HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luke Schenn to the Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2013, 07:33 AM
  #76
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
I watched a lot of TML games and I don't see how JVR got much better.He was an impact player during parts of the season but also was invisible for stretches. That is why he was dealt out of Philly. I am still a fan of the guy but I am glad the Flyers dealt him instead of Voracek or Simmonds.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:38 AM
  #77
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
I would love to see the sens get rundblad back somehow
Ottawa didn't draft Rundblad.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
  #78
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Why do we want Schenn back again exactly? He ended his tenure terribly here. Couldn't skate the puck out, couldn't get off a first pass, and his mobility was a huge issue. Realistically, he's a #4 defensive d-man at best that needs a good partner who can carry/pass puck out of pressure situations. I don't need to get on a tangent about JVR, he's been nothing short of a beast since he's gotten here. His combination of speed, size, and skill make his ceiling the highest of any leaf player. Whether he taps that is another story, but he's already proven himself as a top 6, at the very least, and was on pace for 30+ goals this year.

There are better alternatives on the trade market right now that would cost a lot less. (Michalek comes to mind, maybe even guys like Redmond) There's still that prospect aura effect on Schenn, but I think he's pretty close to what he is at this point.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:18 AM
  #79
DPyro
Registered User
 
DPyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I watched a lot of TML games and I don't see how JVR got much better.He was an impact player during parts of the season but also was invisible for stretches.
Congrats on describing every goal scorer in the league.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:40 AM
  #80
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
we traded Wendel Clarke when he was a young high draft pick and he found his way back to the leafs
He was hardly young when he was traded.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:54 AM
  #81
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Why do we want Schenn back again exactly? He ended his tenure terribly here. Couldn't skate the puck out, couldn't get off a first pass, and his mobility was a huge issue. Realistically, he's a #4 defensive d-man at best that needs a good partner who can carry/pass puck out of pressure situations. I don't need to get on a tangent about JVR, he's been nothing short of a beast since he's gotten here. His combination of speed, size, and skill make his ceiling the highest of any leaf player. Whether he taps that is another story, but he's already proven himself as a top 6, at the very least, and was on pace for 30+ goals this year.

There are better alternatives on the trade market right now that would cost a lot less. (Michalek comes to mind, maybe even guys like Redmond) There's still that prospect aura effect on Schenn, but I think he's pretty close to what he is at this point.
Talk about completely discrediting a guy while pumping up another. Most Flyers fans had pretty low expectations for Luke coming into this season, but he was a pleasant surprise on an otherwise pretty awful team. He's playing for a coach that certainly doesn't do any favors for his defensemen, but his skating, first pass, and positional play were all significantly better when compared to his Leaf days. To say he's a number four at best is underselling him.

JVR is a good player, and I'm glad he's produced for Toronto. But like his days in Philly, there were stretches where he would disappear and become a non-factor. He needs to find more consistency if he wants to turn into the first line forward he was drafted to be. As it stands, he's a good second liner behind Kessel and Lupul.

And I find it laughable that people seem to be convinced that Schenn is done developing, but JVR isn't, even though defensemen typically have a much longer development curve. Both guys still have a couple of years before they can be considered finished products.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:24 AM
  #82
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Leafs could really use a big defensive, physical right handed dman. He was always very popular in toronto. The only reason we traded him was because jvr came along and we really need a player like him. What would it take to get Schenn back in Toronto? Untouchabes are Phaneuf, Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, Rielly, Riemer
Sorry, But Luke is a keeper. I thought he played great for us this year and look forward as he continues to grow. The guy is a beast who knows his role on the team well. Blocks shots and hits,plus he is right handed which the Flyers needed. The young man is just a very steady pro. I am glad the trade worked out well for both teams. JVR needed to move on as it seemed he was always hurt or disappeared for large periods of time.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:27 AM
  #83
Liferleafer
Low expectations
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Talk about completely discrediting a guy while pumping up another. Most Flyers fans had pretty low expectations for Luke coming into this season, but he was a pleasant surprise on an otherwise pretty awful team. He's playing for a coach that certainly doesn't do any favors for his defensemen, but his skating, first pass, and positional play were all significantly better when compared to his Leaf days. To say he's a number four at best is underselling him.

JVR is a good player, and I'm glad he's produced for Toronto. But like his days in Philly, there were stretches where he would disappear and become a non-factor. He needs to find more consistency if he wants to turn into the first line forward he was drafted to be. As it stands, he's a good second liner behind Kessel and Lupul.

And I find it laughable that people seem to be convinced that Schenn is done developing, but JVR isn't, even though defensemen typically have a much longer development curve. Both guys still have a couple of years before they can be considered finished products.
If Philly can fix this problem, you'll have a really good player IMO. I liked Luke when he was here, but all of his prblems originated from his poor skating. He to often got caught out of position and couldn't recover.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
  #84
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If Philly can fix this problem, you'll have a really good player IMO. I liked Luke when he was here, but all of his prblems originated from his poor skating. He to often got caught out of position and couldn't recover.
Remember the rookie Luke Schenn? When he could skate and didn't put on all that weight?

If that guy is still in him.. He'll make JVR forgotten.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  #85
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Talk about completely discrediting a guy while pumping up another. Most Flyers fans had pretty low expectations for Luke coming into this season, but he was a pleasant surprise on an otherwise pretty awful team. He's playing for a coach that certainly doesn't do any favors for his defensemen, but his skating, first pass, and positional play were all significantly better when compared to his Leaf days. To say he's a number four at best is underselling him.

JVR is a good player, and I'm glad he's produced for Toronto. But like his days in Philly, there were stretches where he would disappear and become a non-factor. He needs to find more consistency if he wants to turn into the first line forward he was drafted to be. As it stands, he's a good second liner behind Kessel and Lupul.

And I find it laughable that people seem to be convinced that Schenn is done developing, but JVR isn't, even though defensemen typically have a much longer development curve. Both guys still have a couple of years before they can be considered finished products.
Sorry but I didn't intend my post to be that way. However, I've followed him closely on Philly (and he is the best defenseman on the team, by default) but he is still very reminiscent of his days in Toronto. He's not as terrible as he was last year (because no defenseman can look good in Ron Wilson's headless chicken, run and gun system) but he still lacks the mobility, first pass/carry puck ability you need to be anything more than a 2nd pairing defenseman, at the very best.

He's just not adept enough at those facets to be relied upon for the top pairing. Forget about his usage on the PP, which many top pairing defenseman should realistically be adept at, in the league we have today. While I don't deny he can get better, I also think it's pretty evident his upside is significantly lower than his counter-part. And I understand I'm beating a broken drum when I say that, but inevitably, JVR is who he'll be compared to for at least, the next 4-5 years.

I still stand by the fact he isn't a top pairing defenseman nor will he ever realistically be one. I don't think that's selling him short. We can agree to disagree but my intentions weren't to pump my own tires. You can read my post history. I've never been a fan of Schenn and would have added a 1st to get the JVR deal done (even when Flyers were demanding a 2nd to be added). I like many players on the Flyers, Voracek, Simmonds are two of them. I'm just not particularly a fan of Schenn, and it has nothing to do with the fact we traded him away. I admit though, I watch my fair share of flyer games just to see how he's doing. Not because I want him to fail, because I'm genuinely curious in his development since we've invested a lot of effort into him.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:23 PM
  #86
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Registered User
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
While I'd take Luke back in a heartbeat (he'd excel under Carlyle, IMO) there is 0% chance this happens
I feel the same way. Plus considering that both the Leafs and Flyers along with each others fan bases are happy with the JVR/Schenn trade, that's another reason why it's a 0% chance Schenn gets traded back to the Leafs.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
  #87
Liferleafer
Low expectations
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Remember the rookie Luke Schenn? When he could skate and didn't put on all that weight?

If that guy is still in him.. He'll make JVR forgotten.
Again, i always liked Luke, but i don't remember him ever being a great skater.


Last edited by Liferleafer: 05-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
  #88
MakeTheIronSing
Registered User
 
MakeTheIronSing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Paraphrasing a recent article, "There's little coincidence that the Flyers found themselves out of the playoffs while giving Luke Schenn nearly 20 minutes of ice time a night".

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:36 PM
  #89
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,906
vCash: 500
I find it funny that Luke Schenn had supposedly little to no value while playing for Toronto, but once he goes to Philly he has become a stud and a definitive keeper while playing the exact same game he did here.

I don't hold anything against Luke, he was a great physical defender, willing to sacrifice the body to block a shot or throw a hit. His largest holdback will always be that he just isn't a very good skater at all. If he had some legs, he would easily be a top pairing guy, but instead it appears he is destined to be an excellent #4.

We could have used Luke's presence in our last series against Boston, but I wouldn't want him back at the expense of JVR who is the big bodied forward we need, and is signed to a great deal.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  #90
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
I'd do Gardiner + Percy/Biggs + 2nd 2014 but it's quality for quantity and highly doubt Philly would touch it. Don't think he'll be coming back , especially without including the players you have highlighted.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.