HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Toronto 2013 the 4th team to blow a 3 goal Game 7 lead. Who are the other three?

Old
05-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Toronto 2013 the 4th team to blow a 3 goal Game 7 lead. Who are the other three?

Alright, the Leafs catastrophe the other night puts them in dubious company. First off, they are the first team to blow a 3rd period 3 goal lead in a Game 7, ever. But, along with them, three other teams blew a three goal Game 7 lead at some time during the game and lost. The Leafs of 2013 are one of them and Boston of 2010 is the other that I know of off by heart.

Boston of 1979 had a 3-1 lead and blew it so it isn't them. Chicago of 1971 had a 2-0 lead. Calgary in 1986 against St. Louis was a Game 6 and the Flames won in 7 anyway.

So who is it? I am racking my brain here and couldn't really find much on Google to help.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:23 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
2010 Bruins vs Philly is one

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:24 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

1988 Philadelphia and 1991 Calgary are the other two.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:54 PM
reckoning

It was mentioned in the newspaper that Toronto's director of hockey operations, Dave Poulin, was on that '88 Flyer team.

Of course, the major difference was that in all three of the previous examples, the score had already been tied up by the end of the second period. That game on Monday was the most improbable amazing single-game comeback I've ever seen. And I do consider it an amazing comeback by the Bruins, more than a Toronto "choke" that everybody seems to be saying.

reckoning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:05 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
It was mentioned in the newspaper that Toronto's director of hockey operations, Dave Poulin, was on that '88 Flyer team.

Of course, the major difference was that in all three of the previous examples, the score had already been tied up by the end of the second period. That game on Monday was the most improbable amazing single-game comeback I've ever seen. And I do consider it an amazing comeback by the Bruins, more than a Toronto "choke" that everybody seems to be saying.
The Bruins have a weird ability to just turn it on and dominate for short periods. They did it in game 5 and 6 too... just didn't tie it up in either game. Few posts in both though

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
1988 Philadelphia and 1991 Calgary are the other two.
Yes. Good call. I should have remembered the 1991 Calgary one. The 1988 Philly one I do remember now that we say it. Hard to believe the only four times this has happened was between 1988 and 2013. Never before that.

I remember Theo Fleury in the Calgary game scoring and doing sort of a "salt on the wounds" type of celebration after the goal (Game 7, not the classic Game 6 overtime one). Apparently, Messier read the Oilers the riot act in the first intermission and the Fleury celebration was part of the topic. The Flames in 1991 weren't chokers at that time. They won in 1989, had an upset in 1990 and then they were up 3-0 in Game 7. No one would have thought the Oilers come back from that.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote