HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MB press conference

Old
05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We've heard this for what 10-12 years?
Except the the team never followed that path. We opted for bandaids year after year.

We have a cornerstone D, a should be cornerstone C, and Price has shown in the past he can be that cornerstone G.

It's the three most important positions to fill and we look better at those positions today than we have since sometime in the early/mid 1990s.

Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu are both future NHLers, Tinordi likely this upcoming season. They are EXACTLY what the make up of this team moving forward needs to look like. Big, mobile, and some toughness. We aren't far off, maybe a few moves up front and a few moves at the back end.

With proper managing this team should look real good in the next 2-3 years. It's going to take aggressive managing though, we can't just sit back and hope all our players progress and all our prospects pan out. We need to identify the near-future core and move pieces as needed to compliment that. If giving up a good prospect like Collberg is a part of a bigger picture like acquiring an immediate top 6 winger that fills our needs for the next 5 years.. It's an avenue we have to go down.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 10:17 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I feel like Bergevin is going to focus on drafting and the "Chicago-model" but he's missing the Toews, Kane and Hossa... and Keith, Seabrook and Bolland.

They have Toews, we have Pleks.
They have Kane, we have Patches.
They have Hossa, we have Gionta (hah.).
They have Keith, we have Subban.
They have Seabrook, we have Emelin.
They have Bolland, we have Eller.

Clear downgrade at every position, except maybe Keith-Subban but that year Keith was a wrecking ball.

No problems with the Chicago-model but I do hope he knows what he's doing and doesn't waste Price and Patches until they're 30 to finally compete.
If you want to take the Hawks analogy you have to consider that Bergevin is in his first year so it's more like :

Toews - Galchenyuk
Kane - Gallagher
Hossa - Pacioretty
Keith - Subban
Seabrook - Tinordi
Bolland - Eller

I still give them a little edge ... Especially the Kane Gallagher comparison but wait 3 years and we'll talk.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
If you want to take the Hawks analogy you have to consider that Bergevin is in his first year so it's more like :

Toews - Galchenyuk
Kane - Gallagher
Hossa - Pacioretty
Keith - Subban
Seabrook - Tinordi
Bolland - Eller

I still give them a little edge ... Especially the Kane Gallagher comparison but wait 3 years and we'll talk.
Comparing Galchenyuk to Toews is not a fair comparison at all. Neither is Kane-Gallagher or Seabrook-Tinordi. I'd say galchenyuk may be similar to a Hossa.

But that's beside the point. Hawks are the most balanced team in the NHL. They have the perfect mix of speed skill and size. It took a couple years to put that core together, but since then they have been and will be contenders every season. I believe we are well on our way to building that core. A couple trades down the line will be made to create a great supporting cast. This means that we should be perennial contenders within a couple seasons (Galchenyuk will be our 1C and 21-22 by then).

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
The OT winner in Game 4 is not Budaj's fault really, more like Budaj & Diaz' fault.

Recchi plays bigger than his size suggested as well. He is strong on the puck, goes to the net, hits, etc.

And I agree, depth is never a bad thing, even if he's a smurf :laugh
Some posters pounce on Price regardless of how he was let down by teammates. It's bad enough that all goals, including empty netters, show up in his statistics, but that's not enough to forestall a kangaroo court, preloaded and raring to convict.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDan93 View Post
Comparing Galchenyuk to Toews is not a fair comparison at all. Neither is Kane-Gallagher or Seabrook-Tinordi. I'd say galchenyuk may be similar to a Hossa.

But that's beside the point. Hawks are the most balanced team in the NHL. They have the perfect mix of speed skill and size. It took a couple years to put that core together, but since then they have been and will be contenders every season. I believe we are well on our way to building that core. A couple trades down the line will be made to create a great supporting cast. This means that we should be perennial contenders within a couple seasons (Galchenyuk will be our 1C and 21-22 by then).
So why didn't the Hawks win more Cups? Why didn't the Bruins win more than 2 in the Orr-Esposito era? Because they were less than perfect.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Dave Nonis had his address today. Loudly and proudly stated that nobody on his team is untouchable. Even his best players. Reimer and Phaneuf included. Never felt the need to be 150 percent behind his most disappointing players.

Wonder who will make more progress, the GM who seems willing to be more active to improve his team or the one who appears more patient and willing to do things through the draft. Stay tuned.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Mats86

Why I don't like drafting goalies. Most mature late, Price is 25-26 we are still waiting on him to mature for playoff goalie. Waste of 5 springs and draft picks. Much better to sign a free agent 30 something NHL vet combined with signing goalie prospect who has kicked around the minors forever, like a Thomas or Anderson.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:23 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDan93 View Post

What I wanted to point out is that we are at the beginning of the process : Look at the Hawks 6 years ago.

I'm not comparing the players to the actual Kane and Toews and Keith and Seabrook. I'm comparing them at the same stage of their career.

Galchenyuk - rookie Toews
Gallagher - rookie Kane
Etc.

The Hossa one doesn't fit with Pacioretty tho.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Dave Nonis had his address today. Loudly and proudly stated that nobody on his team is untouchable. Even his best players. Reimer and Phaneuf included. Never felt the need to be 150 percent behind his most disappointing players.

Wonder who will make more progress, the GM who seems willing to be more active to improve his team or the one who appears more patient and willing to do things through the draft. Stay tuned.
Nonis has always had a big pair of balls, you gotta like that.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:17 AM
AH

Quote:

You are lying. He said no one is untouchable, but not every player can be traded.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nonis has always had a big pair of balls, you gotta like that.
I'd rather have a GM with brains than balls. Balls got Gainey nowhere(Gomez trade) or Holmgren(Carter/Richards deals).

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Why I don't like drafting goalies. Most mature late, Price is 25-26 we are still waiting on him to mature for playoff goalie. Waste of 5 springs and draft picks. Much better to sign a free agent 30 something NHL vet combined with signing goalie prospect who has kicked around the minors forever, like a Thomas or Anderson.
It sounds easy doesn't it. Tell you what: Why don't you tell us who is going to be the next "it" goalie, and how we should go out and acquire him.

I should have bought Apple stocks in 1985 too...

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
You are lying. He said no one is untouchable, but not every player can be traded.
That's what I said .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
sharks9

Quote:

Haha that's just meaningless BS. Obviously if Shero offered Crosby for Price MB would do it in a heartbeat and in that sense no one is untouchable.

But there are players that won't be traded unless it's for a massive overpayment on the Leafs as well as the Habs.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Haha that's just meaningless BS. Obviously if Shero offered Crosby for Price MB would do it in a heartbeat and in that sense no one is untouchable.

But there are players that won't be traded unless it's for a massive overpayment on the Leafs as well as the Habs.
well dont you know, the GMs who talk more in press conferences are on top of every other...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Smoky Thompson

Have you guys seen Dalton Thrower and Dietz ??

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:57 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'd rather have a GM with brains than balls. Balls got Gainey nowhere(Gomez trade) or Holmgren(Carter/Richards deals).
Hello R U kidding me

I will take Cotourier ,Voracek , Brayden Schenn , and Simmonds

anyday of the week over Carter and Richards and those albatorss contracts

Voracek and Simmonds are 2 of the best young talents under 25 in this league

no GM right now takes those 2 over those youngsters

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Hello R U kidding me

I'm pretty sure most GM's take Carter and Richards. They cost a combined 11 mil of cap space, hardly albatross contracts.

Old
05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
FinnHab

We have GM with clear vision, success via draft. Im fine with that.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
WhiskeySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Hello R U kidding me

LA won a cup - that renders almost all other arguments invalid.

The point of the game is to win, and LA won. I'd trade all my favourite players if it meant I was certain to win a cup.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
First of all, 99% of you were on the Gainey bandwagon, because he was 'so smart'. I remember all the avatar's with Gainey pointing at his head, he was the 'mastermind' if I recall..

Secondly, brains don't mean a lot if you don't have the balls to make a trade, take a risk from time to time. Serge Savard made a living trading when values were high.

Ripping Homgren for the Carter/Richards deals isn't really fair, since he had a plan but the FA money he free'd up never landed him what he wanted. However they are loaded with prospects and good young players, they won't be far away from being a solid team again. They are one year removed from smashing the Pens in the playoffs for pete sakes.

I haven't given up on MB, I'll have my mind made up after this year's draft and FA bonanza is over.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
What I wanted to point out is that we are at the beginning of the process : Look at the Hawks 6 years ago.

I'm not comparing the players to the actual Kane and Toews and Keith and Seabrook. I'm comparing them at the same stage of their career.

Galchenyuk - rookie Toews
Gallagher - rookie Kane
Etc.

The Hossa one doesn't fit with Pacioretty tho.
Might be more fitting than comparing Gallagher to Kane.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
First of all, 99% of you were on the Gainey bandwagon, because he was 'so smart'. I remember all the avatar's with Gainey pointing at his head, he was the 'mastermind' if I recall..

Secondly, brains don't mean a lot if you don't have the balls to make a trade, take a risk from time to time. Serge Savard made a living trading when values were high.

Ripping Homgren for the Carter/Richards deals isn't really fair, since he had a plan but the FA money he free'd up never landed him what he wanted. However they are loaded with prospects and good young players, they won't be far away from being a solid team again. They are one year removed from smashing the Pens in the playoffs for pete sakes.

I haven't given up on MB, I'll have my mind made up after this year's draft and FA bonanza is over.
How is Phillie "loaded with prospects"? their system is one of the worst and most of the young players they have are via trade.

Holmgren has been GM for what, 6-7 years and they are further from a cup than 4-5 years ago, their defense has no puck mover and he signed a goalie to huge money who can't handle pressure. Holgren as a gm is a clear case of the "grass being greener on the other side".

Old
05-18-2013, 07:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We've heard this for what 10-12 years?
To everyone *****ing at the fact we are ****:

There are 30 teams in the league.

We did not tank 4 years straight and draft Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

It is absurd to compare any team in the NHL to Pens. They are a freak, tanking outlier who also lucked into players of generational talent. I doubt this happens again, and let us see how long Pens survive in NHL when Crosby hits his wall in 3 years.

If you want to complain, look at Wings. That's the team I want Habs to be (never thought I'd write that).

It is a team that drafted superbly, and was managed superbly, over many, many years.

I think that is what Bergy's model is, and it's going to take a few years to get there.

The only problem is, Chuckie is not Stevie Y.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:57 AM
bsl

Quote:
If I were GM, at my biggest concern is between the pipes after this playoff, then I tackle the smurf issue. Either Price was hurting all along, or he needs a bigger d to clear his crease.

I am really concerned about his play, and the fact he couldn't rebound.
I am still confident in Price, but his moaning on not being able to get groceries is an indictment on:

******* idiot fans who have no sense of boundaries, and bother him in public. It's ****ing well creepy.

I would NEVER talk to a player on the street, ever.

Jaques Lemaire ate at the same pizza place as my family on Sundays for years in the seventies, and NO ONE bothered him. NO ONE.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote