HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 01:14 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
That'd be excellent. A rusty, slow, soft player taking up a valuable #1 Centre roster spot is just what the doctor ordered!
Isn't Spezza known to come back firing at all cylinders after an injury?

Old
05-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just hope they don't bring him back if it could hinder his progress. Similar to EK. EK should have been out all season and taken this time to rebuild his Achilles. It's one of the toughest injuries because you might be mentally ready, but not physically as we have seen.

But hey - it could also act as a spark to really rejuvenate that crowd and locker room.
It would be a major gain.

Even if he's not 100% just having him in the line-up helps our match-up game since we can stop pretending Kyle Turris is a #1 C.

If the doctors don't think playing will set either back in their progress I'd believe them. That's the prognosis on EK and I think the only thing being hindered currently is EK's pride. It was also primarily his decision to return. He'll get some more sheltering at home.

We'll see how it goes with Spezza.

I think we're still a better team with those two even when they're at less than 100%. If they can play they should. This is the playoffs dammit.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:15 PM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Come on man. Their star player is just returning after months of rehab due to a back surgery and you want our tough guy to lay him out? As much as I love seeing Orpik hit and get us the momentum, the least I want is for our guys to go after their star player who just returned from an injury.
Yes. Orpik is capable of laying out a big clean hit, there is nothing wrong with it. It's hockey, if he's not ready don't play. You think any other teams are going to let up on any of our guys? If you want the cup you have to take it.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:15 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
I just hope they don't bring him back if it could hinder his progress. Similar to EK. EK should have been out all season and taken this time to rebuild his Achilles. It's one of the toughest injuries because you might be mentally ready, but not physically as we have seen.

But hey - it could also act as a spark to really rejuvenate that crowd and locker room.
Karlsson returning would not hider his progress, if anything It might help. EK can do no further damage to that injury. I imagine Spezza is ready, he didnt rush back. He is beyond schedule from what was expected earlier in the year.

Also those thinking Spezza won't be effective are kidding themselves.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Karlsson returning would not hider his progress, if anything It might help. EK can do no further damage to that injury. I imagine Spezza is ready, he didnt rush back. He is beyond schedule from what was expected earlier in the year.

Also those thinking Spezza won't be effective are kidding themselves.
Ummm did anyone say Spezza would not be effective?

And I disagree with you about EK. People don't realize just how hard it is to strengthen and be NHL ready after an Achilles injury. It's not easy and it's not something fun to come back to and be limited in skating. Everything you are taught in hockey works when you have confidence in your abilities. Right now, EK is looking up to the sky wondering why he can't do what he could before. It's because he's limited in skating.

But nonetheless, after a long offseason of building strength, he might be better than he ever was. I saw it happen to a lot of athletes in my life.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:19 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
That'd be excellent. A rusty, slow, soft player taking up a valuable #1 Centre roster spot is just what the doctor ordered!
Why is Spezza slow all of a sudden?

Old
05-18-2013, 01:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
It would be a major gain.

Even if he's not 100% just having him in the line-up helps our match-up game since we can stop pretending Kyle Turris is a #1 C.

If the doctors don't think playing will set either back in their progress I'd believe them. That's the prognosis on EK and I think the only thing being hindered currently is EK's pride. It was also primarily his decision to return. He'll get some more sheltering at home.

We'll see how it goes with Spezza.

I think we're still a better team with those two even when they're at less than 100%. If they can play they should. This is the playoffs dammit.
By the way, man.... I just saw your GDT yesterday in the Sens board and it was freaking awesome. Kudos to that.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:23 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Ummm did anyone say Spezza would not be effective?

And I disagree with you about EK. People don't realize just how hard it is to strengthen and be NHL ready after an Achilles injury. It's not easy and it's not something fun to come back to and be limited in skating. Everything you are taught in hockey works when you have confidence in your abilities. Right now, EK is looking up to the sky wondering why he can't do what he could before. It's because he's limited in skating.

But nonetheless, after a long offseason of building strength, he might be better than he ever was. I saw it happen to a lot of athletes in my life.
Obviously the strength isn't there yet, no doubt about it. And yes his skating is limited. But playing isn't going to hinder is progress at all, that's what I was arguing.

There's been a few comments about Spezza that have me scratching my head.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
NumberOneCooke*

The Pens have historically dominated Jason Spezza. Just throwing that out there.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
HarveySpecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneCooke View Post
The Pens have historically dominated Jason Spezza. Just throwing that out there.
Maybe he should just retire then

Old
05-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Is there anything to compare this to? He's been out for almost 4 months with this injury.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

I think bring Spezza back would do more bad than good for the Sens.

We'll see.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
ronnyweed

Post the video of spezza chasing Crosby behind his own net leading to a goal, and that's how tomorrow night will look. Only difference is spezza will be half as fast.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
I think it was the 09 season when spezza came back from an inury and made us lose the possibiity of Tavares, so yes. I dont expect spezza to help much offensively and do things he does offensively right away, he can help us in the pp for sure and put everyybody back in their right places. Turris as #2 and the rookies play more of the bottom 6. Just having him in the lineup creates space for the sens young guys. I think him coming back will help Turris the most, im gonna be watching Turris in game 3 for sure.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Post the video of spezza chasing Crosby behind his own net leading to a goal, and that's how tomorrow night will look. Only difference is spezza will be half as fast.
See, I love that video for how awesome Crosby looks, but Spezza played it pretty much perfectly. Even though he couldn't take the puck off Crosby he kept him to the outside and denied him a good shooting lane. The goal happens because the Senators winger wasn't covering his point.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 2 min
“Spezza’s back!” - An excited Sens fan and/or a surgeon’s answer to the question “What will you be operating on again by Monday morning?”

Old
05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneCooke View Post
Jason Spezza career vs. Pittsburgh: 33 GP, 16 goals, 26 assists for 42 points.

Domination indeed.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
AxeGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
As for Malkin, he has the uncanny ability to be either invisible or outright bad and still put up big points. Surprised the Sens haven't tried to get/gotten under his skin a little more though.
I did enjoy Zack Smith's little 'meeting' with him early in the game last night......with Smith doing his usual chirping-with-a big-smile-on-his-face-the-whole-time thing

`

Old
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
WarriorScholar

Not sure why some people are downplaying spezza's return. Sure it remains to be seen how effective he can be but why would sens fans not be excited about their top player ( offense ) coming back?

Old
05-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Not sure why some people are downplaying spezza's return. Sure it remains to be seen how effective he can be but why would sens fans not be excited about their top player ( offense ) coming back?
Cause apparently he's a rusty, slow, soft player taking up a valuable #1 Centre roster spot.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Except Spezza played that perfectly and denied Crosby to the inside and a shooting lane?

That goal was the winger's fault.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I can't believe people are actually thinking Spezza will do more harm than good to the Sens. We're down 2-0, what more harm can be done?

Plus, Spezza is one of the most talented players in the league. You can't forget his season last year where he was fourth in the entire NHL in points.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
insomniac34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I can't believe people are actually thinking Spezza will do more harm than good to the Sens. We're down 2-0, what more harm can be done?

Plus, Spezza is one of the most talented players in the league. You can't forget his season last year where he was fourth in the entire NHL in points.
Yeah it'll certainly be a boon to your team. It's going to be VERY, very difficult to steal this next game from you guys. Your team and fanbase are going to be absolutely pumped. We Pens fans know a thing or two about the damage a star center returning from injury can dish out

Old
05-18-2013, 03:21 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

THat is just it. At the very least, he is going to draw significant attention when it comes to line match ups, which should give guys like Turris and Silfverberg a bit more freedom when they're on the ice.

His return changes the dynamic of Ottawa's offense, which should have an impact on the series. Will it be enough to allow ottawa to tie it up? Who knows, but its possible.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:22 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac34 View Post
Yeah it'll certainly be a boon to your team. It's going to be VERY, very difficult to steal this next game from you guys. Your team and fanbase are going to be absolutely pumped. We Pens fans know a thing or two about the damage a star center returning from injury can dish out
From the start I was just hoping that the Sens could make a lengthy series of it! IF Spezza and Karlsson had played at full strength from the start of the series I would have liked Ottawa's chances a bit more, but we'll see how it turns out!

Closed Thread