HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone concerned with our goaltending?

Old
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Ford Prefect

vCash: 500
Anyone concerned with our goaltending?

I know, it's just preseason, but is anyone a little weary of our goaltending situation? We let in the most goals in the entire NHL over the preseason (33 goals in 8 games). Now I know it really doesn't mean anything, but what concerns me is that with the exception of Price, none of our goaltenders (from all accounts) have looked particularily sharp. You're supposed to improve over the course of the preseason, and from what I've read that has not been the case for either of our goalies. I know, too early to hit the panic button, expecially since we MAY have just upgraded our defence (depending on the reports of the degredation of Ninimaa's skills). Anyone else a little worried?

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:00 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
If Carbo can bring a tight system, our goalies will flourish. If we play poor team defense, than it will be a long and painful season guys. I don't think Huet will save our skins this year, we have to help him. He is a great goalie, but last year he did it all by himself, he was superman.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
GoodKiwi

I am right this moment. Watching Huet let in 5 goals on 10 shots last night was pitiful.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Im concerned about Huet but im sure he will get his game back.We shouldn't worry we have the best duo in the East,if Huet plays bad we can always count on Aebischer

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:05 PM
HabsUnited

I am worried a bit as Huet stunk up the joint last night. Even when the pucks weren't going in, he was fighting the puck all game, even when handling it outside of his net. He seemed nervous. Hopefully the pressure of being #1 isn't getting to him and he's just getting warmed up.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Habitant#1

The odds of all three of Huet, Aebischer and Danis playing like crap are very low. There should always be one of them playing decently at the very least.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm worried and the Habs brass are as well. You don't give #1 goalie money to a guy and keep another one in case of.....Obviously, it's also possible that nobody wanted Aebi, I wouldn't want him either. If so, means a lot about the quality of our duo. Still have confidence in Huet, none in Aebi, but don't disregard the possibility of seeing Danis coming later this year. I have a lot of confidence in Danis' positioning and relative poise in the net. We will see him this year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
The odds of all three of Huet, Aebischer and Danis playing like crap are very low. There should always be one of them playing decently at the very least.
All three of them were pretty bad in the pre-season pretty much every night they played.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:22 PM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
All three of them were pretty bad in the pre-season pretty much every night they played.

Huet wiil be fine

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:25 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy View Post
Huet wiil be fine
Don't get me wrong, I'm as big of a Huet supporter as the next guy, but what makes you so confident? I haven't seen it so far in his play, and he was mediocre last night letting in some softies. And please don't tell me that it's just pre-season, because if you don't put your full effort in the last practice game before the real thing then you got issues.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:36 PM
MM425

Luongo, Ward, and Gerber (just to name a few) also haven't exactally dominated the pre-season... does that mean their teams are in trouble?

It traditionally takes goalies a litte bit longer to get back into the swing of things... not to worry.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:45 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Luongo, Ward, and Gerber (just to name a few) also haven't exactally dominated the pre-season... does that mean their teams are in trouble?

It traditionally takes goalies a litte bit longer to get back into the swing of things... not to worry.
Yes, but those(except Ward, who is also a gamble for Carolina) have proven themselves to be starters in the regular season. Huet does not have one full season under his belt yet hence my worries.

Oh, and Gerber's performance against our Habs last night was head and shoulders above Huet's.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Yeah, but they played behind an AHL defense most of the time.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Evil Ted

To most fans I think Huet should be somewhat of a question mark, Im not saying hes going to be subpar, but I also don't think he will be able to duplicate the numbers he put up last year although I hope he proves me wrong.

I wouldnt be surprised if by xmas abby is our starter just because if Huet really is as good as he played lastyear down the stretch he would have been a starter in the NHL a long time ago.

Having said that again we always can fall back on Abby he has a little more expereince at the NHL level then Huet at this point, if Huet works out Abby could become trade bait for us to land a 2nd line center if pleks or whoever cannot stand up.

I am worried slightly, but we have nice insurance measures with having both Abby and Huet both of which could have been starters on alot of NHL teams lastyear with there performences.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

As others have said, I'm not worried about our goaltending. While we don't have a clear, obvious starter, I think we have the depth to juggle a bit a find our man for this season. In fact, with Theo gone, it may be even easier since we won't have a controversy if Aebischer end up our starter down the road.

And anyway... is there any shackier position in hockey than goaltending? IMHO, very very few goalers in the NHL have the consistency to deserve a superstar sallary. Most have one or two great seasons because the stars where right, and the rest of their career is so-so.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:02 PM
plafleur10

Huet

I am VERY concerned that Huet is a pure flash in the pan and that his style and weaknesses have now become obvious to opponents and will be exploited. Aebisher is a notable slow starter so ther ecould be some long nights at the start of teh season at least....

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Tricolore#20

I am somewhat worried about Huet's performances during the preseason. I'm not sure what the issue is, whether it is because goalies in general need more time to get back into it, or whether he has had issues with equipment (all of his equipment is new), or whether teams have genuinely figured him out. I've thought all along though that David Aebischer's role will become important this year, since Huet has never been in this position before. Even though he was annointed as a starter last year after Theo got traded, he could still have had the excuse that he was merely a stop gap. This year, he doesn't have the luxury, and will face the pressure of every fan, considering the contract he got. If anyone can live up to it, it is the mild-demeanoured Huet. However, I have my doubts about whether it was Huet last year, or the overall team defense (which kept shots more to the outside) that contributed to his success. Undoubtedly, Huet was spectacular, but our defense changed when he was in the net as opposed to Theo.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Huet scared me for sure last night but played shutdown in the third (even know the Sens blew 2 Monster chances). I hope he does well but am not confident either.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:10 PM
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we all said this about Jose Theodore at the beginning of last season...

jazzyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:17 PM
AH

It took Huet a few games after the long layoff last season to get his game going.

We need to wait to see how it turns out.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Ummm, guys, Huet hasn't played hockey since June, give him a bit of time to adjust and get the rust off of him.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
White Snake*

Talking about teams having a goalie's number it is great to have Gerber in our division. We average 6 goals a game on this guy.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypopsiclemelts View Post
I'm pretty sure we all said this about Jose Theodore at the beginning of last season...
Theodore obviously couldn't handle the pressure of playing in Montreal and let being the team's "golden boy" go to his head.

Huet on the other hand is low key and virtually emotoinless. I have a very hard time believing he'll crack under the pressure of Montreal based on what he showed last year.

And hypothetically, if for whatever reason Huet doesn't work out, the Canadiens have not one but 2 NHL calibre goalies to fall back on in Aebisher and Danis. I really doubt all 3 of them will struggle throughout the balance of the year.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
And hypothetically, if for whatever reason Huet doesn't work out, the Canadiens have not one but 2 NHL calibre goalies to fall back on in Aebisher and Danis. I really doubt all 3 of them will struggle throughout the balance of the year.
Problem is, Aebischer sucks. Danis isn't much better, if at all. Neither is starter material. If Huet sucks, we're basically stuck with a bunch of decent backup goaltenders. Aebischer and Danis isn't exactly a very good backup plan.

It's a bit early to tell whether Huet can be a good number one goaltender so we'll have to wait and see.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I'll worry if we are letting in well over 3 a game 20 gams into the season. It is still early and I still have faith that Huet can handle things.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote