HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
I never said he was bad but obviously at 40 he's not the player he once was. And second of all, Crosby and Malkin are the 2 best players in the game, a spot Alfreddson never sniffed in his prime.

sooo you kinda missed the point
Hrm...ALfredsson was 5th in Hart voting in 2006 and arguably one of the best two-way wingers in that period. Perhaps "never sniffed in his prime" is a slight understatement on your part?

I may have missed your meaning though and for that, I apologize.
Of course, tomorrow is a new ball game...Spezza back, Senators on home ice, the pressure on the Penguins to get at least a split on the road.

Old
05-18-2013, 09:46 PM
NeedleInTheHay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Hrm...ALfredsson was 5th in Hart voting in 2006 and arguably one of the best two-way wingers in that period. Perhaps "never sniffed in his prime" is a slight understatement on your part?

I may have missed your meaning though and for that, I apologize.
Of course, tomorrow is a new ball game...Spezza back, Senators on home ice, the pressure on the Penguins to get at least a split on the road.

maybe the slightest understatement

But I don't think anyone ever considered him a top 5 player or even top 10 for more than a season, he's similar to Hossa or Elias in my eyes, an amazing player but never in the very top tier of elite forwards.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
swaggerjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Senators' home record:

Reg season: 15-6-3
Playoffs: 2-0-0

This series starts tomorrow.
A week ago it was 'Sens in 3'.

Series starts tomorrow? Word.

Spezza with a bummed back comes back to score 4 points tomorrow. HF board logic.

'Is Pittsburgh overrated?' threads once Karlsson is at 442% tomorrow.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:46 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
Don't see a rusty Spezza doing a lot for the Sens, maybe a few more offensive chances but he's been dominated by the Pens before.

We'll see what happens.
You don't see more offensive chances by Spezza as doing a lot for an offensively challenged Sens team? Please explain.

Also, what do you mean by dominated by the Pens before? Spezza has put up good numbers vs Pittsburgh.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Jaded-Fan

Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most, shocked me really, in game 2 was that it was the Pens who came out flying and desperate, not the Senators. The Pens sort of just ran out the clock at the end, but move aside injuries or talent questions either way, the Senators just plain came out flat, and the Pens came out as if they were the team down 0-1 in the series. Mostly it was Crosby, but the entire team followed his lead. Maybe the Pens learned a lesson from the first round.

I do not expect the same thing in game 3. The Sens have to come out and win or lose leave everything that they have on the ice starting from when the puck drops. The Pens have to be ready for that and at least withstand the initial onslaught if not match it with their own like they did in game 2. Of course I said the same thing before the last game, but this time I have zero doubts it will be so.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerjack View Post
A week ago it was 'Sens in 3'.

Series starts tomorrow? Word.

Spezza with a bummed back comes back to score 4 points tomorrow. HF board logic.

'Is Pittsburgh overrated?' threads once Karlsson is at 442% tomorrow.
People say the Sens have a chance.

That must mean 'Sens in 3'.

HF board logic.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
maybe the slightest understatement

But I don't think anyone ever considered him a top 5 player or even top 10 for more than a season, he's similar to Hossa or Elias in my eyes, an amazing player but never in the very top tier of elite forwards.
Depends on how you define an elite forward. A solid two way player that scores at a point per game clip qualifies in my opinion.

If your definition of an elite forward is a generational talent then I guess Alfredsson doesn't qualify.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Sivek

Series doesn't start until Karlsson is 100%.

The series will never start.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:52 AM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Depends on how you define an elite forward. A solid two way player that scores at a point per game clip qualifies in my opinion.

If your definition of an elite forward is a generational talent then I guess Alfredsson doesn't qualify.
A top tier elite forward to me has to either be a threat every year for 50 goals or 100 points.

Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, and Ovi are the first 4 to come to mind playing right now.

I rate offense more important than defense when it comes to a 1st line forward, so i'd take those type of players over the Hossa, Toews, Bergeon, Elias type players. I'd rather take my chances on winning the game with an elite talent over a steady ppg 2 way player.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most, shocked me really, in game 2 was that it was the Pens who came out flying and desperate, not the Senators. The Pens sort of just ran out the clock at the end, but move aside injuries or talent questions either way, the Senators just plain came out flat, and the Pens came out as if they were the team down 0-1 in the series. Mostly it was Crosby, but the entire team followed his lead. Maybe the Pens learned a lesson from the first round.

I do not expect the same thing in game 3. The Sens have to come out and win or lose leave everything that they have on the ice starting from when the puck drops. The Pens have to be ready for that and at least withstand the initial onslaught if not match it with their own like they did in game 2. Of course I said the same thing before the last game, but this time I have zero doubts it will be so.
The Sens have put out inconsistent efforts frequently this season, seemingly failing to rise to the occasion for critical games. See last two games versus Toronto, last regular season game against Penguins. But they do have bounce-back resilience, especially at home in front if a loud crowd.

It's hard to predict what effort level we'll see, but it seems like Maclean tries to get them to approach the game professionally and tactically before emotionally.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

reality is that the Sens have only come out really hard in one game all playoffs .... . game 3 vs Mtl.

Dont know if it is a strategy or the young players being nervous but it has been frustrating to watch.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Is Anderson getting the start tonight?

Old
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
reality is that the Sens have only come out really hard in one game all playoffs .... . game 3 vs Mtl.

Dont know if it is a strategy or the young players being nervous but it has been frustrating to watch.
Definitely not a strategy. But I think tonight they come out desperate. Pens will have to weather a storm early and then they can throw the pressure right back on Ottawa if they get lucky and are up after one or two periods.

The crowd will be great and the Sens will come out flying. It's what happens when a team goes back home. Either Vokoun needs to steal the show for the Pens or the Sens fail to capitalize on big time chances (a la Pens in Game 2). That would be devastating for the Sens. If the Pens would have scored on a couple more chances in Game 2, it would have never been that close. So if there is a wide open net, Sens have to finish. Then pressure for Game 4 builds.

What will I expect? 1-0 or 2-1 1st period for the Sens. Pens will have to answer in the 2nd/3rd period to win this one. The Sens will go back to relying on their great defense. Frustrating the Pens in the neutral zone all night. This one could find OT.

One major thing to watch for: Sens defense will be activated early. They picked up the pressure on the Pens when they started playing desperate hockey. It was working and I think PM knows. As long as the game is tied, the Sens will activate their defense hard. Pens are going to have to rely on short chips and try to spring some 2 on 1s. If they try to stretch all game, I expect some turnovers to go the Sens way.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post

Uh I hope that's not a strategy.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:54 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Definitely not a strategy. But I think tonight they come out desperate. Pens will have to weather a storm early and then they can throw the pressure right back on Ottawa if they get lucky and are up after one or two periods.

The crowd will be great and the Sens will come out flying. It's what happens when a team goes back home. Either Vokoun needs to steal the show for the Pens or the Sens fail to capitalize on big time chances (a la Pens in Game 2). That would be devastating for the Sens. If the Pens would have scored on a couple more chances in Game 2, it would have never been that close. So if there is a wide open net, Sens have to finish. Then pressure for Game 4 builds.

What will I expect? 1-0 or 2-1 1st period for the Sens. Pens will have to answer in the 2nd/3rd period to win this one. The Sens will go back to relying on their great defense. Frustrating the Pens in the neutral zone all night. This one could find OT.

One major thing to watch for: Sens defense will be activated early. They picked up the pressure on the Pens when they started playing desperate hockey. It was working and I think PM knows. As long as the game is tied, the Sens will activate their defense hard. Pens are going to have to rely on short chips and try to spring some 2 on 1s. If they try to stretch all game, I expect some turnovers to go the Sens way.
Bylsma says hi.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Series doesn't start until Karlsson is 100%.

The series will never start.
Wondering where all the Sens fans that overrated karlsson by saying at 50% he's still the best in the league are?

He's just like Mike Green. Great with the puck, meh without it

Old
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Wondering where all the Sens fans that overrated karlsson by saying at 50% he's still the best in the league are?

He's just like Mike Green. Great with the puck, meh without it
Karlsson vs Green? Thats a tough one.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Karlsson vs Green? Thats a tough one.
Mike Green would have been out for five years with that injury.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
sliceOFtrance

As a Sens fan, I am still worried.

Spezza coming back from a long term injury won't help much.

Maybe it will give the team a boost, but we are still in danger.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:48 AM
DrDangles

Big game for Vokoun tonight, I hope he bounces back. Very mediocre last game minus the breakaway saves.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:52 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post

In the Dead Puck era, no less. I think he was 3rd behin Jagr and Thornton.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:04 PM
playasRus

Just hope for a good hockey game.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:06 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Is Anderson getting the start tonight?
I hope so. I'm more worried about playing Lehner tbh. We seem to have Anderson's card.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:07 PM
MurphyDump

Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.
Bylsma will also ensure the 4th line gets as many starts in the defensive zone against Ottawa's top two lines as possible as well.

Closed Thread