HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL source: Johnson may be willing to sign following season

Old
09-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
NHL source: Johnson may be willing to sign following season

An NHL source familiar with the situation said that Johnson would be willing to sign with the Kings after his college season.

and to quote JJ:

"I think it's unbelievable to maybe get a chance to play with Rob Blake," Johnson said. "The guy is going to the Hall of Fame, and I could be in the same locker room with him. This is just an exciting day for me."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Yes Jack, you can be in the same locker room with Blake. DL would be happy to accomodate you. But remember, Blake only has 1 more year on his contract after this season, so you gotta come out after this season.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
More from Raleigh Newspaper...

"They're understanding of the situation," Johnson said of the Kings. "They knew what I was thinking. ... I never had any intention of not playing for the Hurricanes. I'll play for anyone who wants me."

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:12 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Quote:
So instead of Johnson in the future, the Canes have Gleason now, a 23-year-old who has played 125 games in the NHL over the past two seasons. A first-round pick in 2001, he had 21 points in 78 games for the Kings last season. He is under contract through 2008 at $1.75 million per season.
Is: $1.75M
Should be: $1.175M

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 12:28 AM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

"Following season", which means after JJ's final semester/college hockey season, correct?

Anyone know when that might be?

I'm assuming he'd be doing something like Matt Carle did last year, when he joined the Sharks at the tailend of the season....

JonathanTwinkleToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:18 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
"Following season", which means after JJ's final semester/college hockey season, correct?

Anyone know when that might be?

I'm assuming he'd be doing something like Matt Carle did last year, when he joined the Sharks at the tailend of the season....
Apparently the season ends in late February, but it'll come down to when Michigan is eliminated from the post-season.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:29 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

I hope Mich loses

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie018 View Post
I hope Mich loses

Booooo!

There's no rush to get him in this season IMO.

10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
RightKinger

Johnson Quickly Makes L.A. Shift

Quote:
"The L.A. Kings, the spotlight, the marketing there, I was thinking this was a great opportunity," said Johnson, a 19-year old sophomore. "I know some of the players out there, like Patrick O'Sullivan, Dustin Brown. I skated with Mathieu Garon last summer. I'm going to love it whenever I do get a chance to play in L.A."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 10:41 AM
RightKinger

Brushfire Fairytale For Kings

Good Article -
Quote:
But what's truly perplexing about this situation is that the Hurricanes were actually the ones trying to rush Johnson to the NHL. While he's got enormous potential, Johnson will benefit greatly from another year's experience playing for Red Berenson in Michigan. That he wants to remain in school is admirable, because he's passing on millions of dollars today and because he's delaying his eligibility for unrestricted free agency. Clearly, his education and the opportunity to play for Berenson means a lot to him.

And with the NHL's CBA granting players unrestricted free agency after seven seasons of service, one has to wonder what the 'Canes were thinking. Yes, Johnson could have helped them on the blue line this season. But there's little doubt whatsoever that Johnson will be a far better blueliner when he's 26 and 27 than when he's 18 and 19. By staying in school, Johnson was actually serving the Hurricanes' best interests. Ironically, it was also the reason why they traded him.

Old
10-01-2006, 10:57 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger
"The L.A. Kings, the spotlight, the marketing there, I was thinking this was a great opportunity," said Johnson, a 19-year old sophomore. "I know some of the players out there, like Patrick O'Sullivan, Dustin Brown. I skated with Mathieu Garon last summer. I'm going to love it whenever I do get a chance to play in L.A."
At least someone appreciates the effort it takes to come up with all those slogans.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:34 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
At least someone appreciates the effort it takes to come up with all those slogans.
i'm pretty sure his agent told him about this...

10-01-2006, 06:56 PM
RightKinger

This article has a little more info -
Quote:
"I talked to him after the trade," Lombardi said, "and I just asked him: is that his wish, to stay in school? He said yes, and I have no problem with that, and I actually think that we were prepared to be patient when we made this deal. I think, in the long run, it will be good for him to spend another year there, and then, certainly, evaluate it in March when his season's over. Ron Hextall called [Michigan head coach] Red Berenson right away, and told him that if that's what [Jack] wants to do, we're behind him. Don't worry, he's not going anywhere, and we'll review it in March."
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/...092906aag.html

Old
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
deano

As happy as I am with the acquisition and handling (respect) for JJ's wishes, I'm equally glad to hear Boyle's positive response and opinion of the organization. This team looks to be crazy good in a few years.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote