HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  #151
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
IMO Morrissey is much better than Petan. Morrissey won't let size affect him eaither, plus his just a phenomenal player.

nando2392 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
  #152
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
So what is the scouting report on Zadorov? Is he a two way D? I know that he's big and that he can fight/hit like a train. But is he usually physical or is he inconsistent in that regard? How are his skating, his passing, and his shot?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
  #153
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So what is the scouting report on Zadorov? Is he a two way D? I know that he's big and that he can fight/hit like a train. But is he usually physical or is he inconsistent in that regard? How are his skating, his passing, and his shot?
He's more of a defensive defenceman. He definitely likes to play physically and was looking to hit rather than waiting for the hit early in the season. The knights have done a good job helping him tone it back a bit and make better decisions of when to step up. Still, one of his calling cards is going to be him stepping up and destroying forwards at the blue line. He's usually physical and definitely a guy you want to go to war with.

His skating is good for a big guy. He still has problems with really small fast guys but he's getting better. He sometimes looks out of position but he just takes a couple of strides and he's back in position again.

He has a cannon on the blueline but I wouldn't say it's as good as Pulocks. He still needs to use it a bit more and work on it to be effective at the NHL.

He's going to be somewhere between an Andy Sutton/Sheldon Souray/Zdeno Chara type player. His passing is good but he isn't going to rush the puck up the ice or be a massive point producer at the NHL level. I still think he has untapped offensive potential but he still has a lot to work on.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
  #154
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
He's more of a defensive defenceman. He definitely likes to play physically and was looking to hit rather than waiting for the hit early in the season. The knights have done a good job helping him tone it back a bit and make better decisions of when to step up. Still, one of his calling cards is going to be him stepping up and destroying forwards at the blue line. He's usually physical and definitely a guy you want to go to war with.

His skating is good for a big guy. He still has problems with really small fast guys but he's getting better. He sometimes looks out of position but he just takes a couple of strides and he's back in position again.

He has a cannon on the blueline but I wouldn't say it's as good as Pulocks. He still needs to use it a bit more and work on it to be effective at the NHL.

He's going to be somewhere between an Andy Sutton/Sheldon Souray/Zdeno Chara type player. His passing is good but he isn't going to rush the puck up the ice or be a massive point producer at the NHL level. I still think he has untapped offensive potential but he still has a lot to work on.
That's an awfully long range...

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
  #155
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
I've heard the Chara comparison for Zadorov in the past. Apparently his low end potential is a Smid and his full potential is a Chara. Pretty big range.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
  #156
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Wow DIO Z does play a lot like Sutton. Never considered it until you mentioned it. Obviously Z is projected to be better than Sutton but the playing style is bang on

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
  #157
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I've heard the Chara comparison for Zadorov in the past. Apparently his low end potential is a Smid and his full potential is a Chara. Pretty big range.
People probably don't want to hear this but statistical analysis says most draft picks outside of top 3 usually are #4-6 dmen or 2nd/3rd line players.

Zadarov is probably a #4 at best and #6-7 at worst. Obviously he could develop into something better but it usually doesn't happen to often. Check out the By the numbers section for a more statistical breakdown of 1st rd picks

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:26 PM
  #158
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow DIO Z does play a lot like Sutton. Never considered it until you mentioned it. Obviously Z is projected to be better than Sutton but the playing style is bang on
Sutton back in the day was a good player. If you ask Thrasher "fans" you'll probably find quite a few of them that say he's one of their franchise's best D men of all time. I know, it doesn't sound that impressive, but I do remember Sutton being a force of a shut down D man once upon a time, and if that's a player's downside, then I'm on board with it.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
  #159
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
People probably don't want to hear this but statistical analysis says most draft picks outside of top 3 usually are #4-6 dmen or 2nd/3rd line players.

Zadarov is probably a #4 at best and #6-7 at worst. Obviously he could develop into something better but it usually doesn't happen to often. Check out the By the numbers section for a more statistical breakdown of 1st rd picks
I was under the impression this draft was incredibly deep, meaning there are multiple players who could end up being top 3 D men and first line forwards. It's pretty hard to predict raw D men on stats and projections like that, so I guess this draft is kind of a gamble.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
  #160
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
People probably don't want to hear this but statistical analysis says most draft picks outside of top 3 usually are #4-6 dmen or 2nd/3rd line players.
Zadarov is probably a #4 at best and #6-7 at worst. Obviously he could develop into something better but it usually doesn't happen to often. Check out the By the numbers section for a more statistical breakdown of 1st rd picks
That doesn't even make any sense..You're saying the 60 top pairing players in the NHL were all picked in the top 3 or the first line on every team (90 players) were also picked top 3?? Otherwise they're not really top pairing/first line players?

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
  #161
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
I'm with oilspill re: Zadorov. His decision-making and handling with the puck is way too slow to project to a good offensive NHL player. It's similar to Smid tbh.

He doesn't make quick plays with it upon retrieving it in his zone, he doesn't handle it with composure when pressured, and his evasive maneuvers IMO aren't on the same level of Nurse/Ristolainen.

