HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Inquiry RE: Researching NHL Rinks

Old
04-29-2013, 05:51 PM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

vCash: 500
Inquiry RE: Researching NHL Rinks

Hello,

My name is Cory Gibson and I am a researcher for the website www.FrozenFaceoff.net

The stated goal of the website is ''to capture the past and present of center ice designs'' Further, it's purpose is to chronicle the evolution and changes that have been made to Ice Hockey surfaces since the sport's inception.

Now, in collaboration with another researcher, we have amassed a fairly sizable database of renderings dating back to the 1950s. The problem we're running into now is a lack of reference shots of rinks from 1950 and prior. Sources like Youtube, Getty and Flickr can only help so much.

I am making this thread to ask for any suggestions you folks can give me as to where I should be looking next for visual references of rinks. What NHLuniforms has done as it relates to the continued preservation of NHL sweaters, we similarly want to do for NHL ices.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by FelixPotvin29GOAT: 04-29-2013 at 07:08 PM.
FelixPotvin29GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Hi Cory, sounds like a fascinating endeavour... I would suggest you get ahold of Kevin Jordan from www.ohlarenaguide.com in sending him an email through that site. He's got an extensive, almost exhaustive knowledge of both current & defunct arenas going back decades including the old Montreal Forum & Maple Leaf Gardens, the Mutual Street Arena in Toronto (original home of the Leafs, Arenas, Blueshirts & St. Pats). Additionally here on hf, some tidbits about the Olympia, Buffalos' Aud etc, in the search menu above simply type in "Old Arenas" or any combination thereof. You'll find some further links through those threads to websites on the subject.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Canadiens1958

Well Done

Interesting project. Website is well done.

Possible resources. The various teams - Canadiens have a museum project, HHOF, photo and newspaper archives.

Working on a project that spans 1939 to 1978, will keep an eye out.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Oh?, what projects that C58? Arena development, management, ABA, Norris clan etc?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Canadiens1958

History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Oh?, what projects that C58? Arena development, management, ABA, Norris clan etc?
Specific Boys Club history in Montreal including various youth activities.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Hi Cory, sounds like a fascinating endeavour... I would suggest you get ahold of Kevin Jordan from www.ohlarenaguide.com in sending him an email through that site. He's got an extensive, almost exhaustive knowledge of both current & defunct arenas going back decades including the old Montreal Forum & Maple Leaf Gardens, the Mutual Street Arena in Toronto (original home of the Leafs, Arenas, Blueshirts & St. Pats). Additionally here on hf, some tidbits about the Olympia, Buffalos' Aud etc, in the search menu above simply type in "Old Arenas" or any combination thereof. You'll find some further links through those threads to websites on the subject.
Quote:
Interesting project. Website is well done.

Possible resources. The various teams - Canadiens have a museum project, HHOF, photo and newspaper archives.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be sure to actively look into the avenues the two of you suggested in the imminent future

Old
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Stephen

Awesome work...

Also, it's it such a fortuitous coincidence that the O in the Toronto Maple Leafs logo is centered in a way to be used as the faceoff dot?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Awesome work...

Also, it's it such a fortuitous coincidence that the O in the Toronto Maple Leafs logo is centered in a way to be used as the faceoff dot?
I would gander to guess it's intentional, it's just too perfectly centered for it not to be

Old
05-01-2013, 07:46 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

One of my favorite hockey sites on the net. The red line designs alone are fascinating.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:16 PM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

Didn't want to make another thread, so I thought I would plug my friend's work of a similar ilk to the center ice website here. Written about on Uni-Watch yesterday, my co-FF researcher has started a tumble for NHL scoreboards and has a number of older designs currently up ..

St.Louis Arena

Chicago Stadium (last game)

Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena

Can find the rest of his work here: http://canuckfanatic92.tumblr.com/

Old
05-18-2013, 12:47 AM
FelixPotvin29GOAT

Oh

And MLG