HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 11:02 AM
wingnutks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
He probably meant the 3 goals given up from behind the goal line and banked off his ass.
They all werent in the same game lol.

I missed last nights game, was the game as close as the score shows, or was the game as lopsided as the PP and shots on goal shows?

Old
05-18-2013, 11:03 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

In 2011, returning from injury Spezza had 7 pts in his first 5 games, then 9 points in 8 games the next injury. 2010 he had 8 points in 6 with a point in every game, then had 5 in the 2 games after going scoreless once. 11 points in 9 after his next injury... Any Sens fan can tell you that some of the best hockey we saw from Spezza over those two years came right after he recovered from injury (mostly back). Obviously there's no guarantee that happens again but there's a huge difference between Spez and Karlsson that people are forgetting: Karlsson worked extremely hard to come back as early as possible. Spezza just doesn't do that. He's not that kind of player, which could be a bad thing but is also a good thing in the sense that he doesn't really have too much of an adjustment period. Whatever, we will see how it goes and if he even comes back at all next game.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:09 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
They all werent in the same game lol.

I missed last nights game, was the game as close as the score shows, or was the game as lopsided as the PP and shots on goal shows?
Nah, I thought he said Games 2 and 4 though which is when the majority of those happened.

Last night was kinda weird. Pens definitely dominated at times but when you only win by one goal it's hard to say it was a lopsided game. Outcome was very much in doubt in the 3rd period. Vokoun let in a couple softies but also made 2 huge breakaway saves.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:14 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Nah, I thought he said Games 2 and 4 though which is when the majority of those happened.

Last night was kinda weird. Pens definitely dominated at times but when you only win by one goal it's hard to say it was a lopsided game. Outcome was very much in doubt in the 3rd period. Vokoun let in a couple softies but also made 2 huge breakaway saves.
So, was the shot descrepancy because of the PP? Was Anderson pulled or injured?

Old
05-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Lebowski

I don't want to open an old can of worms... But it's been pretty much 7 games that Karlsson has been terrible. His skating definitely has something off after coming back [too fast?] from his injury. He's just getting consistently beat from the outside. Dupuis in game 1, Crosby on his goal, Cooke (from which Karlsson got a penalty for hooking).

At least it seems Maclean is starting to realize it and he's not playing him 30 minutes a night like he did against the Habs.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I don't want to open an old can of worms... But it's been pretty much 7 games that Karlsson has been terrible. His skating definitely has something off after coming back [too fast?] from his injury. He's just getting consistently beat from the outside. Dupuis in game 1, Crosby on his goal, Cooke (from which Karlsson got a penalty for hooking).

At least it seems Maclean is starting to realize it and he's not playing him 30 minutes a night like he did against the Habs.
No he hasn't been good but he was less of a liability against the Habs. The Pens are just that much better, IMO.

See Bieksa's comments on recovering from a similar injury. It takes about a full year to regain strength and get back to normal.

As of now he's gone from far-and-away our best player to one of our worst. He's trying to do too much and the range of what he's actually able to do has been reduced. It's not fun to watch.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Lebowski

Obviously, the Pens have much more firepower than the Habs, but even in the first round, Karlsson's skating, which used to be his biggest asset, was exposed by fast skating players.

At this point it might be a better idea to just sit him. I don't see the advantages of keeping him in the way he's playing.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Obviously, the Pens have much more firepower than the Habs, but even in the first round, Karlsson's skating, which used to be his biggest asset, was exposed by fast skating players.

At this point it might be a better idea to just sit him. I don't see the advantages of keeping him in the way he's playing.
The only other current alternative is Mike Lundin.

I think If Karlsson can learn to play within his current limitations consistently (which he has done on occasion, even in this series), he's still the better option.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Ottawa should forfeit Games 3 and 4 out of respect for the awe-inspiring Pens lineup. They don't deserve to share the same ice surface.

Any better?

dont worry. The pens will choke a few games to us.

Isnt it about time Malkin starts becoming invisible yet?!!?

Old
05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post

dont worry. The pens will choke a few games to us.

Isnt it about time Malkin starts becoming invisible yet?!!?
I hope it was clear that I was not being sincere, I fully expect the Sens to make this a long series. I just wanted to do better than 1/10.

As for Malkin, he has the uncanny ability to be either invisible or outright bad and still put up big points. Surprised the Sens haven't tried to get/gotten under his skin a little more though.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
SenateReform

Karlsson hasn't played well but I could see him still producing lots of offense if Spezza returns. His breakout pass and his vision on the PP are still some of the Sens best assets even if his skating and defensive play is a liability at this point.

Sens will need to win these next 2 to stay in the series. Anderson will have to stand on his head and the Sens will need to drive hard to the net and put lots of shots on Vokoun.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Karlsson hasn't played well but I could see him still producing lots of offense if Spezza returns. His breakout pass and his vision on the PP are still some of the Sens best assets even if his skating and defensive play is a liability at this point.

Sens will need to win these next 2 to stay in the series. Anderson will have to stand on his head and the Sens will need to drive hard to the net and put lots of shots on Vokoun.
Agreed. That is where a majority of our chances and goals are coming from. Vokoun does not have good rebound or puck control, we just need to get in there and screen/crash the net all game long. Screw trying to be fancy and trying to get nice goals. the only way we are going to stay in it, is if we go hard in front and around the net.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Buzzkiller

Not saying that the biggest reason for Karlsson struggling in this series isn't his injury, but this isn't the first time he's looked bad against the Pens. When you're not that big/strong of a guy, you're going to have trouble against players like Crosby and Malkin, even if you were playing 100% healthy. It just seems so much worse now that he can't skate like he would when he's healthy.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Agreed. That is where a majority of our chances and goals are coming from. Vokoun does not have good rebound or puck control, we just need to get in there and screen/crash the net all game long. Screw trying to be fancy and trying to get nice goals. the only way we are going to stay in it, is if we go hard in front and around the net.
Yup, Greening has been doing a good job with it this series and its worked. I want to see Michalek do more of the same, instead I forget he's even on the the ice for most of the game.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Yup, Greening has been doing a good job with it this series and its worked. I want to see Michalek do more of the same, instead I forget he's even on the the ice for most of the game.
Michalek? wait......what? he was dressed last game?! lol

Old
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Quote:
So, was the shot descrepancy because of the PP? Was Anderson pulled or injured?
Pens dominated 5 on 5 but lost the special teams. It was the flip of game 1, except the Penguins were still able to win. And Anderson got pulled.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Pens dominated 5 on 5 but lost the special teams. It was the flip of game 1, except the Penguins were still able to win. And Anderson got pulled.
This is actually a very solid post to sum up the game. 5 on 5... Pens were tremendous. First 12 minutes were beyond incredible. Ottawa won the special teams battle big time even though outnumbered in PP to PK.

Good stuff, Ogre. As usual.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Man... even the sardonic attempts to troll one another's fan base around here is weak. Coaches seem to respect one another with DB giving a tremendous amount of props. Even stated PM deserves the Jack Adams award (which i agree). EK has given props to Sid and put away all the crap the media has done w/ Cooke/EK injury.

This is one unusual playoff series. Even Pens fans aren't pissed when Neil starts trying to gain momentum for the Sens because we notice it works and is needed.

And the other thing Pens fans aren't doing is dogging Anderson because we have Fleury on our side.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Ian Mendes‏@ian_mendes2m
Jason Spezza is on the ice for practice and is not wearing the grey jersey anymore. Wearing the No. 1 line white.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Ian Mendes‏@ian_mendes2m
Jason Spezza is on the ice for practice and is not wearing the grey jersey anymore. Wearing the No. 1 line white.
Cautiously -ing.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:55 PM
NumberOneCooke*

Cooke has been awesome this series.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
Cautiously -ing.
I just hope they don't bring him back if it could hinder his progress. Similar to EK. EK should have been out all season and taken this time to rebuild his Achilles. It's one of the toughest injuries because you might be mentally ready, but not physically as we have seen.

But hey - it could also act as a spark to really rejuvenate that crowd and locker room.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:10 PM
djt153

what surprises me about ek is that his lateral movements and quickness seem to be there, but just not the top gear. wouldve expected that it wouldve been an all or nothing type thing.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:11 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just hope they don't bring him back if it could hinder his progress. Similar to EK. EK should have been out all season and taken this time to rebuild his Achilles. It's one of the toughest injuries because you might be mentally ready, but not physically as we have seen.

But hey - it could also act as a spark to really rejuvenate that crowd and locker room.
I hope that doesn't happen.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:12 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
Ian Mendes‏@ian_mendes2m
That'd be excellent. A rusty, slow, soft player taking up a valuable #1 Centre roster spot is just what the doctor ordered!

Closed Thread