I think defensively he's the most mature of the 3 defensemen though, but I don't know if that's what the Oilers need right now heading forward with Musil/Klefbom in the fold.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
  #162
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I've heard the Chara comparison for Zadorov in the past. Apparently his low end potential is a Smid and his full potential is a Chara. Pretty big range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow DIO Z does play a lot like Sutton. Never considered it until you mentioned it. Obviously Z is projected to be better than Sutton but the playing style is bang on
It's always hard to make comparisons with guys because each player is so unique. I wouldn't call him a Sutton/Chara clone but he does draw some similarities. I mean, his low end is probably a bit better than Sutton and his high end won't reach Chara but he will fall somewhere in the middle. I know that's a wide range but honestly it will be up to the player. I do think he has some hidden offensive potential but If we draft him it will be because we want a big physical shutdown defenceman.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 07:12 PM
  #163
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So what is the scouting report on Zadorov? Is he a two way D? I know that he's big and that he can fight/hit like a train. But is he usually physical or is he inconsistent in that regard? How are his skating, his passing, and his shot?
"His potential is unlimited," Hunter told NHL.com. "When you see him skate in practice and games, you don't see a guy that nimble for that size, 6-5 or 6-6."

"Nikita is a big man who skates very well," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "He has very good mobility and his backwards skating is about the best in this year's draft. He will take the body and battles hard along the boards. He uses his long reach well and is an effective pokechecker."

When Hunter learned Zadorov was interested in coming to North America, he traded with the Peterborough Petes to move up to the ninth spot in the 2012 CHL Import Draft to select Zadorov. After that, it didn't take much convincing to get the player into town.

Hunter likes Zadorov so much he compared him to a former teammate -- Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson.

lakai17 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 07:49 PM
  #164
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
I question Zadorovs IQ, i think he might be dumb as a rock

nando2392 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 07:57 PM
  #165
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I question Zadorovs IQ, i think he might be dumb as a rock
It's hard to believe a European player adapting to the NA game as quickly as Zadorov did, having a low hockey IQ.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:06 PM
  #166
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
It's hard to believe a European player adapting to the NA game as quickly as Zadorov did, having a low hockey IQ.
You are right, theres something in Zadorov that i really don't like, i think he has bust written all over him.

nando2392 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
  #167
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
You are right, theres something in Zadorov that i really don't like, i think he has bust written all over him.
I guess it's the big, hulking D man factor, and the fact he seems underwhelming and doesn't provide much offense. To me, he seems like a sure fire shut down guy, kind of like Musil, but much better.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:27 PM
  #168
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
"His potential is unlimited," Hunter told NHL.com. "When you see him skate in practice and games, you don't see a guy that nimble for that size, 6-5 or 6-6."

"Nikita is a big man who skates very well," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "He has very good mobility and his backwards skating is about the best in this year's draft. He will take the body and battles hard along the boards. He uses his long reach well and is an effective pokechecker."

When Hunter learned Zadorov was interested in coming to North America, he traded with the Peterborough Petes to move up to the ninth spot in the 2012 CHL Import Draft to select Zadorov. After that, it didn't take much convincing to get the player into town.

Hunter likes Zadorov so much he compared him to a former teammate -- Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson.
I remember Hunter talking up Gagner and Schremp as well back in the day as future superstars. Take that with a huge grain of salt.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
  #169
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I guess it's the big, hulking D man factor, and the fact he seems underwhelming and doesn't provide much offense. To me, he seems like a sure fire shut down guy, kind of like Musil, but much better.
Yeah, maybe it's that but i still prefer Morrissey, Pulock, Ristolainen over Zadorov

nando2392 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:13 PM
  #170
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 50
zadorov has aki berg all over him to me i dont bother

CornKicker is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:45 PM
  #171
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I remember Hunter talking up Gagner and Schremp as well back in the day as future superstars. Take that with a huge grain of salt.
In nearly 13 years of owning the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Mark Hunter has seen a number of players go from his organization to NHL stardom, among them Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Corey Perry and Rick Nash, so he has a pretty solid grasp of what it takes for a player to make it to the big time.

And when he watches defenseman Nikita Zadorov, he sees another player ready to make that leap.

"He's got all the tools to play in the National Hockey League and all the tools to be a real good National Hockey League player," Hunter said. "The sky's the limit for this young man. Really is. He's got a great future ahead of him."

I for one know whom we're selecting next month.

lakai17 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
  #172
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
In nearly 13 years of owning the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Mark Hunter has seen a number of players go from his organization to NHL stardom, among them Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Corey Perry and Rick Nash, so he has a pretty solid grasp of what it takes for a player to make it to the big time.

And when he watches defenseman Nikita Zadorov, he sees another player ready to make that leap.

"He's got all the tools to play in the National Hockey League and all the tools to be a real good National Hockey League player," Hunter said. "The sky's the limit for this young man. Really is. He's got a great future ahead of him."

I for one know whom we're selecting next month.
How good is his offensive upside? How is his game going to translate to the NHL? I mean speed of the game

nando2392 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
  #173
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
In nearly 13 years of owning the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Mark Hunter has seen a number of players go from his organization to NHL stardom, among them Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Corey Perry and Rick Nash, so he has a pretty solid grasp of what it takes for a player to make it to the big time.

And when he watches defenseman Nikita Zadorov, he sees another player ready to make that leap.

"He's got all the tools to play in the National Hockey League and all the tools to be a real good National Hockey League player," Hunter said. "The sky's the limit for this young man. Really is. He's got a great future ahead of him."

I for one know whom we're selecting next month.
This should be good.

The Perfect Human* is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:30 PM
  #174
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I remember Hunter talking up Gagner and Schremp as well back in the day as future superstars. Take that with a huge grain of salt.
A lot of people were talking up Schremp as future superstars LOL!

Lowe in Oil is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:36 PM
  #175
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
A lot of people were talking up Schremp as future superstars LOL!
Yeah, that was pretty unrealistic thinking Schremp would become multiple superstars at once.

Mr Forever is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.