HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
nando2392

vCash: 500
IMO Morrissey is much better than Petan. Morrissey won't let size affect him eaither, plus his just a phenomenal player.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

So what is the scouting report on Zadorov? Is he a two way D? I know that he's big and that he can fight/hit like a train. But is he usually physical or is he inconsistent in that regard? How are his skating, his passing, and his shot?

05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So what is the scouting report on Zadorov? Is he a two way D? I know that he's big and that he can fight/hit like a train. But is he usually physical or is he inconsistent in that regard? How are his skating, his passing, and his shot?
He's more of a defensive defenceman. He definitely likes to play physically and was looking to hit rather than waiting for the hit early in the season. The knights have done a good job helping him tone it back a bit and make better decisions of when to step up. Still, one of his calling cards is going to be him stepping up and destroying forwards at the blue line. He's usually physical and definitely a guy you want to go to war with.

His skating is good for a big guy. He still has problems with really small fast guys but he's getting better. He sometimes looks out of position but he just takes a couple of strides and he's back in position again.

He has a cannon on the blueline but I wouldn't say it's as good as Pulocks. He still needs to use it a bit more and work on it to be effective at the NHL.

He's going to be somewhere between an Andy Sutton/Sheldon Souray/Zdeno Chara type player. His passing is good but he isn't going to rush the puck up the ice or be a massive point producer at the NHL level. I still think he has untapped offensive potential but he still has a lot to work on.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
He's more of a defensive defenceman. He definitely likes to play physically and was looking to hit rather than waiting for the hit early in the season. The knights have done a good job helping him tone it back a bit and make better decisions of when to step up. Still, one of his calling cards is going to be him stepping up and destroying forwards at the blue line. He's usually physical and definitely a guy you want to go to war with.

His skating is good for a big guy. He still has problems with really small fast guys but he's getting better. He sometimes looks out of position but he just takes a couple of strides and he's back in position again.

He has a cannon on the blueline but I wouldn't say it's as good as Pulocks. He still needs to use it a bit more and work on it to be effective at the NHL.

He's going to be somewhere between an Andy Sutton/Sheldon Souray/Zdeno Chara type player. His passing is good but he isn't going to rush the puck up the ice or be a massive point producer at the NHL level. I still think he has untapped offensive potential but he still has a lot to work on.
That's an awfully long range...

Old
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I've heard the Chara comparison for Zadorov in the past. Apparently his low end potential is a Smid and his full potential is a Chara. Pretty big range.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
doubledown99

Wow DIO Z does play a lot like Sutton. Never considered it until you mentioned it. Obviously Z is projected to be better than Sutton but the playing style is bang on

Old
05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I've heard the Chara comparison for Zadorov in the past. Apparently his low end potential is a Smid and his full potential is a Chara. Pretty big range.
People probably don't want to hear this but statistical analysis says most draft picks outside of top 3 usually are #4-6 dmen or 2nd/3rd line players.

Zadarov is probably a #4 at best and #6-7 at worst. Obviously he could develop into something better but it usually doesn't happen to often. Check out the By the numbers section for a more statistical breakdown of 1st rd picks

Old
05-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow DIO Z does play a lot like Sutton. Never considered it until you mentioned it. Obviously Z is projected to be better than Sutton but the playing style is bang on
Sutton back in the day was a good player. If you ask Thrasher "fans" you'll probably find quite a few of them that say he's one of their franchise's best D men of all time. I know, it doesn't sound that impressive, but I do remember Sutton being a force of a shut down D man once upon a time, and if that's a player's downside, then I'm on board with it.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
People probably don't want to hear this but statistical analysis says most draft picks outside of top 3 usually are #4-6 dmen or 2nd/3rd line players.

Zadarov is probably a #4 at best and #6-7 at worst. Obviously he could develop into something better but it usually doesn't happen to often. Check out the By the numbers section for a more statistical breakdown of 1st rd picks
I was under the impression this draft was incredibly deep, meaning there are multiple players who could end up being top 3 D men and first line forwards. It's pretty hard to predict raw D men on stats and projections like that, so I guess this draft is kind of a gamble.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
That doesn't even make any sense..You're saying the 60 top pairing players in the NHL were all picked in the top 3 or the first line on every team (90 players) were also picked top 3?? Otherwise they're not really top pairing/first line players?

Old
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'm with oilspill re: Zadorov. His decision-making and handling with the puck is way too slow to project to a good offensive NHL player. It's similar to Smid tbh.

He doesn't make quick plays with it upon retrieving it in his zone, he doesn't handle it with composure when pressured, and his evasive maneuvers IMO aren't on the same level of Nurse/Ristolainen.

I think defensively he's the most mature of the 3 defensemen though, but I don't know if that's what the Oilers need right now heading forward with Musil/Klefbom in the fold.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Quote:
It's always hard to make comparisons with guys because each player is so unique. I wouldn't call him a Sutton/Chara clone but he does draw some similarities. I mean, his low end is probably a bit better than Sutton and his high end won't reach Chara but he will fall somewhere in the middle. I know that's a wide range but honestly it will be up to the player. I do think he has some hidden offensive potential but If we draft him it will be because we want a big physical shutdown defenceman.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
"His potential is unlimited," Hunter told NHL.com. "When you see him skate in practice and games, you don't see a guy that nimble for that size, 6-5 or 6-6."

"Nikita is a big man who skates very well," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "He has very good mobility and his backwards skating is about the best in this year's draft. He will take the body and battles hard along the boards. He uses his long reach well and is an effective pokechecker."

When Hunter learned Zadorov was interested in coming to North America, he traded with the Peterborough Petes to move up to the ninth spot in the 2012 CHL Import Draft to select Zadorov. After that, it didn't take much convincing to get the player into town.

Hunter likes Zadorov so much he compared him to a former teammate -- Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:49 PM
nando2392

I question Zadorovs IQ, i think he might be dumb as a rock

Old
05-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I question Zadorovs IQ, i think he might be dumb as a rock
It's hard to believe a European player adapting to the NA game as quickly as Zadorov did, having a low hockey IQ.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:06 PM
nando2392

Quote:
It's hard to believe a European player adapting to the NA game as quickly as Zadorov did, having a low hockey IQ.
You are right, theres something in Zadorov that i really don't like, i think he has bust written all over him.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
You are right, theres something in Zadorov that i really don't like, i think he has bust written all over him.
I guess it's the big, hulking D man factor, and the fact he seems underwhelming and doesn't provide much offense. To me, he seems like a sure fire shut down guy, kind of like Musil, but much better.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:27 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
"His potential is unlimited," Hunter told NHL.com. "When you see him skate in practice and games, you don't see a guy that nimble for that size, 6-5 or 6-6."

"Nikita is a big man who skates very well," Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "He has very good mobility and his backwards skating is about the best in this year's draft. He will take the body and battles hard along the boards. He uses his long reach well and is an effective pokechecker."

When Hunter learned Zadorov was interested in coming to North America, he traded with the Peterborough Petes to move up to the ninth spot in the 2012 CHL Import Draft to select Zadorov. After that, it didn't take much convincing to get the player into town.

Hunter likes Zadorov so much he compared him to a former teammate -- Hall of Fame defenseman Larry Robinson.
I remember Hunter talking up Gagner and Schremp as well back in the day as future superstars. Take that with a huge grain of salt.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
nando2392

Quote:
I guess it's the big, hulking D man factor, and the fact he seems underwhelming and doesn't provide much offense. To me, he seems like a sure fire shut down guy, kind of like Musil, but much better.
Yeah, maybe it's that but i still prefer Morrissey, Pulock, Ristolainen over Zadorov

Old
05-18-2013, 09:13 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

zadorov has aki berg all over him to me i dont bother

Old
05-18-2013, 09:45 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I remember Hunter talking up Gagner and Schremp as well back in the day as future superstars. Take that with a huge grain of salt.
In nearly 13 years of owning the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Mark Hunter has seen a number of players go from his organization to NHL stardom, among them Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Corey Perry and Rick Nash, so he has a pretty solid grasp of what it takes for a player to make it to the big time.

And when he watches defenseman Nikita Zadorov, he sees another player ready to make that leap.

"He's got all the tools to play in the National Hockey League and all the tools to be a real good National Hockey League player," Hunter said. "The sky's the limit for this young man. Really is. He's got a great future ahead of him."

I for one know whom we're selecting next month.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
nando2392

Quote:
In nearly 13 years of owning the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Mark Hunter has seen a number of players go from his organization to NHL stardom, among them Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Corey Perry and Rick Nash, so he has a pretty solid grasp of what it takes for a player to make it to the big time.

And when he watches defenseman Nikita Zadorov, he sees another player ready to make that leap.

"He's got all the tools to play in the National Hockey League and all the tools to be a real good National Hockey League player," Hunter said. "The sky's the limit for this young man. Really is. He's got a great future ahead of him."

How good is his offensive upside? How is his game going to translate to the NHL? I mean speed of the game

Old
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

This should be good.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
A lot of people were talking up Schremp as future superstars LOL!

Old
05-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
A lot of people were talking up Schremp as future superstars LOL!
Yeah, that was pretty unrealistic thinking Schremp would become multiple superstars at once.

Closed Thread