HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 03:57 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Care to share with us where all our players get their bad habits? Kostitsyn I guess? There was never any reason to why Eller was benched the 2nd game of the season. Pretty much the whole team deserved to be scratched after the 1st game against Toronto. He was wrongfully the scapegoat of MT.

Kostitsyn is as useful as a guy like Bourque in the playoffs. A good complementary player. As far as I remember, he's the only player to have scored a hat trick in the playoffs for us in a long time.

Ryder and Kostitsyn are nothing alike. Fact is Akost brings a lot more to the table than Ryder. Andrei's 2 way game has improved greatly during the past years and is respectable while Ryder's inexistent. Lets not even compare their physical game. Akost has shown how dominant he can be and can take games over by himself by creating his own chances while Ryder's success is more reliant to his teammates. Both players lack consistency but at least Akost can still be useful when he's not scoring.
I stopped reading as soon as I saw a comparison between Bourque and Kostitsyn. Bourque is by far a better defensive player. He's better at driving the net. He's better at handling the puck. And he's a far meaner player than Kostitsyn.

Kostitsyn is probably the most stupid player to ever don this jersey. I was HAPPY the day he left and I was one of those who thought this day should have come right after the 2010 playoffs when he scored in only one of the 19 games he played.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
SeriousHabs

Was hoping for roster discussions, found posts about Perezoghin, Kostitsyn and Latendresse. Sigh.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Was hoping for roster discussions, found posts about Perezoghin, Kostitsyn and Latendresse. Sigh.
Incredible. Especially the Kostitsyn part.

And I swear; Eller started playing JUST like Kostitsyn after being exposed to him, and it last a certain amount of time even after Kostitsyn left. Everything changed after his benching. It was that obvious. He became the physical monster we all thought he could become with consistency, and he was creating turnovers like no one else because he kept moving his feet.

Playing with a guy like Kostitsyn makes you develop very, VERY bad habbits, since the guy just plays all by himself... without even taking his linemates into account.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Did that guy just go from blaming Akost for almost ruining Eller to blaming Cunneyworth, or Martin for ruining his development ?

Or did I completely misunderstand him ?

Old
05-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Latendresse could be very good depth/reclamation move that will be very cheap... So don't have to do stupid things in other to fill-in for potential gaps.
No.

he's so slow he might not even make it here until is contract expires.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Habs Additions for 2013-14

Everyone name players they would like to see in Habs uniforms for next season, it can be via free agency or trade, just play with it a little.

My picks would be:

David Clarkson - UFA
Pascal Dupuis - UFA
Paul Stastny - trade

Don't crucify me too much for the Stastny addition, I am aware he has a 6.6 million cap hit for next year but only 1 year left on his contract. I mention him due to how he has played in the World Championships after finally being given the leadership role he does not have in Colorado. He also looked great next to Galchenyuk in their Quarter Final match-up against Russia.

I think these players would easily make us a contender.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:47 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

We need a way, way more versatile and complete/big defense to even start thinking about winning a playoffs round.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
elsubz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Did that guy just go from blaming Akost for almost ruining Eller to blaming Cunneyworth, or Martin for ruining his development ?

Or did I completely misunderstand him ?

I'm not sure either, I can understand someone not liking Akost but I'm simply flabbergasted at the amount of unreasonable hate this guy has for him Might Andrei Kostisyn be the main culprit of our 20 years stanley cup drought?

Old
05-17-2013, 05:03 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
No.

he's so slow he might not even make it here until is contract expires.
Hence why he's a spare part.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars0987 View Post
Everyone name players they would like to see in Habs uniforms for next season, it can be via free agency or trade, just play with it a little.

My picks would be:

David Clarkson - UFA
Pascal Dupuis - UFA
Paul Stastny - trade

Don't crucify me too much for the Stastny addition, I am aware he has a 6.6 million cap hit for next year but only 1 year left on his contract. I mention him due to how he has played in the World Championships after finally being given the leadership role he does not have in Colorado. He also looked great next to Galchenyuk in their Quarter Final match-up against Russia.

I think these players would easily make us a contender.
Don't care about us being a contender next year, embracing the rebuild.

Stewart-Trade
Demers-Trade
Matteau-Trade
Crosby-Hell freezing over

Old
05-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Habitant le colon

let's take it in a fantasy way (no real incidence only matter of off season talks)

Gorges + our 1st + Kristo : Stastny

Diaz and Leblanc : Chris Stewart

Sign Scuderi
Sign Torres

DD and Mayers : Clutterbuck

Bourque Plekanec Gallagher
Galchenyuk Stasny Stewart
Prust Eller Clutterbuck
Moen Halpern Torres
Dumont

Scuderi Subban
Markov Emelin
Tinordi Bouillon
Beaulieu Pateryn

Old
05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
let's take it in a fantasy way (no real incidence only matter of off season talks)

Gorges + our 1st + Kristo : Stastny

Diaz and Leblanc : Chris Stewart

Sign Scuderi
Sign Torres

DD and Mayers : Clutterbuck

Bourque Plekanec Gallagher
Galchenyuk Stasny Stewart
Prust Eller Clutterbuck
Moen Halpern Torres
Dumont

Scuderi Subban
Markov Emelin
Tinordi Bouillon
Beaulieu Pateryn

If only they were that dumb. Young power forward who led their team in scoring and is one of the better fighters in the league on top of that for Diaz and a potential bust prospect coming off a terrible year. I know Diaz started the year off good on the PP with Markov but c'mon. St Louis fans would laugh at that.

Old
05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
ClasslessGuy

How many methot/orpik type of D on the market this summer?

Old
05-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
How many methot/orpik type of D on the market this summer?
It seems like Ian Cole may be available. He may have a Methot/Orpik kind of career, if he pans out.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post

If only they were that dumb. Young power forward who led their team in scoring and is one of the better fighters in the league on top of that for Diaz and a potential bust prospect coming off a terrible year. I know Diaz started the year off good on the PP with Markov but c'mon. St Louis fans would laugh at that.
I used Fantasy wich mean to assume that is not realistic ... we are far from what we need to pry him out with this but I assume that we need him ... now how the hell can we get this roster without taking ELLER or another young good player for Stewart ?

Old
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
NLHabsFan

IF I was in position to actually have a say in the roster for next season, this is how I would see it going into the offseason with our current signed players.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - XXXXX
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Moen - XXXXX - Prust

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Tinordi - Gorges
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

Kaberle would be bought out, and Tinordi would be the rookie most likely to make the team.

White is an RFA and can/will be re-signed as one of the two extra forwards. The other extra forward would be a HW enforcer like McGrattan or Bordeleau. The two open roster spots I see are a top 6 RW and 4th line C. The RW should have size to balance that side with Gallagher and Gionta. The guy I would target, and maybe trade one of our 3rd round picks for his rights, is David Clarkson. For the 4th line C I would target Boyd Gordon. He's a RH shot which gives us something different from the top 3, he's also very good on the draw and a strong PKer. He doesn't need sheltered minutes, and would make our 4th line one of the better ones in the league.

Before those signings we have under 10 mil in cap space with the roster I have listed. Those four guys should cost under 7 mil in total. That leaves some room under the cap to make trades as I would really like to see the defence improved upon as I feel that is our weakest link of the roster. An upgrade on Moen would also be welcome but I believe he is better than he showed this past season.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
It seems like Ian Cole may be available. He may have a Methot/Orpik kind of career, if he pans out.
I used to think Cole had a high ceiling. I wouldn't be against taking a risk on him, could have a high reward. But I'm not sure I defence is balanced enough to take that chance right now.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
It's baffling really that these players are still revered by Habs fans on here.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:46 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Any chance MB is actually able to move Kaberle this summer?

Wonder if a team that's trying to reach the cap floor might bite on Kaberle, who IMO, can still be a useful player and he has 1 more year left on his deal. I don't usually put too much stock into teams acquiring players to reach the cap floor, but this one had me thinking if it might be possible at all.

I guess the likelyhood is very small...but if ever it were to happen, I wonder if that creates an opportunity to use that buyout on someone else?

Just thinking outloud...
I was wondering as well. Assume Montreal is not going to spend right to the cap ceiling next year. If you buy Kaberle out, team pays 2/3 (2.8MM) to just make him disappear. What about Kaberle (Habs pay 1.5MM) for, say, a 4th round pick. Team saves over a million in cash payout, gets a lotto ticket, maybe there's a team out there who would pay 2.75M for a year of Kaberle. And most importantly the Habs save that second buyout.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Incredible. Especially the Kostitsyn part.

And I swear; Eller started playing JUST like Kostitsyn after being exposed to him, and it last a certain amount of time even after Kostitsyn left. Everything changed after his benching. It was that obvious. He became the physical monster we all thought he could become with consistency, and he was creating turnovers like no one else because he kept moving his feet.

Playing with a guy like Kostitsyn makes you develop very, VERY bad habbits, since the guy just plays all by himself... without even taking his linemates into account.
Yea I don't want to see Eller near that guy. He would take the puck and circle and circle and circle.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know they're **** heads but signing one of Cooke or Torres would be fun to see against the Bruins
Torres is the crazy man that we need.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Torres is the crazy man that we need.

Seriously, I know we need a type of player like Torres. But not Torres himself. The guy is stupid. Even after his suspension of 25 games, a year later he finds a way to be AGAIN in trouble. I know the guy hits hard, I know he brings energy to his teammates and blablabla but for god's sake, he doesn't know how to hit properly. I don't want someone who targets the head and is dirty. Clarkson would be my first choice and Clowe my close second.

What a piece of **** on that one.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:31 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
IF I was in position to actually have a say in the roster for next season, this is how I would see it going into the offseason with our current signed players.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - XXXXX
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Moen - XXXXX - Prust

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Tinordi - Gorges
Bouillon

Price
Budaj

Kaberle would be bought out, and Tinordi would be the rookie most likely to make the team.

White is an RFA and can/will be re-signed as one of the two extra forwards. The other extra forward would be a HW enforcer like McGrattan or Bordeleau. The two open roster spots I see are a top 6 RW and 4th line C. The RW should have size to balance that side with Gallagher and Gionta. The guy I would target, and maybe trade one of our 3rd round picks for his rights, is David Clarkson. For the 4th line C I would target Boyd Gordon. He's a RH shot which gives us something different from the top 3, he's also very good on the draw and a strong PKer. He doesn't need sheltered minutes, and would make our 4th line one of the better ones in the league.

Before those signings we have under 10 mil in cap space with the roster I have listed. Those four guys should cost under 7 mil in total. That leaves some room under the cap to make trades as I would really like to see the defence improved upon as I feel that is our weakest link of the roster. An upgrade on Moen would also be welcome but I believe he is better than he showed this past season.
Good post. I'm thinking along the same lines. My overall theme is that I think Bergy wil go with youth next year, and I think It is a good idea. Our window opens in 14-15, and we need that youth to learn next year. And youth is cheap.

Some key points:

1. DD is now demoted to line 3. He's useless as a winger and Pleks Eller will be no. one and 2. This is going to happen, no doubt about it. Stop dreaming that DD is a no 1 or 2 C. It's over.

2. Chuckie can play wing for one more year, and fill in at C on any of the top 3 lines as required. He is still very young.

3. Gio can play top 6 still, but I think he'll get hurt again. People may laugh, but when Gio is hurt in January, it will be time to call up Kristo. That is how much I believe in that kid. He will be next year's Gally for us. Remember, he's 23, not 20. He just needs 40 pro games under his belt.

4. We need a big, tough 15-20 goal winger for the top 9. UFA or trade, maybe trade. Realistically, I think he finds a very good 3rd line guy, who can fill in top 2 lines if required. Forget about Clarkson and Clowe. This is going to be Bergy's biggest challenge this summer. Let's see what he does.

5. With the move to youth, I think Dumont might make the team next year. I like him a lot, he's french, and he can spot for DD on line 3 if DD is hurt. No. he's not perfect, but he's young and plays with passion. His FO ability also looks good. He also had great hands as a junior. To me he is a potential complete 3rd line C one day. I'd rather develop Dumont than hang on to some old broken FO guy like Halpern for 82 games. The question is , will he be good enough at PK to give Pleks a rest. Maybe after Christmas. If Dumont struggles, there are always a few good experienced vet FO and PK C men available at deadline.

6. White will be gunning for that spot on the 4th line. This will be his make or break year. He had a big learning curve this year, and I think he can stick next year. You have to love his passion and energy. That is what wins cups, down the line. Prust Dumont White can be an effective 4th line.

7. Yes, we need a giant tough killer ******* 4th line W, to fill in when we play teams who use goons. I think Bergy will find one. Hopefully, the guy can also at least skate well enough to backcheck, and play responsible defense, for 10 minutes.

8. It is obvious that Bergy will look for a top 6, big, tough crease clearing D man, who can fill in top 4 as required. This is Bergy's second biggest challenge this summer.

In conclusion, with the 2013-14 youth movement:

Max, Pleks, Gio (Responsible first line with scoring ability)
Bourque, Eller, Gally (This is a potential monster 2nd line)
Chuckie, DD, Big UFA or Trade W (Shelters DD and Chuckie)
Prust, Dumont, White
Killer fighter UFA/trade 4th line W for goon games.

Subby, Markov
Gorges, Emelin (Gorges better pick it up, or it's his last year as a Hab)
Big UFA/trade D man, Tinordi
Diaz, Cube

Acquisitions:

1 top 6 bug tough wing who can pot 15 goals.
1 monster fighter W to protect our small guys, and to help Prust.
1 big, punishing crease clearing 3rd line D man who can sub in top 4.

Gone in trades or buyouts:

Moen. Yes, Moen. See ya later, no more floating along on Habs. He is a good trade chip, and we should do it now.

Ryder
Kaberle
Weber
Halpern
Army

Halpern and Army are good vets, but this is the youth movement remember, and guys like them can be had at deadline, if we're in contention. I'd rather give their time to Dumont and other young wingers.

Callups:
Kristo after Christmas for top six duty.
Beaulieu after Christmas for injured D.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
I used Fantasy wich mean to assume that is not realistic ... we are far from what we need to pry him out with this but I assume that we need him ... now how the hell can we get this roster without taking ELLER or another young good player for Stewart ?
Plekanec is the piece that the Blues want, fits in well with their system and is a #1.5 centerman, something they need.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:14 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post

Seriously, I know we need a type of player like Torres. But not Torres himself. The guy is stupid. Even after his suspension of 25 games, a year later he finds a way to be AGAIN in trouble. I know the guy hits hard, I know he brings energy to his teammates and blablabla but for god's sake, he doesn't know how to hit properly. I don't want someone who targets the head and is dirty. Clarkson would be my first choice and Clowe my close second.

What a piece of **** on that one.
I was embarrassed enough with how White acted, Bourque's flying elbows and all the other dirty, stupid play we often had to resort to this year. I'm definitely against bringing Torres in. We don't need "crazy" on our team to be successful. Bring in a goon to punch a couple of faces, not Torres to break a couple of necks.

Closed Thread