HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
POTY!

Why not buy out Richards and look towards Free Agency for a new center? Not sue if he is still available, but Ryan Getzlaf would be the perfect signing for this team IMO
He signed an eight year extension, but after that he'll be at the perfect stage of his career to sign with the Rangers.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:05 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
an expensive long term contract to replace richards expensive long term contract should not be an option moving forward if/when richards is bought out. I'm more than fine signing a short term option to a reasonable contract to fill a void if there even is one. The last thing this team needs is another "Super Star" acquisition with too many expectations and a bad contract he will never live up to. There are more prudent ways to spend the cap room this team will have when Richards is gone.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:17 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Enough with the big names. The Boston team isn't made up of big names. That group of players has been together for a while. No major renovations every year.

Old
05-18-2013, 07:21 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Weber is signed until he is 40. Keep swinging for the fences.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Enough with the big names. The Boston team isn't made up of big names. That group of players has been together for a while. No major renovations every year.
Totally agree.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake or Death View Post
Totally agree.
same here.... they play more as a team... their biggest UFA signing happened to be Chara and that worked well for them as well as Savard till he got hurt but that punk Matt Cooke.. too bad Chara didnt sign here..

Old
05-18-2013, 09:13 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Confession bear:

Since Richards has been so bad, I still really wish we added Gomez

Confession bear 2:

I still believe that Richards can turn it around.

He has the IQ, he just needs to get out of whatever mental brain funk he is in right now.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think this is a type of series where Richards could get 'lost' in the games, in a good way. He's very adept at reading the ice, even through the rough time he's having right now. I'll keep making excuses for him because he's a heady player with a playoff history.

This isn't going to be an ultra fast pace he's got to negotiate and I think he'll be able to find some holes and open areas of the ice in what will be a very deliberate style of game against Boston. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way back onto a line with Nash before this series is over.
This doesn't make exucses for hima t all it's just you being hopeful which is alright. He's played well in games this year he's just consistently a garbage can. But there's no reason to be surprised by a good game here or that it's possible.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Great minds
I said great minds think alike to some1 the other day then I realized if two people decide to play in traffic are they really such great minds despite thinking alike? This has NOTHING to do with your post I am not calling you an idiot I just happened to think about this and here you are posting "great minds" so I figured shoot I'll bring it up as food for thought.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:44 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
For the record I wanted all of them...The declines of Gomez,Redden and Richards so early on with us is just amazing...I also want Clowe so maybe thats a bad signing in the waiting too?? Thank God I dont get paid to make these decisions.
That made me chuckle pretty hard. It's tough to decide but I think Gomer gets my nod as the worst. One reason I felt Richards may not be the worst is b/c this was a good risk to take and nobody predicted this drop off it's legendary. I always hated the years on this contract but understood why we took the risk. I mean anybody who says they thought he'd deteriorate like this before his 3rd season was over is prob a liar. He was signed to be really good for 3 years b/c that was our best cup window. I agree with the risk.

Anyway with Redden there was zero reason to sign him, the years and terms and money were all horrendous and he had zero trade value. For that reason he's the been the worst one to me. Having the ability to shuttle him to the AHL at any point in time though makes this easier to swallow we literally had a get out of jail card built into the contract itself so that sort of removes him from contention as the absolute worst contract. He did count against the summer cap but that wasn't too big of a deal

Gomez was a good player but if we had not traded him oh boy...I think Richards clutch plays last year might make Gomez the worst signing except he was a valuable commodity which we were able to trade. Richards is so horrendous we can't even trade him. SO to me that last fact makes Richards the worst. Then again Gainey might have been the only idiot on earth to actually value Gomer (besides obviously Sather) so should I allow Gainey's idiocy to overrule how terribl the gomer signing was? The years, the dropoff, he never fit the role the team set up for him, his production in the past was never even close to big Brich's and we let go of Jagr and couldn't sign Kovie...ooo boy this is a toughie but perhaps I have to give this to Gomer after all. Even when you win Gomer...you lose

Last edited by shinchanyo: 05-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old
05-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Vitto79

So buyout this summer or next? Seems inevitable

Old
05-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Beardacus
Ice 1 - Brodeur 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
I'm thinking at least give him 1 more shot next year, with a full camp, but if he doesn't come out flying, is it possible to buy him out during the season?
No. No. No. No.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So buyout this summer or next? Seems inevitable
btw Stephen Weiss had a bad yr but maybe sign him if they buyout Richards, one may depend on the other

Old
05-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Leetch66

Use our last CCBO on Brad...and sign T Bozak from leafs for 4-5 Million and then at least we have a CI guy who is young & that is strong on FO's with some offensive upside . Face offs are such an important part of the game these days...could also help our PP with some more puck possession and creativity .

Last edited by Leetch66: 05-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 05:53 PM
LetterJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Use our last CCBO on Brad...and sign Ryan Bozak from leafs for 4-5 Million and then at least we have a CI guy who is young & that is strong on FO's with some offensive upside . Face offs are such an important part of the game these days...could also help our PP with some more puck possession and creativity .
Not really sold on Tyler Bozak at 4-5 million. Once we use this compliance buyout, there are NO others.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:02 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Use our last CCBO on Brad...and sign Ryan Bozak from leafs for 4-5 Million and then at least we have a CI guy who is young & that is strong on FO's with some offensive upside . Face offs are such an important part of the game these days...could also help our PP with some more puck possession and creativity .
TYLER Bozak barely a second liner. Overpaying second/third liners is exactly the opposite of what we want to do at this point. Some people never learn.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
If we're gonn get Ryan Bozak we might as well trade Ryan McDonald for him.

Old
05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
dethomas07

rather buy brad out and revisit the mdz for ror trade (doubtfuL) or rather play JT Mills... i think with a summer training and practicing with the boys, a full NYR training camp and full season he will be a helluva a lot better... guy has the size and we saw glimpse of the skill he can bring..

Old
05-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Leetch66

LOL...maybe I should have referred to Bozak as player # whatever LOL . I guess I had Ryan on the brain . I think a 2nd line center strong on the draws will be at least 4-5 Million ...especially one that takes every offensive and important draw . He owned Bergeron until he got hurt .

Old
05-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
LOL...maybe I should have referred to Bozak as player # whatever LOL . I guess I had Ryan on the brain . I think a 2nd line center strong on the draws will be at least 4-5 Million ...especially one that takes every offensive and important draw . He owned Bergeron until he got hurt .
Maybe you should forget about that altogether.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
16 To Stanley*

Wow, people really don't know anything about Bozak other than his name. He's not a terrible player to have, but at 4-5 Mil, his contract would be considered as bad as Richards.

Buy Richards out after this season, Stepan and Brass are certainly capable of play 1A/1B. It's not ideal and we will still be lacking a true #1C, but those don't grow on trees. Sign a stop gab #3/#4 or let JT Miller slot into the #3 spot full-time next season and deal with his growing pains.

After next season you can spend that Richards cap space elsewhere on the offense.

Stepan
Brass
Miller
Boyle

Not ideal, but better to get Richards contract off the books at this point. We'll be free to sign/trade after next year.

2014 Free Agents (Note: Most of these guys will probably sign extensions before reaching FA)

Malkin
J. Thornton
Vanek
Sedins
Gaborik
P. Statsny
Kessel
Datsyuk
Pominville
P. Bergeron
Heatley
Pavelski

There are options in that group. Now most won't make it to FA and who knows what could happen with trades, but buying out Richards will give us flexibility to add a decent/good/potentially elite scorer in 2014

Old
05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
2014 Free Agents (Note: Most of these guys will probably sign extensions before reaching FA)

Malkin-Never, he isn't going anywhere.
J. Thornton-no way too old and way too soft to give big money
Vanek-probably not
Sedins- will be signed
Gaborik- been there done that
P. Statsny- will be signed
Kessel- rather not
Datsyuk- will be 34 and signed
Pominville- Probably retained
P. Bergeron- Boston is not letting him go anywhere
Heatley- Melanoma
Pavelski- Not sure

There are options in that group. Now most won't make it to FA and who knows what could happen with trades, but buying out Richards will give us flexibility to add a decent/good/potentially elite scorer in 2014
MY .02, I realize that you said most will be resigned, I am not trying to be critical of you, just using your list, yeah I am lazy. lol

As far as Centers next year, I would include Lindberg as he may have a good shot at being the #4 center by mid season. He was damn good in the SEL and by all reports playing well in the WC's.

Yes, absolutely buy out Brad, no offense, I like the guy. However, I wouldn't take the chance it was mental and fixable. Let him fix it somewhere else. Just move on and cut your losses.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:52 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
MY .02, I realize that you said most will be resigned, I am not trying to be critical of you, just using your list, yeah I am lazy. lol

As far as Centers next year, I would include Lindberg as he may have a good shot at being the #4 center by mid season. He was damn good in the SEL and by all reports playing well in the WC's.

Yes, absolutely buy out Brad, no offense, I like the guy. However, I wouldn't take the chance it was mental and fixable. Let him fix it somewhere else. Just move on and cut your losses.
I wasn't necessarily saying to go after those guys or that those were the fits for the team, I was just proving that there are options. Also, as we saw with the Gabby/Nash trades, there are options to fill holes via trade. There are always guys who provide offense available on the market.

We also have some very promising talent in our system as well. I still firmly believe Kreider will be a high level player at the NHL level. I think Miller is going to be a good 2nd line/3rd line C and who knows about some of our up and coming wild cards, Fast, Lindberg, etc.

Regardless, buying out Richards shouldn't even be a thought at this point, it should be the plan. I'd rather get it done sooner than later as well.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post

What's wrong with Kessel? I agree with most everything else, but I'm curious about Kessel.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:03 AM
aufheben
Jung at heart

vCash: 50
Buying Richards out does not mean we have to, or should, go out and buy another expensive toy. Don't people learn? I'm fine with Stepan-Brass as the 1-2.

Closed Thread