HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Memorial Cup 2013 Thread! (Portland vs Halifax on Sportsnet tonight - 7pm)

Old
05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Forwards are easier to develop and safer IMO. If we're talking about picking a 1st overall here.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For me, it's Jones no matter the needs or the team.
For MTL its Mackinnon

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:02 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

good game, wow is drouin shifty and an explosive skater. just got home from the game.. anthem was even more ridiculous to hear in person.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Drouin is too smart for Mack.
I don't see that at all.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Came here to ask if anyone else liked Fournier and Campini, glad i'm not the only one
Ciampini is garbage. Let me rephrase that: he's obviously a VERY skilled player who is just garbage at actually playing the game. Would make a fantastic pond hockey teammate, but don't hold your breath for him to be an impact NHL player. Is a good player in a junior league, against junior players with varying level of commitment/future aspirations, but I don't see a whole lot of commitment to improving ALL aspects of his game enough to get to the big show any time soon. He really seems to loaf in the shadows behind all the big names, but he gets his points so...

Fournier... I really like the guy - is one of the co-captains and deserves to be - but he's one of those guys whose numbers are size are going to make someone think he has "real" NHL potential, when his ceiling is a hard-working (as opposed to leading scoring) AHL captain at best. He'll work his way into an organization somewhere though, because he is 100% hard work every day, can play with a variety of player types (grinder to elite scorer), can play any role, and is one of those good "in the room personalities".

As for the "Big Two", I think everyone got a taste of how Drouin is a fantastic player that will help some team somewhere finish high in the regular season standings year after year, but MacKinnon is the kind of force that wills teams to championships in the post season.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:14 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Leroux of RDS is in Saskatoon.....while TVA Sports has their 2 commentators in the Montreal studio...How the **** did RDS lost that tournament???
Sportsnet owns the broadcast rights of the Memorial Cup, and they partnered up with TVA Sports instead of launching its own French sports channel.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
For MTL its Mackinnon
Why? Jones comes in and he's immediately #2 after Subban. The depth that we have on D is in no way a threat to a talent like Jones. The only guy that "might" have a chance to be a top 2 d-man is Beaulieu. And Jones is much better than him. We have depth but mostly for #4-5-6.

A guy like Jones would be a must just as much as Mac would be.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Why? Jones comes in and he's immediately #2 after Subban. The depth that we have on D is in no way a threat to a talent like Jones. The only guy that "might" have a chance to be a top 2 d-man is Beaulieu. And Jones is much better than him. We have depth but mostly for #4-5-6.

I completely agree with you on this one.

A combination of Subban and Jones on the ice for nearly half a game for the next decade+ = priceless.

In 5 years it is very conceivable that these may be the best two d-men in the game and we would be perennial Cup contenders.

Franchise d-men are the most valuable commodities imo and you don't pass up on one when you get the chance.

Estimated_Prophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:22 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

My PVR was full so I only caught half of the first blades game...

I read that you guys found Dietz seemed to always be on the ice. What I noticed personally is that 90% of the time, the RD on the ice was either Dietz or Thrower. They played them a whole lot. Now, I'm not too familiar with the other RD, so I can't say if it's a testimony of how bad the 6th D is, or how good our prospects are, but that can't be a bad thing.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Matteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
Am i alone or would anyone else like the habs to try Thrower as a forward?
Not just the habs but any of his teams between now and when/if he makes the NHL!

Kid has tonnes of potential and fiesty to boot.
I think it's worth considering. Not sure his hockey IQ is good enough to learn play D at the NHL level.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:13 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Go Moose Go!!!

And for people on this forum that talk about bad goaltending.. Carruth last night, Nabokov and Fleury in the Pens/Isles series.. THAT is bad goaltending.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Raider917

vCash: 179
i wonder if the anthem singer will get a second chance tonight

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:50 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
i wonder if the anthem singer will get a second chance tonight
They should hire me instead.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:48 AM
domdo345

All in on Mackinnon for me. Seth Jones is a special player but I still am higher on Mack than him. Skating like he does is pure talent, the same way Crosby does. Plus, he's already an ace defensively. He'll probably never will be on Crosby's or Malkin's level but I feel in a few years people will wonder how he wasn't 1st overall. No hate on Jones, it's only my opinion and I understand many will disagree.

PS: defenitely NOT basing this on last night game. Saw many games of Nathan already but I have to agree I saw less from Jones...

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:53 AM
couris

Quote:

We are never going to find a Mackinnon in later picks.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
All in on Mackinnon for me. Seth Jones is a special player but I still am higher on Mack than him. Skating like he does is pure talent, the same way Crosby does. Plus, he's already an ace defensively. He'll probably never will be on Crosby's or Malkin's level but I feel in a few years people will wonder how he wasn't 1st overall. No hate on Jones, it's only my opinion and I understand many will disagree.

