HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v27: Ujiri signs 5 year, $3m per year deal to become Raptors GM

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Leafsforlife98

vCash: 500
The Raptors have to tank next year. If they tank I almost guarantee that they will get Andrew Wiggens. Here is my reasoning why....

The NBA is like no other league when it comes to thinking of the league as a business. When a team is in distress, and losing money, they almost always get the 1st overall pick. Look at the last 10-15 years.

2012 New Orleans- Anthony Davis (Davis Stern nixed the Chris Paul trade because he wanted the team to get younger, and build strong nucleus for the future. With the Paul trade, the players they got back would have put them in the playoffs, but that is not what Stern wanted. He wanted them to build for the future, and alas, they end up with the number 1 pick)

2011 Cleveland- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland loses Lebron James and the next year they get the #1 pick with LA Clippers pick which I think was 8th best odds to win.)

2010 Washington- John Wall (Washington has been sucking for years, but the owner died that year of the pick, and his Widow goes on stage to represent the team while most other teams sent GM"S or players. They end up with the 1st pick)

2009 LA Clippers- Blake Griffen (LA used to be the laughing stock of the league for years, the butt end of many jokes. Fan interest was at an all time low, and bang, they get the 1st overall pick and franchise player in Griffen, and turned around the teams fortune only a few years later

2008 Chicago- Derrick Rose (Chicago was struggling at the gate, and had a horrible season. Stern saw that and somehow they win the draft and get to select hometown boy and future MVP)

2006 Toronto- Andrea Bargnani (A few seasons after Vince had left, and fan interest slowly dying, the Raptors get the 1st overall pick. BC was very high on him at the time, and thought he could be a game changer. Most teams didn't see a real gem in the draft that year so the pick came to us.

2003 Cleveland- Lebron James (Cleveland was a horrible franchise, and there were internal discussions of them being moved. A hometown player is going #1 overall, and somehow Cleveland gets the pick and resurrects the franchise, from bottom of the league, to sellouts for like 6-7 straight years.

The NBA is a business through and through, and when a franchise starts losing money, or interest starts fading in a city, they end up getting the 1st overall pick to turn it around. It happens every year. That is why the team with the best odds in the draft lottery NEVER gets the 1st overall pick. It's not about who finishes last, it is about who needs the pick the most.

When you have a once in a decade type talent like Andrew Wiggens, who is Canadian, as a business, if you put him on the only Canadian team in the league, their will be a sellout every game for the next 10-15 years. Prices for seats will go up extremely because the demand to see a Canadian superstar and hometown player, and interest will be at an all time high. Merchandising money for the Raptors would probably triple, at the least. That means the league makes more money. Also having the 4th largest market in North America actually being a top team in the league, would also be a huge draw for the league.

Imagine Toronto vs a LA, New York, Chicago, Miami or Boston in the Conference Finals or NBA finals. Ratings would be an all time high, and the marketing opportunities would be endless. The NBA would never have to worry about the Raptors for the next 10-15 years at the least, something that would be great for the league.

When it comes to the NBA, business is all that matters. And that is why the Raptors should tank, trade all players not named Jonas, Terrance or Amir, and stack up some 1st round picks in next years draft. You think that lottery protecting the pick (Top 3 protected) we traded to Houston was by coincidence?

NOW IS THE TIME TO TANK!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Leafsforlife98: 05-18-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Leafsforlife98

So if the Raptors tank and trade away most of their players, how much can u get for the players on the Roster?

Rudy Gay

Demar Derozan

Kyle Lowry

Andrea Bargnani

Landry Fields

????????????????????????????????

Old
05-18-2013, 11:29 AM
hockeywiz542

Yahoo Sports: Raptors targeting Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to run organization

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...144448852.html

Masai Ujiri

Quote:
Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is pursuing Denver Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri to take over as the top basketball executive of the Toronto Raptors, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Masai, the 2013 NBA Executive of the Year, has emerged as the top choice of the search firm – Korn/Ferry International – that's been charged with finding a successor to Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, league sources said. Masai Ujiri (Getty Images)

MLSE has until Monday to make a decision on Colangelo's contract option for next year. It is possible that he could stay with the franchise under a new top basketball official.

Ujiri's contract as Denver's general manager expires this summer and he has been in talks with ownership on an extension. Ujiri, 42, has a strong bond with Nuggets CEO Josh Kroenke, but new MLSE top executive, Tim Leiweke, has expressed a desire to make a serious financial and organizational commitment to an elite executive to turn around the franchise.
Quote:
The Philadelphia 76ers pursued Ujiri for their GM job a year ago, but he declined their interest. Nevertheless, Ujiri's history in Toronto and the commitment of the MLSE company to resurrecting the Raptors could make this a harder decision for Ujiri, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Ujiri is one of the NBA's lower paid GMs.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...p-gm-candidate

Quote:
With their entire front office staff in Chicago this past week for the NBA's pre-draft combine, the Toronto Raptors have identified Denver Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri as a top candidate to take over the franchise, league sources told CBSSports.com.

Ujiri, the newly minted NBA executive of the year, last summer rebuffed overtures from the Philadelphia 76ers for their GM position and again was contacted about the vacancy in recent weeks through what sources described as backchannel conversations. The Sixers hired Rockets executive Sam Hinkie to lead their basketball operations last week.

The Raptors' ownership board, led by former Staples Center executive Tim Leiweke, held a meeting last week with front-office executives Bryan Colangelo, Ed Stefanski and Marc Eversley but did not offer any indication as to their fate.

Colangelo has an option for the 2013-14 season that Yahoo Sports reported must be picked up by Monday. According to a person familiar with the organization's internal meetings, "it doesn't look good" for the existing front-office staff to remain in place.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Hyperglide

I made a big post on tsn.ca and big surprise the moderators didn't add it. I guess cause I called BC out for being a hack-fraud, a snake oil salesman and a company yes man who is resting on the laurels of his past successes with Phoenix which he had help from his dad anyways. I also stated he doesn't know how to run a basketball organization or how to build one. Retooling is not the way when you're team is a consistent treadmill team. Retooling is something you do when you're already a fringe contender to take you to the max level. Not when you're mediocre.

So I was happy to see this article http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=423475 where rumors are stating we are looking at bringing Ujiri back. Man I'd love that move he's as good as they come and he single handedly brought Denver back after they got rid of Iverson, Carmelo and K-Mart. He also got good assets for a dwindling Nene. The guy has a knack for talent.

I really hope to hear good news on Victoria day that CANlangelo is done in T-Dot.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
The Raptors have to tank next year. If they tank I almost guarantee that they will get Andrew Wiggens. Here is my reasoning why....

The NBA is like no other league when it comes to thinking of the league as a business. When a team is in distress, and losing money, they almost always get the 1st overall pick. Look at the last 10-15 years.

2012 New Orleans- Anthony Davis (Davis Stern nixed the Chris Paul trade because he wanted the team to get younger, and build strong nucleus for the future. With the Paul trade, the players they got back would have put them in the playoffs, but that is not what Stern wanted. He wanted them to build for the future, and alas, they end up with the number 1 pick)

2011 Cleveland- Kyrie Irving (Cleveland loses Lebron James and the next year they get the #1 pick with LA Clippers pick which I think was 8th best odds to win.)

2010 Washington- John Wall (Washington has been sucking for years, but the owner died that year of the pick, and his Widow goes on stage to represent the team while most other teams sent GM"S or players. They end up with the 1st pick)

2009 LA Clippers- Blake Griffen (LA used to be the laughing stock of the league for years, the butt end of many jokes. Fan interest was at an all time low, and bang, they get the 1st overall pick and franchise player in Griffen, and turned around the teams fortune only a few years later

2008 Chicago- Derrick Rose (Chicago was struggling at the gate, and had a horrible season. Stern saw that and somehow they win the draft and get to select hometown boy and future MVP)

2006 Toronto- Andrea Bargnani (A few seasons after Vince had left, and fan interest slowly dying, the Raptors get the 1st overall pick. BC was very high on him at the time, and thought he could be a game changer. Most teams didn't see a real gem in the draft that year so the pick came to us.

2003 Cleveland- Lebron James (Cleveland was a horrible franchise, and there were internal discussions of them being moved. A hometown player is going #1 overall, and somehow Cleveland gets the pick and resurrects the franchise, from bottom of the league, to sellouts for like 6-7 straight years.

The NBA is a business through and through, and when a franchise starts losing money, or interest starts fading in a city, they end up getting the 1st overall pick to turn it around. It happens every year. That is why the team with the best odds in the draft lottery NEVER gets the 1st overall pick. It's not about who finishes last, it is about who needs the pick the most.

When you have a once in a decade type talent like Andrew Wiggens, who is Canadian, as a business, if you put him on the only Canadian team in the league, their will be a sellout every game for the next 10-15 years. Prices for seats will go up extremely because the demand to see a Canadian superstar and hometown player, and interest will be at an all time high. Merchandising money for the Raptors would probably triple, at the least. That means the league makes more money. Also having the 4th largest market in North America actually being a top team in the league, would also be a huge draw for the league.

Imagine Toronto vs a LA, New York, Chicago, Miami or Boston in the Conference Finals or NBA finals. Ratings would be an all time high, and the marketing opportunities would be endless. The NBA would never have to worry about the Raptors for the next 10-15 years at the least, something that would be great for the league.

When it comes to the NBA, business is all that matters. And that is why the Raptors should tank, trade all players not named Jonas, Terrance or Amir, and stack up some 1st round picks in next years draft. You think that lottery protecting the pick (Top 3 protected) we traded to Houston was by coincidence?

NOW IS THE TIME TO TANK!!!!!!!!!!
Are you suggesting the NBA lottery is rigged? Even though they do the lottery behind closed doors, a representative from each team plus a few people from the media are there. The reason why the team with the best chance of winning the 1st pick doesn't usually win is pure probability.

Besides, even if the Raptors tank and don't win the 1st overall pick, there is plenty of potential elite talent in the projected top 5 next year. No Wiggins, no problem. I'll take Randle or Parker too.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:41 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...lacements.html

Quote:
More names have emerged as possible “targets” in a search to replace Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo as the human toll from the process escalates.

Facing a Monday deadline to exercise an option on a final year of Colangelo’s contract and with a search firm seeking candidates with wide-ranging NBA resumés, the situation remained very much in limbo Saturday.

NBA sources confirmed a Yahoo.com report that former Raptors executive and current NBA executive of the year Masai Ujiri would be on Toronto’s list while Tommy Sheppard, the Washington Wizards’ vice-president of basketball administration, was cited as another name associated with the search by other league insiders.

Ujiri, who spent three seasons in Toronto as a director of global scouting and an assistant general manager, is at the end of his contract with Denver Nuggets, a fact that would be significant in any job search for him or the Raptors.

He has steadfastly credited Colangelo with giving him his chance at significant front-office input, considers Toronto adviser Wayne Embry as one of the great mentors in his career and has close ties to the organization still.

Ujiri is credited with massaging two delicate Denver situations — the trade demands of Carmelo Anthony and the health of coach George Karl — while turning the Nuggets into a force in the Western Conference.

But his loyalty to his former boss could very well turn into an issue, especially if Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment could see some way to keep Colagnelo in some capacity or another.

Sheppard is another in a long list of NBA front-office types like two others linked to Toronto in Indiana general manager Kevin Pritchard and Oklahoma City’s Troy Weaver, a mid-level front-office type who may or may not be ready to assume more responsibility.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 464
"Tommy Sheppard, the Washington Wizards’ vice-president of basketball administration"

How 'bout no?

Old
05-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Suntouchable13

I think they have to keep improving the team, blowing it up now makes absolutely no sense. What a slap in the face for those fans that stuck it through the last 3 years. That was just a waste of time. I hope if they do decide to blow it all up, that the Raps will get barely 10,000 fans per game. Just brutal. Keep building, keep improving.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Shimso

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I think they have to keep improving the team, blowing it up now makes absolutely no sense. What a slap in the face for those fans that stuck it through the last 3 years. That was just a waste of time. I hope if they do decide to blow it all up, that the Raps will get barely 10,000 fans per game. Just brutal. Keep building, keep improving.
As someone who's been watching every Raptors season since the inaugural season, I'd be far happier with the team going for a top draft pick in the next draft rather than struggle to earn the right to be Heat-fodder in the first round.

The prospect of getting a Torontonian who has been compared to LBJ and KD or other top picks even if we don't get 1st overall is a hell of a lot better than hoping for a cap-maxed team to possibly make .500.

Short term pain for long term gain > perpetual futility

Old
05-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Are you suggesting the NBA lottery is rigged? Even though they do the lottery behind closed doors, a representative from each team plus a few people from the media are there. The reason why the team with the best chance of winning the 1st pick doesn't usually win is pure probability.

Besides, even if the Raptors tank and don't win the 1st overall pick, there is plenty of potential elite talent in the projected top 5 next year. No Wiggins, no problem. I'll take Randle or Parker too.
Yes, I am totally saying that the NBA Lottery is rigged!

Old
05-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
I am a season ticket holder, and I want them to blow it up. With what we have on the team now, we will barely make the playoffs, and if we do we will get smoked. I want long term success. We have no cap room, tons of overpaid players and we need some HIGH draft picks. Not 8th, 9th and 13th and 17th (Which we traded)

BC tried to do it the right way, he just has too much ego to REALLY suck, and get the high draft picks we needed. He says he wanted to do it the Thunder way, well the Thunder sucked really bad for 3 years and got Durant 2nd, Westbrook 4th and Harden 3rd. We kinda sucked and were rewarded with 8th, 9th and 13th.

We have 1 high draft pick (In the top 5) and he looks to be a stud. We need a couple more studs

Old
05-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
As someone who's been watching every Raptors season since the inaugural season, I'd be far happier with the team going for a top draft pick in the next draft rather than struggle to earn the right to be Heat-fodder in the first round.

The prospect of getting a Torontonian who has been compared to LBJ and KD or other top picks even if we don't get 1st overall is a hell of a lot better than hoping for a cap-maxed team to possibly make .500.

Short term pain for long term gain > perpetual futility
Finally, someone who gets it.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
How are they going to build? With what players?

We have some good young pieces in Jonas, Terrance (Who doesn't get any minutes) and Amir who is still kind of young.

I am not sold on Derozan, never have been. Very egotistical player, who can't shoot or play good defence.

I am not sold on Gay as the number 1 option considering his shooting woes, he would be an excellent #2. But also is WAY overpaid.

Lowry is not a true point guard and is way too emotional, and disappears way too many times during the game, and for stretches of games as well.

Andrea is as soft as butter, injury prone, can't rebound to save his life despite being 7 feet tall, and not respected by his teammates or around the league. And once again, OVERPAID.

Landry Fields is WAY overpaid, and if he was making 3 million a year, would be an good bench option.

And the rest of the bench is just terrible. I do Kind of Like Quicny though, plays his ass off every play. Kleiza, Lucas, Gray and Anderson are all fringe NBA players at best.

Fans might be pissed if we have to rebuild again, but REAL fans know that what we have is simply not good enough now for the present or for the future. And considering we are maxed out salary wise, we can't sign anyone to try and switch things up.

Keep AMIR, JONAS and TERRANCE and get 1st round picks in next years draft for anyone else on the roster. If we can get at least 2 top 10 picks in next years draft, going forward we are really good since it is such a deep draft.

Top 5 1st round pick 2014 (Andrew Wiggens, Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart or Andrew Harrison)
Jonas Valanciunas
Terrance Ross
Amir Johnson
Top 10 1st round pick 2014 (Mitch McGary, Glenn Robinson III, Chris Walker, Wayne Selden among others)

That is a team with promise, REAL Promise, especially if we get Andrew Wiggens. Plus, shedding all of the salaries we have overpaid for would also help in getting us some free agents. And I know people think we can't get free agents, but with the solid core of Good young players and Tim Leiweke at the top, we will attract players for sure, especially if the money is there as well.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

I mean if the Clippers would deal away a top 5 pick (that ends up winning the lotto) just so they can get rid of Baron Davis, I suppose anything is possible.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:35 AM
trellaine201

I find it strange that nothing has happened, one way or another in terms of Colangelo. If there looking for a relacement why would Colangelo even want to be here. If he isnt part of the future. He would then be a lame duck GM this year. Not the best scenario for this fledging organization.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I find it strange that nothing has happened, one way or another in terms of Colangelo. If there looking for a relacement why would Colangelo even want to be here. If he isnt part of the future. He would then be a lame duck GM this year. Not the best scenario for this fledging organization.
We'll find out tomorrow. That's when MLSE has to pick up his option. Leiweke will do right but us as Raps fans. No way Colangelo gets renewed, if you ask me. If he was it would've happened by now.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...wn_effect.html

Quote:
Tim Leiweke is taking his first significant move as the new kingpin of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment right down to the wire.

And perhaps past it.

Even armed with recommendations from an outside firm he enlisted to compile what looks like a thoroughly predictable list of possible executives, the incoming MLSE boss is letting a deadline to decide the fate of current president and general manager Bryan Colangelo arrive with no resolution to an increasingly dicey situation.

There was little movement on the issue Sunday as the team tries to grabble with the only salient matter at hand: does the organization want Colangelo back and if the answer is yes, in what role and with who alongside him?

One theory making the rounds in NBA circles over the weekend is that both sides are trying to find a way for Colangelo to remain in the organization but perhaps in a different role.

Other people in the league, however, are certain that the longer Leiweke lets the situation drag on, the more likely it is that Colangelo leaves and that the chief executive officer is plumbing the depths of other front offices to find someone with a reputation — and the ability — that would make a new hire seem like a big splash.

But whatever the resolution, it won’t come until the last minute, at least. Monday is supposedly the deadline for the 2013-14 option on Colangelo’s contract to be picked up. It could be extended by mutual agreement.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...it-in-toronto/

Quote:
We will know sometime on Monday what name is inside the envelope at Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment.

It seems now with all the chatter around NBA circles that Bryan Colangelo may no longer be the man running basketball operations in Toronto, but one of his former chief lieutenants, Masai Ujiri, may be next in line to try and help put the team back into the playoffs and move them further up the NBA ladder.

Ujiri is the reigning NBA Executive of the Year and has helped make the Denver Nuggets a viable contender. If he were to be hired in Toronto it would be a good fit for a number of reasons.

He has worked in Toronto and knows not only the NBA landscape but also the challenges facing the club as the only team located outside the U.S. With the exception of new CEO Tim Leiweke and a few of the new board members, he is intimately familiar with the organization. But above all else, Ujiri has become well respected around the NBA and does his job well.

If Ujiri were to come on board there would be some semblance of stability as the team has made strides and improved the last couple of seasons. The improvement has just not been fast enough to get them into the playoffs or satisfy the MLSE board to the degree they would pick up the final year of Colangelo’s contract and have him remain as general manager. It’s entirely possible that Ujiri could retain Casey with the coach’s option having been picked up at the end of the lockout-shortened season in 2012. There would be added continuity with scouting and front office personnel and the let’s-look-and-see-what-we-have period would be much shorter than that of a new general manager.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Kb21

OKC maybe looking to dump perkins, i would definitely be interested in our first + their first and perkins for landry/kleiza + TPE or just the TPE. then dump andrea for an expiring or TPE to balance it out and get us out of the luxury tax area.

not sure if MLSE would be willing to eat about 4M-10M for the next 2 seasons in salary but i would definitely do it if it meant we would get 2 first rounders this draft. the draft isn't star heavy but i would say it is deep in terms of mid-late round gems.

also did anyone watch the spurs game today, it was like a work of art seeing the pick apart memphis's d. this is the best i've seen them play these playoffs and if they make the finals vs the heat no doubt that series would go 7 games and be fun to watch.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
TMLeafer
#ComeTOgether

Just make it official already!

Quote:
According to multiple reports, Bryan Colangelo's tenure as president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors may be at an end.

But that doesn't mean his stay in Toronto is over altogether as Colangelo will reportedly stay on with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment in a corporate, non-basketball role.

MLSE, and its new CEO Tim Leiweke, had set today as the deadline to make a decision on whether or not to exercise the option in Colangelo's contract to bring him back for another year.

Now it seems that decision has been made. Toronto Star basketball reporter Doug Smith wrote on twitter Monday morning, "Sources: Bryan Colangelo to remain at MLSE in "corporate" role -- non basketball -- as search continues for head of #Raptors organization."
More: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=423600

“If you think there's no pain coming, there's pain coming.” -Mike Babcock
Bring back Joe Bowen.
Old
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
trellaine201

Mmmm so is this a promo? Lateral move? Or something similar to the Burke situation?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 464
Stupid. I want him washed away from the raptors. Apparently this isn't what Tim wanted, but BC has a lot of fans on the board.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
91Kadri91

Please, please do a proper rebuild.

I would be ecstatic if the only long term/core pieces remaining at the end of this off-season were Valanciunas, Johnson and Ross.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Hyperglide

As long as he doesn't pollute the new management team with any type of personnel suggestions I could care less about if he has a new corporate job. I'm just glad he's not running the team anymore.

Kind of strange that Ujiri is the top candidate and we let him walk a few seasons ago lol..

Closed Thread