HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) III

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
We need a third liner who can pot 20 goals with minimal PP time for depth purposes. Why not get younger and turn Ryder into a guy who can skate and move up when guys are injured? Although if Gionta isn't ready to start the season/forced to retire we may be screwed on the right side if Kristo/Leblanc can't step in.

I'm almost more excited for this off-season than last. We knew there were contracts to wait out last season and the draft would be the main thing to look forward to. This is truly the summer where the roster shift really starts to take place, with next summer potentially being a huge franchise defining one.
If things don't start out well, I can see a lot of movement before the trade deadline and earlier in the season as well. Gionta, Markov, Diaz, Emelin, and Bouillon all have expiring UFA contracts.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
We need a third liner who can pot 20 goals with minimal PP time for depth purposes. Why not get younger and turn Ryder into a guy who can skate and move up when guys are injured? Although if Gionta isn't ready to start the season/forced to retire we may be screwed on the right side if Kristo/Leblanc can't step in.

I'm almost more excited for this off-season than last. We knew there were contracts to wait out last season and the draft would be the main thing to look forward to. This is truly the summer where the roster shift really starts to take place, with next summer potentially being a huge franchise defining one.
I think you'll be disappointed with the changes coming this off-season. I think theere will be very few of them. A couple of UFA signings, nothing very high-profile.

I agree that next year's off-season should be an important and exciting one though.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Habitant le colon

Elias can be a good idea ??!

Old
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Wouldn't sign here I don't think.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
I think so. If on a 1 year deal to play left wing with Pleks/Gionta, it could work out well assuming age isn't a negative factor for him. I see the team having a pressing need for a top 4 dman who can play 20+ mins/game to pair with PK pushing the other guys down the depth chart. And then another top 6 winger who MT can put with Plek's who is defensively responsible, and can also put the puck in the net.

Elias/Pleks/Gionta
Max/Desh/Bourque
Gal/Eller/Gal

That could work out well. Add some beef and another tough guy to the 4th line to help out Prust and the forwards would be in good shape.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Get John Gibson....

Old
05-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Draft

I am very interested in signing Weiss or Filppula. Fills in the offensive role of Ryder and potentially makes Plekanec movable for a big piece now or in the future. They can both play C/W and are both very good two-way players with decent faceoff ability.

Pacioretty-Fil/Weiss-Gallagher
Stewart-Eller-Gionta
Galchenyuk-DD-Bourque
Moen-Prust-XXXX

Sign Weiss or Filppula at 5milx5
Plekanec for Stewart (signed at 4mil)

Fun to mess around. Two moves and our top-9 looks very different. When Galchenyuk is ready to be moved to center in a top-6 role, Weiss or Filppula can be moved to the wing. Makes our roster bigger as well as fills the defensive role left by Plekanec.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Picaroon

Trade Moen for picks. Give Nystrom his money.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:31 PM
dcyhabs

More a matter of not losing players next year. Have to clear cap space and work out deals this year. Problem is the habs need big players more than other teams and are less likely to get them.

Old
05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I really dot understand the Clarkson love. New Jersey fans dont want him back for the price he will demand.

They have seen him play for a long time nd dont want him. Why would we? Is size really that important to Montreal? i dont think so.
Clarkson is a 3rd liner on a good team, he can contribute on the PP but doesn't generate enough offense on his own to be a full time top 6 on a good team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Stalberg? Really guys? Jeeze.
People want grit and toughness and Stalberg is anything but that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
what about going after pascal dupuis he doesn t get any power play time he is good defensively Pittsburgh probably won t be able to keep him
I wouldn't mind Dupuis but I have a hunch like Clowe and Clarkson he'd cost 4.5 mil or more. I think he's a 40-45 point guy outside of Pittsburgh.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
Trade Moen for picks. Give Nystrom his money.
How does that fix anything, Moen at his best is a better player than Nystrom.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:09 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

FORWARDS
Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Pascal Dupuis ($2.250m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.750m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Patrick Bordeleau ($0.750m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Steve Eminger ($1.500m)

Maybe wishful thinking that Louis Leblanc will forcefully bounce back, but a French connection of our own would be fun to see. Dupuis is a all around heady player and with the creativity of DD and the discipline and determination of LL, this would be of excellent 3rd line. Dupuis also brings a veteran presence to our lineup.

5th line center is a flip between Dumont and Bournival. Bournival has overall better tools and my guess is that Bournival in the mid-term has a better chance to stick with the big club.

We've played more without Gionta then with and still successfully. That is why I trade him. Prospects and picks - value depends on retained salary. Higher the retention, higher the quality of the prospects and picks.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
How does that fix anything, Moen at his best is a better player than Nystrom.
When was the last time Moen was "at his best?" I think those days are over.

Last edited by Picaroon: 05-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 04:58 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
DEFENSEMEN

Maybe wishful thinking that Louis Leblanc will forcefully bounce back, but a French connection of our own would be fun to see. Dupuis is a all around heady player and with the creativity of DD and the discipline and determination of LL, this would be of excellent 3rd line. Dupuis also brings a veteran presence to our lineup.

5th line center is a flip between Dumont and Bournival. Bournival has overall better tools and my guess is that Bournival in the mid-term has a better chance to stick with the big club.

We've played more without Gionta then with and still successfully. That is why I trade him. Prospects and picks - value depends on retained salary. Higher the retention, higher the quality of the prospects and picks.
Dupuis for 2.25? haha

Old
05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Dupuis for 2.25? haha
Dupuis will get at least 5 million on a 3 year term.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Zorba

Quote:
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN

SO your best 2 way centre is now playing wing. Makes a lot of sense....Btw, Dupuis will get a hell of a lot more than 2.25

Old
05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
SO your best 2 way centre is now playing wing. Makes a lot of sense....Btw, Dupuis will get a hell of a lot more than 2.25
Pleks and...?

Old
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
When was the last time Moen was "at his best?" I think those days are over.
It was just last year, not 1998. I'm not sure why he had a down year but it happens.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN

The ridiculous part of this post is having one of the best 2 way centers in the NHL playing wing and your 19 year old LW who can't handle the position yet is playing center.

LeBlanc needs to start AHL and get his game back on track, makes no sense to promote him next year(at least at the beginning).

Dupuis will probably cost twice what you have him at or more if he hits UFA.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I think you'll be disappointed with the changes coming this off-season. I think theere will be very few of them. A couple of UFA signings, nothing very high-profile.

I agree that next year's off-season should be an important and exciting one though.
That's what I see happening as well.

The D is set. It will be Tinordi, Emelin, Subban, Gorges, Markov, Bouillon and Diaz. Only way I see it change would be if Gorges or Diaz were traded. I'd be surprised if that happened.

Same thing in front of the net really with Price and Budaj.

Up front is where we might see a few changes, and where there is a bit of room to change the lineup. But I don't think there are any big names available. When you Clarkson is one of the biggest name out there that says everything.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The team just needs to continue to add in the character department.

I'd like an insurance on D, so that we are not forced to play tinordi if he struggles, and so that an aging bouillon wont have to jump into an increased role.

As far as the forwards go, I'd like a clarkson type. The emphasis on forwards does not have to be on pure speed, and skill. Rather, it would be a top 9 guy who can make a living in the interior areas.

All in all, I doubt it will be a splashy off season. I'll be mostly interested in how gallagher and galchenyuk size up in a full season, and to lesser extent, tinordi.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That's what I see happening as well.

The D is set. It will be Tinordi, Emelin, Subban, Gorges, Markov, Bouillon and Diaz. Only way I see it change would be if Gorges or Diaz were traded. I'd be surprised if that happened.

Same thing in front of the net really with Price and Budaj.

Up front is where we might see a few changes, and where there is a bit of room to change the lineup. But I don't think there are any big names available. When you Clarkson is one of the biggest name out there that says everything.
They can add a #4-5 stay at home type. Emelin may miss the start of the season plus Tinordi to me didn't look 100% ready, if MB really believes in depth on defense then you need a 2-3 mil veteran back there(Regehr, Fistric type). Once everybody is healthy you let the new guy, Bouillon and Tinordi battle for the 6th spot(Tinordi AHL unless he is a force).

Old
05-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The team just needs to continue to add in the character department.

I'd like an insurance on D, so that we are not forced to play tinordi if he struggles, and so that an aging bouillon wont have to jump into an increased role.

As far as the forwards go, I'd like a clarkson type. The emphasis on forwards does not have to be on pure speed, and skill. Rather, it would be a top 9 guy who can make a living in the interior areas.

All in all, I doubt it will be a splashy off season. I'll be mostly interested in how gallagher and galchenyuk size up in a full season, and to lesser extent, tinordi.
I know I'm repeating myself but I think Clarkson won't come at a price that will fit in the pay scale in 2-3-4 years. I expect him to get something like 5 years 22.5 mil or 4 years and 18 mil.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:15 AM
DAChampion

Enough with the "character"-nonsense, it's loser talk in my opinion.

What this team needs is excellence. We need another Kovalev-type player who has gamebreaking ability, the type of player who makes us as good as any team in the league when he's on his game.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:18 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Enough with the "character"-nonsense, it's loser talk in my opinion.

What this team needs is excellence. We need another Kovalev-type player who has gamebreaking ability, the type of player who makes us as good as any team in the league when he's on his game.
We need better character and better skill. More so skill.

Upgrade the skill portion and the character portion will maybe rise up and play up to their potential if they feel the skill side is pulling its weight. So you are right we need an infusion of skill more than anything right now.

Closed Thread