HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Toni Rajala

Old
05-18-2013, 04:27 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
This thread.... Oilers fans being Oilers fans.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
This thread.... Oilers fans being Oilers fans.
I get what you're implying, but I disagree. I think it's pretty fair to get excited about a prospect when he begins to put up numbers in the pros. If he was doing this as an overager in the CHL or in Europe, then it would be something else. Putting up these kinds of numbers in the AHL as a rookie is pretty impressive. Its fair that fans see him as a prospect with some kind of NHL potential now, when they don't before.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
your contradicting yourself. similar size and skill, yes, but that's where the comparison should end. likely completely different attitudes. Rajala likely has a much better work ethic than Omark.
Not sure how clear I can make this. Omark is small, strong and skilled. He is not able to make the team, IMHO, because of his size and redundant skillset. Rajala, great attitude and all, is the same small skilled and redundant skillset.

I would love to be proven wrong in a year or two, but I doubt I will. We need size. No more small guys.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:39 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Roy is playing for Stockton and projecting very nicely. He's played lights out in the playoffs and has carried his team on his back. I wouldn't call him a dud just yet. He's still a very interesting prospect imo.
Roy can't even score at a 0.5ppg pace in the ECHL! On well at least he has a good defensive game and stops a lot of pucks, maybe they should try him in net?

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:05 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Not sure how clear I can make this. Omark is small, strong and skilled. He is not able to make the team, IMHO, because of his size and redundant skillset. Rajala, great attitude and all, is the same small skilled and redundant skillset.

I would love to be proven wrong in a year or two, but I doubt I will. We need size. No more small guys.
Small size is only an issue if you let it be. A team full of Gallaghers is going to be a lot tougher than a team full of Penners. Omark didn't make it for reasons other than size

05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Small size is only an issue if you let it be. A team full of Gallaghers is going to be a lot tougher than a team full of Penners. Omark didn't make it for reasons other than size
A team full of Kopitars is a lot tougher than a team full of Gagners.

If Omark was 6'3" he would be in the NHL right now. No doubt about it.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

What's your point? It helps to be big, but it helps more to have grit and determination

If he was 6'3, he'd still be a completely one dimensional player with major issues.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:56 PM
nando2392

Quote:

What about a team of Datsyuks? Or Zetterbergs? That would win stanley cups, i'm not saying Rajala is Datsyuk but will and intelligence will get you far.

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
What about a team of Datsyuks? Or Zetterbergs? That would win stanley cups, i'm not saying Rajala is Datsyuk but will and intelligence will get you far.
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are plenty gritty and hard to play against. It just gets greatly overshadowed by their skill. Omark doesn't have anything they have, and for that matter neither does Rajala.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:13 PM
nando2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are plenty gritty and hard to play against. It just gets greatly overshadowed by their skill. Omark doesn't have anything they have, and for that matter neither does Rajala.
I know Rajala is not Datsyuk but they have similar height and can be similar weight, all im saying is he could take a huge steps into becoming nhl players someday. Rajala has plenty of skill, itt will come down to how much he wants it,

nando2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:

If I recall correctly Jiri Dopita had one goal for the oilers in 30 games or so..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Just because he is small doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a chance. Horrible attitude to possess. You see fans ***** and moan about how out later draft picks don't turn out, then you have fans that want to give up on and get rid of them...
I didn't realize this was a peewee house league where everyone gets a chance. We have 5 rajalas in the big lineup already. U guys r in denial. Unless u r datsiuk, small danglers r on the way out.

ENOUGH WITH THIS FASCINATION WITH DANGLERS. For the love of god, open your eyes.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Philly85
Moody'

What he said

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
I didn't realize this was a peewee house league where everyone gets a chance. We have 5 rajalas in the big lineup already. U guys r in denial. Unless u r datsiuk, small danglers r on the way out.

ENOUGH WITH THIS FASCINATION WITH DANGLERS. For the love of god, open your eyes.
Enough with this FASCINATION with Coke Machines like J.F.Jacques, Brad Isbister, Z.Stortini etc etc etc....

Old
05-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Overhype much? Haha

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Hagged

I hope that Rajala won't become hated on these boards for being overhyped (again as he sure was overhyped at his draft year). He's developing surprisingly fast for a 21 year old and he might be able to stick in AHL top six role as soon as next season. He still has a couple of seasons to enter his prime. Just wait and see what he has to bring. And leave the Datsyuk talk out of this thread .

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Enough with this FASCINATION with Coke Machines like J.F.Jacques, Brad Isbister, Z.Stortini etc etc etc....
Amen brother. I don't know why this is coming back... we tried the "WE NEED SIZE EVEN IF THEY CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE" route and look what happened. We wouldnt draft anyone under 6 feet and look what happened, we ended up with Pouliot over Parise. Size doesnt mean anything on its own. I swear if we can draft Lindholm and pass because of size I will LOSE MY SH**!! No more coke machines!!

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
If I recall correctly Jiri Dopita had one goal for the oilers in 30 games or so..
21 games actually. Sam Gagner had 1 goal in the month of April this season when the Oilers were in the playoff hunt. And if I recall correctly it came in a 8-2 whooping of Calgary's AHL team.

Point being all things being equal I take the bigger, stronger player every time. Especially on a team full of smurfs like the Oilers are.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
21 games actually. Sam Gagner had 1 goal in the month of April this season when the Oilers were in the playoff hunt. And if I recall correctly it came in a 8-2 whooping of Calgary's AHL team.

Point being all things being equal I take the bigger, stronger player every time. Especially on a team full of smurfs like the Oilers are.
I take the better player every time, regardless of height, weight, position, sex, ethnicity.
Its what Detroit does and their rolling out One Brunner after another Filppula and another Zetterberg..draft skill, deal with size and grit via free agency(B.Prust was available), or waivee wire(How we got Glencross or later Jones)..
If you want a Lucic type dont draft a million coke machines, draft skill and talent use them to trade for the next Lucic, Clowe, or Dubinsky type.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

I disagree. We need size to our top 6 but we have size in our bottom 6. So we need 2 players to our bottom who can score regardless their size and I am not speaking about scoring marginally. Let's have Omark next season Rajala 2014 tradeline (when Smyth and Hemsky will be traded to the contender since we will not make the playoffs but having season of 82-92 pts).

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
If you can produce consistently at an NHL level, then it doesn't matter how big you are.

Sure, the playoffs are a different game, but we need to make those first.

Smaller players are given every opportunity(at least in the regular season) to be successful.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
We don't need size. We need grit. The usually come together but not always.

We also shouldn't get grit at the expense of good hockey players.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:06 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
We need guys who can score and keep their head above water at even-strength, regardless of how big they are, how strong they are, and how gritty they are. If Rajala can do that in the NHL, this will be a better team for it.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:10 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
We don't need size. We need grit. The usually come together but not always.

We also shouldn't get grit at the expense of good hockey players.
For example how we got Kale Kessy, love the player but really really was warming up to T.Rieder having a future here, at least it,wouldve been fun seeing him in OKC..
Couldve probably had Kessy for a 3rd round pick.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
For example how we got Kale Kessy, love the player but really really was warming up to T.Rieder having a future here, at least it,wouldve been fun seeing him in OKC..
Couldve probably had Kessy for a 3rd round pick.
I HIGHLY doubt it. And trading a good player for a good player with size and grit isn't really a good example

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote