HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 11:25 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The Kings are slowly ruining hockey. It's the dead puck era all over again.
Not really. They don't clutch-and-grab or obstruct or anything like that. They run their show totally within the rules of the "free-flow" game. If anything guys like Sutter/Hitchcock should be applauded for adapting their traditional approaches to the game to the current system.

I for one think it's great hockey. Everyone back-checking, everyone finishing their hits, and everyone playing responsibly. It's come to a point where it takes a near-perfect setup/play or an astronomical mistake for a scoring opportunity to occur. And Niemi/Quick are displaying some lights-out goal-tending to boot.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Not really. They don't clutch-and-grab or obstruct or anything like that. They run their show totally within the rules of the "free-flow" game. If anything guys like Sutter/Hitchcock should be applauded for adapting their traditional approaches to the game to the current system.

I for one think it's great hockey. Everyone back-checking, everyone finishing their hits, and everyone playing responsibly. It's come to a point where it takes a near-perfect setup/play or an astronomical mistake for a scoring opportunity to occur. And Niemi/Quick are displaying some lights-out goal-tending to boot.
The Kings are most certainly clutching and grabbing and running interference in the defensive zone. They do it all game long. They tow the line just enough to get away with it most of the time. Just listen to the announcers during a kings game. The refs are always "letting them play." Letting them play just means that you aren't calling penalties that should be penalties.

It does take a nearly perfect set up play for a scoring chance. That makes for a dull as **** game though. I don't mind a low scoring hockey game. But when you go through a 20 minute period and there are maybe 4 scoring chances... there is something wrong with that. It's dreadful. I might admire the defensive capabilities of Hitchcock/Sutter. But their teams suck the excitement out of the games they play.

Old
05-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Hmm, I don't see it. I agree with TPH. Personally I enjoy watching it. Hard, physical, fast hockey where the goals scored are a result of perfect plays and extremely hard work. Not to mention both teams have healthy doses of skill and talent on their rosters.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Kings are most certainly clutching and grabbing and running interference in the defensive zone. They do it all game long. They tow the line just enough to get away with it most of the time. Just listen to the announcers during a kings game. The refs are always "letting them play." Letting them play just means that you aren't calling penalties that should be penalties.

It does take a nearly perfect set up play for a scoring chance. That makes for a dull as **** game though. I don't mind a low scoring hockey game. But when you go through a 20 minute period and there are maybe 4 scoring chances... there is something wrong with that. It's dreadful. I might admire the defensive capabilities of Hitchcock/Sutter. But their teams suck the excitement out of the games they play.
Maybe you watched the wrong game. I didn't see last nights game but game 2 was phenomenal. Just two teams going at it hard and last goal wins. The aspect I didn't like is the refs helping out with the late calls. That should've been SJ's game.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:53 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Maybe you watched the wrong game. I didn't see last nights game but game 2 was phenomenal. Just two teams going at it hard and last goal wins. The aspect I didn't like is the refs helping out with the late calls. That should've been SJ's game.
I think that not to go all philosophical on all of you but I think as long as there is integrity in the game, and regardless are viewpoint on whats a penalty as long as whats called a penalty is the same for both teams. How we interpret a penalty from regular season, to playoffs, to last minute of game, to overtime should have that fair and equal balance for either side. That may sound absurd but essentially way to many games are decided by officiating when your calling 10 penalties in the first period for either side. You either have the no hit league or you realize its a intense game and as long as scoring opportunities aren't being lost due to clutching and grabbing then your fine.

As fans we are hypocritical we don't want low scoring games of the dead puck era where you can sit on a lead, but at the same time we want to see end to end action when of course the goal is to win the game and retain that lead. River hockey is fine when both teams want to play it, but really even if you come close to that style you need a hybrid of another system.

The style for each team is different based on there level of talent. This is what makes hockey great in that its diverse. Teams like New Jersey Ottawa were successful more for clutching and grabbing then the trap 4-1 formation. Detroit used the 2-2-1 formation for the longest time, and even Chicago in close games will close up the blueline.

L.A. is a great team to watch in that they are actually use a combination of a few things, sometimes they dump and chase, they have guys like kopitar that can bring it through the zone they have guys who can work the corners, great goaltending. They have speed, skill, and size, that's the future or at least right now what makes a successful team

Those clutching and grabbing teams of the past, lacked speed, and often creativity, Size, and slowing down the game (clutch and grab) plus the implement of the trap made the game boring. This is great hockey to watch

Old
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think you can look at the makeup of the current Kings team and the great Devils teams of the Brodeur/Stevens era.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:13 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I think you can look at the makeup of the current Kings team and the great Devils teams of the Brodeur/Stevens era.
07 Ducks were a bit similar as well.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Philly85
Moody'

what a start to NY/BOS

Old
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
BlowbyBlow

As fans we lose sight that the make up of a team needs more than the goalscorers and playmakers, you need crashers, and bangers, agitators.

This is why the formula for any team has to employ different styles. We over emphasize also that you don't need an all star team but you do need really elite players on your team then you can fill holes easier. Its painfully obvious watching these games how far the Oilers are just based on filling holes, and yet having elite talent to go up against other elite talent.

As for the New jersey to La comparisons not even close that was dirty hockey and stevens is one of my favourite all time players, but you had clutching, grabbing stick work, trapping. L.A. is just your old fashioned north-south style throw pucks at the net, cycle and beat you down

Old
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Callahan showing us what a REAL captain is supposed to play like. What a ****ing joke of an on ice captain Horcoff is

Rick Nash is looking good this game too, I haven't watched the Rags this postseason, but it's pretty sad that a player with his skill set wouldn't have scored until today.

05-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Krug (sp?) looks like a player. Man I'd love to be able to get MacQuaid out of Boston or less likely Boychuk.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Another game with 0pts for Sequin and 6min of ice time.

What a difference maker.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

What a difference maker.
Does he even have a goal or any points this postseason?

Old
05-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Mr V

Quote:

What a difference maker.
He is beating Hall in playoff scoring by a point.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

What a difference maker.
Luckily for him he was drafted onto a good team, imagine if he pulled this kind of a disappearing act for our team? In their draft year I felt that Seguin might have more pure skill but that Hall's drive and willingness to pay the price was what our team needed more of. Thank God our scouting staff concurred.

Seguin gets a shift and doesn't even go to the front of the net when his teammate has the puck below the faceoff circle. Talk about not willing to pay the price.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i heard there was a rick nash sighting today

Old
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
i heard there was a rick nash sighting today
He was gone in a flash.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
He was gone in a flash.
Rick Flash?

Old
05-19-2013, 06:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Rick Flash?
trademarked

Old
05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
trademarked
Excellent.

Rick Flash™

Old
05-19-2013, 06:41 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Mike Babcock re: Zetterberg

Quote:
"Picking him as a captain was a no-brainer. You need your leaders to be your best players that elevate their game at key times if you're going to be a championship team. That's something we had with Steve. Something we had with Nick. And something we have with Z."
Cue Horcoff lifting the cup in 2014.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Excellent.

Rick Flash™
And now, we wait.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
I don't get how the refs keeping missing all these calls on Pittsburgh.

EDIT: Whatever this hockey is that the Penguins are playing, it's very unexciting.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Fuhryous

Is it just me or were Mario Lemieux and K.D. Lang separated at birth?

Old
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Is it just me or were Mario Lemieux and K.D. Lang separated at birth?
Is she old enough to be his mother, she must gave him up for adoption while on tour in Quebec.

Closed Thread