PS: defenitely NOT basing this on last night game. Saw many games of Nathan already but I have to agree I saw less from Jones...
Guys like Jones are very very very hard to find. Guys like MacKinnon there are 25-30 of them in the NHL. I don't think one strong game by MacKinnon will sway the scouts...not to mention Jones fits a much bigger need for Colorado.

MacKinnon had his best game last night and Drouin and Jones didn't really. Most of the season Drouin has outplayed MacKinnon, plus he is the more explosive offensive player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Quote:

Not questioning the value of Jones, but he will not immediately come in as a top pairing defenseman on any team looking to compete. Having seen him play, and having seen him in his street clothes, he still has a huge frame to grow into before he can handle that position. Even more than a guy like Tinordi. His impact on the league will not be immediate.

A team like Colorado might throw him into that spot simply because of their current position, but under the hypothetical situation that we had the first pick and took him, IMO he would go back to Portland, or at best play bottom pairing minutes.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:28 PM
gusfring

I would take Jones. No question.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kue View Post
Not questioning the value of Jones, but he will not immediately come in as a top pairing defenseman on any team looking to compete. Having seen him play, and having seen him in his street clothes, he still has a huge frame to grow into before he can handle that position. Even more than a guy like Tinordi. His impact on the league will not be immediate.

A team like Colorado might throw him into that spot simply because of their current position, but under the hypothetical situation that we had the first pick and took him, IMO he would go back to Portland, or at best play bottom pairing minutes.
First, we do not have a strong D. But my point was more about potential than anything else. He comes in and he's our 2nd best potential on D after Subban. Whether he comes in right away and racks 25 minutes a game...I'm not there yet. But even if he has some growing to do, he would most definately comes in and be in our lineup. I just have no doubt about that.

Besides....define compete. I still believe we are 3-5 KEY players before we are named in the cup contending teams. And one of the team being getting better goaltending. But the D isn't strong and tough enough. And people don't realize that we don't have enough clutch scorers on that team. So, Jones would come in a team that will have a good season....will compete hard, but contend? Not sure we are there yet. Jones would fit right in. Anyway, I'll stop saying that....it's like we're getting him and it's painful to think that we are not. But there might be some really interesting candidate at our pick.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post

I hope you don't. But some do...putting way too much emphasis on a couple of games even at the bigger stages. I mean, just have an average goalie in net and chances are MacKinnon has 1 goal. Mac is a special talent too for sure. Have no problem with him being #2.

Yet.....is it possible that he's not even the best forward of that draft? Are people downplaying Nichuskin play based on his nationality? Do people realize that what Barkov did this year is really amazing? Succeeded in a very good men's league...and is CLEARLY one of the youngest kid in this year's draft....Unless the injury is freaking out people...which I wouldn't be.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:23 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
As for the "Big Two", I think everyone got a taste of how Drouin is a fantastic player that will help some team somewhere finish high in the regular season standings year after year, but MacKinnon is the kind of force that wills teams to championships in the post season.
Please. Drouin has came up big in playoffs and big games as much as MacKinnon. Drouis is clutch too. This idea that one his a regular season player and the other will be a playoffs player is outrageous and plain ridiculous. Both guys will be star NHLers in the playoffs and in the regular season.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:25 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
MacKinnon had his best game last night and Drouin and Jones didn't really. Most of the season Drouin has outplayed MacKinnon, plus he is the more explosive offensive player.
Yup. I doubt any scout changed their rankings over one game. Only Hfboards fans boys. I am fine with either Drouin or MacKinnon as the no. 1 forward but there is quite a bit of an overreaction over one game, however great Mac was in it.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Tyson

Since the Habs have no chance at a top 5 pick, who may be available in the 20-40 range that they should be looking at?

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Please. Drouin has came up big in playoffs and big games as much as MacKinnon. Drouis is clutch too. This idea that one his a regular season player and the other will be a playoffs player is outrageous and plain ridiculous. Both guys will be star NHLers in the playoffs and in the regular season.
Drouin is clutch, indeed, and at his best when guys like MacKinnon are making room for everyone and producing as well. You can read all the hype that makes it out your way from here, and formulate your own points-based formula for ranking these two since you're just getting a chance to see them, but I've seen just about every home game over the past couple of years (notice the Location: Halifax), and if I want the best "built for NHL playoffs" team possible, I'm picking and developing Jones or MacKinnon over Drouin.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:00 PM
ClasslessGuy

blowout tonight

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote