All purpose Nathan Horton thread

Old
05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
It's pretty clear the blame for this series falls on Bergeron/Marchand/Seguin. However, they do have 60 minutes to redeem themselves.
I blame the 3rd line , prolly more, because they play against far worse players then Bergy and are a horror show...not only not contributing scoring, but playing turnstyle defense...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I blame the 3rd line , prolly more, because they play against far worse players then Bergy and are a horror show...not only not contributing scoring, but playing turnstyle defense...
Fair enough. I'm more upset with the Bergeron line, since he and Marchand both had good seasons. The 3rd line was crap from day one so this was almost expected. It's off topic for this thread, but there's plenty of blame to go around. Hopefully we don't need to play the blame game tomorrow.

On Horton: I'll take him back, but I find it hard to justify giving him any sort of raise.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
WithOutPaperss

Horton is the least of our problems right now on offense.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
HockeyNovice

And don`t forget Hortons last two games.
Outstanding 0 points per Game
His backchecking is one of the best in the entire leage thats for sure.
This guy truely must be resigned.

HockeyNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 06:12 PM
DOGSTARMAN

I'm not sure if Horton can get back to the path he was on, where he was progressing with the Bruins to finally be the more complete power forward that he was projected to be. His injuries really set him back and IMO changed his style of play, leaving him as a streaky scorer who cannot win physical battles. He also now looks like the smallest big man in the game. He's, what, 6'2"? And was 220 lbs or more? He looks smaller now and certainly plays that way. His center of gravity seems way too high and he's easily knocked over. I don't know if he has literally lost a lot of weight and strength, but he looks like it.

It's too bad because I really liked him for the first half of his Bruins tenure. And what happened to him was not his fault. But it left him a different player. If he would come back for 2 years at a fair price, I'd take him. But I suspect he hears footsteps coming up on him every game now and wants the security of that one last big contract in case the worst happens. Maybe it works out or he does not find the suitors he hopes for. As always, if they move on from Horton, fine, but they will have to replace the goals.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Like I have said for awhile, for all the faults you can find in Horton's game, just show me how his goals will be replaced and letting him go is fine. The dude has a knack for getting some goals. We let Michael Ryder go, another imperfect guy who managed to put in some goals, and stil sometimes lament losing him, or not replacing him I guess. Again tonight, there he is with a goal that mattered.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

This comeback all was because of Horton's goal.

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Face Killah View Post
This comeback all was because of Horton's goal.
This come back is almost literally all Milan Lucic. Turned on beast mode and made it happen. Wow.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
This come back is almost literally all Milan Lucic. Turned on beast mode and made it happen. Wow.
Yeah you're right about that. But Horton is staying. Quote me on it.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:35 PM
patty59

Quote:
Yes, Lucic has been on another level this entire series.

Horton went 7GP 4-3--7 +11, this guy puts up points in the playoffs.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Gator Mike

I'm throwing it out there...

Nathan Horton tipped in that Game-tying goal.

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

What about the rest of his body of work in the play-offs?

2011?

3-3-6, 2 gwg +7 this year?

If Bergeron's line had a quarter of the production of his line this series would have ended in 5...
Lou, I appreciate the goals, I really do. I honestly thought he played really well in games 1 & 2. The rest of the way I do feel like he has been a byproduct of DK and Lucic playing with a purpose. And sorry, but for 4-5m per year I want more than a coat tail player.

We are up against the cap and I think we need something more consistent for that type of money. That is all I was trying to say.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:25 PM
patty59

Quote:
Lou, I appreciate the goals, I really do. I honestly thought he played really well in games 1 & 2. The rest of the way I do feel like he has been a byproduct of DK and Lucic playing with a purpose. And sorry, but for 4-5m per year I want more than a coat tail player.

We are up against the cap and I think we need something more consistent for that type of money. That is all I was trying to say.
I just wonder what other options are out there. I would hate to see him walk and then the Bruins turn around and replace him with garbage like Pouliot or something. Or worse yet, just think that career AHLer can fill in that spot.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

With 4 goals, 4 assists and a +/- of 12 in the playoffs, not to mention 13 goals and 9 assists with a +/- of 1 in the regular season, Horton is definitely leaving. Yup. He's gonna be gone after this season. Definitely.

Old
05-17-2013, 06:10 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
With 4 goals, 4 assists and a +/- of 12 in the playoffs, not to mention 13 goals and 9 assists with a +/- of 1 in the regular season, Horton is definitely leaving. Yup. He's gonna be gone after this season. Definitely.
As a former Horton supporter, I would not re-sign him. And I think he is not coming back next season. This post-season has done it for me. He is far too immobile and easy to knock off the puck. I will thank him for what he's done, let him go, and use that money elsewhere.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Number8

I don't claim to know how to approach the Horton situation -- but he's been good this playoff season.

That said, to those who suggest we sign him for 1 year at $2M (drama much?) I reserve the right to come back and call them on the inevitable "why did we let Horton go" posts if he leaves and plays well somewhere else.

The Ryder schizophrenia on these Boards was amusing. No doubt it will happen again with Horton if it happens to go that way:

Ryder sucks.
Trade him for a used Kleenex.
Jeez, Ryder is lighting it up in Dallas.
Why the hell did Chia let him go? We need SCORING. He's an idiot GM.
How the hell did Montreal get Ryder for Cole -- that's a steal. Why didn't we do it?
Ryder is a beast in Montreal -- he's going to kill us if we face them in playoffs.
Ryder's gone absent again.
Ryder sucks.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:26 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

I hear you.... I would easily do 4 mil per for him.... But he could get 5.5 on the open market easily... I would prolly not do 5 mil for him...BUT, he has proven thus far to be a play-off superstar, stats wise, and that is hard to find...

29gp 12-13-25...5 gwg... +23

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:06 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Puck seems to be bouncing on his stick? Seems like he gets it in great spots and then juggles a lot. Bad luck?

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

I have one question for all of you guys. Just exactly why do you think he won't come back? He has to accept the contract you know. He's a first line guy. Do you really think a first liner won't come back? He's on the first line for a reason.

Old
05-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
I have one question for all of you guys. Just exactly why do you think he won't come back? He has to accept the contract you know. He's a first line guy. Do you really think a first liner won't come back? He's on the first line for a reason.
Why? First he doesn't have to accept squat.

Most likely it will go:

Horton - I want $$$$$

Bruins - we can only offer $$$

Horton - see ya and thanks for the good times.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Why? First he doesn't have to accept squat.

Most likely it will go:

Horton - I want $$$$$

Bruins - we can only offer $$$

Horton - see ya and thanks for the good times.
Perhaps. But there are other factors beyond money. Even that is an unknown right now - will some other team(s) make him the proverbial offer he can't refuse? Would he take less to stay in Boston, with teammates he obviously cares for (and friends his wife and family have made)? Do the Bruins want to keep him? What if he gets a tremendous offer from, say, Dallas? Would he give up playing for an original six, contending team to go there?

There are many players who have followed the money, and ended up regretting it. I have no idea what makes Horton tick, or what's most important to him, beyond the fact that he's close to Lucic, and their wives are close friends as well, and that he has a couple of young children (I believe the oldest is probably in school now). But I think any sort of decision about his future with the team will be about more than money.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I'm not sure if Horton can get back to the path he was on, where he was progressing with the Bruins to finally be the more complete power forward that he was projected to be. His injuries really set him back and IMO changed his style of play, leaving him as a streaky scorer who cannot win physical battles. He also now looks like the smallest big man in the game. He's, what, 6'2"? And was 220 lbs or more? He looks smaller now and certainly plays that way. His center of gravity seems way too high and he's easily knocked over. I don't know if he has literally lost a lot of weight and strength, but he looks like it.

It's too bad because I really liked him for the first half of his Bruins tenure. And what happened to him was not his fault. But it left him a different player. If he would come back for 2 years at a fair price, I'd take him. But I suspect he hears footsteps coming up on him every game now and wants the security of that one last big contract in case the worst happens. Maybe it works out or he does not find the suitors he hopes for. As always, if they move on from Horton, fine, but they will have to replace the goals.
Exactly where I am w/ it. Will never forget what he did for us. I don't want to see goal scoring in any form walk away, and the guy has been clutch. But as Bruinz37 said, I don't want to overpay for a guy that needs a layup to contribute, either. Add we already have too many key players at risk to go down the tunnel due to another bump to the head. Lousy situation, but that's reality.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:07 AM
WithOutPaperss

I want Horty back. It's going to be Ryder 2.0 when (if) we get knocked out of the playoffs next year. People will question why we let such a clutch player go when we need scoring like that. 25 points in 29 playoff games? What more could you ask for? Who cares how many regular season games he plays like this if he plays when it matters...

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:22 PM
scotiahockey
Insider

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
Anyone remember Bergie's first year back after his MAJOR concussion?

If there is any way to keep Horton on the B's they should.

He scored the 3rd AND 4th goal in game 7 Vs. Toronto. (bergie got credit but nathan clearly tipped it)

Horton beat Montreal in the 7th game in OT, Breat TB in the 7th game by scoring the ONLY goal and saved the Bruins bacon in game 7 vs toronto. That is 3 series HE WON out of 4 he had the chance to win.

He is playing a bit timid at times and taking hard passes when he has a blind spot seems to be in his head, but that clutch-ness is still there. He will continue to gain confidence as time wears on. Next year, he will be close to the 30 goal gritty with skill we expect him to be. It took Bergie 2 full seasons to look "right" again.

We will regret it if he leaves. He has a spoked B stamped on his heart...

scotiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:28 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey View Post
Anyone remember Bergie's first year back after his MAJOR concussion?

If there is any way to keep Horton on the B's they should.
While I understand your point, I just can't agree they should keep him past this year. He played this way even prior to his concussion. He's always been very streaky. Perhaps he's even more so following his concussion, but his return to "normalcy" will still be more of the same.

He's so much more effective when he's moving, but he does an awful lot of standing around. And he's become far too easy to move off the puck. I just don't see what unique skill set he brings anymore.

If there is one, help me see it.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote