HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft Thread (Officially Underway!!)

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
McCarron's rights already belong to London. And he was seen at one of their games in the OHL final, so it's possible he goes.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I like Weeger a lot as a Mooseheads fan.. A bit surprised he went ahead of another draft eligible Moose D-man.
Bolded part: me too. I like Murphy's game, too, but, I find Weegar has a great internal compass for carrying the puck up the ice through 3 zones of traffic. It's probably that aspect alone that could vault Weegar above Murphy when the names are called.

And yeah, I definitely would have been considering him for my next pick. Either him of Yakimov, who has fallen almost criminally far at this point.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 05-18-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

With the 131st overall pick the Dallas Stars are pleased to select from the Halifax Mooseheads defenseman MacKenzie Weegar.
Was hoping he'd be forgotten....Very good pick.

Old
05-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
If there was one area of critique at this point I would say the ranking of US players. I was surprised to see Vanelli passed over until the third round in both mock drafts. Pretty sure he'll be going in the top 40, perhaps even the first round. McCarron is also being underrated. 6-5 wingers with his speed and shot don't grow on trees..has more jam/competitiveness than Mantha too.
How about the follwoing Americans? Can Cammerata and Motte do their impression of Gaudreau? Can a big guy like Tschantz rise come draft day or do you see limited upside? Can big Wiley Sherman surprised come draft day? How about Florentino? And I like Clint Lewis...do you?

And my biggest question mark for the Americans....what do you think of Tyler Hill? Can he really be a homerun down the road? Isn't it right now, a raw version of McCarron?

Old
05-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
If there was one area of critique at this point I would say the ranking of US players.
I totally agree, but I can also understand in a mock environment (where few are interested in 3-4 year project player picks). I think people are reluctant to pick a guy who we probably won't be talking about again for (at least) a few years. Also, it seems really hard to gamble on a lot of guys from the USHS/L levels, as there are too many examples of guys who light those levels up yet become little better than B prospects by their 20s. It also tells me something that just about every player from the '11/12 CHL top prospects game got drafted, yet less than half of the '11/12 USHL top prospects game heard their name called. Players going to USHL route presumably aren't being tested at the same level, according to the scouts, so USHL numbers might be taken with a bigger grain of salt - even in context vs their peers?

Old
05-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I totally agree, but I can also understand in a mock environment (where few are interested in 3-4 year project player picks). I think people are reluctant to pick a guy who we probably won't be talking about again for (at least) a few years. Also, it seems really hard to gamble on a lot of guys from the USHS/L levels, as there are too many examples of guys who light those levels up yet become little better than B prospects by their 20s. It also tells me something that just about every player from the '11/12 CHL top prospects game got drafted, yet less than half of the '11/12 USHL top prospects game heard their name called. Players going to USHL route presumably aren't being tested at the same level, according to the scouts, so USHL numbers might be taken with a bigger grain of salt - even in context vs their peers?
You also have to hope that people concentrate more on players that have seen more which is unfortunately less the case for US players. And then you take some chances with what you read and the analysis you can make based on numbers and all. Especially top 3 rounds. A guy like Vanelli is not a household name....but for real scouts, he has to be. Ian McCoshen was not a really popular name compared to others but you have to be certain that he always was amongst the scouting community.

And it can also be the contrary....Justin Jokinen was born on HF...he became a household name in here....and surely not amongst the scouts community, hence his late pick...hence his career so far.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:18 PM
zaluty

With the 132nd pick the Philadelphia Flyers select from the Kingston Frontenacs Henri Ikonen

Henri came over to NA and played with 2 first round picks next year and showed a great ability to score and play in the corners.

Next GM pm'ed

Old
05-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
With the 132nd pick the Philadelphia Flyers select from the Kingston Frontenacs Henri Ikonen

Henri came over to NA and played with 2 first round picks next year and showed a great ability to score and play in the corners.

Next GM pm'ed
Good pick. I really like Ikonen.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597

With the 133rd pick, the Phoenix Coyotes are proud to select, from Le Drakkar de Baie-Comeau, Jérémy Grégoire

Honestly, I can't believe he's still available! While he won't be a star, he profiles as potentially gritty 3rd line center with some offensive potential. His faceoff work is also quite solid. Once he was traded from Chicoutimi and their big ice surface, he played much better for Baie-Comeau and his development should only continue to go well with a strong coach like Veilleux at the helm.

Phoenix draft:

12. Max Domi
42. Jacob De La Rose
62. Eric Comrie
73. Ryan Fitzgerald
133. Jérémy Grégoire

next GM PM'd.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

With the 133rd pick, the Phoenix Coyotes are proud to select, from Le Drakkar de Baie-Comeau, Jérémy Grégoire
Yeah...I can't believe it either....It was obviously between him and my goalie with the Pittsburgh pick. I tried to be imaginative....I will surely regret it....From now on, I don't care if I'm obvious.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
I hate you.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

hah. awesome troll pick. Love it.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
hah. awesome troll pick. Love it.
I want a mulligan....

I would like to protest....I've been bullied by the members of this board. They FORCED me in not being obvious. I picked against my will! Somebody call 9-1-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
05-18-2013, 08:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I want a mulligan....
Don't worry about it. If that's as bad as your mulligan gets, you're already ahead of your draft last year!

Old
05-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Don't worry about it. If that's as bad as your mulligan gets, you're already ahead of your draft last year!
Hell, he probably has a shot at drafting ol' Slepyshev in the 7th round.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
Hell, he probably has a shot at drafting ol' Slepyshev in the 7th round.
We will see who will get the last laugh....Slepyshev will be the MVP one day.....in the KHL but MVP nonetheless. And I told you all....I'm not picking him. I had already picked him.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
We will see who will get the last laugh....Slepyshev will be the MVP one day.....in the KHL but MVP nonetheless. And I told you all....I'm not picking him. I had already picked him.
I feel the same way about picking Myles Bell in this year's mock. Got him last year, I'm satisfied

Old
05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Since I don't get a pick this round and it's close to where I would be picking, I'm just posting my picks so far. Pretty happy so far with my turnout despite the lack of a first round pick.

Marko Dano (2nd round)
Myles Bell (3rd round)
Andreas Johnson (4th round)
Andrei Mironov (4th round)

Old
05-18-2013, 10:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Was hoping he'd be forgotten....Very good pick.
I saw you drop his name in the draft thread...knew I had to act quickly

Old
05-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
There's one of the French names I alluded to earlier. Solid pick, imo.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Good pick. I really like Ikonen.
Gotta say, 180th among NA skaters seems low to me. I know he's an overager and all, but...

Old
05-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I saw you drop his name in the draft thread...knew I had to act quickly
Quickly? Next Pens pick is in the 27th round....

Old
05-19-2013, 06:29 AM
HomaridII

Winnipeg selects winger Alex Kile.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:59 AM
TinordiandSubban

flames

At 135th the Calgary Flames select, from the Oshawa Generals of the OHL, C Cole Cassels.

"He's had a quiet season, playing a solid two-way game, but we feel he has potential for much more. He's the son of a former Hab (another bad trade in the 90s) and he passes the puck as well as his Dad used to. Next year with Laughton and Jenner in the pros he'll need to step up and show his skills in the Top 6."

Old
05-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Still plenty of untapped NHL bloodline out there, too. Going to make for some potentially interesting late picks that might end up to be real steals down the road.

Closed Thread