HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 18 • Semifinal • Finland vs. Sweden (stats in post #2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 06:45 PM
edinson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
I can't come up with better MVP's in any other WC than the Sedins, they (and Enroth) are this team. Arguments can always be made for goalies but they would win MVP on almost every successful team. Two guys coming in late turning a horrible team to a finalist single-handedly, has that ever happened before?
I agree that they've been our clearly best players since they joined and the single reason we're even in contention for the gold. I just disagree that this single performance puts them on a level close to players who have been equally (or, if you want, at least nearly as) impressive repeatedly.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Well, considering I wrote "We're missing more than 25 of our best players. You can start with goalies: Rinne, Rask, Niemi, Lehtonen, Bäckström, Vehanen, Kiprusoff...", I think it is clear that the reader is assumed to have the capability to connect the dots. Apparently this is not the case...so I'll spell it out: we were missing a few dozen of our best players and the list starts with goalies, feel free to continue.
Cool. We had all our best players.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinson View Post
I agree that they've been our clearly best players since they joined and the single reason we're even in contention for the gold. I just disagree that this single performance puts them on a level close to players who have been equally (or, if you want, at least nearly as) impressive repeatedly.
No, they have to play some more tournaments for us to get that kind of status. A win tomorrow would be a good step.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
High five

Old
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Ola

The Sedins where truly awesome in this game.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:53 PM
NuxFan09

Ya know, I'm really happy the Sedins are having such great success for Sweden at the WC's this year. They've been getting some serious flak on the Canucks boards (from me included, I admit) and there was a time when most Swedes even seemed to not like them. Ever since they joined Sweden this year for the WC's, it seems like they have won back a lot of fans, especially Swedish fans.

Hank and Daniel really needed this with the Canucks' season ending so badly.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
And here comes a third opinion

I think the truth is somewhere in between. They are certainly not on the level of Forsberg and Sundin but Tre Kronor wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of playing the final if it wasn't for the Sedins and when was the last time we saw that kind of impact on a Swedish team........Peter and Mats. The difference with Sundin and Forsberg is that they did it again and again. Still, you could do a whole lot worse than having 1 tournament that bring peoples mind to the great ones
They also did it when the hockey world championship was a big deal in Sweden.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:58 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Alright. Back to the topic at hand now. You can go start a thread in the Polls section if you want to discuss who has better depth.
I hate sounding like a broken record, but the discussion actually fit pretty well in this topic, because a) it was admitted by both Swedes and Finns alike that the Sedins were the difference makers in this game, and b) it's not really a pollable "yes" or "no" question - because the comparison of player quality between various Euro leagues is a much more convoluted issue than comparing the number of NHLers.

But eh. If you don't want that discussion here, I'll shut up now. Your house, your rules.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:58 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
TSN not televising this until evening. I'm going to go ahead and guess that's a tape delay.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:56 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobHoc View Post
STOP IT....just stop!

Your top 5 guy in NHL in points...Filppula had 17 points this year....17. Sweden had 19...i repeat 19 players that scored 17 points or more in NHL this season. Yes, you miss some players....but so does Sweden. And this is a GOOD thing for you!
Good for us? You got 9 NHL players on your team, we got one and another one who is an AHL player. We had 13 rookies who had never before played in the WC or Olympics. But keep thinking whatever you want, I am done with you.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:58 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Of course, comprehension can not be forced on anyone...so carry on.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Hasa92

Can't believe that we lost to such a weak team. Oh well atleast Switzerland made the finals, hope they win the gold. Bronze medal game doesn't really interest me at all thou... but ofc i still hope we get atleast a medal even if it is 3rd class medal.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:40 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
Can't believe that we lost to such a weak team. Oh well atleast Switzerland made the finals, hope they win the gold. Bronze medal game doesn't really interest me at all thou... but ofc i still hope we get atleast a medal even if it is 3rd class medal.
Yeah it's not the best team we've had. Still played better than Finland though.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Hasa92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
True and we didn't exactly have the best team either, still i tought the game would have been at least a bit more close, i expected us to win 4 - 2 because of the way our team had played in the tournament and Swedish team didn't seem that good before this game, well you got Sedins but i didn't think we would be completetly shut-out.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I think Finland played better than the most of your team, but Sedins-Eriksson line was just too good. Enroth was great for you guys, too.

Anyways, congrats Sweden and see you next time!

Old
05-19-2013, 05:08 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Good for us? You got 9 NHL players on your team, we got one and another one who is an AHL player. We had 13 rookies who had never before played in the WC or Olympics. But keep thinking whatever you want, I am done with you.
Rule 1. Let the swedes think what they think, it doesn't change anything. If they would've lost, this topic would still be hot, but Swedes would be talking about how they don't care about the tournament anyway. Now its this.

If they win tonight, they care like meh but if they lose they don't care at all. So why to discuss so much about something they don't even care?

Switzerland would be nice winner, they would sure have emotion for it.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:14 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Sure Sweden had more NHL players than Finland, but guess what Sweden actually have more and better NHL-players than Finland so it comes as no surprise.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:23 AM
fredligh

Still amazing how there is still some ******** fins left in this thread

Old
05-19-2013, 05:42 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasa92 View Post
True and we didn't exactly have the best team either, still i tought the game would have been at least a bit more close, i expected us to win 4 - 2 because of the way our team had played in the tournament and Swedish team didn't seem that good before this game, well you got Sedins but i didn't think we would be completetly shut-out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
I think Finland played better than the most of your team, but Sedins-Eriksson line was just too good. Enroth was great for you guys, too.

Anyways, congrats Sweden and see you next time!
Before the semi-final I do agree that Finland played better than Sweden and Sweden would not have been where they are today without the Sedins there's no denying it. Enroth had a solid game but really wasnt tested too much. Not too many scoring chances in this game for either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Rule 1. Let the swedes think what they think, it doesn't change anything. If they would've lost, this topic would still be hot, but Swedes would be talking about how they don't care about the tournament anyway. Now its this.

If they win tonight, they care like meh but if they lose they don't care at all. So why to discuss so much about something they don't even care?

Switzerland would be nice winner, they would sure have emotion for it.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:03 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Still amazing how there is still some ******** fins left in this thread
Not at all. Most of us have admitted (numerous times, in fact) that Sweden was better and that's it. The ones that are left are actually trying to discuss the intricacies of this game. But unfortunately there are some Swedes around who are (perhaps intentionally?) misunderstanding things in order to take cheapshots.

But such is the way some winners behave, so perhaps it is a futile exercise.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:09 AM
JFG

Sweden is just waaaaaay superior to Finland as a hockey nation. It's not even close anymore.

Closed Thread