HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-col

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  #26
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
Get in line.. everyone wants Gardiner.

He's not going anywhere - probably just like Stastny.
Actually I don't think the Avs should have any interest in Gardiner.

We don't need Defense especially one like Gardiner who extremely Offensive and not very Defensive. We already have Barrie and Elliott who are similar to Gardiner and we will have Jones as well before long.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  #27
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Looks like Gardiner is back in fashion again. He's going nowhere, though.
When O'Reilly was on the market Gardiner was an injury prone one-season wonder. Now he's a must in a trade for Statsny. Oh how things change.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #28
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,840
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Actually I don't think the Avs should have any interest in Gardiner.

We don't need Defense especially one like Gardiner who extremely Offensive and not very Defensive. We already have Barrie and Elliott who are similar to Gardiner and we will have Jones as well before long.
I think you're selling Gardiner a bit short here. He's very good offensively and his defense is coming around. I would love to have him on the Avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
When O'Reilly was on the market Gardiner was an injury prone one-season wonder. Now he's a must in a trade for Statsny. Oh how things change.
To be fair, he had a concussion at the time and no one really knew how he was doing. Not an injury prone one-season wonder but still hard to trade O'Reilly for him. Especially after all the issues the Avs have had with concussions recently.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #29
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
When O'Reilly was on the market Gardiner was an injury prone one-season wonder. Now he's a must in a trade for Statsny. Oh how things change.
He's still injury prone, and so far is a one-season wonder.

But Oreilly had a lot more value then Stastny at the time(Still does) and therefore we had no interest in him for a player as valuable as ROR.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  #30
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think you're selling Gardiner a bit short here. He's very good offensively and his defense is coming around. I would love to have him on the Avs.



To be fair, he had a concussion at the time and no one really knew how he was doing. Not an injury prone one-season wonder but still hard to trade O'Reilly for him. Especially after all the issues the Avs have had with concussions recently.
I don't think so.

Gardiner has been overhyped because he's on the Leafs.


I will admit that he did have a hell of a playoffs. He looked very good and calm with the puck. That Gardiner I would love to have on the Avs. But its still a small sample size, not and indication that this is the player he will be.

But during the regular season he looked awful almost all year. Barrie was much better then him Defensively, and Offensively they were close.


Now, Im not saying Barrie is a better prospect then Gardiner. I still think Gardiner has an edge on Barrie, he has a higher top end potential then Barrie(Gardiner has #1/2 potential IMO, Barrie has #2/3) and at times(Like the playoffs this year) looked well on his way to reaching that potential, BUT I would rather we just hang on to our guys in Barrie/Elliott/Jones then move a valuable asset like Stastny to only pick up a marginal gain over Barrie in Gardiner.


If we move Stastny, I would rather it be for a young top 9 forward with Top 6 potential(Brassard would have been awesome) then to move it for a Dman.

Were a lot weaker on the Wing then on Defense.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:30 PM
  #31
AnthonyJohnson
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
The Maple Leafs could certainly use a top 6 center like Paul Stastny on their roster, however it will cost them. The Avalanche will likely be interested in acquiring a defenseman. I would imagine they would be interested in either Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly. But let's be honest here, there is no chance the Maple Leafs are acquiring Paul Stastny at the cost of one of those two.

 
Old
05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
  #32
Kbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,484
vCash: 500
I'd prefer to wait a year when he becomes a UFA. 1 year of Stastny isn't worth Gardiner.

Kbs is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
  #33
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I don't think so.

Gardiner has been overhyped because he's on the Leafs.


I will admit that he did have a hell of a playoffs. He looked very good and calm with the puck. That Gardiner I would love to have on the Avs. But its still a small sample size, not and indication that this is the player he will be.
He played in the playoffs like he had when he was here, healthy. He was playing great for the Marlies but suffered a concussion. Didn't recover during the playoffs. Same happened to Reimer last year when he was run over by Gionta. I think it's fair to say he wasn't the same after his head injury. His play in the playoffs wasn't an aberration as much as it was a normalization to his previous form.

If you watched the series, you can see why we love him. He's not amazing defensively, but boy can he skate and pass out of traffic. He doesn't need to play defense half the time with his ability to create and hold possession whenever he's on the ice. There are only a handful of skaters I've seen in the league, as good as he has shown thus far.

firstemperor is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  #34
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,843
vCash: 500
It is PAINFULLY clear that those who say Statsny is not #1 do not watch hockey outside of Toronto.

Statsny skill set has not declined his quality of linemates has, the fact that he can put 55+ points playing with the GARBAGE he does shows how good he is.

You put Statsny with either combo of Kessel, JVR, OR Kessel, Lupul and you have one of the top lines in the NHL and that's a FACT.

Now avs fans I have something to say to ALL of you I know you don't think you are being unrealistic when you ask for Gardiner and usually you'd be right.

BUT in this case you are being unrealistic his value HAS lowered and it has NOTHING to do with his point production. Statsny value has lowered for the same reason Kessel, value is lower then it should be.

Because both are in the final year of their deals and you don't get full value for players in the final year of their contracts you just don't .

What i'm saying is unless a deal happens put this up until the deadline if the avs are out THEN discuss it because then we will have a better idea what his worth is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
  #35
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,843
vCash: 500
It is PAINFULLY clear that those who say Statsny is not #1 do not watch hockey outside of Toronto.

Statsny skill set has not declined his quality of linemates has, the fact that he can put 55+ points playing with the GARBAGE he does shows how good he is.

You put Statsny with either combo of Kessel, JVR, OR Kessel, Lupul and you have one of the top lines in the NHL and that's a FACT.

Now avs fans I have something to say to ALL of you I know you don't think you are being unrealistic when you ask for Gardiner and usually you'd be right.

BUT in this case you are being unrealistic his value HAS lowered and it has NOTHING to do with his point production. Statsny value has lowered for the same reason Kessel, value is lower then it should be.

Because both are in the final year of their deals and you don't get full value for players in the final year of their contracts you just don't .

What i'm saying is unless a deal happens put this up until the deadline if the avs are out THEN discuss it because then we will have a better idea what his worth is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now  
Old
05-15-2013, 11:06 PM
  #36
OLUSAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
I do think a deal for Stastny to the Leafs could work without Gardiner/Reilly that would be fair

Seems like a lot of Col fans would be happy with a deal based around Perron/Stastny with St.L so is Kulemin + really that far off?

OLUSAF is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 11:09 PM
  #37
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Statsny is not a #1 Center.

Argument about Kessel's line being one of the best in the league with Statsny is irrelevant. It's Kessel, he's a PPG player despite Bozak and centering him, not because of him.

firstemperor is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
  #38
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLUSAF View Post
I do think a deal for Stastny to the Leafs could work without Gardiner/Reilly that would be fair

Seems like a lot of Col fans would be happy with a deal based around Perron/Stastny with St.L so is Kulemin + really that far off?
Yes it is. Comparable would be JVR and not Kulemin I guess.
But it is not like TOR wants to move him either.

The players / assets you can afford to lose in exchange for Stastny do nothing or only very little for the Avs. That is the problem with any of those proposals...

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
05-15-2013, 11:42 PM
  #39
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 542
I don't really expect to get much for Stastny given his production and contract status but Gunnarsson and Colborne aren't exactly players I'd be excited to get back. I'd rather keep him if he'll re-sign with us than trade him for something like that. If he won't re-sign then I suppose he'll be moved at the deadline for late 1st + something which will be a waste but what can you do.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 04:11 PM
  #40
ReimerIsFuture
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
No way we give away Gardiner for Stastny. He's a UFA in 2014 and he's had down seasons ever since 2010 or 2011. We don't need another undersized centre.

The only trade we'd make involving Gardiner is for Couturier.

ReimerIsFuture is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 04:34 PM
  #41
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerIsFuture View Post
No way we give away Gardiner for Stastny. He's a UFA in 2014 and he's had down seasons ever since 2010 or 2011. We don't need another undersized centre.

The only trade we'd make involving Gardiner is for Couturier.
didn't know stastny was undersized.

the average forward in the league is 6'1 202

stastny is 6'0 205

seems like he's on par with the average.

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  #42
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
didn't know stastny was undersized.

the average forward in the league is 6'1 202

stastny is 6'0 205

seems like he's on par with the average.
Not to mention he excels playing down low, and isn't afraid to go to the net. It's near impossible to knock the guy off his skates when he's doing this too.

CB Joe is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 07:41 PM
  #43
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,319
vCash: 50
The Constant Gardiner.

TwoPadStack is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  #44
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Actually I don't think the Avs should have any interest in Gardiner.

We don't need Defense especially one like Gardiner who extremely Offensive and not very Defensive. We already have Barrie and Elliott who are similar to Gardiner and we will have Jones as well before long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I will admit that he did have a hell of a playoffs. He looked very good and calm with the puck. That Gardiner I would love to have on the Avs. But its still a small sample size, not and indication that this is the player he will be.

But during the regular season he looked awful almost all year. Barrie was much better then him Defensively, and Offensively they were close.


Now, Im not saying Barrie is a better prospect then Gardiner. I still think Gardiner has an edge on Barrie, he has a higher top end potential then Barrie(Gardiner has #1/2 potential IMO, Barrie has #2/3) and at times(Like the playoffs this year) looked well on his way to reaching that potential, BUT I would rather we just hang on to our guys in Barrie/Elliott/Jones then move a valuable asset like Stastny to only pick up a marginal gain over Barrie in Gardiner.


If we move Stastny, I would rather it be for a young top 9 forward with Top 6 potential(Brassard would have been awesome) then to move it for a Dman.

Were a lot weaker on the Wing then on Defense.
Ugh.
There are many Colorado fans I've seen in these Stastny threads that just have no interest in being both realistic or willing to give other players the credit they deserve.

Gardiner is on a completely different level than Barrie and especially Elliott.

You say he had a great playoffs, yet was "awful during the regular season". I say to you, check the stats.
http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results
*Also, Ryan O'Byrne is just about the worst hockey player I've ever seen. Thanks for nothing

Gardiner was wrongly used and the idea of him playing poorly was a myth. Even the Toronto media which loves to get on players had nothing poorly to say of Gardiner. Carlyle was being Carlyle and giving icetime to the veterans.

Also in regards to the "small sample size" of success. You do realize Gardiner has a full season of tape that suggest he can play even better than he did in the playoffs? There were times last year where he took over games. Just completely dominates the ice with his skating ability.

The answer is no, he'll never get traded for Paul Stastny. He'll never get traded in general. He's the face of our defense moving forward and I'll stand by my comments that he's going to be better than Rielly.

Anth93 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
  #45
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,275
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Ugh.
There are many Colorado fans I've seen in these Stastny threads that just have no interest in being both realistic or willing to give other players the credit they deserve.

Gardiner is on a completely different level than Barrie and especially Elliott.


I'll stand by my comments that he's going to be better than Rielly.
I really wanted to argue with you until I saw that last line. You seem to have an unreasonable affinity towards Gardiner, so that's your business. Just let us live in willful ignorance regarding Barrie for the time being.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:07 PM
  #46
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I really wanted to argue with you until I saw that last line. You seem to have an unreasonable affinity towards Gardiner, so that's your business. Just let us live in willful ignorance regarding Barrie for the time being.
It's pretty hard not to be after watching what he did in the playoffs and being reassured that he can mesh with Carlyle.

Barrie is a good prospect. A top 4 guy all the way. I'm just not gonna watch people say that Gardiner is a comparable player. As far as I'm concerned it's like comparing Duchene to Kadri. One is extremely dynamic and can do things that only a select few can, while the other fits in with the rest of the pack.


Last edited by Anth93: 05-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Anth93 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:10 PM
  #47
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,893
vCash: 500
A deal between Colorado and Toronto is more likely now that Burke and Lacroix are out of the equation, but I still have enough spite left over to hope Stas' next employer isn't MLSE.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
  #48
WTFMAN99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 500
Frattin, Ashton, a 1st (this year at the draft), and a conditional 2nd based on Stastny signing an extension for *drum roll* Stastny...

WTFMAN99 is online now  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
  #49
Paladin2799
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Frattin, Ashton, a 1st (this year at the draft), and a conditional 2nd based on Stastny signing an extension for *drum roll* Stastny...
I think you give up colborne, Ashton, and a 2013 first for Statsny and a 2nd.

Dont resign bozak and roll Statsny-Grabo-Kadri-McClement.

Paladin2799 is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:32 PM
  #50
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I think you give up colborne, Ashton, and a 2013 first for Statsny and a 2nd.

Dont resign bozak and roll Statsny-Grabo-Kadri-McClement.
You do realize our 2nd is literally a late 1st right? We move up 11 spots and get Colborne and Ashton?


I'd rather just keep Stastny.

Avs44 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.