HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Around the NHL III

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
this is ****ing awesome

Old
05-17-2013, 12:05 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

that LA comeback was awesome

Old
05-17-2013, 08:29 AM
token grinder

payback for a few years ago when LA was up 4 or 5 to 1 and SJ stormed back to win.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Kings/Hawks series is going to be awesome.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
bolded: I never remember hearing that. Have a link?

I'd rather have Poile make a mistake by being active, rather than just standing pat and hoping for the best. He was proactive in getting the bad contract out so I can't really blame him in that situation. Going into that offseason, I was dreading the Lombardi contract. I thought we were stuck with it.

Keep in mind Toronto fans hated Lombardi while he was there. He was healthy scratch a few times too I believe. Getting rid of him was crucial IMO.
Lombardi was 1) injured with no set return date and 2) more of the same. If he were still on the team for the past couple of seasons the mantra would be "Poile needs to stop stocking piling 3rd line centers, and trying to force them into the top six", as it is now.

If Lombardi were still on the team right now our needs would continue to be a top line center and a second pairing defenseman, neither of which we would be in a better position to land by having Lombardi as a tradeable asset.

It's a pointless debate.

05-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Lombardi was 1) injured with no set return date and 2) more of the same. If he were still on the team for the past couple of seasons the mantra would be "Poile needs to stop stocking piling 3rd line centers, and trying to force them into the top six", as it is now.

If Lombardi were still on the team right now our needs would continue to be a top line center and a second pairing defenseman, neither of which we would be in a better position to land by having Lombardi as a tradeable asset.

It's a pointless debate.
Would have taken a roster spot away from one of the youngsters, as well, at least before this season's team beeline to IR. Though he has played, he was pretty mediocre in Toronto and Phoenix, and basically kept the press box warm for the Ducks.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
bolded: I never remember hearing that. Have a link?

I'd rather have Poile make a mistake by being active, rather than just standing pat and hoping for the best. He was proactive in getting the bad contract out so I can't really blame him in that situation. Going into that offseason, I was dreading the Lombardi contract. I thought we were stuck with it.

Keep in mind Toronto fans hated Lombardi while he was there. He was healthy scratch a few times too I believe. Getting rid of him was crucial IMO.
And you could see why Poile was so quick with the move, with Dumont and Sullivan's injuries.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

It's a pointless debate.
Nobody cares about losing Lombardi. And yes, at the time the feeling was that he may not ever play again and that's why we had to throw in Franson and million bucks (Ledbda buyout). Then, he played the opener. Had he waited until Lombardi played the opener, we could've likely traded him for condition picks (like he was later traded by Toronto).

Franson would be a welcome addition on our team right now. Not to mention, Blum/Ellis would've had significant more trade value 2 years ago.

Old
05-17-2013, 12:28 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

The Lomabrdi move was a painfully premature move. I dont blame Poile only because he had good intentions and wanted the best for this club. He just made the wrong call in the end and we PAID to lose Franson, only to save us a few million dollars. I think its notable that once traded Lombardi was magically healed. Im sure Poile wishes he could go back to that trade

Old
05-17-2013, 06:54 PM
The PH Factor

NBC Stats at start of Penguins-Senators Game 2

Vokoun with best save % of all playoff goalies at .963. Realize he hasn't started as many games as other goalies but that's awesome! Keep it up!!!

Old
05-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PH Factor View Post
NBC Stats at start of Penguins-Senators Game 2

Vokoun with best save % of all playoff goalies at .963. Realize he hasn't started as many games as other goalies but that's awesome! Keep it up!!!
TV wins again

Old
05-18-2013, 08:46 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I'd be lying if I said I didn't crack a smile when Sidney Crosby abused Erik Karlsson on his first goal last night.

Old
05-18-2013, 10:41 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

More of the usual slamming of Poile if he makes a move or not.

Lombardi at the time was injured with no clue when/if he'd return and has underperformed since returning. Franson was, and remains, a 3rd pair d-man who can chip in on the PP. Moves were made based on information available at the time. I seem to have missed when they turned into the second comings of Gretzky and Orr who no team could ever live without. It's funny how 2011-12, without them, the team did quite well.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
More of the usual slamming of Poile if he makes a move or not.

Lombardi at the time was injured with no clue when/if he'd return and has underperformed since returning. Franson was, and remains, a 3rd pair d-man who can chip in on the PP. Moves were made based on information available at the time. I seem to have missed when they turned into the second comings of Gretzky and Orr who no team could ever live without. It's funny how 2011-12, without them, the team did quite well.
You need to get your head out of the sand. Using exaggeration and grandiosity doesn't suddenly make your point valid.

Fact:
1) no one is making any such claims
2) Lombardi did not miss the season opener
3) Lombardi has been dealt, twice?, since we had to pay over a million dollars and Franson to unload him
4) Franson may be a third line defenseman by your eye, but he has put up points and had a huge role in the playoffs for two teams.

Opinion: this was a bad deal. It was bad at the time. It is worse now. Can we move on and stop defending it?

05-18-2013, 05:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You need to get your head out of the sand. Using exaggeration and grandiosity doesn't suddenly make your point valid.

Fact:
1) no one is making any such claims
2) Lombardi did not miss the season opener
3) Lombardi has been dealt, twice?, since we had to pay over a million dollars and Franson to unload him
4) Franson may be a third line defenseman by your eye, but he has put up points and had a huge role in the playoffs for two teams.

Opinion: this was a bad deal. It was bad at the time. It is worse now. Can we move on and stop defending it?
So not agreeing with you means head in the sand. Wow. Rather flamish of you.

In retrospect 45 months later, it doesn't look as good when it happened ... but Lombardi is still far from the player we acquired pre-injury. $3.5mil per year for a guy who put up Halischuk like numbers over the past two seasons. He may not have missed the opener, but did miss 20 games in 2011-12 and 20 again this past season. Franson remains a 3rd pair d-man who for his points scored in the playoffs was just as liable on the goals allowed ... and after all is a DEFENSEMAN. He has a whopping two more regular season goals than Klein, and KK isn't exactly regarded as an offensive power. We moved an injured player and a niche guy ... nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if I don't romanticize either Lombardi or Franson.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 05-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 03:12 AM
NoNecksCurse

lol have much have you watched franson 101? he looks to be a solid 2nd pair option for the future. he would excel here in nashville.

it was a horrible trade, time to move on.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:55 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
lol have much have you watched franson 101? he looks to be a solid 2nd pair option for the future. he would excel here in nashville.

Did you watch game 7 where he was one the ice for the last few goals scored by Boston? The game winner he was floating around in no man's land. Reminiscent of what he used to do here.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't' think he's a top 4 guy but he's still better than Blum or Ellis, but both can still become better all around defensemen, just don't know if either will ever be as good offensively.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:08 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
So maybe I just don't follow as closely as I should but when did Brent Burns become basically a full time winger?

Old
05-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't' think he's a top 4 guy but he's still better than Blum or Ellis, but both can still become better all around defensemen, just don't know if either will ever be as good offensively.
This & it's truly time to move on

Old
05-19-2013, 10:12 AM
hockey diva

Early in the season. It was an experiment due to injuries I think. He was a forward when drafted and got moved to d. His beard is just scary.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:

He's really not. A good 3rd pairing guy, but he's still not solid enough defensively to justify any more than that on a consistent basis. Maybe better than what we have on our 3rd pairing at the moment, but I don't think we'll miss him long term.

Last edited by Iron Duke: 05-19-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Early in the season. It was an experiment due to injuries I think. He was a forward when drafted and got moved to d. His beard is just scary.
This is correct. Was drafted as a forward and was moved to D when he was in the AHL, by the then coach of the Houston Aeros, Todd McLellan.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

I only watched 10-15 Leafs games this year and probably 30 last year. How much did you watch?

Old
05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Nitrous Mafia

i was about to get really pissed of SJ didn't score on that 5on3 during OT last night. glad they decided to make this a series.

still talking about lombardi/franson trade = LOL

Closed Thread