HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
I think we can acquire a top pairing D man and a big 2C this offseason and still keep the 7th pick this year.

RFA offer sheet Berglund with an offer St Louis can't afford to match and trade for Dan Boyle.

Boyle is a player with a couple of years left and would be a huge boost of leadership to this team. I don't think it would take that much to get him, really. he won't be free, but he surely won't cost as much as any other top pairing guy in the league.

Boyle-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
Klefbom-N Schultz
Fistric

By 2014-15 we will have players like Marincin or Musil and potentially Nurse/Zadorov/Risto (if we choose to draft them) to step in, and Klefbom will be capable of taking on a bigger role.

Klefbom-Schultz
Boyle-Petry
Marincin-Smid

Last edited by Mr Forever: 05-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
OilerFan4Life

Schultz and Petry are our #1 and #2 RHD moving forward.

We need a top 4 LHD to go along with Smid and tougher/gritty guys on the bottom pairing.

Pass on Dan Boyle.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Schultz and Petry are our #1 and #2 RHD moving forward.

We need a top 4 LHD to go along with Smid and tougher/gritty guys on the bottom pairing.

Pass on Dan Boyle.
Fair point. What player would you suggest as a top LHD?

Old
05-18-2013, 03:15 PM
OilerFan4Life

Let me throw something out there. Jackets are likely to sign Bobrovsky to a longterm big money contract and this guy has fallen out of favor under the management/coaching staff.

Umberger has 4 years left at 4.6 million/season.

If the Jackets swallowed 1 million/season and we gave them Anaheim's 2nd I wonder if they would bite.

He was better than 50% on the dot this year (59.4% in the defensive zone http://stats.tabita.org/faceoffs/player/r.j._umberger), he's big, and he's a proven point producer.

Thoughts??

Old
05-18-2013, 03:16 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Alzner but doubt we can get him.

Here are the teams that will be tight against the cap next year:

Van - Lu trade will help but things still a bit tight
Chi - Olesz and Frolik buyouts will help a little but Leddy still needs to be re-signed
Phi - Bryz buyout but things still tight
Bos - Rask needs to be signed. Will need to make moves if want to keep Horton

So if I am Edm I would look at Alzner, Edler and/or dman from Boston.

Edler might be a real possibility with MacT and Gillis connection.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:24 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Outside of making a run at Streit, it's nearly impossible to find a legit top 4 LH puck moving d-man out there.

I'd make a pitch for Goligoski. He has never been known for playing defense (still better than Streit) but I think this is a guy who is better than what he has shown in Dallas....the burden of being the guy traded for James Neal has always been on his shoulders. That burden will be gone on a fresh start with a new team. From Dallas' perspective trading him makes sense. They have a good young d-core. Oleksiak, Morrow, and Cannaughton all will push for jobs next season. I'd much rather give up an asset and have Goli for 3 more years at 4.6 million than sign Streit at 5.5 million for 3 years.

Sbisa from Anaheim intrigues me as well but his ceiling is a #3 at best. He's supposedly available for the right price.

I think Goli/Sbisa would take PRV straight up....and I'd go there IF (and that's a big IF) MacT finds a legit top 6 LW.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:37 PM
OilerFan4Life

Acquire Umberger (Columbus eats a million for the remaining 4 years) for a 2nd rounder + maybe a lower tier prospect.
Acquire Goligoski for PRV.
Sign Bickell and Ference.
Trade Hemsky for anything...swallow a million for the remaining year.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-Umberger-Yakupov
Bickell-Horcoff-Lander
Harti-Belanger(ughhhh)-Brown
I'm probably missing a forward..

Goli-Petry
Smid-Schultz
Ference-Schultz

Suddenly you are a bigger and meaner team and added offense from the back-end and secondary scoring.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:43 PM
dnicks17

I wouldn't mind trying to get David Schlemko and/or Derek Morris from Phoenix.

Couple of Edmonton boys who might be made expendable by the Coyotes' younger defensemen.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Alzner but doubt we can get him.

Here are the teams that will be tight against the cap next year:

Van - Lu trade will help but things still a bit tight
Chi - Olesz and Frolik buyouts will help a little but Leddy still needs to be re-signed
Phi - Bryz buyout but things still tight
Bos - Rask needs to be signed. Will need to make moves if want to keep Horton

So if I am Edm I would look at Alzner, Edler and/or dman from Boston.

Edler might be a real possibility with MacT and Gillis connection.
St. Louis may be tight against the cap with all their RFAs (Pietranglo, Shattenkirk, Stewart, Berglund, etc.).

An offersheet from a team like Philly could push them right to the brink of the cap. They may also opt to chase a scoring forward like Vanek in the summer.

That may make Bouwmeester available.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I wouldn't mind trying to get David Schlemko and/or Derek Morris from Phoenix.

Couple of Edmonton boys who might be made expendable by the Coyotes' younger defensemen.
Morris would be a solid 3 RD for us that could move into the top 4 if need be. He'd also give us another PP option.

05-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Soundwave

Bouw Petry
Smid J. Schultz
Morris Fistric
Klefbom

I would be ok with that. Not sure what the price to get those pieces would be though.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Toydarian

I really hope EDM goes after Umberger. He has a lot of qualities we need and if one can trust rumors and CBL fans, he seems like a potential buyout.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:48 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I really hope EDM goes after Umberger. He has a lot of qualities we need and if one can trust rumors and CBL fans, he seems like a potential buyout.
I make a play for him before they can buy him out. Tell them to eat a million and we'll give you Anaheim's 2nd.

3.6 million for the next 4 years for Umberger is a very solid deal for what he brings. It also gives us 2 options for Gagner...move him to the wing or trade him if we can't sign him to a reasonable long term contract.

also he hates Kesler and the Canucks so that's a bonus

Old
05-18-2013, 05:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I make a play for him before they can buy him out. Tell them to eat a million and we'll give you Anaheim's 2nd.

3.6 million for the next 4 years for Umberger is a very solid deal for what he brings. It also gives us 2 options for Gagner...move him to the wing or trade him if we can't sign him to a reasonable long term contract.

also he hates Kesler and the Canucks so that's a bonus
I'd ask for them to retain more than 1. Start high and see what they're willing to keep

05-18-2013, 05:28 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
No I'm quite serious. A GM who led his team to two last place and one 2nd last place finish in 3 consecutive years just plain sucks.

Can you please tell me what's so great about this year's 7th overall that Rutherford and Chiarelli should give up on players their organizations love and have spent 3 years developing?
Even if Tambi did just plain suck, there is no chance that "many on HFOil" could've done a better job. Sitting in front of a keyboard typing up whatever one can think of does not put one on equal footing with an NHL GM. Just take a look at most proposals being bandied about here and it should be clear to you that "many on HFOil" couldn't carry an NHL GM's clipboard, never mind do his job.

As for what's so great about the 7th overall, it's about leverage. With this being seen as one of the deepest drafts in many years, as well as the fact that the cap is going down relatively significantly, you can bet it's worth more than a 7th overall in, say, 2007 or even 2010, for example. So you don't simply throw it into a package to acquire a player without, at the very least, getting the other team's 1st rounder back also.

I'm not married to the 7th overall by any means, but I'd like to see a strong package return for it if it is moved.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 05-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 05:50 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'd ask for them to retain more than 1. Start high and see what they're willing to keep
Could we do something around him and Hemsky where we retain for the short duration of Hemskys contract while they retain his? Say we retain half of Hemsky, in exchange they 1.xx m of RJs. Unless they want to stay away from Hemsky, just a thought.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:10 PM
armandh01

Going with the Umberger idea I guess I'd roll.

Trade Hemsky (2.5 retained) for Umberger (1.00 -1.25 retained)
Sign Stalberg (3m), Bickell (2.5m), Orr (??)
Buyout Belanger, save next buyout for Horc if we'll need immediate capspace next season.
Trade Gagner for some sort of D help.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Stalberg - Umberger - Yak
Bick - Horc - Jones (If he's cheap)
Smyth - Lander - Orr (Not sure about this line tbh, got Orr to give Brown a break)
Brown

Old
05-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Bergeron47

I'd consider Eberle for Myers.
I'd easily rather have Yakupov-Gagner as 1-2 RWs and have Myers than Eberle-Yakupov with no Myers.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Paajarvi-(1)-Gagner
(2)-Horcoff-(3)
Hartikainen-Lander-Brown

Smid-Myers
Klefbom-Petry
(4)-J. Schultz

Dubnyk
(5)

(1) Big, physical, semi-offensive top-6 forward. Could be a LW, C, or RW as PRV can play either wing and Gagner can play centre. Preferably an Umberger
(2) Capable of 15-20 goals but defensively responsible, preferably big & physical (MacArthur, Bickell, Clowe)
(3) See 2 (Stafford, Brouwer)
(4) big, physical veteran defender ala Andy Sutton
(5) Kudobin, Greiss, Raanta, preferably Halak

Would also like B. Boyle as our #4C with Lander in OKC.

Last edited by Bergeron47: 05-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Arthur Staple is the Isles Newsday beatwriter.
Oh, thanks man.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Could we do something around him and Hemsky where we retain for the short duration of Hemskys contract while they retain his? Say we retain half of Hemsky, in exchange they 1.xx m of RJs. Unless they want to stay away from Hemsky, just a thought.
I can't see them wanting Hemsky. They need to make room for some of the guys coming up

Old
05-18-2013, 07:01 PM
DousedInOil

I know the UFA crop lacks top end talent but the more I think about it, the more I think we need to buyout Shawn Horcoff. Don't get me wrong, he fills a need and would be good at 2M but we should really take advantage of the buyouts and use that 5.5 million to help our defence. Bouwmeester would be a great addition to this team and wouldn't cost a whole lot.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I know the UFA crop lacks top end talent but the more I think about it, the more I think we need to buyout Shawn Horcoff. Don't get me wrong, he fills a need and would be good at 2M but we should really take advantage of the buyouts and use that 5.5 million to help our defence. Bouwmeester would be a great addition to this team and wouldn't cost a whole lot.
Bouwmeester just cost STL two prospects and a first rounder, so I don't see them offloading him after a few games.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Hemsky4PM

Teams most interested in Hemsky will be teams that need some offense badly. I think he goes to Dallas, Phoenix, St. Louis or Nashville.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:46 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
You buy him out next year when (hopefully) Lander is ready to be our #3

Old
05-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Hemsky4PM

Since the CBA allows for retention of salary, Horcoff has become movable. I would think MacT will explore that option. Even more so in 2014-2015 if Lander or someone else is ready for the role.

Belanger and Eager will be the buyouts.

Closed Thread