HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 07:44 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
we need to keep Coutts, let him work on his skating, and have him develop his trolling skills to make him that much more an effective shut down man, take the roll to a whole new level

Old
05-18-2013, 10:13 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd do Hartnell, Coburn and our 2nd for Ryan and Sbisa.
Even better.

Coming from a sensible Ducks fan, this deal is perfectly suitable for us. We're trading a guy whose contract is expiring for a grittier top-6 winger under contract for 6 more years. And we're getting an upgrade from Sbisa to Coburn that immediately solidifies our defense. It seems to fit the bill of exactly what Murray was saying in his exit interview as well (about our team not being the same next year, adding more toughness and experience).

Old
05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I can see the Bobby Ryan train is in full go again.

To the ducks fan above, I think Im one of the few guys here that doesnt do the deal. Hartnell has an average half a season and people are trading him again. You guys are definitely wining the trade there.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
BringBackStevens

I liked Sbisa a lot when we had him, but he hasn't progressed as much as expected. I'd be lukewarm on a deal like that.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
smellanby
Rookie User

Hartnell is not going anywhere.

The Ducks just spent a bunch of money on Getzy and Perry, doubt they will be willing to take on an incredibly overpaid guy like Coburn. With,his injury trouble and downward spiral of play, they wouldn't even do Sbisa for Coby straight up.

Love to see Sbisa back in Philly though.

Somebody is going to have to grossly overpay for Ryan, Ducks do not need to move him. So the hypothetical "hey, take 10 mil worth of salary and a second rounder for two of your best young players" stuff ain't happening.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
lowdesertpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
we need to keep Coutts, let him work on his skating, and have him develop his trolling skills to make him that much more an effective shut down man, take the roll to a whole new level

Couturier is the key player for us next year. It would be nice to have him play on the second line. Push Schenn to the wing and let Couturier be the Bergeron on our team.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Gagne - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - xxx - Talbot
Rosehill

Holmgren will probably blow it up thou.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdesertpunk View Post
Couturier is the key player for us next year. It would be nice to have him play on the second line. Push Schenn to the wing and let Couturier be the Bergeron on our team.

Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Gagne - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - xxx - Talbot
Rosehill

Holmgren will probably blow it up thou.
Lavi only sees Couturier as a third line center and Schenn is more effective at the center position than the wing.

Read - Schenn - Simmonds
xxx- Couturier - xxx
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot
Rosehill

Old
05-18-2013, 11:58 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellanby View Post

The Ducks just spent a bunch of money on Getzy and Perry, doubt they will be willing to take on an incredibly overpaid guy like Coburn. With,his injury trouble and downward spiral of play, they wouldn't even do Sbisa for Coby straight up.

Somebody is going to have to grossly overpay for Ryan, Ducks do not need to move him. So the hypothetical "hey, take 10 mil worth of salary and a second rounder for two of your best young players" stuff ain't happening.
I wouldn't say that. Anaheim dropped the asking price for Ryan from last summer earlier this year. To me it would seem like they're trying to move him. I don't think they'll move him for peanuts but I don't think it will be an overpayment neither.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
For unless I miss my guess, we're in for one wild summer. (again)

Old
05-18-2013, 12:01 PM
lowdesertpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Lavi only sees Couturier as a third line center and Schenn is more effective at the center position than the wing.

Read - Schenn - Simmonds
xxx- Couturier - xxx
Rosehill

Schenn`s defence is not that effective. losing 6-5 is pretty sweet isn`t it.

I really have to practice to write in english more.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:07 PM
smellanby
Rookie User

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. Anaheim dropped the asking price for Ryan from last summer earlier this year. To me it would seem like they're trying to move him. I don't think they'll move him for peanuts but I don't think it will be an overpayment neither.
Ryan just seems like the deal that never happens. Anaheim isn't in cap trouble, so a top six fwd or a top 2-3 Dman will have to come back along w prospect / pick.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdesertpunk View Post
Schenn`s defence is not that effective. losing 6-5 is pretty sweet isn`t it.

I really have to practice to write in english more.
I don't think Schenn's defense is that bad. I think he's much better offensively when slotted in the center spot though.

The times he spent on the wing this year you barely noticed him during games.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
ahthorne

Well, I don't necessarily care about what line Couturier and Schenn are on compared to who they play with ... I'd love to see Couturier with Simmonds again like they were during parts at end of the season.

xxx - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - xxx
xxx - Couturier - Simmonds

Read could go anywhere in the top-9. Likely with Couturier would be the place to be. Now possibilities for the other two spots could be a prospect like McGinn or Akeson or a returning player like Gagne, or a UFA. I'm hoping they go with McGinn/Akeson and a decent UFA (Jagr!) ...

McGinn - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - B. Schenn - Jagr
Read - Couturier - Simmonds
Rosehill

Coburn - Timonen
Gustafsson - L. Schenn
Grossmann - Meszaros/???
Gervais

AHL/prospects: 2013 1st rounder, 2013 2nd rounder, etc. ... Akeson, Flanagan, Straka, Cousins, Noebels, Wellwood, Holmstrom, Mathers, Lauridsen, Manning, Alt, Bourdon, Konan, Syvret ...

1a Mason
1b Emery

I think Bryzgalov will be moved, but only if the team finds a suitable 2nd goaltender. Prospect pool looks way better, lineup looks balanced and the cap situation looks pretty good.

Jagr and Emery replace Bryzgalov and Briere for cheaper and probably better production. Tye McGinn can play anywhere in the top-9 but I'd like to see him with with Schenn or Giroux. If our 2013 1st rounder is Ristolainen I think Ristolainen could come in and play bottom-pairing minutes with Grossmann. That would make Meszaros moveable.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Ryan just seems like the deal that never happens. Anaheim isn't in cap trouble, so a top six fwd or a top 2-3 Dman will have to come back along w prospect / pick.
Well they went from asking for Schenn and Couturier last summer to just Couturier as the centerpiece around the deadline.

I don't think cap problems have anything to do with it. Outside of Getzlaf they really have no center options. Ryan's a good trade piece who might leave in two years when his deal is up. I would say those are more of factors in why they might move him.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
smellanby
Rookie User

Quote:

The times he spent on the wing this year you barely noticed him during games.
I agree that Schenn is a better center, but you hit the nail on the head with his consistency. Brayden has to find away to bring his A game every night. Until that happens, he can't Be counted on to hold down a top 6 spot on a Cup contending team. Center or wing.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
smellanby
Rookie User

Quote:
Well they went from asking for Schenn and Couturier last summer to just Couturier as the centerpiece around the deadline.

I don't think cap problems have anything to do with it. Outside of Getzlaf they really have no center options. Ryan's a good trade piece who might likely leave in two years when his deal is up.
I'd be surprised if the Ducks still make that move. They are built to win now, and most GMs would be reluctant to slate Cooter in as a second line center after last year. Potential only goes so far, and Ryan is a proven commodity.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Read - Schenn - Simmonds
xxx- Couturier - xxx
Rosehill
Couturier in the third spot is perfectly fine. I know some want the traditional two offensive line - one checking/offense line - one energy line format, but I like the idea of having four good lines to play against because it causes match up problems.

The problem with that third line is who do you put on the line? Do you let McGinn and Akeson fill out the roster spots on the third line or do you re-sign a veteran like Gagne and let McGinn and Akeson fight it out for the right wing spot? I'd say let McGinn and Akeson have the spots, but then some would scream that the team is too young and that the Flyers would still need a veteran presence.

I can see that the third line is going to be a tough spot to fill. It'll be one of the things to watch over the summer to see what the Flyers do to fill that line.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Couturier in the third spot is perfectly fine. I know some want the traditional two offensive line - one checking/offense line - one energy line format, but I like the idea of having four good lines to play against because it causes match up problems.

The problem with that third line is who do you put on the line? Do you let McGinn and Akeson fill out the roster spots on the third line or do you re-sign a veteran like Gagne and let McGinn and Akeson fight it out for the right wing spot? I'd say let McGinn and Akeson have the spots, but then some would scream that the team is too young and that the Flyers would still need a veteran presence.

I can see that the third line is going to be a tough spot to fill. It'll be one of the things to watch over the summer to see what the Flyers do to fill that line.
I don't mind Couturier there for now. I'm just hoping he can give us a little more offense this year and hopefully Lavi gives him a little more opportunities to do so. The Read/Schenn/Simmonds line showed some nice chemistry late into the season so I wouldn't want to break them up yet. If we acquire a top 6 guy Read or Simmonds could move down though.

The third line will be a little tricky assuming we basically stay still this summer. I don't mind Gagne coming back but if there's a better option out there I would like to explore it. I'm not really sold on Akeson yet. I would probably go with a vet and McGinn. I feel like McGinn would give you more than Akeson at this point.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
smellanby
Rookie User

Scott Hartnell - Claude Giroux - Jacub Voracek
Chris Stewart - Brayden Schenn - Wayne Simmonds
Tye Mcginn - Matt Read - Max Talbot
Jay Rosehill - Scott Laughton - Zac Rinaldo

Kevin Shattenkirk - Kimmo Timmonen
Luke Schenn - Eric Gustavson
Nik Grossmann - Oliver Lauridsen / Brandon Manning
Bruno Gervais

Tim Thomas
Steve Mason

Head coach: Craig Berube

Gone- Cooter, Coby / Mez and a first for Shatty, Stewart

Briere and Bryz bought out

Lavvy to dry island

Last edited by smellanby: 05-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
ahthorne

Akeson is poor defensively. That would be my biggest deterrent.

McGinn brings size, grit and to be honest I think he can survive a full season and put up decent numbers (10+ goals) if not more and continue with the Flyers identity of a hard-hitting team that is physical on the forecheck. That's the identity that I think Laviolette wants to bring - fast, physical, dynamic. Like Giroux in the series against the Penguins ... out work your opponent!

Old
05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post

McGinn brings size, grit and to be honest I think he can survive a full season and put up decent numbers (10+ goals) if not more and continue with the Flyers identity of a hard-hitting team that is physical on the forecheck. That's the identity that I think Laviolette wants to bring - fast, physical, dynamic. Like Giroux in the series against the Penguins ... out work your opponent!
Is he really that bad defensively? I thought he was also a main PK guy for the Phantoms?

Old
05-18-2013, 01:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Is he really that bad defensively? I thought he was also a main PK guy for the Phantoms?
If we are talking about pre-last season ya Akeson was poor defensively. But you are right SS, he increased is defensive play so much he was used as one of their main PKers last season (on a pretty decent pk squad). Akeson isn't as bad on the defensive end like he used to be. He is probability about average to maybe alittle above now.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:35 PM
ahthorne

True, he has improved and he's a hard enough worker that he'll definitely keep improving. I'm thinking some more tutelage under Murray could turn him into a nice two-way player, but then again many feel he has the offensive tools to produce in the NHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see either Akeson or McGinn in the NHL.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:

Coburn injury trouble? As much as I dislike him, one thing he has going tor him is his durability. The guy has only had one injury that caused him to miss significant time since he's been in the NHL and that was this year

Injuries are not a concern with regards to Coburn

Also, I don't understand why some of you want Jagr back. For one thing, he's old and will be taking ice time away from a young player, who SHOULD be getting ice time with the position this team is in. And another thing, has anyone watched him during the playoffs? He simple doesn't cut it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Jagr when he was here last year, but we shouldnt be bringing back a 42 year old who expects to get top minutes and will most likely wear down once the playoffs begin

Old
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
smellanby
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Coburn injury trouble? As much as I dislike him, one thing he has going tor him is his durability. The guy has only had one injury that caused him to miss significant time since he's been in the NHL and that was this year

Injuries are not a concern with regards to Coburn

Also, I don't understand why some of you want Jagr back. For one thing, he's old and will be taking ice time away from a young player, who SHOULD be getting ice time with the position this team is in. And another thing, has anyone watched him during the playoffs? He simple doesn't cut it anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Jagr when he was here last year, but we shouldnt be bringing back a 42 year old who expects to get top minutes and will most likely wear down once the playoffs begin
Jagr is water under the bridge now. His absence had a greater effect than Homer planned for, but you're right, silly to bring him back now as his value was overstated this year due to the shortened season.

Coburn has steadily gotten worse and he just had major shoulder surgery. Not a good combo.

Closed Thread