HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TRADE: Ribs Gone, Habs Get Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2006, 12:09 PM
DicAnns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Johnson deserves more than the 4th line.. come on!
IMO Johnson, Perez, Bonk, and Lats all deserve more than 4th line... but someone will have to fill the spot!

Old
10-01-2006, 12:25 PM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73 View Post
IMO Johnson, Perez, Bonk, and Lats all deserve more than 4th line... but someone will have to fill the spot!
I think Latendresse will get some time on the third line alternating with Perezhogin
and eventually end up there.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:25 PM
zzoo

The more I think/read/analyze the Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade, the more I don't like it. Here are some points:

- When Bouillon is back, we would have 7 regular defensemen. What should we do ?

- Niinimaa will be free agent after the season while Ribeiro is not

- If Koivu is injured (and he will be for sure), we are in trouble at center position

- 1 more European in the team, 1 local player less

Old
10-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy View Post
I think Latendresse will get some time on the third line alternating with Perezhogin
and eventually end up there.
Haha nice avatar

Old
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
The more I think/read/analyze the Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade, the more I don't like it. Here are some points:

- When Bouillon is back, we would have 7 regular defensemen. What should we do ?

- If Koivu is injured (and he will be for sure), we are in trouble at center position

1) Having all six top defencemen healthy at once is rare occurance in Montreal. Someone always get hurt. Most likely Souray.

2) Ribeiro made only 600k less than Niinimaa, not much difference in trying to re-sign them.

3) Koivu was injured during playoffs time and Ribeiro was non-factor then, keeping him around wouldnt make much difference.

4) Habs just added another local boy in Latendresse.

Old
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Guy!

Quote:
The more I think/read/analyze the
And what does that have to do with anything? This is about hockey, isn't it?

Old
10-01-2006, 02:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The best part of the deal is this keeps Ribs the hell away from Lats.

Old
10-01-2006, 02:07 PM
BigTimer*

What great news to wake up to.

Seems like Ribeiro's supporters never get anything right when it comes to predictions. Kid didn't even earn himself a regular season game with the CH this year haha what a star.

Old
10-01-2006, 02:54 PM
-300*C

I think Janne will get better this season than last season.. His ankle was in horrible condition last season and he had to walk with that huge boot to support it. Now he's showed at least something positive in the Dallas preseason games; 2 goals.
Some people here call him stupid - what the ....?
He's a great guy, polite and down-to-earth.

Old
10-01-2006, 03:13 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -300*C View Post
I think Janne will get better this season than last season.. His ankle was in horrible condition last season and he had to walk with that huge boot to support it. Now he's showed at least something positive in the Dallas preseason games; 2 goals.
Some people here call him stupid - what the ....?
He's a great guy, polite and down-to-earth.
He's also in a contract year, which is a good thing. That makes 4 of our D in contract years.

Old
10-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Go Habs Go

Oh thank the Lord!

Old
10-01-2006, 03:20 PM
oli500

Quote:

Teams are allways on the look out for quality defencemen. Its never a problem when you have to much D. Did it ever occur to you that injurys are probably going to happen and its allways nice to have that extra d especially come playoff time. look at what happen to buffalo last playoffs.

So! ribeiro will be an RFA and there is no way hes worth 2 mill. that was a huge mistake by bob. We got Plekanec who Im sure can post the same of amount points as ribeiro making not even 1 million $.

If Koivu is injured (and he will be for sure), we are in trouble at center position not really. Are depth without ribeiro. -plekanec -bonk -Begin Higgins is capable of playing center. johnson is capable of playing center. chipchura will likely see some action this year and we might even see Grabovski this year. Were in good shape at the center position vs are defense were if a rivet or souray would get hurt were in deep trouble. + like marksman said ribeiro was a non factor last year when koivu was hurt.

Ribeiro played worse than euros at times. Soft,lazy, inconsistant, afraid of getting involve is physical play. Sure ribeiro was a local boy. Growing up as a canadien fan and a local boy you would think that the guy would show more emotion on the ice. Some nights it seem like he dident care.

Old
10-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Quiet Robert

Man, I'm still happy today. It's late in the afternoon and I'm still happy Ribeiro is off this team.

Niinimaa probably won't get a contract extension at the end of this year unless he really shines so after giving it some though I don't really mind his price tag that much anymore at this point.

I've given it some though and no matter what people say about Janne, depth at defence is always a good thing. If Niinimaa can somehow regain a little big of his Oiler form, it'll be fantastic. If he plays like he did in Dallas, he'll be benched in favour of our other options.

Having Streit, Niinimaa, Bouillon and Dandenault as options for our bottom pairing puts us in a pretty good spot. Plus, chances are Souray will miss time at some point in the year so again, it's good to have some depth.

And as for our somehow no longer having any depth at center, that's baloney. Ribs was mediocre on faceoffs, and while he did possess excellent vision, he didn't have nearly enough of the qualities required to be a solid NHL center. I think Pleks can step up and be a solid no.2 center for us.

See ya Ribs, hopefully you'll be "stronger" in Dallas.

Old
10-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Duster

Agreed. The more I think about it, the more I like this deal. It is a contract year for Niinima so there is that extra incentive for him to increase his offensive output which, assuming injuries were the reason for his recent decline, should bode well for the power play. He'll be playing No 6 minutes so there is no need for him to go beyond a simple game when playing 5 on 5.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Ribeiro played worse than euros at times. Soft,lazy, inconsistant, afraid of getting involve is physical play. Sure ribeiro was a local boy. Growing up as a canadien fan and a local boy you would think that the guy would show more emotion on the ice. Some nights it seem like he dident care.
That's horse ****...You can say what you want about him but Mike actually wanted us to win. Sure some nights he sucked big, but he would still try. If it wasn't for his small frame it would have been easier to notice. Half of the guys on this team don't give a **** weither or not we win, they just care about when their next paycheck comes in.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
That's horse ****...You can say what you want about him but Mike actually wanted us to win. Sure some nights he sucked big, but he would still try. If it wasn't for his small frame it would have been easier to notice. Half of the guys on this team don't give a **** weither or not we win, they just care about when their next paycheck comes in.
he cared....and the one things people ue against him is the one things that shows how much he cared...
that year in the playoffs against boston when he went down squirming and it killed the play people should try and rememeber that the bruins had an extra attacker had just level two other habs an were about to attack practically 6 on 2 or 3...

whether he was really hurt or not he did what he had to do called attention to himself and got a whistle...i mean common that is taking one for the team...he put his head on a platter...

anyhoo i liked him...but most of you didnt cause he wasnt lemieux or gretzky...
you bashed him yet last two seasons he ddidnt do any worse than the rest of the team....

Old
10-01-2006, 04:22 PM
HomaridII

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Stars no.2 line will now be:

Morrow - Ribeiro - Lindros

Old
10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
There's no reason for me to think this should be any less horse doo than the comment you're responding to.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
you bashed him yet last two seasons he ddidnt do any worse than the rest of the team....
Guy was our 4th best scorer and people still demanded more from him...Sure it wasn't the best season but by the looks of the pre-season he was gonna have a good one this year. Let's just hope that Grabovski will be ready next year cuz Pleks really shouldn't be a 2nd line centerman.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
There's no reason for me to think this should be any less horse doo than the comment you're responding to.
Other than Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, Rivet (even if he isn't great) can you name another player who would rather be here than anywhere else (even if offered a ginormous deal)?

Old
10-01-2006, 04:45 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Now there is room for Lats. Mike was a good player and will do well with Lindros and morrow as his speed and small frame wont be as important. There also needed to be room for Perezhogin and Gui Gui Gui

Old
10-01-2006, 04:51 PM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Stars no.2 line will now be:

Morrow - Ribeiro - Lindros
Yeah, until Lindros hurt himself again.

Old
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Now there is room for Lats. Mike was a good player and will do well with Lindros and morrow as his speed and small frame wont be as important. There also needed to be room for Perezhogin and Gui Gui Gui
So, he would had done well with guys like Latendresse and Higgins for exemple...

Just another waste and mismanagement of asset by Gainey. Remember wasting Beauchemin and Hainsey for a big 0... ?

Not only did he signed Traverse two days too early but he traded his second best centerman for an over-the-hill-worse-than-Brisebois- type of defenseman. Another Euro on top of that !

Old
10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
So, he would had done well with guys like Latendresse and Higgins for exemple...

Just another waste and mismanagement of asset by Gainey. Remember wasting Beauchemin and Hainsey for a big 0... ?

Not only did he signed Traverse two days too early but he traded his second best centerman for an over-the-hill-worse-than-Brisebois- type of defenseman. Another Euro on top of that !
You know, I'm sensitive to the local representation on the team. Some fell it's irrelevant, I think it matters to a degree. Having said that, you don't think this is getting ridiculous ? Another Euro ? If the Alouettes trade Etienne Boulay for Jason Tucker, is it ok to complian, 'another black ' ? It's getting to be a bit much. It seems Gainey preferred to spend $ on a depth d man, whom he hopes will rebound, rather than Ribeiro. We'll see. You think for a day or 2 we can leave race out of it. Or is it ok as long as we're careful which group we complain about ?

Old
10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
bjac

The rat pack is finally gone....

Closed Thread