HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Anthony Stolarz

Old
05-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Bill Dark is the best junior goaltending coach in Canada, bar none. His work with young goaltenders is outstanding and he's very good at correcting technical flaws. On top of it, he's good at correcting puck handling flaws. One of the things that he made very apparent with Stolarz is that his puck handling has to get better and it's been night and day from when Stolarz came to London.

Dark is excellent at identifying weaknesses in a goaltender's game and correcting them. For instance, he really excelled at helping Michael Houser's footwork and he helped Steve Mason with positioning. Dark's work this upcoming season will be getting Stolarz to handle the puck better and relying less on having to make the athletic save. That's why I feel so good about Stolarz and his development - he's being developed by one of the best goaltending coaches in the business.

And maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but Stolarz is definitely a blue chipper and there have been a lot of GMs in the NHL who think the Flyers found their future goaltender.
Wow, didn't know any of that. Good stuff.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:25 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Through implications that's basically what you were saying there.

You were basing this off of two games despite reports of him being good all year. His puck handling has been his weakness ever since he was drafted but nobody has ever questioned his athleticism.

He's had a bad series so far but he was great in the previous three including one where out-dueled John Gibson who many consider the best goalie in the OHL.

After watching him closely in this series (since he's a Philly pick) I was making a comment that he didn't look anything as advertised. And that maybe the Flyers could also look at the guy who outplayed Subban (who many consider the best goalie in the OHL) and now Stolarz.

I'm glad you could straighten me out by watching highlights.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:27 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I wish I could get excited about Anthony Stolarz, but Jeff Reece will still be our goaltending coach. But once we trade him, he may become a Vezina contender too!

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
I wish I could get excited about Anthony Stolarz, but Jeff Reece will still be our goaltending coach. But once we trade him, he may become a Vezina contender too!
"When you feel the puck on your stick, what you want to do is this: Put your body parallel to your target. Put your feet shoulder width apart. Flare your closest skate to the target; Keep your back skate perpendicular. When you're set, make sure all your weight is on the balls of your feet. Your knees should be bent slightly over the puck, your back should be straight and perpendicular to the shaft of your stick. Lean your torso back from your target. Grip the end of your stick with both hands, it doesn't really matter how. Now, just swing as hard as you can... that should do it."

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
Reading a little more about him, there seems to be quite few questions.

The biggest one obviously if he's just a product of how good the whole team of the London Knights are.

I'm not even gonna pretend I watch their games, so I don't know if its a legitimate question, but that's certainly one of the few concerns.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:30 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Reading a little more about him, there seems to be quite few questions.

The biggest one obviously if he's just a product of how good the whole team of the London Knights are.

I'm not even gonna pretend I watch their games, so I don't know if its a legitimate question, but that's certainly one of the few concerns.
The team has a couple of guys pegged to be drafted in the first round this year, so they let alone the team in front of them, they do have a stellar squad. But even with the guys in front of him, the numbers he put up coming from nowhere are pretty solid. Jumped right in cold water, and provided solid goaltending. Can he keep that pace for 40+ games in a single season? Not a clue, unfortunately.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
well, he looked terrible in the MC tournament

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, he looked terrible in the MC tournament
I think fatigue got to him, and the fact that London wasn't the best team in attendance showed.

I think the kid played more games in the last few months than he's ever done, and a lot of those were alternating days. Patterson didn't get a start the first couple of months Stolarz was in London.

The defense in front of him had a lot of breakdowns in the Memorial Cup (whether that's the defense or a good strong offense against is anyone's guess).

If he starts next season off poorly, it could be a concern, but I'm not worried yet.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I think fatigue got to him, and the fact that London wasn't the best team in attendance showed.

I think the kid played more games in the last few months than he's ever done, and a lot of those were alternating days. Patterson didn't get a start the first couple of months Stolarz was in London.

The defense in front of him had a lot of breakdowns in the Memorial Cup (whether that's the defense or a good strong offense against is anyone's guess).

If he starts next season off poorly, it could be a concern, but I'm not worried yet.
I'm not worried yet either, but I'm also not the type of person to think this guy is our goalie of the future when he's never even played a game of professional hockey yet

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:25 PM
BernieParent

Hopefully, this has all been a golden learning opportunity for Stolarz. Next season will be a good guide to how much a true prospect he is.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Agreed on all points. There were a couple really fluky goals against him in the MemCup too, but I think he'll be OK for next year. He has a tendancy to overplay the puck a bit, which he'll improve on. He has great reflexes and composure, he just needs to keep improving.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:29 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed on all points. There were a couple really fluky goals against him in the MemCup too, but I think he'll be OK for next year. He has a tendancy to overplay the puck a bit, which he'll improve on. He has great reflexes and composure, he just needs to keep improving.
Plus, the whole tournament seemed to be an offensive orgy, which doesn't help any of the goalies. It was more than just London that got lit up in games.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He'll have a full summer and year with London and their goaltending coach to clean that up.

I'm not worried about him a bit. He was playing in tier II in the US prior to this year and he finally made that league in his draft year. He's incredibly raw right now. He was basically thrown into the fire this year in London and had to learn on the fly. The fact that the Hunters went with him over Patterson and Baille despite this makes me feel confident in Stolarz. I think he'll be one of the top goalies in the OHL next year.

He's still a couple of years away from the big club but if the Flyers give him the time (similar to Vancouver did with Schneider) it could pay off for us.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Broad Street Elite

Anyone remember Niko Hovinen? I'm not saying Stolarz will go that route, but goalies are easily the least projectable players in the game. Stolarz has every imaginable tool and a great work ethic. That's really as much as you can hope for.

I try not to get too up or too down on any goalie until they've had plenty of opportunity to prove their worth or lack there of.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Unstable

Inky article today: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._prospect.html

I've never seen him play. Is Seravalli over selling him?

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

He could turn out to be really good but its still early. With that said Seravalli is an idiot

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

If Im not mistaken, (not saying this will happen) I think Stolarz is eligible to play in the AHL this up and coming season, because he was drafted out of the NAHL and not the CHL. Obviously dont know if they do that but it is something that just came to mind. I think he would be better back in London but wouldnt be surprised if they think hard about that option.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
flybynite77

Instead of Stolarz coming to Philadelphai to work with Reese it should be Stolarz and all other goalies heading to London Ontario to work with Bill Dark or better yet just hire him to replace Jeff Reese.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Anyone remember Niko Hovinen? I'm not saying Stolarz will go that route, but goalies are easily the least projectable players in the game. Stolarz has every imaginable tool and a great work ethic. That's really as much as you can hope for.

I try not to get too up or too down on any goalie until they've had plenty of opportunity to prove their worth or lack there of.
In fairness, Hovinen had work ethic issues. He went to the ECHL, sulked about it, and then played terribly with no sense of urgency in his game. The only real comparables between Stolarz and Hovinen are the size factor and that's really about it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

Seravalli's zeroing in on a potential target for him and the other clowns in the future.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
seanerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Instead of Stolarz coming to Philadelphai to work with Reese it should be Stolarz and all other goalies heading to London Ontario to work with Bill Dark or better yet just hire him to replace Jeff Reese.
Only if the front office could get their crap together..

Old
06-29-2013, 11:49 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
"The OHL was everything I've ever dreamed of, so was this season," Stolarz said. "I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. And now I'm hungry for more."
Well, he interviews better than Bryzgalov...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Tripod

I hope if he says in the OHL, London trades their other goalie for a younger guy. I would hate for him to stay there and lose the #1 job and play less than half the games.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
tymed

Stolarz with the 3-0 win and 30 save shutout effort on his opening night with the Knights over the Whalers.

Gotta love it!

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Here are some tweets about him from tonight's game:

Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout 1h
Anthony Stolarz locks down the shutout with an amazing performance tonight

^Scout for hockey prospect.

Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout 1h
#Philadelphia #Flyers prospect Anthony Stolarz has been outstanding when called upon tonight. Would be a different game if not for him.

Supposedly made some huge saves.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote