HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Yankee playoff thread

Old
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
OT Yankee playoff thread

Tigers in the first round. I hate to admit I was hoping we'd play them over the Twins but I kinda was...

All signs point towards this being a short series win for the Yankees which makes me very nervous......Remember the only two tiger wins againts the Yankees came on days Mariano couldn't pitch! I think we pretty much blew them out every other game we played againts them..

I hate the Sheffield move to first base and I hate the fact that Melky is probably coming off the bench. The pitching staff has zero depth and if one of Wang or Mussina gets bombed in the first two games we could easily find ourselves with our backs againts the wall..

However I predict Yankees in 4...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'll go with you one this one, SOS.

Detroit is coming off of being swept by the worst team in the league, in Kansas City. Not only did they lose 3 straight to them, they lost the division, and they're reeling right now. Their morale has to be at the bottom of the barrel right now, especially with the way they lost todays game, being up 6-0, and losing 10-8.

The inexperience factor will come into play as well here. Detroit's young rotation may be good, but aside from Rogers, the elder statesman, none of them have ever pitched in the playoffs.

Yanks in 4, Detroit has no momentum, and the Yanks for the most part are well-rested.

Hopefully we can sweep them, and watch as Minnesota and Oakland smash the crap out of each other, thus tiring the winner out, and weakening them for us.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I'll go with you one this one, SOS.

Detroit is coming off of being swept by the worst team in the league, in Kansas City. Not only did they lose 3 straight to them, they lost the division, and they're reeling right now. Their morale has to be at the bottom of the barrel right now, especially with the way they lost todays game, being up 6-0, and losing 10-8.

The inexperience factor will come into play as well here. Detroit's young rotation may be good, but aside from Rogers, the elder statesman, none of them have ever pitched in the playoffs.

Yanks in 4, Detroit has no momentum, and the Yanks for the most part are well-rested.

Hopefully we can sweep them, and watch as Minnesota and Oakland smash the crap out of each other, thus tiring the winner out, and weakening them for us.
That sounds pretty similar to the way the Rangers ended last year and we all know how that turned out.

Let's Go Yanks!

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Was hoping for the same thing SOS. The Twins are hot and we match much better vs the Tigers in a five game series. I will be going to game 5 if there is one. I know it's time for hockey, but I also love baseball and its time for playoffs! Go Yanks!

Yankees schedule: Detroit leads series 2-1

Game 1: Yankees 8 Detroit 4

Game 2: Detroit 4 Yankees 3

Game 3: Detroit 6 Yankees 0

Game 4: Saturday October 7, 4pm, FOX
Yankees (Wright) @ Detroit (Bonderman)

Game 5 if nec.: Sunday October 8, 7:30, FOX
Detroit @ Yankees

Last edited by nyrmessier011: 10-07-2006 at 11:36 AM.
nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Man I hope the Yanks do something this year.. the last few have been physically painful, and soured my mood for a few early weeks in October, lol

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I was at the game today for my birthday. Bernie Williams was manager and then came into the game to pinch hit and hit a double. Jeter said that he was selfish for pinch-hitting himself

I have to agree that I wanted the Tigers too. Lets be honest, this team has little to no playoff experience and we OWNED them this year. The only time they beat us was two games that Rivera was unable to save.

I think we can win this series easily. Then again, I said the same thing in 2002 against the Angels and what happened. So we have to be somewhat careful.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If the bats are hot there no reason they cant beat them like they idd all year. What scares me a bit is if it does go for the yanks have Wright on the hill and i dont like that, but if they take care of business early hopefully they wont even get there

Time for AROD to become a hero or more of a goat.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If the bats are hot there no reason they cant beat them like they idd all year. What scares me a bit is if it does go for the yanks have Wright on the hill and i dont like that, but if they take care of business early hopefully they wont even get there

Time for AROD to become a hero or more of a goat.
I hate talking about ARod, about as much as I hate hearing about T.O.

Who knows what's going to become of him, but, Ill say this much... I think an awful lot of his future reputation rests on what's done this year.

Old
10-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Korpido

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I think we can win this series easily. Then again, I said the same thing in 2002 against the Angels and what happened. So we have to be somewhat careful.
I hope the Yankees aren't taking the Tigers lightly. They won 95 games this year for a reason.

With that said, this team is NOT the 2002 Angels. The 2002 Angels had a buzz saw offense that kept getting on base. The Tigers are a horrible On Base Percentage team filled with free swingers. The Angels had a young closer by the name of Fransisco Rodriguez, the Tigers have a washed up vet in Todd Jones.

And then there is the whole thing about having Kenny Rogers pitch in a post season game. Both Met and Yankee fans know what I'm talking about.

Go into game 1 with a killer instinct and this series will not see game 4.

Korpido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 07:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Tigers remind me of last season's Rangers.Detroit was in first place for 4-5 months until the last day of the season

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpido View Post
the Tigers have a washed up vet in Todd Jones.
Washed up vet? The guy had 37 saves and an ERA under 4. Not amazing numbers, but very servicable and certainly not "washed up" type of numbers. In addition, they have some very good other relievers (Zumaya, Walker, Rodney, etc).

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

Who knows what's going to become of him, but, Ill say this much... I think an awful lot of his future reputation rests on what's done this year.
Well hes had good numbers vs the Tigers this year, he eats their pitching up so everything is right there for the taking.

Old
10-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

They had a good record against the Tigers when the Tigers pitching staff was still going on all cylinders, and those pitchers tanks seem to be empty. I think the Yanks will win in 4(knock on wood of course).

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 12:07 PM
True Blue

Not facing Santana twice in a 5 game series is the best that the Yankees could have hoped for.
If the starters falter, they have to hope to be like the Angles when they won it all. Club the opposing starters and hope that your bullpen is superior.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not facing Santana twice in a 5 game series is the best that the Yankees could have hoped for.
If the starters falter, they have to hope to be like the Angles when they won it all. Club the opposing starters and hope that your bullpen is superior.
Yeah, def a good thing.

and, if the A's and Twins go 5 that really kills Santana's rotation for the next series if they win, cause youll know hell go in game 5.

Old
10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
That sounds pretty similar to the way the Rangers ended last year and we all know how that turned out.

Let's Go Yanks!
Yeah, that was pretty bad. Let's hope things are different this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I was at the game today for my birthday. Bernie Williams was manager and then came into the game to pinch hit and hit a double. Jeter said that he was selfish for pinch-hitting himself

I have to agree that I wanted the Tigers too. Lets be honest, this team has little to no playoff experience and we OWNED them this year. The only time they beat us was two games that Rivera was unable to save.

Happy late birthday...

As for Detroit, they don't even have a milligram of the momentum that the Angels had in 02. That team got hot at the right time. Same thing with Florida in 03...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpido View Post
I hope the Yankees aren't taking the Tigers lightly. They won 95 games this year for a reason.

With that said, this team is NOT the 2002 Angels. The 2002 Angels had a buzz saw offense that kept getting on base. The Tigers are a horrible On Base Percentage team filled with free swingers. The Angels had a young closer by the name of Fransisco Rodriguez, the Tigers have a washed up vet in Todd Jones.

And then there is the whole thing about having Kenny Rogers pitch in a post season game. Both Met and Yankee fans know what I'm talking about.

Go into game 1 with a killer instinct and this series will not see game 4.
Rogers is terrible in the postseason, I've seen it from both NY sides. I've seen him be downright terrible with the Yanks, and I saw him walk in the winning run for Atlanta in the 99 NLCS as a Met.

Detroit is a team that won 95 games because they got to face the Royals 19 times. The Yankees would have been at over 110 if they got to face Kansas City almost 20 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Just imagine if they had Liriano healthy... god that would be scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, def a good thing.

and, if the A's and Twins go 5 that really kills Santana's rotation for the next series if they win, cause youll know hell go in game 5.
Great point.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

This Jeter guy is pretty good...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Draft Guru

Derek Jeter is god.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Balej20*

Anyone who said Jose Reyes is better than Derek Jeter is just plain silly.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 11:46 PM
bk3nj

tough to argue with a 5 for 5 night from DJ, capped by a home run.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Hopefully anybody who ever said he was overrated will jump off a bridge now.

Old
10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Jade

The Captian is clutch. That Abreu guy isn't that bad either...

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
NYR2

Derek is ****ing amazing. No other words.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

my two jackass uncles conference called me [one's in Dallas, the other in NY] to discuss the game, while it was on... Abreu drove a few in, and I laughed, cuz I remember when we snagged him, some people were dogging him, cuz of his last few months in Philly... so I said "I cant believe we got that guy for a bag of baseballs" hahah... stole the bag o pucks joke... it was good.

Old
10-04-2006, 03:09 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

I'll freely admit I am an ARod fan and feel bad for the guy.

I think the clutch thing is overrated and I think it's another typical example of the NY media especially driving a story. They're like Pitbulls, once they get onto something they just never let it go.

No matter what he does he'll never win for some people. If he doesn't get into trouble and actually plays with a degree of class, he's obviously being phoney and needs to analyzed. If he goes 2-4 it's not enough because he didn't hit two HR's.

When a guy who did steroids and is batting .250 on the year starts opening his mouth, I really have to question who the "bad guy" is in these situations.

.290 with 35 hr's in an off year. Just hope it's not one of those things where people don't realize what they've got till it's gone.

Off year aside ARod is an AL mvp candidate just about every other year who can put up an amazing .310, 45 HR, 20 SB line. But of course what we'll here tomorrow is how he went 1-4 and not a peep about Matsui or Sheff going a combined 1 for 8.

The whole ARod situation continues to help me understand why so many athletes I worked with have such a negative opinion about NY. NY'ers really have a tendency to not help their cause with things sometimes. And as a native NY'er that pains me to say.

Go Yankees and go ARod.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote