HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gameday: Sabres at Leafs 1/3

View Poll Results: Outcome of Tonight's Matchup?
Sabres Regulation Victory 3 15.00%
Leafs Regulation Victory 8 40.00%
Sabres OT Victory 0 0%
Leafs OT Victory 0 0%
Tie 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 03:31 PM
TVanek26*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FITZPATRICK PP GOAL!WE DOMINATE THE 2nd PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-03-2004, 03:37 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
w00t!

fitz still shouldnt be on the PP. 5 forwards should be.

Old
01-03-2004, 03:46 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

the leafs are playing DER TEE
if the sabres score some early in the third it could get very physical very quickly

Old
01-03-2004, 03:48 PM
BG43

Biron really kept the Sabres in it.. until they could get the big goals. This is great. It's a very gritty and dirty game though. Intense for sure.. I hope Nolan is alright. Sabres need to play harder in the 3rd. Leafs are usually a lot better in the 3rd and will probably come out flying. Hang in there Buff! This would be a huge win.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:14 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

A "high stick" is one which is carried above the height of the opponent's shoulders. A player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.

(a) Any contact made by a stick on an opponent above the shoulders is prohibited and a minor shall be imposed subject to section (b) of this Rule.

(b) When a player carries or holds any part of his stick above the shoulders of the opponent so that injury results, the Referee shall:

(i) Assess a double minor penalty for all contact that causes an injury, whether accidental or careless, in the opinion of the Referee.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:34 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Yeah, that was not much of a fight. I was hoping they would go again, but I have not even seen Peters on the ice since.
i think that missle that peters landed helped end the fight a little early

Old
01-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
A thoroughly enjoyable hockey game. That was fun to watch---great pace and intensity, some goals, a fight, plenty of hitting.

Granted, the officials seemed to be watching a different game as far as both teams were concerned...

Old
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
BG43

Well.. somehow I knew we wouldn't be lucky enough to sneak off with the win. The Leafs really dominated huge chunks of that game. Wow.. I can breathe easy now that it's over. Glad we didn't lose.. and a point against the Leafs after playing last night is decent.. I guess we should be happy. Although ties do suck.. it's better than a loss. Good chances.. good saves.. good game.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:56 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
That was probably one of the most intense QEW games in Toronto that I've seen. The officiating was horrible. Great game by Biron, if it weren't for him, the Sabres wouldn't have gotten a point. I think if the game was called better by the refs, the Sabres probably would have pulled out a win.

Leafs suck. March 15th can't come soon enough.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BironsGirl43
Well.. somehow I knew we wouldn't be lucky enough to sneak off with the win. The Leafs really dominated huge chunks of that game. Wow.. I can breathe easy now that it's over. Glad we didn't lose.. and a point against the Leafs after playing last night is decent.. I guess we should be happy. Although ties do suck.. it's better than a loss. Good chances.. good saves.. good game.
And Marty was not the goat in the Goat. Seriously, if not for Biron being tip-top tonight, this could've been a laugher.

Old
01-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
5 penalties for each team (including the fighting majors). You had your chances, as did we. Yes, the refs really stole one from you there.
The officiating was just plan bad. From the missed highstick on Nolan to the missed highsticks on Patrick and Roy, the relative non-calls on violent collisions yet the piddly stuff that was called for both teams... it wasn't Terry's finest hour (or three).

Old
01-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Also funny to see 3 people vote for a tie after the game is over... jeez people. :p

Old
01-03-2004, 05:07 PM
djhn579

Quote:
5 penalties for each team (including the fighting majors). You had your chances, as did we. Yes, the refs really stole one from you there.
I think they were refering to all the hooking, hitting from behind, and mugging being committed by the Leafs. If the refs called all the BS, the Leafs may not have been able to tie it up...

Old
01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
BG43

Yeah, I thought Marty played a pretty strong game. The Leafs had a lot of chances close in.. and with lots of traffic infront. And they did score 2 of their goals on the PP.. when they were left in all alone. The goals that were scored were made on plays where mistakes had happened.. (eg. Kalinin not taking Sundin).. but that's okay. A point is a point. 34 saves is nice.. I really liked the one he made on I forget who it was.. but Biron slid to the other side of the net to make the save with his pad. I'm glad to see that his record is at 500 again too..

Old
01-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
I think they were refering to all the hooking, hitting from behind, and mugging being committed by the Leafs. If the refs called all the BS, the Leafs may not have been able to tie it up...
The Sabres version of the Wizard of Oz involves getting a powerplay that works right?

Seriously, the teams that have gone back to playing a size game in congunction with their skills are all doing extremely well (Philly, Toronto, St. Louis, Jersey). Those teams that loaded up on smaller, or less gritty players, have struggled at many points this season. It's what the league allows and so that makes it ok. Twisted logic, but hey, this is a sport that doesn't seem to realize people enjoy seeing goals scored...

Old
01-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, I thought Marty played a pretty strong game. The Leafs had a lot of chances close in.. and with lots of traffic infront. And they did score 2 of their goals on the PP.. when they were left in all alone. The goals that were scored were made on plays where mistakes had happened.. (eg. Kalinin not taking Sundin).. but that's okay. A point is a point. 34 saves is nice.. I really liked the one he made on I forget who it was.. but Biron slid to the other side of the net to make the save with his pad. I'm glad to see that his record is at 500 again too..
Fitzgerald.

I thought he had a number of confidence builders in this one. I hope he can finally find some sustainability in his play, even after Noronen comes back. Wouldn't it be nice to have <i>both</i> goaltenders capable of playing well regardless of who's in net? *Sauve-Edwards flashback*

Old
01-03-2004, 05:19 PM
BG43

Hell yeah, Chain! I like the way you think. They could make a great goalie tandem if they were both to play up to their capabilities. The Sabres look a lot different in the last couple games. Hopefully, they'll keep grabbing points here in there. This month is huge for them. Make or break.

Once again.. I thought Hecht played great.. he was all over the ice. He plays hard. Pyatt was pretty invisible.. did he even play tonight?

Old
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Hell yeah, Chain! I like the way you think. They could make a great goalie tandem if they were both to play up to their capabilities. The Sabres look a lot different in the last couple games. Hopefully, they'll keep grabbing points here in there. This month is huge for them. Make or break.

Once again.. I thought Hecht was all over the ice. He plays hard. Pyatt was pretty invisible.. did he even play tonight?
Hecht, soon to be German slang for puck-magnet? The guy makes the players he plays with better.

Funny, but I thought Pyatt did his job, covering as the high man while Roy and Max tried (and failed) to get something going down low. I recall him in front a couple times but with either his check covering him tightly or no puck, it didn't help. Oh, and there was the guy he ran over in the neutral zone. My wife's going to love seeing me watch this again on the replay just to get who it was....

Old
01-03-2004, 05:26 PM
BG43

Yeah, Chain. I do remember seeing him infront but it's not like he did anything or made things really happen. I guess I just have really high hopes for this guy and even an average game for him is disappointing. I think he can do so much more.. and it sucks that it's not happening. Meh..

Old
01-03-2004, 05:36 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:

It couldn't be the fact you were outshot every period (total 37 to your 16)
The penalty called on Satan was an example. Miro gave Tucker a tug to the arm, which for some unknown reason caused Tucker's legs to pull themselves out from underneath him, and he hit the ice... *cough*DIVE!*cough*... the Leafs then scored on the powerplay.

I don't care what twisted logic you Leaf fans can use, the refs were bad tonight.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:01 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Hecht, soon to be German slang for puck-magnet? The guy makes the players he plays with better.
i think a big part of miro's sustained resurgence can be contributed to hecht creating more space for him, a la gratton last year

Old
01-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
i think a big part of miro's sustained resurgence can be contributed to hecht creating more space for him, a la gratton last year
He moves his feet constantly, makes plays off both the forehand and backhand, and has a knack for putting the puck into places where his linemates are either going or that draws them into going there. I'd like to see what he could do with better health for himself and his linemates.

Old
01-03-2004, 10:07 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Max really impressed me tonight. He's getting to be one of the best forecheckers I've seen in awhile. He's got so much damn energy, and now he's finally realizing what to do with it. Plus, combined with his scrum at the end of last game, I'm really liking what he's doing lately. Also, it seems to be consistent over the last 15-20 games, so it's a good sign.

As for the officiating, I didn't mind it. They were missing alot of calls, but it wasn't favored in one direction or the other, so I liked seeing them allowed to play.

Does anyone else notice how much of an offensive force Kalinin has become lately? So far this year he's shown me that he has the potential to be a #1 d-man, IMO.

And again, Hecht is easily the most underrated player on this team. I think he's by far the hardest working player, and I'd even go as far as to say that he may even be the best player on this team lately, with very close consideration given to Briere and Dumont...but Hecht just makes everything happen. Whether it's winning a battle before the play even develops, making a key pass, tying up someone in the corner...Hecht does it all and is extremely unselfish.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I read about the thing with McKee and Nolan and McKee's quote and actions really stood out.

Quote:
McKee, who wasn''t penalized on the play, showed remorse.

"First chance I had, I skated over to their bench and asked Mats Sundin how he was doing. I wanted to make sure I didn''t get him in the eye," McKee said. "I felt bad. I sent over an apology in between the first and second period. Hopefully, it''s nothing serious."
really classy!

Closed Thread