Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The next 'Special K'? Torey Krug

Old
05-16-2013, 10:45 PM
finchster

vCash: 500
Let's put things in perspective, it was one game and Krug played 16 minutes. Not a bad game and I like the offensive element he brings to the club, but let's wait and see if his defensive game has improved enough to be an every day NHL player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
If Krug and/or Bartkowski can show some development in the playoffs it could give the GM confidence in replacing Ference and Redden.
Barring any trades I think Bartkowski is on the roster next season without a doubt. If both Redden and Ference walk we still need to sign a veteran defencemen. Our defence in Providence will be barren with no suitable call ups.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Forgot to mention Koko. I'm scared he'll bolt for Mother Russia. He's got the perfect game for the big ice. I'm really surprised he's had some defensive struggles, because when he was at Windsor he was actually a pretty good two way forward. Seemed really responsible. Of all the forwards in Providence he probably has the highest ceiling. He's got a high motor too for a small skill guy. Of the high profile players he's my favorite for making a mark at the NHL level, but he needs to live in the weight room and just get used to the Baby B's system, which is a lot like the Boston Bruins.
He has made it quite clear he wants to play in the NHL.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:08 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Torey Krug is the Shizit!! I remember when he first came up and played his first game, and I liked what I saw.. Sure enough look what he brought to the table tonight in an Eastern Conference semifinals game 1. Love his puck handling skills. Brings the puck out with speed. This guy turns defense into offense!!

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:27 AM
rocketdan9

Krug is a nhl player. Two way player , that accelerates around the ice pretty quickly but doesn't have high end speed. Physical, nice shot, crisp passing and i think had only 1 turnover tonight.

Hamilton, Bartowski, Krug = the next "three"

defensive lineup next year one way or the other should be

Chara Hamilton
Seidenberg Bartowski
Boychuk Krug

extras Mcquaid Redden

2015 (the lineup tonight)

Chara Hamilton
Boychuk Bartowski
Mcquaid Krug

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Looking forward to seeing Krug on the backline replacing Ference. This adds youth, offensive upside, and saves Peter some change on the cap.

The Bruins seem to be cornering the market on smallish, mobile, offensive D-men, what with Krug, Warsofsky and Grzelcyk. I really like Grzelcyk after seeing him a couple of times at B. U.

The OP made reference to the "Special Ks" we had in the pipeline a few years back. Krejci is the only one to rise to the star level. But this group of "K"s seems more likely to succeed, including Knight, Krug and Khokhlachev. There's a lot of talent there to be developed. Of the three, Krug is most likely to earn a spot on the ML roster soonest.

It's abundantly clear that the Bruins have a secret draft strategy.

Find prospects whose last name begins with the letter K.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Let's put things in perspective, it was one game and Krug played 16 minutes. Not a bad game and I like the offensive element he brings to the club, but let's wait and see if his defensive game has improved enough to be an every day NHL player.

Barring any trades I think Bartkowski is on the roster next season without a doubt. If both Redden and Ference walk we still need to sign a veteran defencemen. Our defence in Providence will be barren with no suitable call ups.

I'd love to see the Bruins add a clear upgrade in the top 4, if they can manage the cap. Someone like Carlson or Yandle.

Ference, Boychuk and Redden have a combined cap hit of $6.6 million. Yandle is at $5.25 million and Carlson is at $3.9 million.

McQuaid, Hamilton, Bartkowski, and Krug have a combined cap hit of $5.35 million so they are good value.

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Chara - Hamilton
Yandle - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
pgm16

Yep & Don Sweeney was ok

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:57 AM
nhsportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
Put him in the lineup as a forward and have him QB the power play as a 4th forward who knows how to defend. That would seem tailor made for a Clode team.

And he could not possibly contribute less than some current forwards.
This seems like a good idea, makes his size less of an issue and would get him on the NHL roster faster with less risk.

nhsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:50 AM
ODAAT

There`s a reason why Bart was included in the trade(s) that didn`t happen, teams scouts clearly see things in his game that they felt their teams could use. He`s been stronger than I anticipated which isn`t surprising seeing as I haven`t had the luxury of watching him and almost exclusively going on what`s said here and that`s often opinions varying on "this guy is going to be a great Bruin" to " this guy is a bust"

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I'd love to see the Bruins add a clear upgrade in the top 4, if they can manage the cap. Someone like Carlson or Yandle.

Ference, Boychuk and Redden have a combined cap hit of $6.6 million. Yandle is at $5.25 million and Carlson is at $3.9 million.

McQuaid, Hamilton, Bartkowski, and Krug have a combined cap hit of $5.35 million so they are good value.

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Chara - Hamilton
Yandle - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug
I love this idea, how are we going to acquire them though?

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Yandle will get creamed here once fans watch his consistently horrific defensive play

Love his offence, his D, in a D-first system, is Corvo-like

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Quote:

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Chara - Hamilton
Yandle - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug
As it stands the B's are about $6.5 mil under the cap for next year according to capgeek. They still have the Savard LTIR and they pretty much only NEED to sign Rask, but he is an RFA so that could be done relatively cheap. If you want to bolster D through UFA:

Gonchar, Sergei D OTT 39 $5,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Hainsey, Ron D WIN 32 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Streit, Mark D NYI 35 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Regehr, Robyn D LAK 33 $4,020,000 2013 (UFA)
Zidlicky, Marek D NJD 36 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Whitney, Ryan D EDM 30 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Hamrlik, Roman D NYR 39 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Scuderi, Rob D LAK 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)
Leopold, Jordan D STL 32 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Lydman, Toni D ANA 35 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)

I don't think they can acquire either Yandle or Carlson because they no longer have a 1st to deal this year and I think it would probably take that + (obviously) to get them. I don't think either team out take a 2014 1st for them. That would also seriously limit this team going forward. Carlson is under control until 2018 so I doubt he will be on the block. Yandle is probably the best option and most available with the Yotes, but it is a $5.25 mil cap hit and it's going to take serious resources to get him. Just doesn't sound like a good match right now. Chia handcuffed himself when it comes to making a big off season trade with the Jagr deal.

RupBoysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:23 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupBoysDad View Post
As it stands the B's are about $6.5 mil under the cap for next year according to capgeek. They still have the Savard LTIR and they pretty much only NEED to sign Rask, but he is an RFA so that could be done relatively cheap. If you want to bolster D through UFA:

Gonchar, Sergei D OTT 39 $5,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Hainsey, Ron D WIN 32 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Streit, Mark D NYI 35 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)
Regehr, Robyn D LAK 33 $4,020,000 2013 (UFA)
Zidlicky, Marek D NJD 36 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Whitney, Ryan D EDM 30 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Hamrlik, Roman D NYR 39 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Scuderi, Rob D LAK 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)
Leopold, Jordan D STL 32 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Lydman, Toni D ANA 35 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)

I don't think they can acquire either Yandle or Carlson because they no longer have a 1st to deal this year and I think it would probably take that + (obviously) to get them. I don't think either team out take a 2014 1st for them. That would also seriously limit this team going forward. Carlson is under control until 2018 so I doubt he will be on the block. Yandle is probably the best option and most available with the Yotes, but it is a $5.25 mil cap hit and it's going to take serious resources to get him. Just doesn't sound like a good match right now. Chia handcuffed himself when it comes to making a big off season trade with the Jagr deal.
Yes, giving up a 1st for Jagr will not look good if they don't get past the Penguins.
Best case senario is either lose to the Rangers or win the Cup!

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
stocker

Torey Krug

Krug reminds me of Greg Hawgood. Anyone else see this ?

stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Colt.45Orr

Dear Andrew Ference:

S'long... and thanks for all the fish.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
finchster

Quote:

Chara - Carlson
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Chara - Hamilton
Yandle - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug
You will not find anyone who wanted a clear upgrade in defence more than me, I've always wanted a Bruins team with two number one defencemen. I like Johnny Boychuk but I am not against trading him. But if Hamilton has a sophomore slump we are in a tough position next year, which is why I would hold off on trading Boychuk until the trade deadline next year. You can never have too many NHL defencemen like you can't have too many pitchers in baseball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
That's the issue with me, it will cost a top six forward. In the past I was willing to trade Krejci for a good young defencemen which I saw as a massive hole in the organization, but I've backed away from that because we have Hamilton now.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
KrejciMVP

Reminds me of chris letang, great to have this kid on board

KrejciMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

My only issue is that he isn't so strong along the boards in his own end.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Krug is a nhl player. Two way player , that accelerates around the ice pretty quickly but doesn't have high end speed. Physical, nice shot, crisp passing and i think had only 1 turnover tonight.

Hamilton, Bartowski, Krug = the next "three"

defensive lineup next year one way or the other should be

Chara Hamilton
Seidenberg Bartowski
Boychuk Krug

extras Mcquaid Redden

2015 (the lineup tonight)

Chara Hamilton
Boychuk Bartowski
Mcquaid Krug
great post....Dupont today compared him to Greg Hawgood and that is an excellent analogy.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
great post....Dupont today compared him to Greg Hawgood and that is an excellent analogy.
In the old days, a couple of games like that from a youngster and we'd have had Michael Karlstrom banging out a new manifesto for a Bruins off-season

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Kirk Luedeke was all over this guy when he signed...and has been in love with him since,,told me to keep an eye on him the day after he signed... Here is what he wrote about him May 3rd...

Upside: Blazing wheels, Einstein-like hockey intellect, and the heart of a champion power this pint-sized package of prowess. A power play ace who excels in space, beating opponents 1-on-1 and using his high-end offensive creativity to generate scoring chances from the blue line. Hes a natural leader and winner who inspires teammates with his old-fashioned work ethic and attitude.

Downside: The former Michigan State captain and free agent has a tougher time when the game closes up on him, but the Bs can mitigate that by pairing him with a bigger, more defense-minded player.

Outlook: Krug may not ever rise above the second pairing in Boston, but with his speed, sense and effort levels- could be a key cog on both power play and penalty kill special teams.

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/..._roundup-_10-1

Honestly, could he have been any more spot on?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:09 PM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Krug reminds me of Greg Hawgood. Anyone else see this ?
See post nine.

chizzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
It's abundantly clear that the Bruins have a secret draft strategy.

Find prospects whose last name begins with the letter K.
I wouldn't be surprised though! Danny Ainge supposedly uses some phrenologist out in the sticks of god knows where to make his picks.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
He has made it quite clear he wants to play in the NHL.
Couple years in busses and on the third line might change that, but I know you're right, he's been very clear on the subject.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
You will not find anyone who wanted a clear upgrade in defence more than me, I've always wanted a Bruins team with two number one defencemen. I like Johnny Boychuk but I am not against trading him. But if Hamilton has a sophomore slump we are in a tough position next year, which is why I would hold off on trading Boychuk until the trade deadline next year. You can never have too many NHL defencemen like you can't have too many pitchers in baseball.

That's the issue with me, it will cost a top six forward. In the past I was willing to trade Krejci for a good young defencemen which I saw as a massive hole in the organization, but I've backed away from that because we have Hamilton now.
A top six forward or a high end talent ala Hamilton. I like Douggie, but if you're getting Yandle or Carlson in return is it all that bad a trade off?