he reads the play extremely well, and will be more of a shutdown guy who can move the puck out of his zone well, and get PP time to unleash his bomb of a shot. I'm guessing he goes to TO. He'd be a good partner for Morgan Rielly

Old
05-18-2013, 12:21 AM
BarDownBobo

Just got back from the London/Stoon game, and I've gotta say I was surprised by Zadorov's game in a good way. Seemed to be jumping up in the rush fairly often, which I didn't expect. He was the most impressive player on the Knights IMO, but maybe that's because I was watching for him.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:30 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
I disagree. That's exactly why I compared him to a more offensive Garrison. To me, he reads the play extremely well, and will be more of a shutdown guy who can move the puck out of his zone well, and get PP time to unleash his bomb of a shot. I'm guessing he goes to TO. He'd be a good partner for Morgan Rielly
Maybe we just have a difference of opinion then. The game comes very easily on the defensive side to both Weber and Garrison, they just make calm, simple plays to advance the puck up the ice when they get it and never get too wrapped up in chasing the puck. Even when they play physical, the play comes to them. They let the defensive game come to them, it's hard to describe but Pulock is more frantic in that zone, he plays a more high event game which can be good for rushing the puck out of trouble or going for the stretch pass. I actually think Heatherington plays much more similar to Garrison than Pulock does.

One thing we can agree on though is that Pulock will play in the NHL and he will score goals on the power play regardless of how his defensive game progresses, it's that good. I've never seen a junior player shoot a puck harder before personally.

Last edited by puckfan13: 05-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 01:32 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
I agree with you 100%, but i think we could get him with a second first at around 15th overall. I would add that he has an awesome shot
I actually think his shot is something that could use improvement, it actually doesn't seem that hard at all but he seems to get it through to the net when he's at the top of the PP and it's accurate. Just not hard.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:00 AM
puckfan13

My personal list for CHL players goes

Jones
Drouin
MacKinnon
Monahan
Morrissey
Nurse
Horvat
Domi
Shinkaruk
Hartman
Pulock
Petan
Klimchuk
Erne
Subban
Lazar
Heatherington
Bowey

Didn't leave anybody out (includes Zadorov, Mantha, Theodore, Gauthier, Morin, etc.). These are the players I believe are worthy of first round selections. A little different than consensus but just my opinion.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:05 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Maybe we just have a difference of opinion then. The game comes very easily on the defensive side to both Weber and Garrison, they just make calm, simple plays to advance the puck up the ice when they get it and never get too wrapped up in chasing the puck. Even when they play physical, the play comes to them. They let the defensive game come to them, it's hard to describe but Pulock is more frantic in that zone, he plays a more high event game which can be good for rushing the puck out of trouble or going for the stretch pass. One thing we can agree on though is that Pulock will play in the NHL and he will score goals on the power play regardless of how his defensive game progresses, it's that good. I've never seen a junior player shoot a puck harder before personally.
We definitely do. That's exactly how I see Pulock's game. You watch a guy like Pouliot handle the puck, and it seems like he's trying to rush to make the play. Pulock was in over his head this year, but I still saw a calmness about his game that you just don't see from many young dmen. I think the franticness you see is more a result of how bad the team is

Old
05-18-2013, 02:11 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Petan's a guy I can see falling due to his small size and everyone wanting big guys. We don't need more small guys, but if he's on the board at 37, we HAVE to make an exception

Old
05-18-2013, 08:42 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Petan's a guy I can see falling due to his small size and everyone wanting big guys. We don't need more small guys, but if he's on the board at 37, we HAVE to make an exception
They won't. There have been plenty of smallish, skilled players the Oilers have passed on in recent drafts in favour of bigger players. I fully expect that trend to continue.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I think people are selling Zadarov short in this thread. Probably the same people who sold Kulikov short in 2010.

Zadarov appears to be Marincin but better in almost every facett at a younger age.

If you see problems with Zadarov, you must not be a big fan of Marincin.

If Monahan is not available at #7, I would like one of Nurse, Zadarov, or Ristolainen

Last edited by Valic: 05-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 09:19 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
They won't. There have been plenty of smallish, skilled players the Oilers have passed on in recent drafts in favour of bigger players. I fully expect that trend to continue.
None of which have scored like Petan though

Old
05-18-2013, 10:40 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
The Oilers are on record for saying that they really like Petan. I would have no problem taking him at 37. The kid constantly uses his frame to angle out big defencemen like Gernat. I first saw him do it in the top prospects game and thought it might have been a one time thing but he continues to do it every time I watch him. I don't think size will be an issue.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The Oilers are on record for saying that they really like Petan. I would have no problem taking him at 37. The kid constantly uses his frame to angle out big defencemen like Gernat. I first saw him do it in the top prospects game and thought it might have been a one time thing but he continues to do it every time I watch him. I don't think size will be an issue.
I agree. Some guys don't let their size affect them. He's one of them

Closed Thread