HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2013, 09:22 PM
  #801
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,931
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
I never said he was bad but obviously at 40 he's not the player he once was. And second of all, Crosby and Malkin are the 2 best players in the game, a spot Alfreddson never sniffed in his prime.

sooo you kinda missed the point
Hrm...ALfredsson was 5th in Hart voting in 2006 and arguably one of the best two-way wingers in that period. Perhaps "never sniffed in his prime" is a slight understatement on your part?

I may have missed your meaning though and for that, I apologize.
Of course, tomorrow is a new ball game...Spezza back, Senators on home ice, the pressure on the Penguins to get at least a split on the road.


Melnyks Mirage is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 09:46 PM
  #802
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Hrm...ALfredsson was 5th in Hart voting in 2006 and arguably one of the best two-way wingers in that period. Perhaps "never sniffed in his prime" is a slight understatement on your part?

I may have missed your meaning though and for that, I apologize.
Of course, tomorrow is a new ball game...Spezza back, Senators on home ice, the pressure on the Penguins to get at least a split on the road.

maybe the slightest understatement

But I don't think anyone ever considered him a top 5 player or even top 10 for more than a season, he's similar to Hossa or Elias in my eyes, an amazing player but never in the very top tier of elite forwards.

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
  #803
swaggerjack
Registered User
 
swaggerjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Senators' home record:

Reg season: 15-6-3
Playoffs: 2-0-0

This series starts tomorrow.
A week ago it was 'Sens in 3'.

Series starts tomorrow? Word.

Spezza with a bummed back comes back to score 4 points tomorrow. HF board logic.

'Is Pittsburgh overrated?' threads once Karlsson is at 442% tomorrow.

swaggerjack is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:46 PM
  #804
H2ODP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
Don't see a rusty Spezza doing a lot for the Sens, maybe a few more offensive chances but he's been dominated by the Pens before.

We'll see what happens.
You don't see more offensive chances by Spezza as doing a lot for an offensively challenged Sens team? Please explain.

Also, what do you mean by dominated by the Pens before? Spezza has put up good numbers vs Pittsburgh.

H2ODP is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
  #805
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,819
vCash: 500
Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most, shocked me really, in game 2 was that it was the Pens who came out flying and desperate, not the Senators. The Pens sort of just ran out the clock at the end, but move aside injuries or talent questions either way, the Senators just plain came out flat, and the Pens came out as if they were the team down 0-1 in the series. Mostly it was Crosby, but the entire team followed his lead. Maybe the Pens learned a lesson from the first round.

I do not expect the same thing in game 3. The Sens have to come out and win or lose leave everything that they have on the ice starting from when the puck drops. The Pens have to be ready for that and at least withstand the initial onslaught if not match it with their own like they did in game 2. Of course I said the same thing before the last game, but this time I have zero doubts it will be so.

Jaded-Fan is online now  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:00 PM
  #806
Emerica
Thank You Alfie
 
Emerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerjack View Post
A week ago it was 'Sens in 3'.

Series starts tomorrow? Word.

Spezza with a bummed back comes back to score 4 points tomorrow. HF board logic.

'Is Pittsburgh overrated?' threads once Karlsson is at 442% tomorrow.
People say the Sens have a chance.

That must mean 'Sens in 3'.

HF board logic.

Emerica is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:05 PM
  #807
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
maybe the slightest understatement

But I don't think anyone ever considered him a top 5 player or even top 10 for more than a season, he's similar to Hossa or Elias in my eyes, an amazing player but never in the very top tier of elite forwards.
Depends on how you define an elite forward. A solid two way player that scores at a point per game clip qualifies in my opinion.

If your definition of an elite forward is a generational talent then I guess Alfredsson doesn't qualify.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline  
Old
05-18-2013, 11:28 PM
  #808
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Series doesn't start until Karlsson is 100%.

The series will never start.

Sivek is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:52 AM
  #809
NeedleInTheHay
Registered User
 
NeedleInTheHay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Depends on how you define an elite forward. A solid two way player that scores at a point per game clip qualifies in my opinion.

If your definition of an elite forward is a generational talent then I guess Alfredsson doesn't qualify.
A top tier elite forward to me has to either be a threat every year for 50 goals or 100 points.

Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, and Ovi are the first 4 to come to mind playing right now.

I rate offense more important than defense when it comes to a 1st line forward, so i'd take those type of players over the Hossa, Toews, Bergeon, Elias type players. I'd rather take my chances on winning the game with an elite talent over a steady ppg 2 way player.

NeedleInTheHay is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 06:01 AM
  #810
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most, shocked me really, in game 2 was that it was the Pens who came out flying and desperate, not the Senators. The Pens sort of just ran out the clock at the end, but move aside injuries or talent questions either way, the Senators just plain came out flat, and the Pens came out as if they were the team down 0-1 in the series. Mostly it was Crosby, but the entire team followed his lead. Maybe the Pens learned a lesson from the first round.

I do not expect the same thing in game 3. The Sens have to come out and win or lose leave everything that they have on the ice starting from when the puck drops. The Pens have to be ready for that and at least withstand the initial onslaught if not match it with their own like they did in game 2. Of course I said the same thing before the last game, but this time I have zero doubts it will be so.
The Sens have put out inconsistent efforts frequently this season, seemingly failing to rise to the occasion for critical games. See last two games versus Toronto, last regular season game against Penguins. But they do have bounce-back resilience, especially at home in front if a loud crowd.

It's hard to predict what effort level we'll see, but it seems like Maclean tries to get them to approach the game professionally and tactically before emotionally.

Flamingo is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
  #811
TheWeb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Honestly, the thing that surprised me the most, shocked me really, in game 2 was that it was the Pens who came out flying and desperate, not the Senators. The Pens sort of just ran out the clock at the end, but move aside injuries or talent questions either way, the Senators just plain came out flat, and the Pens came out as if they were the team down 0-1 in the series. Mostly it was Crosby, but the entire team followed his lead. Maybe the Pens learned a lesson from the first round.

I do not expect the same thing in game 3. The Sens have to come out and win or lose leave everything that they have on the ice starting from when the puck drops. The Pens have to be ready for that and at least withstand the initial onslaught if not match it with their own like they did in game 2. Of course I said the same thing before the last game, but this time I have zero doubts it will be so.
reality is that the Sens have only come out really hard in one game all playoffs .... . game 3 vs Mtl.

Dont know if it is a strategy or the young players being nervous but it has been frustrating to watch.

TheWeb is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
  #812
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
Is Anderson getting the start tonight?

AquaticBirdman is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
  #813
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
reality is that the Sens have only come out really hard in one game all playoffs .... . game 3 vs Mtl.

Dont know if it is a strategy or the young players being nervous but it has been frustrating to watch.
Definitely not a strategy. But I think tonight they come out desperate. Pens will have to weather a storm early and then they can throw the pressure right back on Ottawa if they get lucky and are up after one or two periods.

The crowd will be great and the Sens will come out flying. It's what happens when a team goes back home. Either Vokoun needs to steal the show for the Pens or the Sens fail to capitalize on big time chances (a la Pens in Game 2). That would be devastating for the Sens. If the Pens would have scored on a couple more chances in Game 2, it would have never been that close. So if there is a wide open net, Sens have to finish. Then pressure for Game 4 builds.

What will I expect? 1-0 or 2-1 1st period for the Sens. Pens will have to answer in the 2nd/3rd period to win this one. The Sens will go back to relying on their great defense. Frustrating the Pens in the neutral zone all night. This one could find OT.

One major thing to watch for: Sens defense will be activated early. They picked up the pressure on the Pens when they started playing desperate hockey. It was working and I think PM knows. As long as the game is tied, the Sens will activate their defense hard. Pens are going to have to rely on short chips and try to spring some 2 on 1s. If they try to stretch all game, I expect some turnovers to go the Sens way.

ColePens is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM
  #814
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
reality is that the Sens have only come out really hard in one game all playoffs .... . game 3 vs Mtl.

Dont know if it is a strategy or the young players being nervous but it has been frustrating to watch.
Uh I hope that's not a strategy.

Fordy is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 10:54 AM
  #815
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71
 
SinfulCobraZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Definitely not a strategy. But I think tonight they come out desperate. Pens will have to weather a storm early and then they can throw the pressure right back on Ottawa if they get lucky and are up after one or two periods.

The crowd will be great and the Sens will come out flying. It's what happens when a team goes back home. Either Vokoun needs to steal the show for the Pens or the Sens fail to capitalize on big time chances (a la Pens in Game 2). That would be devastating for the Sens. If the Pens would have scored on a couple more chances in Game 2, it would have never been that close. So if there is a wide open net, Sens have to finish. Then pressure for Game 4 builds.

What will I expect? 1-0 or 2-1 1st period for the Sens. Pens will have to answer in the 2nd/3rd period to win this one. The Sens will go back to relying on their great defense. Frustrating the Pens in the neutral zone all night. This one could find OT.

One major thing to watch for: Sens defense will be activated early. They picked up the pressure on the Pens when they started playing desperate hockey. It was working and I think PM knows. As long as the game is tied, the Sens will activate their defense hard. Pens are going to have to rely on short chips and try to spring some 2 on 1s. If they try to stretch all game, I expect some turnovers to go the Sens way.
Bylsma says hi.

SinfulCobraZ is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  #816
nTsplnk*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Series doesn't start until Karlsson is 100%.

The series will never start.
Wondering where all the Sens fans that overrated karlsson by saying at 50% he's still the best in the league are?

He's just like Mike Green. Great with the puck, meh without it

nTsplnk* is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
  #817
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71
 
SinfulCobraZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Wondering where all the Sens fans that overrated karlsson by saying at 50% he's still the best in the league are?

He's just like Mike Green. Great with the puck, meh without it
Karlsson vs Green? Thats a tough one.

SinfulCobraZ is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  #818
Steve Durbano
Registered User
 
Steve Durbano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burbs of Bmore
Country: United States
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Karlsson vs Green? Thats a tough one.
Mike Green would have been out for five years with that injury.

Steve Durbano is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
  #819
sliceOFtrance
Registered User
 
sliceOFtrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
As a Sens fan, I am still worried.

Spezza coming back from a long term injury won't help much.

Maybe it will give the team a boost, but we are still in danger.

sliceOFtrance is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:48 AM
  #820
DrDangles
Registered User
 
DrDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Big game for Vokoun tonight, I hope he bounces back. Very mediocre last game minus the breakaway saves.

DrDangles is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:52 AM
  #821
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Depends on how you define an elite forward. A solid two way player that scores at a point per game clip qualifies in my opinion.

If your definition of an elite forward is a generational talent then I guess Alfredsson doesn't qualify.
In the Dead Puck era, no less. I think he was 3rd behin Jagr and Thornton.

coladin is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 12:04 PM
  #822
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,955
vCash: 500
Just hope for a good hockey game.

playasRus is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 12:06 PM
  #823
DrDangles
Registered User
 
DrDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Is Anderson getting the start tonight?
I hope so. I'm more worried about playing Lehner tbh. We seem to have Anderson's card.

DrDangles is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 12:07 PM
  #824
MurphyDump
Registered User
 
MurphyDump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,463
vCash: 500
Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.

MurphyDump is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 12:16 PM
  #825
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Expect a different game tonight. My bet is that the Sens take this.

Bylsma makes a smart move by inserting Eaton for Engelland, which had to happen. Can't have a Murray Engelland pairing on the road. The insertion of Spezza will help the PK, while the insertion of Eaton will help the Pens PK....good move by Bylsma.

However, Joe Vitale is not available for tonight's game. He's a guy that wins 60% of his faceoffs and provides speed and energy. Instead of replacing him with Jokinen who is also 60% on faceoffs and has some nice craftiness, he inserts Tanner Glass and moves Adams to C. Adams is about 42% on faceoffs and Glass is slow and provides nothing more than a bit of a physical game.

I just don't think this is a smart road game move. The Pens faceoffs and speed on the 4th line will take a big hit tonight and could haunt them.

Nothing Bylsma does surprises me.
Bylsma will also ensure the 4th line gets as many starts in the defensive zone against Ottawa's top two lines as possible as well.

Fordy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.