HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Ribs Gone, Habs Get Niinimaa

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Pat

vCash: 500
from the 3 AMIGOS to the 3 AMIGONE

Old
10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
JV

Addition by subtraction.

Plekanec gets the shot he deserves. The team sheds a guy who just wasn't a Gainey/Carbonneau type player. The team gets more cohesive. Perezhogin gets to stay put. We get a bit of added depth on the blueline.

Good move.

Old
10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
from the 3 AMIGOS to the 3 AMIGONE
Gone Ribs Gone....

Go Habs Go

Old
10-01-2006, 07:03 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Guy was our 4th best scorer and people still demanded more from him...Sure it wasn't the best season but by the looks of the pre-season he was gonna have a good one this year. Let's just hope that Grabovski will be ready next year cuz Pleks really shouldn't be a 2nd line centerman.

Shabutie;6627921
Quote:
That's horse ****...You can say what you want about him but Mike actually wanted us to win. Sure some nights he sucked big, but he would still try. If it wasn't for his small frame it would have been easier to notice. Half of the guys on this team don't give a **** weither or not we win, they just care about when their next paycheck comes in.
And how do you now that?? Plekanec has put up decent numbers every were hes gone and he brings a nice two way game. he can kill penaltys and most importantly hes a passer and kovalev can exel with a player like plekanec. Ribeiro never been able to step his game up to another level when the habs needid him the most. When koivu and kovalev went down last year in november ribeiro was no were to been seen. When koivu went down in the playoffs and the habs needid ribeiro production ribeiro was invicible and hell he was outplayed by a first year player in plekanec. I dont have a problem with ribeiro pts production but the thing is, you can never count on him for big games when you needid a big performance from him. Plekanec as a first year player has done something that ribeiro has never been able to do. that is to step up in the playoffs. When koivu went down in the playoffs plekanec line was the best out there. Last night the habs needid a win to finish off the preseason on a good note and plekanec line was the best.

Last edited by oli500: 10-01-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
Shabutie;6627921

And how do you now that?? Plekanec has put up decent numbers every were hes gone and he brings a nice two way game. he can kill penaltys and most importantly hes a passer and kovalev can exel with a player like plekanec. Ribeiro never been able to step his game up to another level when the habs needid him the most. When koivu and kovalev went down last year in november ribeiro was no were to been seen. When koivu went down in the playoffs and the habs needid ribeiro production ribeiro was invicible and hell he was outplayed by a first year player in plekanec. I dont have a problem with ribeiro pts production but the thing is, you can never count on him for big games when you needid a big performance from him. Plekanec as a first year player has done something that ribeiro has never been able to do. that is to step up in the playoffs. When koivu went down in the playoffs plekanec line was the best out there. Last night the habs needid a win to finish off the preseason on a good note and plekanec line was the best.

Plekanec is a player you can count on it. You always know he will deliver his 100% on the ice. Ribs is totally the inverse..Ribs is like a "half" Kovalev he play good 1 game out of 8 and thinks his production is done for the year.

Old
10-01-2006, 07:29 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Well we all know how well Ribeiro played last season when Koivu was hurt. He was neutralized by the opposition checking lines. He certainly didn't play any better when the Habs were at home, when his coach(s) had the advantage of the last line change to better play Rib's line.

I like the trade overall. I don't think Ribeiro adjusted to the newer, faster NHL. He played his best, when the league was at its worst for hooking, grabbing, and overall slow play. He doesn't play better on the wing as we also saw last season, and when he concentrated on his defence, his offence suffered greatly, even when Koivu was back on the #1 line. Janne N. was injured for at least half the season, and played through a bad ankle injury that he tried to play through but ultimately required surgery in the offseason. He described himself as at 90% back on Sept.14.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/hockey/15516389.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'de like to know where Ribs fits into Dallas' plans. Modano, Lindros, Ribs, Stefan etc. I really doubt he'll be 2nd line centre, so other than a spare part in case Lindros gets hurt again, I really don't see him doing anything in Dallas that would see him do better then he did here last year. Niinimaa however is coming to play with his good friend Koivu, and will not be asked for the 20+ minutes he used to and is injury free. Over all it clears a spot for the kids who want to be here, gets rid of a bad influence and brings in some more depth on the blue line, all for $500k more. Good deal? No great deal!

Old
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
So, he would had done well with guys like Latendresse and Higgins for exemple...

Just another waste and mismanagement of asset by Gainey. Remember wasting Beauchemin and Hainsey for a big 0... ?

Not only did he signed Traverse two days too early but he traded his second best centerman for an over-the-hill-worse-than-Brisebois- type of defenseman. Another Euro on top of that !
Its strange that all my bashers are always looking rididulous like this in the long run

Carbo played Latendresse with Ribeiro and Kovalev against Ottawa and it didnt work, Dubé said he liked Latendresse with Plekanec way better...

Ribeiro wasnt our second best center.. Just too weak, too slow to be a good one.. If only the guy had a shot but he hasnt... This is a great trade, Plekanec will complement Kovy and Sammy perfectly while Bonk can center a third line easily.. Even without getting something in return, just the fact to get rid of Ribs is a good move.. He was clearly not fitting in the picture, maybe as a spare watching most of the games from the pressbox and replacing Bonk once a while but the guy makes 2 millions..

Koivu and Pleks are clearly superior to Ribeiro while Bonk will prove to be a better option than Ribs this season.. The guy didnt have a good season last year but looks way more dynamic right now.. He has size, skate well, good stickhandler and solid shot... Not the most creative with the puck but bring something different to this team.

Ribeiro sucks face it!

Old
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Other than Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, Rivet (even if he isn't great) can you name another player who would rather be here than anywhere else (even if offered a ginormous deal)?
No, I can't, nor can I say they don't want to be here, and neither can you might I add, this is pure speculation based on nothing else than apparent efforts deployed. Some players are soft, others are inconsistent, it doesn't mean they don't want to win or are hockey mercenaries. Have you seen Perezhogin's face when he scores a goal? It has IMO more to do with personality than motive. I'm not saying they'd all rather be here than anywhere else, but there's quite a leap between that and your initial "they only care about their paycheck" comment.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
So, he would had done well with guys like Latendresse and Higgins for exemple...

Just another waste and mismanagement of asset by Gainey. Remember wasting Beauchemin and Hainsey for a big 0... ?

Not only did he signed Traverse two days too early but he traded his second best centerman for an over-the-hill-worse-than-Brisebois- type of defenseman. Another Euro on top of that !
Hey.

Bigot.

We don't need fans like you. Hell, we don't need *people* like you.

Honestly, how can this person not be instantly shown the metaphorical door?

Old
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You know, I'm sensitive to the local representation on the team. Some fell it's irrelevant, I think it matters to a degree. Having said that, you don't think this is getting ridiculous ? Another Euro ? If the Alouettes trade Etienne Boulay for Jason Tucker, is it ok to complian, 'another black ' ? It's getting to be a bit much. It seems Gainey preferred to spend $ on a depth d man, whom he hopes will rebound, rather than Ribeiro. We'll see. You think for a day or 2 we can leave race out of it. Or is it ok as long as we're careful which group we complain about ?
NO ONE would complain if a francophone pick turns into Patrice Bergeron, but I would hate to see a first rounder is wasted on an Eric Chouinard. Janne Niinamaa can help plug a hole that exists right now. Mike Ribeiro couldn't even take the place of Traverse on D.

Old
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
The rat pack is finally gone....
... in the nick of time, before Latendresse was corrupted.

Old
10-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Other than Koivu, Higgins, Latendresse, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, Rivet (even if he isn't great) can you name another player who would rather be here than anywhere else (even if offered a ginormous deal)?
Ribeiro's civic pride doesn't compensate for his weaknesses.

Old
10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy! View Post
Hey.

Bigot.

We don't need fans like you. Hell, we don't need *people* like you.

Honestly, how can this person not be instantly shown the metaphorical door?
Thank you so much for the compliment. Especially from a fan, hell, a person like you !

Last edited by habitue*: 10-01-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old
10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Ribeiro's civic pride doesn't compensate for his weaknesses.
Never said it did, but when someone says that he wasn't "passionate" or didn't want to be here, he's out of line.

Old
10-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
... in the nick of time, before Latendresse was corrupted.
Honestly, if Latendresse is corruptable, it's not like Ribeiro is going to be the X-Factor that will decide his fate.

Montreal's not exactly Bible Camp, if you catch my drift.

Old
10-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Honestly, if Latendresse is corruptable, it's not like Ribeiro is going to be the X-Factor that will decide his fate.

True, to a certain extent. Though there's something to be said for attitudes rubbing off on one another.

Take a look at Avery. As soon as he became a King, he felt he could act like a total *** without classy veterans around.

Old
10-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
yeah but, luc robitaille was there and he said those things while he was there and robitaille is also french. So i dont know if it really mattered. Latendresse should just pay his dues and be a team guy.

Old
10-02-2006, 01:11 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post

Ribeiro wouldn't make it better. At least there will be no late nights at Buena or Globe.

Although my sister worked at Buena for a while and she said that the main Habs there were Streit and Aebischer. No joke!

waffledave
Old
10-02-2006, 01:43 AM
mayday199

Hmmmm

I dunno, I just read through 22 pages of whether this deal was worth it or not and it seems that about 50% of people say we lost the deal, about 35% say we got the better of it and the rest are bruin, leaf, islander, dallas or colorado fans who have to come here to put in their 2 cents worth because their is no conversations going on over on their own boards!

My opinion is that this is a mildly positive deal for gainey and the reasons why are as follows:

1) It shores up the current defensive situation with the injuries to boullion, cote, souray and such.

2) streit does not have to play more minutes than he is ready to. (I'm a fan of this guy but if he doesn't get more aggressive in the D-Zone he should be gone.)

3) Just before boullion gets back we get to see what flashy deal gainey has set for this year. (A nice Blockbuster trading Abbie, Souray and a prospect or two for a premier forward might be nice {Lecalvier anyone? A man can dream})

4) Ribiero doesn't get a chance to corrupt Lats with his lackluster effort, defensive irresponsibility and Social scene.

5.)Niinimaa might actually be pretty good if he sees no more than 15mins a game, He did have ankle surgery in the off season and has only had really one bad year (last year)

6.) We have to get defencemen from somewhere and the last thing I wanna see is Patrick Traverse playing 30 games this year. No offense to patrick but sorry dude, we're making those playoffs!

Anyways, Gainey was not dealing from a position of strength, he needed D-man depth and he wanted to get rid of riberio, the writing was on the wall for some time on that. Sure we lose 600k in cap space but it does open up another spot for one of our rookies and they all can't play on the top 2 lines in the AHL. Think about it, if you know Lats is Ready, Perezhogin is rdy and you have Chipchura, Grabovski, Locke, Kostistsyn, Lapierre , Ferland, Aubin, D'agonisti and Urquhart all on the bulldogs, How do they all continue to develop? Kost will be playing in the NHL this year for the majority of games I think and Grabovsky will probably make about 10-15 towards the end of the year so Gainey is ready to play the waiting game this year on which Rookies are gonna break out.

Old
10-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You know, I'm sensitive to the local representation on the team. Some fell it's irrelevant, I think it matters to a degree. Having said that, you don't think this is getting ridiculous ? Another Euro ? If the Alouettes trade Etienne Boulay for Jason Tucker, is it ok to complian, 'another black ' ? It's getting to be a bit much. It seems Gainey preferred to spend $ on a depth d man, whom he hopes will rebound, rather than Ribeiro. We'll see. You think for a day or 2 we can leave race out of it. Or is it ok as long as we're careful which group we complain about ?
Well I do know the Oilers have lots of Western Canadians (with lots from the Edmonton area) so I dont think its bad to have local kids. But Janne is of more help to the team than Ribs. I don't like Ribs period, however I can see Niinnima rebound this year and this will look great.

Old
10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Oiler fan here. Janne is Euro but he doesn't play Euro hockey. Here in Edmonton he did anything he could and always gave it his best. He could play physical as well. The Habs are my 2nd favorite team so I hope he regains the form he had in Edmonton instead of the form he had in New York.

Old
10-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Hockeymom67

Just as well .Lats will get most of the attention this year and I 'm not sure this would have pleased Ribs

Old
10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ribeiro wouldn't make it better. At least there will be no late nights at Buena or Globe.

Although my sister worked at Buena for a while and she said that the main Habs there were Streit and Aebischer. No joke!

You always tell ******** about the players personnal life. It's not credible at all anymore but even if it was true it would be really classless.

To quote Marge in a recent Simpson episode where she's annoy by an old pretentious friend who became famous: "STOP THE NAMES"

Closed Thread