HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 09:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
I can't find it but someone in my time line retweeted earlier today a reporter quoting Dave Nonis (Toronto's GM) saying he believe's there will be a lot of draft day trades with the cap going down next year.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I think Jonathon Blum can be had from NSH.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
why would Nashville trade Blum? I am pretty unfamiliar with their system beyong the big club so i am just curious what they have that would make him expendable?

Old
05-17-2013, 06:17 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Offer-sheet Blum!!!

But seriously, Blum would be an excellent target for a minor deal. His strength is puck movement and he is touted to be a PP QB type. With their offensive struggles, Nashville might be a good trade partner.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Curufinwe

Read for Blum, or would that be overpayment by the Flyers?

Old
05-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think the Flyers would negotiate with Read first to see what his expectations for a new contract are, but if they surpass the 3.5M/yr range (as they well might), then Blum or Rundblad (both RFAs) seem like fine guys to target in a trade for Read.

If Read wants to stay on a reasonable contract, I suspect that Holmgren would prefer that to a trade.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Yes, I wouldn't do that type of a deal. I would go prospect for prospect and maybe add a later pick from our side because of the NHL experience Blum has. Not so sold on Blum either. He has fallen out of favor in Nashville big time though. Could be worth the risk.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

The reason I think Blum is available is b/c they have many D prospects they can/will develop. While they like Blum, they are in need of scoring, badly up front. I also think the lack of game-time with Blum (read; patience) is also a factor. His role hasn't been defined yet with the Preds. He can - has the tools - to move the puck and qb the PP.

I don't think Read for Blum is overpayment by any stretch.

edit: I have watched him play and when he is ON, he looks great on the ice - he needs more mentors, which by the sounds of it, we have lots of. Same type of reaction people had with Schenn, he lacked consistency. The track record with Blum is there, based on accolades - while I know it doesn't always translate, I feel his mind for the game is to good for him not to succeed.

Last edited by dingbathero: 05-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old
05-17-2013, 11:19 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Blum is who the Preds selected when the Flyers traded the Nashville first round pick back to the Preds for the rights to Hartnell & Timonen.

05-17-2013, 11:25 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Blum is who the Preds selected when the Flyers traded the Nashville first round pick back to the Preds for the rights to Hartnell & Timonen.
I didn't make that connection - it would be funny to see him land here if it ever did pan out.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Ricky Bobby

With the Nucks needing to shed salaries has anybody thought of a deal around:

To Vancouver:

Bryz (34.5 million in real dollars who the Nucks could buy out for almost 13 million less than it would take to buy out Luongo).

To Philly:

Luongo (40.57 million in real dollars and can still be a # 1 for some years)
Ballard (cap dump to factor in that Bryz won't be playing. Can get a chance to revive his career cause he was a # 2 dman before his career took a nosedive in Vancouver and if he doesn't he could also be bought out by Philly)

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 05-17-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Actual dollars owed to Luongo adjusted
Old
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
With the Nucks needing to shed salaries has anybody thought of a deal around:

To Vancouver:

Bryz (34.5 million in real dollars who the Nucks could buy out for almost 13 million less than it would take to buy out Luongo).

To Philly:

Luongo (47.284 million in real dollars and can still be a # 1 for some years)
Ballard (cap dump to factor in that Bryz won't be playing. Can get a chance to revive his career cause he was a # 2 dman before his career took a nosedive in Vancouver and if he doesn't he could also be bought out by Philly)
I rather just buy-out Bryz and wait for you guys to buy-out Luongo.

We're going to need cap space for next summer when Giroux is up for a new deal.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

I really don't think Vancouver is buying out Luongo. I think they could ship him out to Florida or Toronto for a 3rd plus a b prospect before they have to buy him out.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I really don't think Vancouver is buying out Luongo. I think they could ship him out to Florida or Toronto for a 3rd plus a b prospect before they have to buy him out.
Reimer was solid for the Leafs this year so I'm sure Toronto take Luongo unless Vancouver retained some of his cap hit.

Florida would be looking to trade out a bad contract like JovoCop or also for Florida to retain some of that salary.

I think Nonis just has to minimize take the least damage in trying to deal Luongo (who has a NTC and retirement years that teams won't like).

For Philly to just buy-out Bryz your talking about a lot of dollars for a team to simply just pay out.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

So, from this page, the Flyers would pretty much replenish the defense in two moves:

To Nashville: Matt Read
To Philadelphia: Johnathan Blum

To Anaheim: Scott Hartnell, Braydon Coburn
To Philadelphia: Luca Sbisa, Bobby Ryan

I look at the lineup and how it would change:

Ryan - Giroux - Voracek
Gagne - Schenn - Simmonds
Talbot - Couturier - Akeson/McGinn
Rinaldo - Hall - Holmstrom
Rosehill

Timonen - Sbisa
Blum - Schenn
Grossmann - Gustafsson
Lauridsen

Bryzgalov
Mason

Not a bad looking group. I know Blum has fallen out of favour in Nashville, but he needs a change of scenery more than anything. Being around a Timonen and having a Pronger close by to help point things out might be just what Blum needs to get back on track.

Sbisa also benefits from the Pronger influence and could eventually be moved to a shut down role with Schenn and be a nightmare to play against in the playoffs.

I'm liking it more and more.

The other nice thing about this is that Laughton gets one more year in junior and gets into a role where he can tear it up on a nightly basis and work on adding strength and muscle to his frame. The Flyers can then see whether or not some of the players in their system can sink or swim as well. Let's see if Akeson can keep up or if McGinn is really ready for full time minutes.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

To Anaheim: Scott Hartnell, Braydon Coburn
To Philadelphia: Luca Sbisa, Bobby Ryan
That trade won't get us Sbisa and Ryan...

Old
05-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Prongo
Beer

One player to watch is Carey Price up in Montreal. He is the youngest option probably for us to try and fetch in a trade. The price would probably be high, but he would best the most ideal player to try to get. He is not very happy with the city right now. Doesn't go out or anything, at least Philly would give him that opportunity. You think New Jersey would also call though, along with a few other teams.

One thing that concerns me with him is that he is inconsistent.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post
That trade won't get us Sbisa and Ryan...
I would be surprised if it even got us Sbisa OR Ryan.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would be surprised if it even got us Sbisa OR Ryan.
LOL Coburn+Hartnell would easily get us Ryan OR Sbisa. It would be a horrible deal from our perspective.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
One player to watch is Carey Price up in Montreal. He is the youngest option probably for us to try and fetch in a trade. The price would probably be high, but he would best the most ideal player to try to get. He is not very happy with the city right now. Doesn't go out or anything, at least Philly would give him that opportunity. You think New Jersey would also call though, along with a few other teams.

I'm not sure I would make a trade for Carey Price a this point unless it was a steal, which is unlikely. The Flyers would likely have to overpay like you said, which I'm not interested in doing for Carey Price.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:31 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

Montreal isn't going to move Price until he finally proves that he can't be the guy. They also don't have anyone that can step in and fill the role of starter.

Plus, if he doesn't like Montreal because they're tough on players, how's he going to react to Philly fans who are from the same mold?

Old
05-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Montreal isn't going to move Price until he finally proves that he can't be the guy. They also don't have anyone that can step in and fill the role of starter.

Plus, if he doesn't like Montreal because they're tough on players, how's he going to react to Philly fans who are from the same mold?
We are different from Montreal, and it's a big time difference. He can't even go out of his house he said in Montreal. That's pretty bad. We love our athletes, but we do give them space and respect. Look at Cliff Lee, he lives down in one of the busier parts of the city, but your never hear anything about him being bothered(in most cases.)

Not even saying he does get traded, but just a player to keep and eye on because of his circumstances. Just a player to watch.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:51 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
We are different from Montreal, and it's a big time difference. He can't even go out of his house he said in Montreal. That's pretty bad. We love our athletes, but we do give them space and respect. Look at Cliff Lee, he lives down in one of the busier parts of the city, but your never hear anything about him being bothered(in most cases.)

Not even saying he does get traded, but just a player to keep and eye on because of his circumstances. Just a player to watch.
Oh, ok. I thought you were referring to them booing and turning on him in the playoffs. Yeah, that would be miserable and I can see why he would want out. Unfortunately for him and any potential trade partner, I don't see Montreal letting him go. He's Quick/Bobrovsky/Pavelec like athleticism on a 6'3" frame. If he could get his head on straight, there's no doubt he could be one of the best goalies in the league.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
LOL Coburn+Hartnell would easily get us Ryan OR Sbisa. It would be a horrible deal from our perspective.
I'm not so sure. It isn't a deal I would do really from either perspective. I think Coburn and Sbisa are on the same level, with Sbisa having more time to improve and being more likely to improve. Throw in Hartnell and it is an overpayment for the Flyers, but still not a deal I think the Ducks would do. For one I'm not so sure the Ducks have the cap space, at least according to capgeek. Then you also have to look at what the Ducks are valuing more. Do they want to jettison a promising young defender for two players on the downslope of their careers? Maybe, but I would be surprised. Hartnell and Coburn are still valuable players, despite what people say on this message board, but I don't see the Ducks making that deal for Sbisa. I think it is even less likely for Bobby Ryan for the same reasons.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
ahthorne

Sbisa isn't that great at all. At this point, Coburn > Sbisa. Sbisa does have youth and cap in his favour but the Ducks aren't lacking in young defenders (Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen) but two players who will be 33 and 37 in Beauchemin and Souray are their only reliable veterans - and calling Souray reliable is being generous. I think it's obvious that Coburn needs a reliable partner and one who can move the puck in order to be successful, much of why I think he'd be a great fit on the Ducks. Pretty sure many Ducks fans would agree!

Closed Thread