HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 03:08 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

vCash: 500
I'd take Johansson over Stålberg 7 days week. Hörnqvist must be on the team, he and Franzen are pretty much the only ones who are willing to get in the goalies face and knock in rebounds. Unfortunately Mårts has no idea how to utilize him.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Hornqvist
Eriksson-Zetterberg-Hagelin
Landeskog-Backstrom-Alfredsson
Steen-Berglund-Johansson
Franzen

Ekman-Larsson-Karlsson
Ericsson-Kronwall
Hedman-Enstrom
Hjalmarsson

Lundqvist
Fasth
Lehner

Old
05-18-2013, 04:35 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

Ericsson on the 2nd pair?

He'll do well just to be considered among the guys competing for the 7th spot along with Brodin, Larsson etc.

Hagelin hasn't shown enough to be getting a top 6 spot in the Olympics, either. His speed is a huge asset, but not enough to vault him to a premier line with Z. Sweden will be more likely to play a huge puzzle game in the bottom 6, moving pieces around to see what fits, while shifting all their elite skill into the top 6 for maximum ice time (Sedins, Zetterberg, Bäckström, Eriksson).

Old
05-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Hockeyfrilla

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16797384.ab

Edler to be suspended over olympics?

Edit: teams can have a larger roster than earlier in Sochi.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 05-18-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Here View Post
Ericsson on the 2nd pair?

He'll do well just to be considered among the guys competing for the 7th spot along with Brodin, Larsson etc.

Hagelin hasn't shown enough to be getting a top 6 spot in the Olympics, either. His speed is a huge asset, but not enough to vault him to a premier line with Z. Sweden will be more likely to play a huge puzzle game in the bottom 6, moving pieces around to see what fits, while shifting all their elite skill into the top 6 for maximum ice time (Sedins, Zetterberg, Bäckström, Eriksson).
Ericsson has been Detroit's best defender this season.

Hagelin is useful because of his speed. He has some of best advanced stats in the league and has played top 6 his whole NHL career. I guess it is interchangeable between him Alfie and Johansson for a sparkplug role.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Dosing

Ok sedins can come

Old
05-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Now Mårts will bring KHL'rs (Persson!!!!)

Old
05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
gretskidoo

Persson will be our 1st line center.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:18 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

I will not watch a single game if Persson makes the team.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
I will not watch a single game if Persson makes the team.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Dosing

Like it or not but we could use an ******* like axelsson in a short tournament like this. He may not be full season material but winning for his country in so few games probbs rubs his ego well even after today

Old
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Like it or not but we could use an ******* like axelsson in a short tournament like this. He may not be full season material but winning for his country in so few games probbs rubs his ego well even after today
Short of drawing a penalty I don't really remember anything Axelsson did in the semis or final?

Old
05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
gretskidoo

Axelsson? That would be much worse than having Persson on the team.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:39 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
Axelsson? That would be much worse than having Persson on the team.

nah. persson just floats around.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Short of drawing a penalty I don't really remember anything Axelsson did in the semis or final?
He had another shift short after the one where he drew a penalty where he almost scored a goal. Other than that.. I dont think he played many shifts

Old
05-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Oyabun

I'm happy for Mårts sake. It might be an unpopular opinion around here but I think he got too much criticism

Old
05-19-2013, 04:54 PM
sleepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Hornqvist
Eriksson-Zetterberg-Hagelin
Landeskog-Backstrom-Alfredsson
Steen-Berglund-Johansson
Franzen

Ekman-Larsson-Karlsson
Ericsson-Kronwall
Hedman-Enstrom
Hjalmarsson

Lundqvist
Fasth
Lehner
I'm sorry, but this is not a very good lineup at all to be honest. The twins have amazing chemistry with Eriksson, hence he should share the top line with them. Second line would be Landy - Z - Franzen. I don't know if it would be better with Zibanejad/Silfverberg than Hagelin/Hornqvist after that. Just depends on what the third and fourth line would consist of.

On the D, OEL+Karlsson is silly because they are both offensive defenders without much routine in major championships. I would pick out Karlsson then Edler then OEL on seperate lines along with stay-home defensemen such as Murray/Tallinder/Oduya/Kronwall/Hjalmarsson. Maybe Hedman instead of OEL or Edler which now has a 3 game suspension.

We have too many good d-men :/

Edit: Like this

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson
Landeskog - Zetterberg - Franzen
Hornqvist - Backstrom - Alfredsson
Steen - Berglund - Stalberg

Kronwall - Karlsson
Tallinder - Edler/OEL
Hjalmarsson - Hedman

Lundqvist
Enroth

Last edited by sleepers: 05-19-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Changes
Old
05-19-2013, 05:19 PM
helax
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepers View Post
I'm sorry, but this is not a very good lineup at all to be honest. The twins have amazing chemistry with Eriksson, hence he should share the top line with them. Second line would be Landy - Z - Franzen. I don't know if it would be better with Zibanejad/Silfverberg than Hagelin/Hornqvist after that. Just depends on what the third and fourth line would consist of.

On the D, OEL+Karlsson is silly because they are both offensive defenders without much routine in major championships. I would pick out Karlsson then Edler then OEL on seperate lines along with stay-home defensemen such as Murray/Tallinder/Oduya/Kronwall. Maybe Hedman instead of OEL or Edler which now has a 3 game suspension.

We have too many good d-men :/

Edit: Like this

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson
Landeskog - Zetterberg - Franzen
Hornqvist - Backstrom - Alfredsson
Steen - Berglund - Stalberg

Kronwall - Karlsson
Tallinder - Hedman/Edler
Oduya - Murray/OEL

Lundqvist
Enroth
Murray is to slow for the big ice. And saying that OEL is just a offensive d-man is just not true ...

And Tallinder???????

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Kronwall
Edler - ( Larsson, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Gustafsson, Brodin, Enström, Erixon)

No way Tallinder is in that team..

Old
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
I'm happy for Mårts sake. It might be an unpopular opinion around here but I think he got too much criticism
Coaches get too much flak for failures and too much credit for success. He's had a lousy set of players in the EHT, he had a lousy set to start this tournament, but got competitive by getting a couple of stars. The correlation is there with the results.

His main mistake has usually been the lack of adapting to the players on the team. In 2011 he brought a youthful team that were used to his type of hockey from the World Juniors, that's why it worked out there. Last year I felt like he wasn't coaching at all, it was just a bunch of (good) players playing freely on talent. That one was 100% a coaching failure. The EHT tournaments don't matter to me, and usually we have the weakest roster of the four teams aswell so poor results are to be expected.

And finally this year when the Sedins joined he realized we pretty much had to play a traditional Swedish game to stand a chance, a team based on older players who know how to defend. Better late than never.

So 2011: Good, he had the players to play that type of skating high-pressure hockey.
2012: Too many new players to play a new brand of hockey. It was a mess defensively and a total waste for a really strong team.
2013: A slow, sluggish Tre Kronor all through the group stage. Accepted the underdog role and started playing disciplined hockey, got the firepower needed and won. Could've crashed out in the QF, but it's always a fine line in single elimination. He deserves credit for changing how we played.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:48 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

No matter how good our young defenders are, we cant simply can't have an average age of 22-23 in the back-end. Experience is very important and we should probably bring at least 2 veterans and one of those will be Kronwall. Tallinder is not a bad choice, and I would probably take him over Oduya.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
sleepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by helax View Post
Murray is to slow for the big ice. And saying that OEL is just a offensive d-man is just not true ...

And Tallinder???????

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Kronwall
Edler - ( Larsson, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Gustafsson, Brodin, Enström, Erixon)

No way Tallinder is in that team..
You may be right about Murray and the big ice but.. OEL is definitely a offensive d-man, to say the least a two-way defender. Hedman with Karlsson? He doesn't have a perfect season behind him but it may change at the start of the next NHL season. Then you want to play both Kronwall and Edler on the left side which none of them normally don't. OEL should start off at the third line to see how he does because he doesn't have half the routine that Tallinder has. And I like Tallinders close-down game. He made few mistakes during this WHC.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Coaches get too much flak for failures and too much credit for success. He's had a lousy set of players in the EHT, he had a lousy set to start this tournament, but got competitive by getting a couple of stars. The correlation is there with the results.

His main mistake has usually been the lack of adapting to the players on the team. In 2011 he brought a youthful team that were used to his type of hockey from the World Juniors, that's why it worked out there. Last year I felt like he wasn't coaching at all, it was just a bunch of (good) players playing freely on talent. That one was 100% a coaching failure. The EHT tournaments don't matter to me, and usually we have the weakest roster of the four teams aswell so poor results are to be expected.

And finally this year when the Sedins joined he realized we pretty much had to play a traditional Swedish game to stand a chance, a team based on older players who know how to defend. Better late than never.

So 2011: Good, he had the players to play that type of skating high-pressure hockey.
2012: Too many new players to play a new brand of hockey. It was a mess defensively and a total waste for a really strong team.
2013: A slow, sluggish Tre Kronor all through the group stage. Accepted the underdog role and started playing disciplined hockey, got the firepower needed and won. Could've crashed out in the QF, but it's always a fine line in single elimination. He deserves credit for changing how we played.
It's the same story with every coach when there's been a few near-successes and then a dry spell. Compare it to Hardy and his torpedo hockey with two final exits to Canada, people quickly got tired of him. Same with BÅG after the 2006 bonanza. Mårts I believe rubs people the wrong way with his passive, calm style at the bench. We don't get to see him actively coach, that works against him in a situation like 2012. God knows how Russian fans cope with their stoic coaches.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:57 PM
jfc64

Hello, point stats slaves!

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Zetterberg - Bäckström - Franzén
Steen - Berglund - Hörnqvist
Zibanejad - Lundqvist - Landeskog

Dark horse: Alfredsson

OEL - Karlsson (some PP!)
Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Kronwall - Kronwall
Gunnarsson - Edler (out three games of OG, which is BS)

Enroth
Lundqvist
Marky

Reserves: Silfverberg, Söderberg, Stålberg, Krüger, Backlund
Reserves: Gustafsson, Brodin, Enström, Tallinder, Grossmann
Reserves: Lehner, Fasth, Lindbäck, Ersberg

Old
05-19-2013, 06:01 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepers View Post
You may be right about Murray and the big ice but.. OEL is definitely a offensive d-man, to say the least a two-way defender. Hedman with Karlsson? He doesn't have a perfect season behind him but it may change at the start of the next NHL season. Then you want to play both Kronwall and Edler on the left side which none of them normally don't. OEL should start off at the third line to see how he does because he doesn't have half the routine that Tallinder has. And I like Tallinders close-down game. He made few mistakes during this WHC.
Tallinder grew during the tournament but when the tempo and opposition is one inch better he will be sloppy with the puck. Still a hero. No way Grossmann, Ericsson, Gunnarsson will be behind him on the roster.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM
jfc64

In Sotji we will be a two line team where our no. 3 line must be happy sitting some minutes and our fourth line will be hungry wolves when jumping in on the ice. So... Steen, Berglund, Hörnqvist (above average NHL-players) and Landeskog have to swallow a hard pill. Or fight Franzén for the last spot.

Closed Thread